Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
V
Legend
Legend
V
I wasn't aware that it was a board requirement to have to ignore hypocrisy.

I guess we are even.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Your whole point was made around not to knee jerk because of "Johnny lately" and what he was before.

My point is that he was always a jackass and admitted as much himself.

Maybe that makes him a classy jackass

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T

Haslem "We don't tolerate irresponsible players"

...so umm...why draft them?

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T

Guys I was hoping someone would answer this on here..as I don't have the answer...

With the policy change in the NFL...doesn't it benefit Gordon...if Gordon messes up again isn't he just suspended an amount of games...and not a ban or year ban (like Blackmon had)...I thought I read somewhere how the rules changed and it would benefit Gordon...thus improving our trade chances...I could be totally wrong idk

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: tru_dawgs

Guys I was hoping someone would answer this on here..as I don't have the answer...

With the policy change in the NFL...doesn't it benefit Gordon...if Gordon messes up again isn't he just suspended an amount of games...and not a ban or year ban (like Blackmon had)...I thought I read somewhere how the rules changed and it would benefit Gordon...thus improving our trade chances...I could be totally wrong idk

Last I saw if he goes 24 months without a failed test, he can apply to be removed from the program...

I'd prefer to get rid of him before he's allowed "free reign" again..

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
M
Rookie
Rookie
M
Originally Posted By: OverToad

You questioned me on my belief he had intangibles. I offered reasons why he did, then backed it up with Donte Whitner saying he did. Those are the same intangibles...wait for it...that he showed in college.

Even if Johnny has these great intangible traits, are they better than Hoyer's? Look man, Hoyer stunk it up and it was time to pull the trigger and start Johnny. Well, he not only sucked on the field for 6 quarters, he also acted like a punk. At least Hoyer commands respect.

This is a guy who has said he wants to live the life of a 22 year old.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Manziel has found out the hard way, that shining the spotlight on yourself can result in being blinded by the light.

Let's take the past couple of incidents.... first the elevator thing, and now the late for IR treatment.

So when you have such a public persona, people who have no business seek you out, it is reported first as an all out brawl between his entourage an later we find out it was at his elevator at his residence.

Now the missing IR gets reported as a party, so good that it caused him, Gordan and Gilbert to be late. Well, except for the fact that there may have been no party, Gordon was not there late, and Gilbert for whatever reason misses the meeting in Baltimore.

I don't know the truth, but the reality of the situation is that when you call attention to yourself in such an obvious way, people believe that your ego is too large, and they will mock you 10 times harder than if you exhibited some manners and presented yourself as a diligent person and hard worker. Opposing players flash the money sign in your face, and put a little extra effort in their tackles.

Even your team and fans of your team have concerns about your behavior and some despise you even tough you have done nothing as yet to demonstrate such disdain. Fans of your team will cheer for your failure.

When you make comments, such as I could do better, the first thought comes to mind is "yeah, I remember those photos that the party boy took in Vegas", maybe that explains why he does not know the playbook.

You are a distraction to the team, every move is critiqued with a negative context. Why, because you wanted the spotlight, but failed to realize that it shows blemishes and can be quite unforgiving.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Originally Posted By: ChargerDawg
Manziel has found out the hard way, that shining the spotlight on yourself can result in being blinded by the light.

Let's take the past couple of incidents.... first the elevator thing, and now the late for IR treatment.

So when you have such a public persona, people who have no business seek you out, it is reported first as an all out brawl between his entourage an later we find out it was at his elevator at his residence.

Now the missing IR gets reported as a party, so good that it caused him, Gordan and Gilbert to be late. Well, except for the fact that there may have been no party, Gordon was not there late, and Gilbert for whatever reason misses the meeting in Baltimore.

I don't know the truth, but the reality of the situation is that when you call attention to yourself in such an obvious way, people believe that your ego is too large, and they will mock you 10 times harder than if you exhibited some manners and presented yourself as a diligent person and hard worker. Opposing players flash the money sign in your face, and put a little extra effort in their tackles.

Even your team and fans of your team have concerns about your behavior and some despise you even tough you have done nothing as yet to demonstrate such disdain. Fans of your team will cheer for your failure.

When you make comments, such as I could do better, the first thought comes to mind is "yeah, I remember those photos that the party boy took in Vegas", maybe that explains why he does not know the playbook.

You are a distraction to the team, every move is critiqued with a negative context. Why, because you wanted the spotlight, but failed to realize that it shows blemishes and can be quite unforgiving.

Nicely put

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
'Skip Bayless says Johnny Manziel is an alcoholic liar'

http://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2014/12/2...-alcoholic-liar

P.S. Who is Skip Bayless? I never heard of him until ^that^ article.

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Skip Bayless is an ESPN talking head... and one of the "Stars" of "First Take"... His claim to fame is stirring up most of the Tim Tebow debate. "First Take" is a show where two talking heads argue about sports topics.. kinda like what we do here... lol

The Cleveland Browns - WE KNOW QUARTERBACKS ( Look at how many we've had ... )
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Bayless is likely correct about the part that alcohol is at the root of Manziel's problems. There could be a chance that Manziel's problems go beyond alcohol.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Originally Posted By: ChargerDawg

well said

A
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
A
Well stated, ChargerDawg.

Legend
Legend
Yup.

Outta the ballpark.

thumbsup

"too many notes, not enough music-"
O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Originally Posted By: DjangoBrown
Your whole point was made around not to knee jerk because of "Johnny lately" and what he was before.

My point is that he was always a jackass and admitted as much himself.

Maybe that makes him a classy jackass

Hehehe...Ummm...Donald Trump is a classy jackass. Manziel is just a rubber-stamped, pompous one. You are right. He has always been one. It was always a race to see which would happen first: He grows up or he ruins his career. Right now JFF is winning so Johnny Manziel is *this* close to drinking it all away. Lucky us.

MAC, no, I wasn't calling you an idiot. I'm saying Haslam would be one to do that. Of course I happen to think Haslam is something of an idiot, so if you said I was calling him that, yeah, I was.

We do agree though that his talk is cheap. So far he's shown nothing greater than what the previous owners have shown. He's Jerry Jones-Light, and that makes me a sad man.

I would REALLY love some true evidence indicating Haslam forced Farmer to take Manziel in the way Holmgren forced Heckert to take Weeden.

Or would I?

Maybe I don't really want more evidence showing Haslam playing with his big-boy toys when he has no business doing so...

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: OverToad

Donald Trump is a classy...

You lost me.

Legend
Legend
Well done Charger.. I wonder, did anyone explain that to JM?

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Won't speak for the rest of us here, just my sweet self, but I cannot and I refuse to say that I can see JM as "the face of the Browns." Has to look up to see bottom. We had to take a look. We have. Next.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
Legend
I guess that I cannot hear him until at least one is gone. Wouldn't mind picking meself.
Kind of a hearing aid.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
V
Legend
Legend
V
I am not saying JM will be good, but do you really think 7 quarters is enough to evaluate a QB who came out of college two years early and ran an offense that was not like NFL offenses?

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
a QB who came out of college two years early and ran an offense that was not like NFL offenses?

Question for you - since I am new to the boards and you seem like you have a good feel of the Browns..

Based on your comments - do you think with that lack of experience and a non-pro O scheme in his past, can he be taught fast enough at this level to win? If so, how many season do you think it will take before he is ready?

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness." [Mark Twain]
V
Legend
Legend
V
Good question, Dawg.

I had JM rated as my number 2 QB coming out of the draft. Bridgwater was first.

Based on what I have seen, I was wrong about that. JM looked like crap in his limited play. His game against the Bengals might have been the single worst performance that I have ever seen at QB. He gave me no hope.

I have been defending him because people are ripping him unmercifully while ignoring things that Gordon and Gilbert have done. I just like to keep a balance on the board, if that makes sense.

I am not going to write off JM yet, because 7 quarters is not enough time to judge anyone, but it doesn't look good, man.

I saw things that he did in college that he is not doing now. I don't know.........really, I don't. It's too early to give up on him, but the leash has to be short, because as of right now..............he is stinking the joint out.

Legend
Legend
I'd say if he can be accurate, and learn the system, then there's no reason he can't succeed.

There's a certain balance between physical skill and the mental side. The greats are great at both. Or really great at one of them. But when you tip to one side only a little, but not the other, you end up with guys like Ken Dorsey or Derek Anderson..

During the first 10 weeks I thought our offense was perfect for Manziel. Good running game, play action, roll outs.. For some reason when he got in it all changed..

Its up to him really. He has to put in a lot of work.

Last edited by ThatGuy; 12/30/14 10:46 PM. Reason: Ken Dorsey.. not Kellen Moore

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Obviously Manziel had red flags going into draft, but I didn't hear a peep about Gilbert- by most accounts he was the number 1 rated DB. So what happened with this guy. Why did he turn into an entitled punk, and how come we couldn't figure this out before drafting him??

V
Legend
Legend
V
Let me get more technical in this response. Unlike some posters who just say stupid stuff like.....Mettenberger is going to be a stud or Bridgewater should not be drafted before the fifth round, I actually do study these guys and have some idea what to look for.

Technical notes:

--JM's footwork this year was atrocious. His 3-step drops were about 6 or 7 and his 5-step drops were around 10. That can't happen, as it affects his balance and the timing of the throw. It is just as bad as guys like Weeden and Timid holding the ball forever. The ball must be delivered on time and you can't do that if you are indecisive like the latter two or hyper like JM was.

--JM is short. That can be overcome if you are like Brees and/or Wilson and throw through the lanes. JM did not do that. He was trying to throw over the top and his passes either got batted down or sailed on him. That is a huge issue.

--JM was not calm in the pocket. I have no problem w/a guy taking off. I hate it when Ben takes off on us. Wait til next year when Wilson burns us on the ground. However, you have to remain calm as long as you can. Step up in the pocket, buy time, deliver strikes, and only resort to running if you have to.

--On the positive side, JM did pass well in the pocket in college. Most people don't realize that, but it is true.

--JM was an exceptional leader in college. His teammates in the pros have not dissed him. They have went after Gilbert, but not JM.

--JM was pretty accurate in college.

--JM made more secondary reads than many other gimmicky offensive qbs, such as Mariotta, Bradford, Kapernick, RGIII, etc

What happens down the road...........I am not sure. It does not look real good, but I would not give up on him yet.

I do wish we would have drafted Teddy. He was right there and we let him go.............Brown's football in a nutshell.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I don't know. I didn't know much about him before the draft and I really don't know much now, but I have never seen a guy get ripped by his teammates and coaches as much as he has after just one season.

It's unprecedented.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I don't know. I didn't know much about him before the draft and I really don't know much now, but I have never seen a guy get ripped by his teammates and coaches as much as he has after just one season.

It's unprecedented.

V
Legend
Legend
V

It's unprecedented.

V
Legend
Legend
V

It's unprecedented.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Let me get more technical in this response. Unlike some posters who just say stupid stuff like.....Mettenberger is going to be a stud or Bridgewater should not be drafted before the fifth round, I actually do study these guys and have some idea what to look for.

Technical notes:

--JM's footwork this year was atrocious. His 3-step drops were about 6 or 7 and his 5-step drops were around 10. That can't happen, as it affects his balance and the timing of the throw. It is just as bad as guys like Weeden and Timid holding the ball forever. The ball must be delivered on time and you can't do that if you are indecisive like the latter two or hyper like JM was.

--JM is short. That can be overcome if you are like Brees and/or Wilson and throw through the lanes. JM did not do that. He was trying to throw over the top and his passes either got batted down or sailed on him. That is a huge issue.

--JM was not calm in the pocket. I have no problem w/a guy taking off. I hate it when Ben takes off on us. Wait til next year when Wilson burns us on the ground. However, you have to remain calm as long as you can. Step up in the pocket, buy time, deliver strikes, and only resort to running if you have to.

--On the positive side, JM did pass well in the pocket in college. Most people don't realize that, but it is true.

--JM was an exceptional leader in college. His teammates in the pros have not dissed him. They have went after Gilbert, but not JM.

--JM was pretty accurate in college.

--JM made more secondary reads than many other gimmicky offensive qbs, such as Mariotta, Bradford, Kapernick, RGIII, etc

What happens down the road...........I am not sure. It does not look real good, but I would not give up on him yet.

I do wish we would have drafted Teddy. He was right there and we let him go.............Brown's football in a nutshell.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Bengals game nothing went right and Johnny got the blame for it. He sucked but everyone sucked that game. The Bengals rushed 4 and and ran right past our OL like they werent even there. Probably the worst OL performance we have had since 99. Even when the OL protected the receivers dropped the ball if johnny actually got it to them.

It is weird but several teams had game like that this year. Talk of the Pats were done for. Steelers completely blown up. Bengals a walking disaster. Giants worst team ever. Seattle can buy a win. 49ers have completely imploded.

I hope that is all that it was. 2nd game I actually liked some of what I saw from Manziel even though the Panthers D blew up some great designed plays and good execution.

Manziel just needs to learn a little more patience and let the game come to him. I would have an intern put together every play drew brees has run and have Manziel study it. I think that is where his game needs to go. Stop the designed runs. learn to be Brees in the pocket but run when u need to.

I dont want him to turn into a statue but learn to move within the pocket and run like hell when things open up.

P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:
JM was an exceptional leader in college. His teammates in the pros have not dissed him.

Do you think anyone in that locker room thinks of him as a leader and not a joke?

Joe Thomas just referred to him as a bad apple and said that starting him equated to raising the white flag.

I don't know that I'd call that a 'diss', but I've never heard a left tackle talk that disparagingly about a QB on his team.

M
Rookie
Rookie
M
Originally Posted By: PDR
Quote:
JM was an exceptional leader in college. His teammates in the pros have not dissed him.

Do you think anyone in that locker room thinks of him as a leader and not a joke?

Joe Thomas just referred to him as a bad apple and said that starting him equated to raising the white flag.

I don't know that I'd call that a 'diss', but I've never heard a left tackle talk that disparagingly about a QB on his team.

This is one of many areas where I think Johnny has too much ground to make up; the respect of his teammates. Gonna be hard to earn that, much less be a leader.
I imagine JT, Pettine and everyone is tired of answering questions about Johnny. The Browns knew it would be a circus and hoped his performance would outweigh the drama.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Quit making stuff up.

He said bad apples, not bad apple.

Last edited by Versatile Dog; 12/30/14 11:29 PM.
P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Quit making stuff up.

He said bad apples, not bad apple.

And in the plural 'apples', was Manziel a part of the bunch?

My point is, the term 'leadership' and 'Manziel' have no business together. This isn't College Station.

He just told the media 'I didn't try this year, I wasn't prepared, but that ends here', and then three days later, he 'overslept' and didn't show up for work.

I don't see college kids at A&M getting behind him as any evidence that he'll be able to lead anyone at the NFL level.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Your point is poisoned because you had your mind made up before the guy ever got here.

Your posts reek of agenda and you--and arch--are the only reasons I am defending JM.

P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Your point is poisoned because you had your mind made up before the guy ever got here.

Your posts reek of agenda and you--and arch--are the only reasons I am defending JM.

I had my mind made up before he got here, because before he got here, he displayed all of the traits that I pointed to as evidence of him not being a good bet for success in the NFL.

He is the Bluto Blutarsky of the NFL right now. He's a laughingstock. An opposing coach called him a 'midget' that wasn't worth paying attention to, and then had his team mock the guy to his face while they harassed him. And that was after our left tackle warned that starting him would signal the white flag. And then he overslept after telling the media he didn't prepare this year.

That's not an 'agenda'. That's just pointing out things that have happened in terms of evidence that he's viewed as more of a joke than a leader.

Pointing out that college kids got behind him at A&M does not make for a convincing argument.

M
Legend
Legend
M
J/C...

Manziel put out a video he made reflecting back on his rookie year.

Here it is, if interested. I found the 'deserve a bit of a break' comment confusing.

M
Rookie
Rookie
M
What's confusing? He needs to relax and kick his feet up. That's how he gets better for 2015.

Seriously though, what is his deal? Needs to keep his mouth shut, stop whoring for attention and get better at football.

A
Legend
Legend
A

??????????????????

Why are you dragging me into this? You agree with almost everything I've said about John...........yet you say you are defending JM because of ME?????? You've stated basically everything I have about manziel. Tell me, what have I said about him that YOU haven't? Or rather, I'll tell you: NOTHING.

You're just pissed because I don't gripe about Gilbert "enough" (in your opinion)

Grow up. You aren't all you think you are.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Jimmy Haslam: We won't tolerate irresponsible players

Link Copied to Clipboard