Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Dave Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
Cleveland Browns GM Ray Farmer holds season-ending press conference (transcript)

BEREA, Ohio -- Cleveland Browns General Manager Ray Farmer addressed the media at a 10 a.m. press conference.

He answered questions about this past season, the quarterback situation moving forward, Josh Gordon and more. Read the transcript courtesy the Cleveland Browns.

Opening statement:

"End of the year, so thank you everybody for attending my end of the year synopsis for how the Browns played this year. I would tell you it was invaluable for us this year in setting a foundation that we think that's going to put our team in the direction that we want to be able to achieve sustainable success. I guess the simple term for me that I would say is the word...It was 'necessary.' We went through this year. The things that we embodied and the things that we kind of accomplished this year brought us back to seeing the good and the bad. There are positives and negatives. I would tell you there are two sides to this season. We started in a direction where there were some positives early. Then, there were some negatives late. I think those are obvious, and I think in that instance we learned a lot about ourselves. We learned a lot about our culture. We learned a lot about that foundation that we're trying to lay, and it's not perfect right now. It's going to require us sanding some edges and making some adjustments, and we recognize that. I would also say that we're obviously not happy with how things finished up at the end of the season. Our goals are to sustain winning over a long period of time here, and we fell short of that goal this year. I'd also like to say that from my point, I think it'd be a discredit to the players, the staff, the coaches, everyone that was involved in this thing not to really requisitely look at positives that were accomplished this year. Bringing meaningful football to Cleveland in the month of December is I think something we should hang out hats on and be positive about, as well as the ability to start to establish a culture of creating accountability, the next man up philosophy I think that 'Pett' (Head Coach Mike Pettine) talked about during the course of the year was important for us, and moving this foundation and this franchise forward towards our goals at the end of the day is really what we're focused on here. There are a lot of things that we really want to make sure we get across. I think that from Coach Pettine, (Owner) Jimmy Haslam, (President) Alec Scheiner, myself, all believe that at the end of the day this is about creating a culture where we consistently win, and at the end of the of the day we find a way to bring championships to the city of Cleveland. With that in mind, I'll open it up for questions."

On QB Johnny Manziel talking a good game again yesterday to the media saying he wants to be held accountable and he wants to change his behavior and if he believes Manziel:

"I would tell you that the words don't mean anything. I'm not a big word guy. It's all about action. I think that's really where we're at in time, and I think that's for everybody. I think that's what all of our players and our coaches and our staff, everybody with this organization want to see. That's what our fans want to see. It's about action."

On if he thinks Manziel can still develop into an elite quarterback:

"I do think he can develop into a solid starter in this league, yes. I think that the sample size that's available is, like you said, small. I'd say to that end, we all have got to be patient. I think there's an opportunity for the guy to make changes. It's up to him if he's going to make those changes, but I think the talent is in his body to accomplish that."

On if he expected Manziel's off-the-field actions when he drafted him:

"I would say there's a notation and there's an idea of what Johnny is. Some of it's true. Some of it's not true. There are pieces that everybody comes to understand because that's what gets reported. There are pieces that people don't get to understand because that's never reporter. I'll tell you that there's good and bad, and sometimes we hang our hats on the bad a little too much. There's good in there, and there are things he can hang his hat on to move forward with."

On the good things about Manziel that others don't see:

"I do think that he cares. I do know he's competitive. At the end of the day, I'll be frank and candid and say that it's obvious but he does need to grow up some, and that maturity issue's there. Beyond that, I do think that there are redeemable qualities that can help him improve himself over time."

On what Manziel showed him as a player to make him think that he could be a starter:

"The same things he showed me in college. I think he can be consistently accurate with the football. I do think he has mobility to escape the pocket, and I do think that his desire and his competitiveness give him an edge that a lot of players don't have."

On saying that Manziel can be a solid starter and if that's good enough:

"Yes."

On if he needs Manziel to be an elite starter:

"I'd ask I don't know how many elite starters exist. In my mind, I would say there are no more than four or five of them in the league at any one point in time. I would say that if that's the case then the vast majority of the league plays with guys that are not elite starters. That classification, in my mind, is a very small class when we use the word 'elite.'"

On if he has the culture he's talking about when DB Justin Gilbert, WR Josh Gordon and Manziel acted the way they did over the weekend:

"Yes. Like I said, I think the foundation is heading in the right direction, but it's not perfect. This is the first year of an organization moving forward, and there's going to be times when things aren't exactly how you want them and you've got to make those adjustments and those changes as things move forward."

On if he will release Gilbert, Gordon or Manziel:

"That'll be a conversation that we have between the staff and the coaches. We'll make that determination, and then if it does happen it'll happen in time. It won't happen today."

On if the Browns are looking to develop Manziel into their starting quarterback or they don't know if they can count on him and have to find other people who can start next season:

"I would tell you that we're constantly in search for guys that we think improve our roster. I would say all of the above. He'll be given every opportunity to contribute and compete, and he'll also have to compete against guys that could be draft choices. They could be free agent selections. They could be any number of stones that we overturn to try to find the right guy to bring in here to help improve our roster."

On what happened to the running game in the last half of the season and what he does to fix it:

"I think there are a lot of things that happened. I would also contend that it's probably a better question for Pett. From a personnel perspective, I think that we've got to continue to improve our roster. We've got to continue to try to find guy that win those one-on-one battles. Football is the ultimate team game in my mind, but it's made up of a collection of individuals. Those individuals have to be able to, again, adhere to and prosper in the next-man-up philosophy. You never know when your names going to be called. Regardless of the injuries, I know there was a lot made of Alex Mack going down, and I won't minimize that because I think the guy's a really, really, really, really good football player. In that instances though, he's just one piece of a puzzle, and the puzzle's got to work in unison in order for it to be successful."

On Manziel being on South Beach, if Manziel has been cleared to leave and his reaction to videos on Manziel partying:

"Pics may be authentic. Everybody was allowed to leave here yesterday. They'll be back next week. Everybody was given the first several days to detox from the season, and people will be back in town starting Monday. Assuming he is in South Beach and he's down there, that's his right to have right now, and he'll be back assuming that that's what happens."

On what he thinks of QB Brian Hoyer, Hoyer's future and how he played this season:

"I think Brian Hoyer did some good things for us this year, and at the end of the day his future is in his hands. He's a free agent now that the season's over with. When we get to the new league year he'll be a free agent, and he has decisions that he needs to make."

On Hoyer saying that he'd like to be back if he's wanted back and Pettine saying that he's not sure that circumstances would allow Hoyer being re-signed to happen:

"I'd say both parties are right. I'd say if he wants to be back that leverage is definitely in his court to make that happen. Assuming that we could agree to that deal and what that deal looks like, then that opportunity's available. If we can't come to that agreement then he obviously would not be back. I think that there's a lot of work to be done in that regard. I would say, from a business perspective, people don't always see eye to eye. Your value for how you see something versus my value of how I see it doesn't always come together, and that's how things don't happen. That's something probably for Brian's agent and I to work out, Brian will have, obviously, a lot of input in that. We'll have the conversations as to how we think Brian can help our roster moving forward in the next upcoming week or so."

On if Hoyer can be a solid starter and if Hoyer was a solid starter for the first nine games:

"For the first nine games, absolutely. He was credible, functional, gave us a chance to win games. We won seven games, and again, at the end of the day football's a team game. I think way too often we make a lot out of the fact that this one guy was the impotence behind success. I think when you really break down the game there are a lot of reasons that teams win and lose ball games. It's not always the quarterback's fault that he won or that he lost. It's not always his fault that he lost or he won. As I look at it, I think it's pretty simple. A guy's got to be given the chance to compete, and if he competes and does the things that are necessary to help us win games then that's generally enough."

On how the wide receivers played this year:

"Thought they played well. Again, I'm a believer that this whole notion that you've got to have this one guy that's the silver bullet is a myth. I think it's like trying to catch werewolves and vampires. They just don't exist. I'm a big believer in it's a team sport, and when we combine the requisite skill sets necessary to let guys have success we have that success. We saw that earlier this year that we were missing certain key components that people thought were high-value targets and assets for us, but we played team football. As a result of that, we were able to have success."

On if WR Josh Gordon coming back messed that up in any way:

"Again, no one person causes or derails anything. We as a group have to overcome whatever obstacles we have, and we didn't do that late in the year. I wouldn't put that on Josh. I wouldn't put that on any one individual."

On how he thought Mike Pettine did in his first year as the Browns head coach:

"Excellent. I like Pett. I think he's a really good coach. I think that he's very deliberate with our players. He's very deliberate with his messaging. He's very aware and astute of the things that need to happen and transpire, and he carries that message forward on a daily basis. I think the guys in the locker room respect him. I think they play their hearts out for him, and I think he was absolutely right in his comments the other day about the respect necessary for those guys that went out on the field on Sunday and tried to get us a victory in Baltimore. Granted, we came up short, but our guys played hard. I think that's a true testament to who Mike Pettine is."

On if there's anything he has to work on:

"Yeah, I think we all have things to work on. I think that's part of what we're building here is that there is a level of self-accountability. I think we constantly look at each other and question not what did you do right, but what did you do wrong because if we fix those things that are wrong we'll get better. It's not about accentuating the positives all the time for us. It's about really truly being critical and looking at the negatives for what we've done wrong this past year and trying to grow those."

On how he assesses his first draft now that the season is over:

"I would say undetermined. We have a lot of pieces to the puzzle that came in. There are guys that contributed. There are pieces that played and played well. There are pieces that didn't play, and so the sample size for some of those players is not great enough for anybody to say, 'This is great. This is bad. This is whatever.' Again, I'm more into the let's take our time and see what guys develop into. At the end of the day, some guys contributed right away. Other guys didn't. I think that's a part of the process."

On if Manziel has to be back on Monday because he's an injured guy:

"It's not just Monday. The guys have different time frames between Monday and...next week those guys will be back at some point - the guys that were injured."

On if he will reevaluate some of the tools he used in the last draft as far as researching players:

"We've already done it. We've already changed staff. We've changed our processes. There are a lot of things that you inherit the first year you get it, and so after the draft we made certain changes. We made a lot of changes. We added a lot of experience to our group this year. We changed our processes, we changed how we do things and we changed how we look at the players. We've gone with some tried and true methods of some of the older scouts that we brought in because that experience matters, and so moving forward, it will be different. There will be changes to it."

On if there was anything around the draft about Gilbert's work ethic:

"I will tell you that there were obviously things he needed to work on and you know those things coming in. There's also the feeling of this guy is on the right path and the right track. Like most young kids, did he have some issue during the time he was in college? Absolutely, but that information had also stated that he had turned the corner, was moving in the right direction. You do your research. You hang on it. I think the easiest way to put it is there is an inexact science to this thing, but you know certain pieces and you would hope and think that you could move guys past some of those small issues that they had while they were in college."

On what he thinks after a year:

"Again, I still think it's early. He had his issues. People mature differently. When some of the people in this room were 18, they may have acted like they were 35. Others acted like they were 18. It's just a part of the process. People mature at different times."

On if Owner Jimmy Haslam made the call to draft Manziel:

"He didn't. He did not."

On if he was the top rated quarterback on his board heading into the draft:

"Again, I don't get into telling anybody what was on my board. At the end of the day, Jimmy did not make the call. I know a lot of people want to stick that on Jimmy, but for the world to hear, Jimmy Haslam did not make that call. He didn't try to influence the decision. He didn't try to push it in a different direction. He did none of those things."

On quarterbacks coach Dowell Loggains saying that Haslam said to pull the trigger and trade up to draft Manziel:

"Again, I can say with 100-percent certainty Dowell Loggains was not in the room when that discussion happened. Dowell was not in that room when that discussion happened."

On the team's thinking in going to Manziel who admitted he wasn't ready in one of the most important games of the season:

"I think being ready and what you kind of assume that is going into it are different afterwards. I believe had you asked him prior to the game going into it if he was ready, he would had said, 'Yes, I'm ready.' Then after experiencing it for the first time in a regular NFL season game where people game plan you and set up differently, I would tell you that his feelings probably changed. It would be interesting to understand what his mindset was prior to that. I would assume, and my conversations with him, because I had that conversation with him prior to the game, he felt like he was ready, but the exposure that happened to him during the course of that game obviously changed him mindset."

On the team watching him in practice every day:

"Yeah, but there's a difference. I guess what I'm saying to you is that on one side of the coin, when you prepare and you think you're ready, you're experiences that demonstrate that you're not, give you that. That's his first time playing in an NFL regular season game. I would believe and my conversation with him is that, like I said, he had a positive notion going in, but then it was turned around on him."

On if he believed he was ready:

"Sure."

On what this year was necessary to do and what was necessary for next year:

"Necessary to continue to move the franchise forward. I think we were playing meaningful football in December in Cleveland for the first time since I don't know when. We had a chance to win our division. We were competing. We played it right down to the last game, and that's what we want to continue to do. Now, we have to find a way to win those games. I think there's one game this year where I felt like we didn't look like we belonged, and that was the second Cincinnati game. We got throttled pretty good. Beyond that, we played in every football game and our guys stepped up. They played well, and they demonstrated they were a credible NFL football team. To move that forward next year, we've got to find a way to win those close games. Maybe five or six games this year were decided for us in the last minute of the game, maybe two minutes. That's a product of trying to...now you've got to figure out how to win. We're there. We're at the doorstep. The question is can we continue to advance the football and move it across the line."

On what his expectations for Manziel this offseason and what they need him to do so they can count on him for next year:

"Don't talk about it. Just be about it. Pretty simple. The things that you know that are required of you, do those things and do them in a consistent manner. That's probably the best way to assess it is that, like Pett said, when you demonstrate that you can do certain things, it's that level of consistency that really makes you a pro."

On if he wants Manziel to not be seen all over Instagram and Twitter partying:

"That's going to be his lot in life. Regardless if he's out drinking Voss water and somebody sees him somewhere, they're going to take a picture and tweet it and it's going to be relayed as though this guy is out and he's doing whatever. That's his lot in life. That's where he's at. The reality is he's going to have to become a hermit if he doesn't want people to take pictures of him, so I doubt he's going to do that. I think we've also got to take with a grain of salt that every time this guy is somewhere it doesn't mean he's up to no good or it's negative. We have to be conscientious that we just want him to do the things that are necessary for him to be an NFL quarterback."

On the fact that he's always going to be a distraction to some degree and if the team is willing to go forward with that in mind:

"I don't know if it's a distraction. It's a distraction when people allow things to be a distraction. Just because I'm out and somewhere and somebody takes a picture of me and my wife or me with my kids or me doing whatever wherever I'm at, doesn't mean that I'm actually doing anything negative. Everybody is allowed to have a private life. I believe that. I think that I'm a public figure. I'm in the public like now, but it doesn't mean I can't go and golf or sit on the beach or do whatever I do on my own time. Again, for us or for me, it really points to the fact that we need him to do the things it takes to be an NFL quarterback. That doesn't mean that he can't have a private life or do the things away from football that he enjoys, but again, to some degree it's what he's going to have to deal with. It's who he is. People are going to take pictures and look at him and tweet about him. We have to deal with that circumstance if he's going to be a part of this team."

On if him being out with his kids and some of the stuff Manziel has done like being involved in a fight at his apartment and being at draft parties the night of the draft apples and oranges:

"Again, I'm just making a point that there was a statement made earlier that the man was in South Beach. Again, I don't know what those pictures are. I don't know what has happened, but if he's in South Beach and he's walking the beach and somebody takes a picture of him, that's his lot in life. He's not going to be able to just walk around and be obscure I guess is the point I'm making. There are a lot of us that walk in the circle of anonymity. When I leave this building not a lot of people recognize me, so I can just walk out to the mall and enjoy my day. It's not the same for him I guess is the point that I'm making. I understand what you're saying, but the realities are that he's going to have to live a different life than I lead or people that can walk in anonymity can lead because he doesn't have that luxury."

On concerns of Manziel's performance on the field rather than his extra-curricular activities:

"That's my point, I think that he's going to have to come here and demonstrate that he's ready to be an NFL quarterback and as long as he takes the necessary steps to do those things and to perform on the field, make himself accountable to his teammates and the organization than that's a whole other conversation."

On what he's seen in seven quarters from Manziel that makes him thinks that he can be a successful quarterback:

"Everything that he did in the three years that he was in college."

On if Manziel is equipped to play quarterback at his given height:

"I just completely disagree with measurables. I think that everybody makes a big deal about being 6'5" or 6'4", whatever that height precursor may be, but I tell you that (Seattle Seahawks QB) Russell Wilson is not tall. I tell you that (former NFL QB) Jeff Garcia wasn't tall. There's a lot of players, (New York Jets QB) Michael Vick wasn't tall. There's a lot of guys that they can play, they can win and be successful in this league that are not tall people. So yeah, stature means nothing to me."

On the status of TE Jordan Cameron and what other pieces are needed on the team so that the load doesn't fall squarely on the quarterback:

"To answer the first piece of that: Yes, the goal is to build a team that, I use the (term) lighten the load so the quarterback doesn't have to carry everything. To that tune you ask about (TE) Jordan Cameron I would say that he had an interesting year. He battled some things this year, wasn't as productive as he was the previous year. To that tune, I know in a lot of respects, he had some personal disappointment behind that but it doesn't diminish kind of what he is or who we think he can be. The reality moving forward is that we're going to drive for competition as every spot. We're going to look to improve every player. It sounds like it's not attainable but I think that goal is to constantly look for players that can improve your roster. Pushing competition at every spot, everybody's got to compete for their job. Nobody gets it handed it to them. As long as we continue to operate in that philosophy and we're not afraid to move forward with the next man up then it forces guys to perform in a way that is going to improve our football team because that competition is what truly drive the best out of people."

On his stance on WR Josh Gordon's representatives contesting his final game suspension:

"I probably don't have a stance or shouldn't have a stance, but I'm sure that they probably will contest it. From our perspective it is what it is and we'll deal with that through the right channels."

On his concerns of Gordon's overall dependability and commitment:

"Again, I know I'm old school in certain respects and I came through with coaches like Dan Reeves and Ray Rhodes and other guys that coached back in the 80's and 90's. One of the things that I was told when I was a young player in this league it that your best ability maybe your availability. We tend to believe that to some degree where you've got to be accountable to yourself, to others and to this organization. I think that Jimmy (Browns' owner Jimmy Haslam) made that clear after the game. I think that Pett (Browns head coach Mike Pettine) made that clear yesterday, I guess I'm just putting the period on it today.

On if Gordon is considered a lost cause:

"I'm not going to say that. I would tell you that I strive in every respects to give every guy the opportunity to achieve success. I'm not going to diminish, talk bad, or not try to help someone achieve the end goal which is to get it right and I'll take it as far as I can get it. Whenever that determination is made this person is done with the Browns, we'll make that determination then. Every player that I will stand by, I will work with them and I'll make sure that they get the best - whether it's help that they need, whether it's assistance, whether it's opportunities, I will fight tooth-and-nail to get those guys those things and when they demonstrate that they're either un-savable or we can't help them anymore, or they don't want the help, then we'll move on. It's different for every single guy."

On whether he's still fighting for Gordon:

"Again, I will tell you that I'm not one to talk publicly about my interactions with the players and I've had conversations with Josh, recent and past. When the final determination is made, Josh will be the first to know and then everybody else will find out after that."

On the team's running backs Terrance West and Isaiah Crowell:

"I like them. Actually, I like all of them. I like (RB) Shaun Draughn, a kid who we brought in late and contributed on special teams. I like (RB) Glenn Winston, who nobody really got a chance to see carry the ball but I think he's got some upside to him and I think that everyone likes to reference 'Crow' (RB Isaiah Crowell) and West (RB Terrance West) and to that tune I would tell you that they both have chances to be successful players in this league and have the upside to carry enough of the load for us."

On what both RB's need to learn and develop going forward:

"From a variety of perspectives all guys got to learn that it's not what it used to be. You have a lot of guys that come to NFL teams as they were the man. Let's use Terrance West as an example: This guy has been given the football 25-30 times a game from the time he was a kid until this year. I think it's hard for guys to realize that 'Okay, you know what? I'm not going to get it 25-30 times,' and so there's some maturity there with him saying 'okay, look I'm going to get 18 carries, I'm going to get 17 or 13 or 15 (carries),' whatever that number is going to be and just make the most of them. In the tune of that, knowing the way that you get more and more opportunity is to be better and better in ancillary situations. Are you really good in (pass protection), do you really understand the intricacies of the game and as guys kind of get those little nuances of how to get more and more play time, they get better. I would say the same is true with Crow (RB Isaiah Crowell) is that he had his issues at (University of Georgia), all well documented, it is what it is and he went to different school and had his chance to have a lot of success. He's trying to build to find out what does that look like, how many carries am I going to get. I hate to say this, it's almost like being in an all-star game and everybody wants to take the shot, everybody wants the ball and when you have a young team that's kind of what a young NFL team goes through is everybody wants the ball, everybody wants to be the guy to make that opportunity happen and guys have to earn that we have to share to succeed, and the more they get that sharing under their belt the better we all become."

On whether he would have drafted a WR last year knowing what did about Josh Gordon:

"Not very. I hate to say it, I know everyone says I'm stubborn or I'm going to be abstinent about this wide receiver position but I just think that at the end of the day an offensive line affects every single play of the game. A wide receiver may touch the ball ten time if he's having a great day so I just like the idea of let's get the guys that affect the game all the time and let's try and get those guys and make a difference for our football team. Doesn't take away from any wide receiver in the game because I think that there's a ton of them that are really good players and they affect the game. Again, the rookies this year - phenomenal. Great job by a lot of those guys. They were high-drafted or high selected oriented players on our board. I know I said I wouldn't talk about our (draft) board but to that tune, they were high there as how we valued what they were capable of doing. But then again, can you piece it together? I think you most certainly can with guys that have traits that translate to the type of offense that you want to run."

On whether he would hesitate to use a first round pick on a QB in two consecutive years:

"Nope, I would not. I would not hesitate to take whoever I thought could help this football team and move us forward. The goal is win it's not to draft any particular person or players, simply to win. If we win, that's all that matters. It's not mine so I will give credit to (Brown Executive Chief of Staff ) Bill Kuharich who taught me this but W.I.N. is what's important now and that's what we're going focus on at every turn is what's important now. It's what you do during the course of the season when you have a guy go down you pop the next guy in. When you get to the offseason you try to plan and create for what's important now. What is important now is truly identifying who is on this team that we should keep around, and who's not, and to that tune how do we improve our roster moving forward and then how do we draft to what we've already garnished free-agency or what we lost. So that's the steps will take here coming up."

On if teams have asked him permission to interview offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan:

"I don't think that I should talk about those things in this venue. I think that information will get out, I don't know how it gets out, but it'll get out at some point. But I'm not a big proponent of putting all of that information out there."

On what the last week says about his first round draft picks:

"That's for you guys to decide. I mean from my perspective it goes right back to what I said initially, which we've got to give guys time to do what they do and when the guys don't do it in time then you make those determinations. But when guys show that they can do it a certain point in time, like Pett eluded to yesterday, it comes down to being consistent and with a lack of consistency is what - inconsistency and you see those blemishes and those warts in whether they show up week two or week 17 they obviously exist and so to that tune, We've got to try and get guys, like Pett said, that 90 percentile where they're constantly doing things consistently right."

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2014/12/cleveland_browns_gm_ray_farmer_21.html

Legend
Legend
I hate reading pressers. Things on paper don't always feel the same when you see the pressers live or on video. I'll watch it later.

But for the moment, my takeaway from this was, A MESSAGE HAS BEEN SENT to Manziel, Gilbert and Gordon. Clean up your act, fly right, get here on time, work hard/smart and you could have future here. Don't do those things, and you will be gone.

That's the word from Haslam on down.

So I guess that's a good thing.

Anyway, I'll watch the video tomorrow. It's always different.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
D
Dave Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
Quote:

On what Manziel showed him as a player to make him think that he could be a starter:

"The same things he showed me in college. I think he can be consistently accurate with the football. I do think he has mobility to escape the pocket, and I do think that his desire and his competitiveness give him an edge that a lot of players don't have."

WTH? When did he see accuracy with the football? When did he see this "mobility"? When Manziel got run down by an ILB or a DE? As far as Manziel's "desire and competitiveness", what NFL QB doesn't have those qualities? Can't believe Farmer made these statements and that they went largely unchallenged by the assembled media.

Quote:

"I'd ask I don't know how many elite starters exist. In my mind, I would say there are no more than four or five of them in the league at any one point in time. I would say that if that's the case then the vast majority of the league plays with guys that are not elite starters. That classification, in my mind, is a very small class when we use the word 'elite.'"

Manning, Brady, Rodgers, Roethlisberger, Luck, Brees - that's 6 right off the top of my head. Then there's Ryan, Rivers, Stafford, Flacco, Romo, Wilson, Kaepernick, Smith, and Newton - 9 more that are certainly 2nd tier, and some of them are arguably "elite". That's 15 QB's that Manziel isn't even in the same area code with. If by "solid starter", Farmer means "bottom half" of the league's starters, then I guess its debateable. Based on his play this year - not college - I see literally nothing in Manziel's game that leads me to believe he can play QB in the NFL, but our GM thinks he can be a "solid starter". Note also that the owner, Jimmy Haslam, said last year that 1st round picks need to be All Pro's eventually. Wonder how he feels when the GM sets Manziel's ceiling at "solid starter".

Quote:
On whether he would have drafted a WR last year knowing what did about Josh Gordon:

"Not very. I hate to say it, I know everyone says I'm stubborn or I'm going to be abstinent (believe this should be "obstinate") about this wide receiver position but I just think that at the end of the day an offensive line affects every single play of the game. A wide receiver may touch the ball ten time if he's having a great day so I just like the idea of let's get the guys that affect the game all the time and let's try and get those guys and make a difference for our football team. Doesn't take away from any wide receiver in the game because I think that there's a ton of them that are really good players and they affect the game. Again, the rookies this year - phenomenal. Great job by a lot of those guys. They were high-drafted or high selected oriented players on our board. I know I said I wouldn't talk about our (draft) board but to that tune, they were high there as how we valued what they were capable of doing. But then again, can you piece it together? I think you most certainly can with guys that have traits that translate to the type of offense that you want to run."

While I agree that you don't necessarily need a stud #1 receiver, that doesn't mean you can just trot out three 5'7" 170 pounders and expect them to not to be manhandled. It bothers me that Farmer still doesn't believe we needed a WR last year especially knowing what he knew about Gordon testing dirty.

I liked the Farmer hire, and I'm not ready to kick him to the curb, but I found some of his answers at the press conference yesterday to be perplexing, bordering on absurd.

Legend
Legend
Well said Farmer. But I hope Pett learned a lesson on being consistaint and sticking to his guns when it comes to choosing the starting QB next year. That 2nd Bengals game was the turning point of the season. Huge mistake IMO. Should have stuck with Hoyer. Said it then before the game, and I'll say it one last time. Should have stuck with Hoyer.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
F
Legend
Legend
F
Quote:
Manning, Brady, Rodgers, Roethlisberger, Luck, Brees - that's 6 right off the top of my head. Then there's Ryan, Rivers, Stafford, Flacco, Romo, Wilson, Kaepernick, Smith, and Newton - 9 more that are certainly

So your definition of elite is different.

I would say your first 4 listed are elite. Luck and Brees are very good, but I wouldn't say elite. Luck may get there.

To me, elite quarterbacks are QBs that can take the team on their shoulders and find a way to win more than not. QBs that always have their team in a chance to win situation. QBs that when you face them, even you have your doubts about beating them.

Now is Johnny anywhere near any of the others you listed, heck no, and definitely not from what we have seen, but then we haven't seen much yet either.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
Legend
Legend
Quote:
WTH? When did he see accuracy with the football? When did he see this "mobility"? When Manziel got run down by an ILB or a DE? As far as Manziel's "desire and competitiveness", what NFL QB doesn't have those qualities? Can't believe Farmer made these statements and that they went largely unchallenged by the assembled media.

He's probably talking about practice.. cause he can't mean any game Johnny played in...

Quote:

Manning, Brady, Rodgers, Roethlisberger, Luck, Brees - that's 6 right off the top of my head. Then there's Ryan, Rivers, Stafford, Flacco, Romo, Wilson, Kaepernick, Smith, and Newton - 9 more that are certainly 2nd tier, and some of them are arguably "elite".

Manning
Brady
Rodgers
Roethlisberger
Luck

To me, those guys are the truly ELITE QB's in the league.

The rest are excellent, even outstanding. But Elite, those are the only ones that are in that are truly elite.

As for his take on WR's, hey, we all(most of us anyway) thought he was nuts for not getting a top shelf guy in the draft and you know what, he was right and the majority of us were basically wrong.

Our "little" guys did pretty darn well. In fact, some might say that when Gordon game back (except for his first game back) that he was more of a problem than a help.

I think I'll trust Farmer on this subject.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I took some notes from the presser when I saw it live here they are.

@NFL_Midwest · 21h 21 hours ago
At this point I would not be surprised to see Josh Gordon cut. The contempt in Ray Farmers voice was evident. He's had enough. #Browns #NFL

@NFL_Midwest · 23h 23 hours ago
#Browns Ray Farmer would not hesitate to take another QB in the first round if it made the team better.

#Browns Ray Farmer "We have to be able to deal with that circumstance" regarding Manziel being a distraction.

#Browns Ray Farmer "Don't talk about it, just be about it" regarding Johnny Manziel @JManziel2

Ray Farmer: "Words don't mean anything" #Browns @JManziel2

@NFL_Midwest · 24h 24 hours ago
"The Staff can only go so far in getting player to do things the right way" -Mike Pettine @JManziel2 @JGilbert_21 @JOSH_GORDONXII

E
Legend
Legend
E

Accuracy....probably the first drive he had in the Buffalo game where he drove the length of the field...mind you that was in a dummied down HOYER Playbook. After that was a total Cluster Muck in his 1 game and a half.

Mobility...Again finishing that Buffalo Drive - Dropping back, not a designed dumb ass run... but a pocket pass where it was man D and a big lane he took off and ran 11 yards for the TD. That was last done by Who on the Browns. I think an 11 yard run for a TD in the Red Zone merits that comment by Farmer.

Its funny how people see what they want to see. Almost everyone criticizing JM never mentions the Buffalo game. Only one I saw Poster and Analyst was The Mooch.

jmh Observation - Btw I like Farmer - not perfect but I thought he did an excellent job in very tough conditions.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
V
Legend
Legend
V
Too many daggone questions about Manziel. Sheesh!

D
Dave Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
Replying to both you and Florida Fan here ... The semantics of "elite" vs "very good" don't really interest me as much as Farmer implying that after the 4-5 elite QB's in the league, you have a whole bunch of "solid starters". His answer totally ignores the whole (and real, imo) concept of "2nd Tier" QB's like the guys from my second group. These guys, whether you call them elite or not, ARE franchise QBs. I see absolutely nothing about Manziel that suggests he will even sniff that rarefied air.

D
Dave Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
I didn't consider the Buffalo game because I thought it was a garbage-time drive vs a prevent D.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Again people see what they want to see. Same exact D they were running all game. there was no prevent D out there. No giving up the underneath pass. All were contested. He threw some pretty accurate passes (not all perfect) None to a WIDE OPEN NOBODY AROUND UNDERNEATH PASS you see in prevent! So I will call you out on that observation. I could be wrong. But I don't remember it that way!

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

V
Legend
Legend
V
Yeah, it wasn't garbage time. We still had a chance to win that game.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Dave
Replying to both you and Florida Fan here ... The semantics of "elite" vs "very good" don't really interest me as much as Farmer implying that after the 4-5 elite QB's in the league, you have a whole bunch of "solid starters". His answer totally ignores the whole (and real, imo) concept of "2nd Tier" QB's like the guys from my second group. These guys, whether you call them elite or not, ARE franchise QBs. I see absolutely nothing about Manziel that suggests he will even sniff that rarefied air.

I know what your saying here Dave, but perhaps his view of this is similar to mine rather than what you think.

It's all opinions.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
D
Dave Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
It was nearly halfway through the 4th quarter of a 3-score game (Browns down 20-3). Maybe not classic garbage time, but pretty darn close.

E
Legend
Legend
E
It was nearly halfway through the 4th quarter

Actually a perfect example how your thought process is skewed.

He came in with 12 minutes to go. Buffalo was in a MUST WIN situation. You really got the time off. 4 5ths is nowhere close to HALF WAY. Bills were not going to breeze through content to let us make it close. They were going all out and not pulling the plug. Why is it so hard to say yeah he had a very good drive. It doesn't undo his bad. I personally saw it as all on the same page with the game plan they ALL were following for the last 14 weeks or so. He looked comfortable so his footwork was decent and so was his accuracy...On the run throw was on the money cause he was relaxed.

In his start...never got off that tight wound up look. 3 n outs didn't help matters just intensified it. Yes, that was bad.

But don't just throw out the good, I'm telling you if you look at the tape as an evaluator you will come back to that Bills game all be it two series - one great for a score the other 3 n out. In that game he stayed deep in the pocket did 3 play actions. Two of them bootleg first to Austin for a 1st and then a 3 yard scamper out of bounds. The third play action was a straight drop back play action where he hit Grodon over the middle. The next a straight drop back in the pocket where he through the laser to Dray putting them on the 11. then the straight pocket drop back...run (that mobility you refuse to see) for a TD. Don't excuse the bad you saw. Not asking you, but if you say WHERE WHERE OH WHERE IS THIS GLIMMER OF HOPE? That is where it is.

jmh Observations

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

D
Dave Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
By "nearly halfway" I was referring to the time of the score (8:47) in the 4th quarter. Maybe you have total recall, but I don't. What I do remember is that we couldn't do anything all day long and then Manziel comes in and its instant offense! Yay everybody, its Johhny Football, come to wreck your league! Please - they have to have backed off their defense or there's no way that drive happens.

E
Legend
Legend
E
discussion over I guess. Your mind is made up...that experience just didn't happen to you. Now you are saying AFTER his score??? Then you add some Mighty Mouse music - Here I come to save the day! to my post like that is what I'm saying...all your critique there was emotion stuff about people getting elated about that first drive. I'm looking at it as part of the evaluation which you state it is not.

So why don't you start this Discussion with - this is what I think and nothing you say will change it...lol laugh

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

D
Dave Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
Actually, all I'm saying is nothing you said changed it. Besides, since when do minds get changed here? We all bring our own preconceived notions to any discussion; don't act like its just me.

Legend
Legend
Actually, all I'm saying is nothing you said changed it. Besides, since when do minds get changed here? We all bring our own preconceived notions to any discussion; don't act like its just me.

Oh man, people on here are constantly making me rethink things..

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
L
2nd String
2nd String
L
Originally Posted By: eotab
discussion over I guess. Your mind is made up...that experience just didn't happen to you. Now you are saying AFTER his score??? Then you add some Mighty Mouse music - Here I come to save the day! to my post like that is what I'm saying...all your critique there was emotion stuff about people getting elated about that first drive. I'm looking at it as part of the evaluation which you state it is not.

So why don't you start this Discussion with - this is what I think and nothing you say will change it...lol laugh

I feel like your mind is made up and you are getting angry because he isn't agreeing with you.

Manziel came in to a situation where the defense was playing prevent and the guys on the field from what I remember weren't their starters. I heard on the radio that Mario Williams was not playing on that series (I did not notice at the time) as well as a few other key players on the defense.

That, and the fact that they didn't look like they were playing the same type of defense that they had the entire game leads me to believe they were doing something different. Oh yeah, and then there was the drive after we scored where the Bills turned it up and caused a forced fumble for a TD that was somehow reversed.

Legend
Legend

"Farmer said the club will alter its draft interview process to avoid the mistakes it made this season."

Sorry Ray you can not put the toothpaste back into the tube. I thought that work ethic was scouting 101.

"He said(Farmer) the fact that Manziel can be a solid starter can be enough, because a team doesn't need an elite quarterback to win."

Really Ray? Do you see any light weights in the playoffs (except maybe the Cardinals)? Let's see who wins it all. I will take my chances with an elite quarterback thank you very much.

"Farmer said today that Johnny Manziel can develop into a solid starting quarterback, but that he wouldn't hesitate to draft a quarterback in the first round."

What are you saying Ray? If Manziel can be a solid starter and that is all you need why consider a quarterback in the first round?

Ray go buy yourself a pair of stones and start making decisions that win championships.

D
Dave Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
Quote:
I thought that work ethic was scouting 101.

I heard a local sports talk guy say the Browns should hire a body language specialist to interview prospects at the Combine, because they are apparently not very good at spotting character issues. I hope its at least a part of the scouting process review that Farmer said they will conduct - not necessarily the body language expert, just the process that helps them decide a guy has the intangibles they're looking for.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Farmer can take from the good from last year and learn from it and and he can take from the bad and learn from it. I think they will bring in a vet for Johnny to beat out, not someone expensive another Grossman type but yea there will be any controversy with who they bring in other than if Johnny is a total disaster.

Tab the bills game was the Johnny we expect. There was no prevent defense except unless they have changed prevent to now mean where its press on the outside and zone in the middle underneath. Bengals game imho was the aberration not the Bills. Bengals was a horrid game for everyone, it happens. Panthers game I saw him make smart decisions and good throws. Refs non call on the rape of Cameron stoped one drive. Gordon's drop stopped another, I was upset that Johnny did not hurry them to the line and get a play off quickly but he made good decisions. the Panthers also blew up some well timed screens in that one that really wowed me with the play call and the great defensive stop. There was literally one man to beat and the defender made the play or it was probably a race to the endzone.

He may turn out to be Ryan Leaf 2.0 but I dont think so. I think it will be different when he is taking all the snaps in mini camp and ota and preseason.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Three of Farmer's first five picks (Gilbert, Manziel, and West) had major character issues show up in their first year. He needs to do better.

D
Dave Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
If the Browns really intend to go into 2015 with Manziel, a "Grossman type", and Shaw at QB, we will see another bloodbath / housecleaning next December after game 16, imo.

P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:
Bengals game imho was the aberration not the Bills.

Again, it doesn't appear that you know what that word means.

Aberration means deviation from the norm.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M

Quote:
On if he will reevaluate some of the tools he used in the last draft as far as researching players:

"We've already done it. We've already changed staff. We've changed our processes. There are a lot of things that you inherit the first year you get it, and so after the draft we made certain changes. We made a lot of changes. We added a lot of experience to our group this year. We changed our processes, we changed how we do things and we changed how we look at the players. We've gone with some tried and true methods of some of the older scouts that we brought in because that experience matters, and so moving forward, it will be different. There will be changes to it."

Farmer put the best spin on each response, never pointing a finger at himself or anyone in the organization.

I realize that Farmer is running interference for Haslam, attempting to deflect any criticizing of "the boss". I'm sure Farmer's efforts are much appreciated by Haslam but in a way, it exposes a weakness in Farmer, not having the stones to take on the boss when it mattered most..on draft day.

Yes, I believe that Haslam influenced the Browns draft board and gave the ok (order) to trade up in the draft to pick JM. Those who want to argue this point (opinion) don't. Nothing you can say will change my mind, because I've a lot time to piece it together and this is what I believe happened.

Regardless of who in the organization approved of the Manziel selection, it is obvious that Farmer didn't carry enough weight to change anyone's mind about who the Browns should take with their second first round pick...or Farmer too, got caught up in the hype, forgetting the draft board.

Just rookie mistakes by everyone involved?...that is as good of an excuse as I can come up with. Surely Haslam and Farmer know the entire NFL is laughing at them for their rookie, first round picks.

The bottom line is, the Browns ran a very unprofessional draft in 2014 and I think Farmer and Haslam realize it now. The news that changes have been made to the Browns draft process is great news...lets see if they stick to the plan, this year.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
M
Legend
Legend
M
I posted this in the Pettine Presser thread prior to a Farmer thread being made so I will repost here.

I came away from Farmer's press conference unimpressed. I didn't hear him hold himself personally accountable during the presser. Blaming the scouting staff he inherited for the poor draft of 2014 was rather lame.

Also, I found the notion that his belief that a WR impacts the game only 10 times a game on a good game concerning. What about the downfield blocking? What about the impact having a guy like Jordy Nelson, Dez Bryant, Antonio Brown, Demaryius Thomas etc., can do to change the opponents defensive schemes and open up the run game? I understand an elite WR is not required to win the Super Bowl, but the position can't be treated as an afterthought either.

Time will be the judge.

Anyway, here is Bud Shaw's commentary on Farmer's press conference.

Accountability for the Cleveland Browns should start at GM Ray Farmer's pay grade -- Bud Shaw

BEREA, Ohio -- Ray Farmer called his first draft "undetermined."

The scholastic equivalent of that is "incomplete." By either definition, Farmer turned it into a cop out just shy of "the dog ate my homework."

The Browns are preaching accountability for their players. The GM in an organization so rich in losing has to be held most accountable for his work at the top of the draft and in identifying a quarterback who can stop the procession of cameos at the position.

That made 2014 a fail for Farmer, despite his mining of undrafted talent and the big hit he registered with guard Joel Bitonio.

In describing the season as "necessary" in establishing a foundation upon which "sustainable success" (there's that phrase again) can rise and soar, Farmer glossed over the unnecessary leaps taken in drafting Justin Gilbert and Johnny Manziel.

Not to get too bogged down in words here, but had those two players managed to find the field more often and actually excel on it, my guess is Farmer would skip over "undetermined" and settle on "win, win" to describe his work last May.

They didn't. Worse, they showed major character issues the Browns knew about pre-draft.

If you're thinking Farmer used Tuesday's rare media availability to throw himself on his sword in regard to Manziel and Gilbert, think again. He referenced "inheriting" some people in the scouting department, said changes had been made in the evaluation process and that "moving forward it will be different."

Farmer wouldn't be the first GM to err on giving his first-round draft picks every chance to prove him right. But the danger in framing their indiscretions as run-of-the-mill growing pains – "People mature at different times" – is the Browns' locker room should be looking to him, even more than it is to Mike Pettine, to deliver the message that what happened this season can't be repeated. That starts with drafting better people.

But it would've been nice to hear that the Browns considered it a failure (of the players and the team) that Gilbert and Manziel had learned nothing about their professional responsibilities even after 16 games.

That's on both knuckleheads. But it's also on the staff and the GM who picked them.

Rookies shouldn't be rookies by Christmas. Gilbert and Manziel are late to the party in that regard (though that's probably not the best choice of words for Manziel).

Manziel needed help calling the plays when the organization – not just Pettine and Kyle Shanhan – put him behind center in the biggest game of the year against Cincinnati at home.

It turns out the reason the veteran players called out Gilbert for wasting his rookie year so publicly is because calling him out privately fell on such deaf ears.

You can miss in the Top 10 of the draft if you found your franchise starting quarterback at No. 22. You have a difficult time justifying your decisions if you've whiffed on both.

Farmer said he still believes Manziel can be a "solid starting quarterback." Asked if Manziel was the No. 1 rated quarterback on his board, he said he preferred not to divulge where he had players rated.

We can at least agree it was high enough to justify trading up from No. 26.

Farmer chose Tuesday – three days after Manziel needed a knock from team security to wake up – to volunteer that the Browns have seen about good things about Manziel that outsiders haven't.

"He can be consistently accurate with the football and has desire and competitiveness," said Farmer.

I guess Manziel just has a funny way of showing that burning desire.

Asked if he believed Manziel's attempt at contrition Monday, Farmer hesitated.

"I would tell you that words don't mean anything,'' he said. "We're all about action.''

It's funny how that works, too. The same applies to the GM.

Article

Legend
Legend
Gilbert, Manziel, West in one draft is concerning IMO. Either Farmer is arrogant enough to believe he can sway kids' personalities/traits ... or he's ignorant enough not to notice the flaws.

Both are equally concerning.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Listening to both Pettine and Farmer, and Haslam also, the culture change is in full swing. Team concept, with backups preparing like starters, best man plays. I like it.

#gmstrong
L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
If it wasnt for Botonio, id give Farmer an F for the draft alone. Also, Im not counting the UDFA.

With Botonio, he gets a D.

Too many trade ups in a deep draft. His picks were benched and outplayed by UDFAs at RB, CB and I guess you could add QB to the mix. He drafted 2 CBs and the best rookie performer was an UDFA until he was injured.

I believe after the end of next year his grade will be above a C in regards to the 2014 draft.

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty, than those attending too small a degree of it."- Thomas Jefferson on Freedom of Speech
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

Manning, Brady, Rodgers, Roethlisberger, Luck, Brees - that's 6 right off the top of my head. Then there's Ryan, Rivers, Stafford, Flacco, Romo, Wilson, Kaepernick, Smith, and Newton - 9 more that are certainly 2nd tier, and some of them are arguably "elite". That's 15 QB's that Manziel isn't even in the same area code with. If by "solid starter", Farmer means "bottom half" of the league's starters, then I guess its debateable. Based on his play this year - not college - I see literally nothing in Manziel's game that leads me to believe he can play QB in the NFL, but our GM thinks he can be a "solid starter". Note also that the owner, Jimmy Haslam, said last year that 1st round picks need to be All Pro's eventually. Wonder how he feels when the GM sets Manziel's ceiling at "solid starter".

Quote:

"Not very. I hate to say it, I know everyone says I'm stubborn or I'm going to be abstinent (believe this should be "obstinate") about this wide receiver position but I just think that at the end of the day an offensive line affects every single play of the game. A wide receiver may touch the ball ten time if he's having a great day so I just like the idea of let's get the guys that affect the game all the time and let's try and get those guys and make a difference for our football team. Doesn't take away from any wide receiver in the game because I think that there's a ton of them that are really good players and they affect the game. Again, the rookies this year - phenomenal. Great job by a lot of those guys. They were high-drafted or high selected oriented players on our board. I know I said I wouldn't talk about our (draft) board but to that tune, they were high there as how we valued what they were capable of doing. But then again, can you piece it together? I think you most certainly can with guys that have traits that translate to the type of offense that you want to run."

While I agree that you don't necessarily need a stud #1 receiver, that doesn't mean you can just trot out three 5'7" 170 pounders and expect them to not to be manhandled. It bothers me that Farmer still doesn't believe we needed a WR last year especially knowing what he knew about Gordon testing dirty.

I liked the Farmer hire, and I'm not ready to kick him to the curb, but I found some of his answers at the press conference yesterday to be perplexing, bordering on absurd.

Who needs wide receivers? All they do is score touchdowns. We had 12 passing touchdowns this season. PERFECTION! We wouldn't want to score anymore than that. Scoring touchdowns is a horrible thing especially if they're scored by lowly wide receivers. Besides, we have Meathead back in the fold, we can count on him.... So yes Mr. Farmer, whatever you do, PLEASE don't upgrade the WR position. Hopefully, we can cut those 12 passing touchdowns to a more manageable number next season. Say single digit....

Sure am glad you are sticking with Johnny too. You're right, he is entitled to party his ass off every second of the off season. No need for him to bust ass learning our offense, proper mechanics, etc. And you're right about his stature too. A barely 6 foot, barely 200 pound RUNNING Qb is SURE to survive in the NFL. They always do. Oh wait, didn't Johnny get hurt the 2nd game he ever started in the Pros? Hmmmmm Seems like a tiny little itsy bitsy QB might have some problems surviving in the NFL after all.... Who would have believed it? Perhaps the little guy might be better off learning how to actually set his feet and THROW FROM THE POCKET! You know, like a REAL quarterback does.....

Mr. Farmer you better get your act together and make this years draft a LOT better than last years. Because of the four picks you had in the first three rounds in 2014, THREE of them were head cases and your two first round picks are looking very bust like....producing little to nothing their first year except controversy and turmoil. You NEED to draft BETTER. And if your so set on NEVER improving the WR corp you better draft a RB that can score 30 touchdowns a season. SOMEONE has to score and if you're determined that no WR on the Browns will score more than 3 or 4 TD's then you better find a player at some other position that WILL score in bunches. This is the modern NFL. If you aren't scoring a LOT you're not going to win much. Especially with our lousy defense.

#BlackLivesMatter #StopAsianHate
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: legalizewd
If it wasnt for Botonio, id give Farmer an F for the draft alone. Also, Im not counting the UDFA.

With Botonio, he gets a D.

Too many trade ups in a deep draft. His picks were benched and outplayed by UDFAs at RB, CB and I guess you could add QB to the mix. He drafted 2 CBs and the best rookie performer was an UDFA until he was injured.

I believe after the end of next year his grade will be above a C in regards to the 2014 draft.

If it wasn't for the Johnny circus I'd give him a D maybe a D+. Because of the relentless distraction that is Johnny Fracking Football he's getting an F for his first draft from me. You take three head cases out of four picks in the first three rounds and there's a serious problem. I know everyone is in love with Farmer, as they were in love with Phil Savage, but unless he hits on every pick from the 4th on up this coming April(and by hit I mean they are mature, team fist young men that produce on the field), we have a serious problem in the front office. His absolute DISDAIN for the wide receiver position, especially in today's NFL, is concerning to say the least. And his attitude about head case players doesn't fill me with confidence. Yes, players mature at different rates. Drafting idiots that won't mature until they are good and retired ISN'T conducive to winning football. Drafting young men that are all grown up and ready to bust their ass to make this team better IS.

#BlackLivesMatter #StopAsianHate
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:
This is the modern NFL. If you aren't scoring a LOT you're not going to win much. Especially with our lousy defense.

Not that I doubted you but I had to look this up smile ...9 of the top 10 teams for total points made the playoffs... if you averaged 24 points per game you are in the playoffs [new orleans the only exception],,strangely Detroit had 321 [20.1 ]while Cleveland had 299 total [18.7]...that 24 points per game seems to be a rough number over the past few years...Average 24+ per game and you have a good chance of winning most games [obviously assuming the defense] looks like our D averaged 21.1 points per game, good enough for 9th in the league..Only 4 of the top 10 defense {average points per game] made the playoffs...Detroit gave up 17.6 points per game, which is why the anomaly in the ratings. Their D carried them unlike most of the other teams...

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness." [Mark Twain]
M
Rookie
Rookie
M
The Eagles fired Tom Gamble today as part of a power struggle between GM Rosman and Chip Kelly. Would like to see Haslam consider hiring the guy to help Farmer with personnel decisions. Browns made some horrific personnel decisions this year and I believe the inexperienced Farmer is in way over his head. With ten draft picks and a ton of free agent money I think he could use all the help he can get. I'm not sold on Farmer and I don't want to see a repeat of this year's draft fiasco.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Hey matt..............Is Gamble well thought of by his peers?

I seem to remember reading good things about him, but I'm not really sure about that.

M
Rookie
Rookie
M
I am sick of iPads I really am. It just wiped out everything I typed. Anyway.....

The Eagles rehired Gamble two years ago after going out of their way to get him to leave the same job at the 49ers. This article explains the move as well as any.

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/inq-e...the-Eagles.html

Gamble was clearly someone Kelly wanted although he was popular around Phillie as a local boy. The current firing is rumored to be because of Phillies poor draft last year. But most see it as a power struggle between GM Roseman and Chip Kelly. Roseman felt Kelly was given too much power over personnel decisions when he was hired and this move is to consolidate Roseman's power base. He apparently had the approval of Laurie.

To my way of thinking Farmer needs help and I believe Gamble has about 20 years of experience between scouting and FO work.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: eotab

I kinda think both Farmer and Pettine are watching what they say in concerns with Manziel and Gordon, as being too frank would lessen their trade value. It makes business sense.

P.S. The reply was actually started by Dave, not eotab.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Oh yeah........I remember him now. He was the guy from SF that some people were even mentioning as one of our candidates after one of our numerous upheavals. I seem to remember that he was very respected in league circles.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Farmer Press Conference Transcript

Link Copied to Clipboard