Print Thread
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
B
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
B
seems we are on the same page smile

Attitude is everything....FEAR THE ELF!!!
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
We need to re-sign Hoyer. Manziel clearly is nowhere near ready to execute this offense. Nor does the current QB class possess the ability to start day one.

Hoyer, while reflecting on the season and reading other impressions, went downhill once Mack was injured and Gordon returned. He tried to press too much with the long ball, couldn't get the ball out quick enough, and then relied on circus throws for a big play. The running game breaking down greatly impacted his play. I say we keep our Alex Smith while trying to improve the offensive cast around him.

Draft a QB in the future; first see if Manziel will ever have the light come on in his head.

Last edited by RocketOptimist; 12/30/14 05:27 PM.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: archbolddawg
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog

Laughable? How so?

Bridgewater played behind perhaps the worst OL in football.

He lost the best RB in football.

His WRs were not that good and one of the guys we cut was perhaps their best WR at the end of the year.

What's laughable is your take on QBs. Some of the ratings you gave guys in your QB thread were hilarious.

And yet, Hoyer played most of the season without what was last years best wide receiver, played without a pro bowl tight end for the vast majority of the season, played most of the season with 2 rookie running backs with ball control/fumblitis, played with punt returners that thought they were stationary after a catch, and lost a pro-bowl center early in the season.

Why do excuses for one qb (bridgeater) hold water, but excuses for another not hold water?

That's actually a very reasonable question....

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
E
Legend
Legend
E
When I do my amateur evaluation I don't evaluate him while he is being hit or while he doesn't have a pocket to step up into. When I talk about his footwork being bad. Let me use the example - We needed a first I think it was Hawkins did a deep out to get the first.

Hoyer dropped back - there was some pressure from the middle right...he side stepped and moved his pocket a bit left. Trouble was gone. No pressure coming up to him from his face. He didn't not transfer his weight he threw off the back foot and the pass came up about 5 yards short. There was no reason or excuse for this. That is what I'm talking about all of a sudden he went into this funk and seemed to lose his footwork. I am not an agenda person and would skew my evaluation. The reason for doubt areas cause of other variables I always exclude those from the evaluation.

Accuracy - the long pass missed on Gabriel where he had a good 5 yard jump and Hoyer threw it 10 yards over his head. As I said one time ok stuff happens in this funk period too much too often. All the while Back up QBs I'm watching are hitting these opportunities. But I mentioned these cause they were obvious. His accuracy was all over the place. He had Dray in one game right in front of him 10 12 yards ahead sitting in a zone. Hoyer with no urgency threw the ball 5-10 yards over his head for an INT. Accuracy. Again by itself if that was all there was - he gets a pass. But in his funk this happened more n more. Too much and there was no injury involved. It was before Gordon came and after.

Yeah I understand Rhythm most of the Rhythm is on Hoyer not somebody else and of course I'm excluding the times where he had no control over the rhythm due to disruption.

Just too inconsistent and probably why the Coaches will evaluate him and won't pursue him unless its him coming back for a Back up job. We will sign a Sanchez or possibly Cousins due to his experience with Shanny. I personally would prefer Sanchez than Cousins.

Might go that route. I don't think they would offer Hoyer a contract remotely looking like a Starting QB contract.

JMHO

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
If Brian Hoyer doesn't want a ridiculous amount of money to come back I wouldn't mind bringing him back or letting him compete for the starting spot, I just don't think this franchise is ever going to get anywhere with him leading the way. He isn't a bad QB, he's smart, he works hard and he has the respect of the locker room but he just doesn't have the arm talent to ever be anything special. The ladder half of the year all he did was over or under throw receivers, and he struggled with inaccuracy issues and arm strength. Quite frankly he needs everything around him to function perfectly for him to be effective.

I understand that we were limited with our weapons a majority of the year but that doesn't really excuse some of his mechanical flaws and arm strength issues. If our running game isn't working and our defense isn't creating a bunch of extra possessions, Hoyer just isn't capable of carrying the offense on his back. It's not a knock on the guy, it's just true, he played his worst football of the year down the stretch when the games got more important. He helped us win 7-games but was just as responsible for 6-losses this year.

If we can't get someone like Sam Bradford or Nick Foles than sure, make a big push to bring Hoyer back.

"You can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave"
Damanshot #909940 12/30/14 08:03 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
Was my reply to him equally reasonable? smirk

PDR #909942 12/30/14 08:04 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
I always loved Cutler's talent and I have defended him, but my goodness, the guy had great receivers and an outstanding RB in Chicago and they stunk it up.

He plays w/no passion. I wonder if this guy suffers from depression. That is not an insult in any way. In fact, it's a concern.

P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
He plays w/no passion. I wonder if this guy suffers from depression. That is not an insult in any way. In fact, it's a concern.

I think that's a pretty big leap to make.

It's entirely possible that he doesn't really like playing football much, but it's the best way to earn a living.

If a plumber didn't have a passion for plumbing, you probably wouldn't ponder if he was depressed.

Some guys don't enjoy the game. We usually talk about them like it's a mental issue, because most of us would love to play the game for a living and don't consider an alternative.

PDR #909949 12/30/14 08:12 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
It is a big leap, but I have had experience in knowing a person who suffers from depression and I see things in his eyes and his body language. Again, it is not an insult at all. It should actually bring him some compassion if true.

Legend
Legend

Let's make one thing perfectly clear:

The Browns will win nothing if they do not find a ten plus year solution at quarterback.

So all these band aids solutions will not accomplish the goal of winning a championship.

Sam Bradford is not a free agent.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000442139/article/sam-bradford-in-st-louis-rams-plans-for-2015

However asking about him would not hurt. He would be the only guy worth going after. He is not made of glass he had 2 torn ACL's on the same knee and would have to be medically cleared.

A bold real move is in order. Tampa has the first pick and more than likely will take Mariota maybe Winston but I doubt that. They also need a solution at QB. It is very possible that they will not entertain offers. However you can always call and ask. You would have to come real strong with a one time offer.

I would offer them: 2015 both first rounders, 2016 first rounder, Josh Gordon and Johnny Manziel. And I would sign Marcus Mariota if they accepted.

Everybody will go Mr. Bill on that with a collective "Oh No". Our precious first rounders. Well answer me this: tell me how good Richardson, Weeden, Taylor, Mingo, Gilbert, and Manziel have been in changing this team?

Let me repeat: The Browns will not win anything without a ten plus year solution at quarterback.

You debate all you want about Mariota. As a professional prospect he just under Luck and above Griffin.

So there it is I said it and I believe it. Bring it

bonefish #909956 12/30/14 08:51 PM
P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:
I would offer them: 2015 both first rounders, 2016 first rounder, Josh Gordon and Johnny Manziel.

If I was Tampa, I'd ask for a few more mid-round picks and tell us we can keep the two losers.

Seriously, who do people keep talking about Gordon and Manziel like they have trade value?

Gordon has never completed a full season with any organization without being suspended, arrested, or failing a drug test. Who is willing to gamble that this behavior will stop?

Manziel is a project QB without an NFL skill set who is a headache and potential liability off the field, who looked like a kid who won a contest on the field

Who, exactly, is going to see those two as players worth giving up assets for?

What would our response be if Farmer shed picks for guys who fit those bills?

E
Legend
Legend
E
We need a veteran QB for next year or we will be slaughtered with that schedule.

No Craps Given
T
All Pro
All Pro
T
I'm reading that Tampa Bay is going after Mariotta. Well, they'll want McCown to teach him, but they must not want Glennon. We'd have made the playoffs with Mike Glennon as our QB all season. They guy has a cannon arm and threw 19 TDs and 9 picks as a rookie. He is WAY better than Hoyer, and still has upside. I would be thrilled to have him come in and tell Johnny, you think you're better, beat that guy out.
I wonder what it would take to get him.

eotab #909960 12/30/14 09:09 PM
B
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
B
I hear ya eo. There is no doubt that something went wrong about midway thru the season. I'll be honest, i don't have a clue why that stuff happens. Hoyer did float a lot of passes right before he was benched.

I'm not making excuses so much as trying to rationalize why. I guess I tend to be a lot more lenient because i think guys that are playing in their first season (and Hoyer was) probably have so much crap going thru their heads that the deserve a bit of slack.

I just think all these qb's that we shuffled thru here got a crappy hand dealt to them. I think you judge a guy with a few years in a system, then you can see what you probably have. Before that? I'm not so sure.

Maybe they think we are better with someone else, all i know is that whoever we get should get some time.

MrKelso #909961 12/30/14 09:10 PM
B
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
B
we'll see what they do, I just wish we knew sooner rather than later.

Legend
Legend
We need to stop coming up with somewhat reasonable ideas...

Were just ganna disappoint ourselves.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
It's amusing how many people are saying it is all about the QB, yet last year, the majority of the board wanted us to draft Watkins w/our first pick and most of you wanted no part of one of top QBs.

I do love the consistency around here. willynilly

I was part of that group and still am! thumbsup

bonefish #909968 12/30/14 09:20 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:

I will bring it by saying that I think Mariota is a terrible prospect. He is a one read qb who frequently reads LESS than half the field. He is not accurate when pressured. He is a great athlete playing in a system that exploits the lack of talent on the defensive side of the football in college.

bonefish #909969 12/30/14 09:20 PM
B
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
B
Bring it? lol

I have no clue what we do. All I do know is if they think that guy is the next Luck, then maybe you do something like that. Problem is that tampa needs a guy like that too. Why would they if he is so great?

Washington was stupid for selling their soul for RG3. I would rather draft someone from the lower rounds and sit them for a few years and develop them. Insert a Hoyer, or whoever, for a few years.

Manziel needs to sit and learn, most rookies do.

And this staff didn't pick all of those guys. Jury is still out on Gilbert and Manziel.

Our run defense was better when taylor was in the game, and mingo seems to be playing better. Don't know how you count richardson, because he's the Manziel pick.

What team has its last 6 first rounders all playing at a high level? Seems to me that you think every other gm is just batting 1000, and we are striking out.

HewDawg #909970 12/30/14 09:21 PM
P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: HewDawg
[quote=Versatile Dog]It's amusing how many people are saying it is all about the QB, yet last year, the majority of the board wanted us to draft Watkins w/our first pick and most of you wanted no part of one of top QBs.

I do love the consistency around here. willynilly

How is not wanting any of the QB's at the top of a given draft class not consistent with or antithetical to the notion that the QB is the most important position on the team?

HewDawg #909972 12/30/14 09:22 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
LOL..........at least your consistent.

How did that turn out for you, btw? You loving that Gilbert pick?

Last edited by Versatile Dog; 12/30/14 09:22 PM.
Legend
Legend
LOL..........at least your consistent.

How did that turn out for you, btw? You loving that Gilbert pick?

I loved it at the time..

Don't hate it now.

IMO he'll be fine.

I admittedly wanted nothing to do with Watkins, and while he's talented I don't think he was worth #4 overall (plus a 1st) But was shocked and excited with the pick of Gilbert.. somewhat because I feared we traded up to 8 to take Manziel..

Last edited by ThatGuy; 12/30/14 09:45 PM.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
ThatGuy #909979 12/30/14 09:49 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
Will you explain why you think Gilbert will be fine?

Seriously man...........he has received more criticism from his teammates and coaches than any player who has ever played for the Browns.......and this is year one.

What the hell makes you---and others--besides blind homerism and wanting to blame EVERYTHING on JM feel he is going to be okay? He freaking stunk this year!

Legend
Legend
Because he's a talented player..who's young and immture. We brought in guys like Dansby and Whitner to be leaders.. Let them lead him..

Hell if he's not late for the final meeting are any of these articles written about him? Beyond that transgression, he's just been an inconsitent player..

ThatGuy #909987 12/30/14 09:58 PM
P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Hell if he's not late for the final meeting are any of these articles written about him?

Considering the majority of them were written about him before he was late to the final meeting?

Yeah.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
well these problems ( noted by coaches and teammates ) is most disconcerting ( as is his getting beat out by a UDFA), and obviously if he is unable to correct those then all this is mute and he will be nothing more than another is the list of busts.

But at the end of the season, I saw better ball awareness, smoother hips and more confident coverage.... now he still has a LOOOOONG way to go, and frankly seeing him early he almost HAD to improve, but I am not closing the book just yet

#gmstrong

A smart person knows what to say.

A wise person knows whether or not to say it.
bonefish #909994 12/30/14 10:04 PM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: bonefish

Let's make one thing perfectly clear:

The Browns will win nothing if they do not find a ten plus year solution at quarterback.

So all these band aids solutions will not accomplish the goal of winning a championship.

Sam Bradford is not a free agent.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000442139/article/sam-bradford-in-st-louis-rams-plans-for-2015

However asking about him would not hurt. He would be the only guy worth going after. He is not made of glass he had 2 torn ACL's on the same knee and would have to be medically cleared.

A bold real move is in order. Tampa has the first pick and more than likely will take Mariota maybe Winston but I doubt that. They also need a solution at QB. It is very possible that they will not entertain offers. However you can always call and ask. You would have to come real strong with a one time offer.

I would offer them: 2015 both first rounders, 2016 first rounder, Josh Gordon and Johnny Manziel. And I would sign Marcus Mariota if they accepted.

Everybody will go Mr. Bill on that with a collective "Oh No". Our precious first rounders. Well answer me this: tell me how good Richardson, Weeden, Taylor, Mingo, Gilbert, and Manziel have been in changing this team?

Let me repeat: The Browns will not win anything without a ten plus year solution at quarterback.

You debate all you want about Mariota. As a professional prospect he just under Luck and above Griffin.

The Heisman seems to be the kiss of death for QBs wanting to play in the NFL..
NFL.com - Recent Heisman Winners in the FNL

Quote:
Winning in the NFL is rare for Heisman QBs
Since 1950, 27 quarterbacks have been selected as the Heisman Trophy winner. Of those 27, only 20 started at quarterback in at least one NFL game. Among those 20, only four quarterbacks have a winning record in the NFL (regular season). Robert Griffin III is the only Heisman winner with a career passer rating over 90 in the NFL (90.8). Since 1950, the combined NFL winning percentage for quarterbacks who won the Heisman Trophy is under .500 (480-501-4, .489).

I am wondering just how well the college game - with all the rushing yards by QB's - is transferring into the needed pocket passers in the NFL. I wonder why you think Mariota will be different?

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness." [Mark Twain]
T
All Pro
All Pro
T
The problem with Gilbert, even if he does become a starter, is we didn't need him at that slot. We foun an UDFA who beat him out easily, Desir looks better and we have Haden and Skrine. Why did we go CB there? Fans said it then, and we have a right to say it now.
If we'd have made the deal with Buffalo and then taken Beckham or Evans, we could say we really nailed it. Got a better receiver than Watkins and got the pick.
But we took a CB who made 29 tackles. Might as well have kept McFadden.

Legend
Legend
Williams didn't beat out Gilbert.

They play different positions.

ThatGuy #910000 12/30/14 10:10 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V

Sorry, I am not buying it. Gilbert has received more criticism from his teammates and coaches than any player I can ever remember. Y'all like to point out every JM misstep, but Gilbert is getting ripped way more by the people in the know.

What makes matters worse is that he is getting paid more. He was drafted higher. He was almost handed the starting job.

He freaking blew it. How arrogant and stupid do you have to be to say that you would rather sleep in than study like K. Williams has?

Seriously, man..............how freaking wrong is that?

ThatGuy #910001 12/30/14 10:11 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
What?

Legend
Legend
Playing outside and playing the slot are two different positions.

Ask Nnamdi Asomugha

Legend
Legend

Sorry, I am not buying it. Gilbert has received more criticism from his teammates and coaches than any player I can ever remember. Y'all like to point out every JM misstep, but Gilbert is getting ripped way more by the people in the know.

What makes matters worse is that he is getting paid more. He was drafted higher. He was almost handed the starting job.

He freaking blew it. How arrogant and stupid do you have to be to say that you would rather sleep in than study like K. Williams has?

Seriously, man..............how freaking wrong is that?

Aren't you tired of typing this?

You post it every single time anyone says anything about Gilbert.

We get it. Gilbert is the devil and should be crucified.

ThatGuy #910014 12/30/14 10:28 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
Hilarious.

Go check out the number of posts about JM being the devil as compared to the number of posts about Gilbert being the devil.

I just love when you guys get all upset at receiving a dose of your own medicine.

Legend
Legend
Are you really that upset because more people talk about one of the possibly most high profile QBs in recent memory than a Corner?

Justin Gilbert could of killed someone wth his car, or had an illegal gambling ring, and still not got the coverage Manziel gets..

ThatGuy #910031 12/30/14 10:47 PM
T
All Pro
All Pro
T
Originally Posted By: ThatGuy
Williams didn't beat out Gilbert.

They play different positions.

Fair enough, but if Gilbert would've been a stud from the beginning, it would've been he and Haden at corners and Skrine at the slot. We did not use No. 8 overall to get a backup to Haden. K. Williams got more time and played a lot better.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Excuse me...
Isn't this thread supposed to be about Hoyer? I am confused... superconfused

Legend
Legend
'Brian Hoyer won’t rule out a return to Cleveland'

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/12/30/brian-hoyer-wont-rule-out-a-return-to-cleveland/

Posted by Darin Gantt on December 30, 2014, 4:09 PM EST

The Browns benched Brian Hoyer so they could play first-round pick Johnny Manziel, and then General Manager Ray Farmer said he couldn’t rule out using a first-round pick on a quarterback.

Despite all that — or perhaps because of it — Hoyer is open to staying.

“He loved Cleveland and he loved the fans, his teammates,” agent Joe Linta said, via Jeremy Fowler of ESPN.com. “He would have no problems coming back as long as it’s a fair competition.”

Of course, the definition of fair could vary, depending on your perspective. There will be jobs open, possibly starting jobs. And as Hoyer has established himself as part of the solid, dependable, unspectacular middle class (much like Ryan Fitzpatrick), the chances of his finding a starting job aren’t out of the question.

But it doesn’t sound like the Browns are thinking it’ll be there.

“If he wants to be back, that leverage is definitely in his court to make that happen,” Farmer said. “I would say from a business perspective, people don’t always see eye-to-eye. Your value for how you see something vs. how I see it doesn’t always come together. That’s how things don’t happen. That’s something for Brian’s agent and I to work out.”

For the agent, it would be crazy to rule out any possibilities in a free market.

Even it seems crazy for Hoyer to go willingly back into that situation.

(end)

V
Legend
Legend
V
It sounds like he won't be back. That's too bad.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: WSU Willie
I am not laughing at people for saying our biggest need is a qb. I agree w/that take. I was bringing up that most of the board did not want us to draft a qb in the first round last year, even though it was a pretty good draft class for qbs---certainly better than the crap that is coming out this year or that came out the year before. Most posters wanted us to draft Watkins last year and not a qb.

I believed then, and still believe, that we should have drafted Bridgewater at the top of the draft.

I would have never guessed in a million years that we could have had Teddy, Beckham Jr., and Buffalo's first round pick. You can't predict stuff like that, but I do know one thing..........if we had taken Teddy, we wouldn't be having all these QB conversations now.

I thought the QB draft class was far from good...I wouldn't have selected any of the "top 4" in the first round.

I think Teddy will be a very average to below average QB...time will tell. To pretend that he has shown thus far to be "the answer" is laughable.

We should have gone after Garropolo.

Laughable? How so?

Bridgewater played behind perhaps the worst OL in football.

He lost the best RB in football.

His WRs were not that good and one of the guys we cut was perhaps their best WR at the end of the year.

The people in Minnesota are raving about him. Not sure how you get "laughable." And then you turn around in the very next sentence and say we should have gone after Garrapola. How has he proven to be better than Bridgewater? I am not saying he won't be better, but what has he done to prove to be better?

What's laughable is your take on QBs. Some of the ratings you gave guys in your QB thread were hilarious.

You stated that you KNOW that if we had TB on our team right now we would no longer be having conversations about who should be our next QB. THAT is laughable...fall down on the floor holding your side laughable...and for more than just TB's play/promise.

I like Garropolo much better than TB. Size, release, arm strength...all of it. I don't expect you to like it as you are heavily invested in TB...as I said, time will tell. YOU are the one stating that TB is said to be the savior in MN...I'm not claiming Garropolo to be a savior anywhere...I just like him more.

I missed your posts in my QB threads...must have been deleted or something. Apparently you have an opinion but you don't have the ability or willingness to share that opinion...you'd rather just throw stones. You must be too busy obsessing over why a 1st Rd CB isn't being criticized as much as a 1st Rd QB who had pre-draft, hype/self-hype that rivaled Bosworth and RG3.

It appears to me that your suggestion for fixing our QB problem is to get into a time machine, go back to the 2014 draft, and selct TB. I am getting quite the kick out of your man-crush on TB.

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Re-sign Hoyer

Link Copied to Clipboard