Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
#910524 01/01/15 04:27 PM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

One year is in the books. I am not going to go into great detail but I will say this: After his first year I like Mike Pettine and for that matter Shanahan as well.

He played the guys that prepared and practiced well. He made no excuses. The team played hard for him.

Under the circumstances and the roster he had I thought he got the most out of them. At the end of the day that is all you can do.

The whole quarterback thing you could debate till doomsday. He played Manziel when Hoyer played himself out of starter. His call.

Give Pettine time and a quarterback and he will win.

Shanahan is a good OC. Hopefully he will not become a head coach in the near future. I want him and Pettine together for awhile to see what they can do.

The loss of Alex Mack was huge. I know "next man up" but the team never really untracked the run game after his injury. The passing game of course hinges on the quarterback. When the Browns ran the ball well; they passed it effectively. Hoyer"s play depended upon the run game.

So as we are now in 2015 mode I like our coaches. I am not going to get into Jim O'Neil because he is a disciple of Pettine's defense.

Going forward my forecast is Kirk Cousins will be Brown. Manziel will have to earn his spot. We shall see what happens.

bonefish #910525 01/01/15 04:28 PM
Legend
Legend
I liked the accountability held with players.

I didn't like the clock management at times; however, that can improve.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
bonefish #910553 01/01/15 06:16 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I think Pettine and Farmer are doing a fine job so far with the potential to improve year to year. My sense at this point in time is that it would be foolish to start the clock on their tenure until we have a franchise QB in place. Until that happens their effectiveness won't necessarily transfer into wins. My fear is that Haslam will expect winning seasons regardless of who the QB is and we'll end up losing this regime before we have the QB position established. That would be a huge mistake IMHO.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
bonefish #910555 01/01/15 06:19 PM
Legend
Legend
I liked our coaching staff.

The only thing I'm worried about at this point is how do they handle difficult players during the offseason.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
bonefish #910747 01/02/15 12:01 AM
P
All Pro
All Pro
P
I really like Pettine and Farmer. I think they building a solid program but a bad locker room will destroy a teams chemistry and momentum quickly. You have to get rid of the bad seeds.

I'm not saying that we should cut Gordon, Manziel, or Gilbert, I'm not even sure what Gilberts problem is but it doesnt look positive. Sounds to me, like Gilbert could get cut for lack of whatever he is doing. I think the other 2 will be safe.

bonefish #910934 01/02/15 01:46 AM
O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O

I'm repeating myself, but from day 1 in the pre-season he handled the QB debates as well as anyone in the league could have. He held players accountable and they responded. Sure, he had a couple of in-game decision lapses but there isn't a coach in the NFL who doesn't.

I'd give him an A- for his rookie season, and I think he did the best job of any HC we've had since '99.

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
OverToad #910985 01/02/15 10:13 AM
Legend
Legend
In addition to his first head coaching gig, he had media crap going on, still sorting players, looking for positive chemistry, and still managed to compete and win some.

Overtoad, I would grade him up on troubleshooting the injuries alone. He dealt with so many unknowns, and some key personnel losses. Hats off to this coaching group for the most part. thumbsup

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
bonefish #910990 01/02/15 10:48 AM
D
Legend
Legend
D
I like Mike, became a big fan of his/him. Didn't like the hire at first, but his down-to-earth, no bs personality I like. His actions has reflected his words he made day one, especially the holding players accountable. Don't practice right, benched. Miss practices or other infractions, benched. Don't display the "Play like a Brown" attributes, benched and that is regardless where your draft status was.

I feel the players played real hard for him in a kind of "pointless" game against Baltimore. I honestly believe he has the respect of the locker room. I feel he handled the media circus as of the likes of Johnny, Gordon and etc very well.

I mean sure, a few bad decisions in the game. Some pretty horrible demonstrations of clock management but I'm sure he'll get that cleaned up and etc post-first coaching gig. Looking forward going into next season with Pettine. That is for sure!

bonefish #910994 01/02/15 11:14 AM
R
Legend
Legend
R
I think ...or hope...the organization hit on Pettine. I don't care if he goes sub .500 the next four seasons. Give him five seasons minimum. So far I think he's been pretty good. His biggest on field issue is time management. It was awful. I wonder if he got some bonus money in his contract for every timeout he took home with him. And ...this is just personal preference...but I love a demonstrative coach or a coach that talks to his players once in awhile on the sidelines. I love when Bellyache walks over to a position group and gets all animated. But that's just personal preference. Not going to hold it against him.

I loved how Pettine showed genuine emotion, sadness, and some competitive fire in his pressers. It seems he cares and wants to win. As long as the players respect him....and it appears they do...we need to ride it out with him and give home some time.

As far as your Cousins prediction, I will throw up and may consider turning in my fan card. Grossi said today that the disrespect for Hoyer in the organization is palpable. I just don't understand how that can be. Guy seems like a good guy. And he's clearly the best option for next year. Cousins is a bum. The organization said they are going to do what's best for the team. Bringing Hoyer back as the starter is best for the team. If they let him walk in favor of Cousins, they will have let some petty personal bias drive their decision. We will quickly fall back into a double digit loss season next year.

There's been some scuttlebutt on here that Farmer wasn't strong enough to stand up to Haslam and say no to Manziel. Right or wrong on that prediction Farmer deserves more time. And while I will argue that if Farmer dumps Hoyer in favor of Cousins, he should still get more time, that will put him on a very slippery slope toward a firing. There is no way, shape, or form Cousins is better than Hoyer.

I personally believe there is some secret hope that Manziel somehow gets it all figured out by next year and whoever they bring in will become a moot point. That's going out on quite a limb.

The only thing I would bet money on is if Hoyer is not brought back we will for sure have double digit losses next year. You can bank on it. Kirk Cousins? Really? Is there an official place where you turn in fan cards? I need directions please.

bonefish #910997 01/02/15 11:27 AM
L
Legend
Legend
L
From what I can see he has the respect of the players, seems no-nonsense but fair. Seems as forthright with the media as he can be. I only saw about half the games but not once do I remember thinking "what the hell....?". I'm just glad we're not looking for a head coach again.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Rishuz #910999 01/02/15 11:39 AM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I got the same feeling. The FO seems distant about BH. All I can guess is.....When BH started down hill and all the JM talk started, BH must have been a real bad case in the locker room. Just the fact that JT felt like he had to take up for him is enlighting enough. I don't think he ever was this vocal about anybody before. I guess the FO felt like he was splitting the locker room, as much as JT spoke up. I feel bad for Pet though, he really did not have much of a choice. He had to try someone different and hope for the best.

Dawginit since Jan. 24, 2000 Member #180
You can't fix yesterday but you can learn for tomorrow
#GMSTRONG

I want to do it as a Cleveland Brown because that's who I am.”
Rishuz #911001 01/02/15 11:43 AM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I see some double standard and apologetics showing up in your evaluation of Pettine, especially since his team checked a lot of what you crucified Chudz's for last season: folding down the stretch and lack of improvement, in fact, his team got worse as the season went on. Same as last year. It is what it is.

I like Pettine's character, he seems like a good guy and he makes it easy to root for him, but I think he's a bad HC and that makes him a carbon copy of Crennel or even Shurmur. I happen to think he's a sub .500 HC who already dropped his lucky bullet season to go over that like Crennel did in 2007: he had semi competent QB play for half a season (which got worse, which was a trend btw), ridiculously easy schedule, won a lot of close games thanks to stupid opposing HCs (who got fired since) and still couldn't get to .500...not sure it will get easier than that the next seasons.

Let's go through the units:

He was a DC, but the D fell from respectable to crap against the run and lacked any consistent pass rush, which is the backbone of his scheme. He played "not to lose" style which, AGAIN, predictably led to many 4th Qtr collapses. It looks like he simply had a ton of talent in Buffalo whose D got much better with the switch from him to Jim Schwartz. No Bills fan misses him, not even as a DC

Not sure what his input was on Offense, but this side of the ball got gradually worse and was just as inconsistent as the D. He absolutely botched the RB situation with his constant depth chart shuffling. He sent out "messages" to any of the 3 backs and ended up with all 3 not playing for him half of the season for differetn reasons. How anyone can spin this to a positive is beyond me. Probably the same one's who loved Mangini and his "tough love" style that got him out of the league in a hurry. Then, with the WRs, he plays a half-hearted Gordon as his #1 and benches arguably his best and most consistent WR Gabriel. Don't think this double standard was missed by the locker room. It was pretty evident that it wasn't missed...same with the QB situation. Manziel was so bad that even Joe Thomas warned him publicly. Sure, Hoyer was horrible, but if Manziel was as bad in practice and didn't improve with his playbook and work ethic, what do you think is the message compared to the constant "show me" mantra at other spots?

I think he lost the locker room at the end. His team was 0-5 down the stretch, playing uninspired in the midst of a PO hunt and looked more like a team that was out of it for at least 3 of those, laying the biggest egg in an all important showdown for the AFCN lead vs Cincy, but somehow nobody tracks the blame back to the HC.

And I haven't even touched the ST play or clock management. Just like at QB or with Farmer as GM, we still don't have a NFL caliber HC

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
bonefish #911014 01/02/15 12:14 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
I think it is too early to properly evaluate Pettine. He had a lot to deal w/this year:

--the QB situation
--a ton of injuries to the d-line
--the injury to Gipson was huge
--a patchwork group of WRs
--losing Cameron for much of the year
--the Mack injury was devastating
--Gordon's suspension and the problems he brought when he returned
--Gilbert being a complete flop and a distraction

I don't think he lost the team. In fact, the team played hard in the last game after the Three Idiots were either suspended or injured.

I am not saying I am sold on Pettine as a coach, but it's too early to tell.

I think Shanny is a great coach. He drew up some marvelous plays. His schemes were outstanding. His playcalling was solid. He is the best coordinator I have seen here in a long, long time.

The guy I am not too fond of is Farmer. He seems hard-headed and rigid. The top of his draft looks disastrous. I don't want him to be fired, but I don't have much faith in him.

Rishuz #911024 01/02/15 12:31 PM
M
Rookie
Rookie
M
Originally Posted By: Rishuz
I think ...or hope...the organization hit on Pettine. I don't care if he goes sub .500 the next four seasons. Give him five seasons minimum. So far I think he's been pretty good. His biggest on field issue is time management. It was awful. I wonder if he got some bonus money in his contract for every timeout he took home with him. And ...this is just personal preference...but I love a demonstrative coach or a coach that talks to his players once in awhile on the sidelines. I love when Bellyache walks over to a position group and gets all animated. But that's just personal preference. Not going to hold it against him.

I loved how Pettine showed genuine emotion, sadness, and some competitive fire in his pressers. It seems he cares and wants to win. As long as the players respect him....and it appears they do...we need to ride it out with him and give home some time.

As far as your Cousins prediction, I will throw up and may consider turning in my fan card. Grossi said today that the disrespect for Hoyer in the organization is palpable. I just don't understand how that can be. Guy seems like a good guy. And he's clearly the best option for next year. Cousins is a bum. The organization said they are going to do what's best for the team. Bringing Hoyer back as the starter is best for the team. If they let him walk in favor of Cousins, they will have let some petty personal bias drive their decision. We will quickly fall back into a double digit loss season next year.

There's been some scuttlebutt on here that Farmer wasn't strong enough to stand up to Haslam and say no to Manziel. Right or wrong on that prediction Farmer deserves more time. And while I will argue that if Farmer dumps Hoyer in favor of Cousins, he should still get more time, that will put him on a very slippery slope toward a firing. There is no way, shape, or form Cousins is better than Hoyer.

I personally believe there is some secret hope that Manziel somehow gets it all figured out by next year and whoever they bring in will become a moot point. That's going out on quite a limb.

The only thing I would bet money on is if Hoyer is not brought back we will for sure have double digit losses next year. You can bank on it. Kirk Cousins? Really? Is there an official place where you turn in fan cards? I need directions please.

Agree with pretty much all of this. I was mostly impressed with Pettine. Poor clock management is the only real knock on him. I think he made the QB switch at exactly the right time. It had to be done, even though I think Manziel is terrible.

I also agree that Kirk Cousins is not a winning NFL QB. Look at Washington. If they're willing to move him, given their current QB situation, what does that say about their evaluation of him? He's not very good. He wasn't anything special in college, either. I never understood the Cousins love.

R
Legend
Legend
R
A coach is only as good as his QB.

Having said that, maybe I was a little unfair to Chud in that regard, but I saw the writing on the wall mid season. I was calling Chud a dud way before anyone else because of the product on the field was so below average it was obvious the team had not bought into him. Then reports came out later that he played favorites and didn't have the respect of everyone in the locker room. It's also why Haslam moved so quickly to get rid of him. Once there's no respect there's no going back. So if you want to cite the same end of season collapse as some form of hypocrisy, go ahead. You're wrong. I was calling Chud out well before then.

It appears to be the exact opposite with Pettine. Didn't play favorites and guys played hard until the end...the Cincy game notwithstanding. But that had more to do with Manziel then Pettine. What does that say about Pettine? I don't know but it was unusual circumstance, and I believe he deserves a mulligan on that.

Pettine can be every bit as good as Tomlin and Lewis who are only in their current positions because of Roth and continuity, respectively. I mean do you really see much difference between those two and Pettine? I don't. Tomlin is a figurehead, but he holds guys accountable and he has a franchise QB to cover his warts. I think that's Pettine's floor. Hell, that's most coaches floor with a franchise QB.

Plus, I'm tired of the merry go round at coach and FO. Pettine didn't lose the locker room in a bizarre season. That's good enough for me in year one.

You're one to talk about double standard and hypocrisy. If Weeden were still on this team, you'd still be supporting a guy who has no business being a professional. But you have to support the guy you backed. News flash...changing your opinion as new evidence becomes available is not only ok, it shows that you let the evidence speak for you...not some bias. It shows integrity and the strength to say you were wrong. It's also ok to not be so myopic and be a big picture thinker. Two things you don't seem capable of.

I know your tactics. You're going to respond with your psycho babble bs. You fancy yourself as the board psychologist. As you can see from the above paragraph, I can go psycho babble too. Don't bother. I barely post anymore because posters like you make this board unbearable.

Rishuz #911032 01/02/15 12:42 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Rish - agree with you that Cousins would be a serious downgrade but I think that there are several FA options equivalent to Hoyer.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

Maybe we should have a different post for Ray Farmer.

What I will say at this point is when he was first hired I was optimistic. After his first year he has revealed himself to be incompetent.

In regards to Cousins. The options as it stands today are not all that great. No matter what they do in the draft another guy needs to be brought in.

Cousins time in Washington is probably over. Shanahan knows him and he did ok running his offense. It would not hurt to bring him in. Is he a solution no.

Rishuz #911040 01/02/15 12:58 PM
Legend
Legend
I liked Chud. He really had no real QB, no WR outside of Gordon, and no RB ...... yet because he and his staff were offensive types, they were supposed to make that work.

You can only do what your talent allows you to do. It is no wonder that we carried over from last year no RB, 1 QB, and 2 WR ... 1 of whom was Gordon, and was suspended for the 1st 10 games of the season.

Really, outside of the OL, we kept only the following players on offense:
Hoyer
Gordon
Benjamin
Cameron
Barnett

On the OL, we carried over: Mack (who went on IR early on) Thomas, Greco, and Schwartz.

So, out of roughly 24-26 offensive spots, we carried over only 9 players.

That should say huge things about the level of talent we had on that side of the ball last year.

It is hard to beat men with bums, and it was hard to win with what we had on this team on the offensive side of the ball last year. Maybe Chud should have pushed harder to find more players, but there are limits to what you can find on the street after teams settle in for the year.

I think that Chud was fired for one reason above all others, that being that he did not cut Little when the front office wanted him gone. Looking at what Chud had at WR without Little, it is hard to blast him too much for that, but I do believe that led to his demise.

Of course, after all of the dust settled, and the front office started to implode during the coaching search .... I think that Haslam took a good look at his roster and said "Crap!". That is why Banner and Lombardi were cut, and Farmer and Pettine took over.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog

I don't think he lost the team. In fact, the team played hard in the last game after the Three Idiots were either suspended or injured.

I think this was pretty telling as well...the team played their hearts out with really nothing left to play for in that last game and just did not have the talent.

I keep going back to the fact were were 7-4 and even in playoff consideration going into week 15. 3 other teams in our division made the playoffs...We reside in the toughest division in football and did all of this while probably over-achieving.

On a side note, Dowell Loggains - is he the right guy to groom the QBs? When Hoyer's mechanics took a dump and he hit a wall, plus JM having the same issues with mechanics - I kept wondering about the relationship between them.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness." [Mark Twain]
Rishuz #911069 01/02/15 02:15 PM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Extremely disappointing response in a lot of ways, but if it makes you feel better, no I don't think much of Tomlin either. I know that he's riding Roth and Lebeau. It's pretty much all he has going for him and I've been saying this for years now.

You know a HC is trash when the biggest positive is "they played hard for him" coupled with "I don't want another HC change". The Raiders fans can say the same thing about Sparano. Hoyer played hard too, so what? If the result is still bad football it makes it even worse, not better.

Did Pettine's team improve during the season or get worse? I saw a team that got worse, his supposed strength, the D, wasn't a real strength and was as inconsistent as the Offense. If you, or anyone who is applauding Pettine, saw something different, feel free to tell us, because all I've read so far was a variation of "he battled" with not much on field arguments to make stronger points.

Answer me this:

- What's the identity of Pettine's Browns? What IS "playing like a Brown", what does it stand for? Where was the pass rush? Where was the press scheme?

- What unit improved during the season? What players? I actually think more players regressed than getting better

Last edited by DjangoBrown; 01/02/15 02:20 PM.

#gmstrong

M
Rookie
Rookie
M
Originally Posted By: DjangoBrown

- What unit improved during the season? What players? I actually think more players regressed than getting better

To this I would say injuries and lack of depth hurt everyone over the course of the season.
I think Mingo showed some positive signs as the season progressed.
Of course, I also think Joe Thomas had his worst season.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend

"What IS "playing like a Brown", what does it stand for?"

Let's start with this: The players who have earned the right to start - start. Gilbert was drafted to beat Skrine out. He could not. K'Wuan Williams a undrafted free agent started. Bear in mind how hard it is for FA to just get snaps at practice. Yet he started over a first rounder and a fourth rounder.

Ben Tate was signed as a FA to be the RB. The Browns traded up in the third to draft West to compete at running back. Crowell a undrafted FA started. Tate was cut and West found out you have to earn the right to start. "Play like Brown".

"Next man up". When you lose starting players like: Phil Taylor, Gipson, Austin, Armonty Bryant, Mack,(Cameron missed over half), Gordon, Hughes and lack roster depth; guess what some stats are not going to look to good.

When you do not have the players on the team that fit the scheme you want to use: you make do.

Let me ask you this?

How many games did you predict the Browns to win this year before the season started?

How good did a team like the Browns look going into the season with their starters intact?

The Cleveland Browns with their franchise quarterback and their great receivers and their explosive running game were picked by almost every person who covers football to win maybe 3 or 4 games. Now add the injuries to this veteran playoff team.

You analysis makes me laugh.

bonefish #911102 01/02/15 05:29 PM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: bonefish
You analysis makes me laugh.[/color]

Thanks for proving my point, as far as arguments go.

Btw, Vegas had us at 5.5 wins...so much for that and since many think lowly of the Browns they probably predicted a 6 win season, as did I, iirc. If it wasn't for two braindead HCs who outdumbed our own and who got fired already, we're looking at another 5 win season with a terrible late season collapse with one of the easiest schedules in the league.

Oh, the apologies. The Browns weren't the only team with injured starters, that's a lame excuse. Guess "next man up" didn't quite work out then or what is "really" the injuries? What is it? Whine like a loser or a great motto with no game? Your poison to choose from.

Sad

#gmstrong

Legend
OP Offline
Legend

Vegas hey, sorry I don't him. Never heard him talk. Is that all you got Vegas? Why don't you look at maybe some other sources.

Oh so you predicted 6 wins hey? Based upon what?

So key injuries to a team that has not won more than 5 games in over 5 years is lame just because other teams have injuries? Really why is that? Because of their draft or the high priced free agents they signed? Maybe the current roster. Or hey, how about a complete new coaching staff with years of experience with their players. I guess none of that comes into play with your analysis.

So did you feel that Hoyer or maybe Manziel was going to lead the team to a 8 win season?

Also, I guess that close games that you win don't count but the close ones you lose do?

Is that how it works?

Mike Pettine a first year head coach took a lousy team with no starting quarterback, that had done nothing but lose to a competitive team in a division with 3 playoff teams.

Go ahead say it. Repeat what I said and then sthfu.

bonefish #911110 01/02/15 06:06 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:
Go ahead say it. Repeat what I said and then sthfu.

LOL.......there are times when I love this place. brownie

Legend
OP Offline
Legend

I had to say that. I just had too.

You know, taking over the Browns this year, given all that has transpired, as a first time head coach, in this division was no easy task.

Then you read what this guy has to say and you have to wonder. What life experience is his frame of reference coming from?

bonefish #911118 01/02/15 06:46 PM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I have to laugh that people are still saying that Haslam forced them to take Manzeil. I guess they are all liars, since nobody who says something that the media concocted is false is ever telling the truth.

As for the person who called Farmer incompetent, did you actually believe before the season that either would flop? My guess is no. It is easy to criticize afterwards.

#gmstrong
bonefish #911120 01/02/15 06:50 PM
M
Legend
Legend
M

"What IS "playing like a Brown", what does it stand for?"

Let's start with this: The players who have earned the right to start - start. Gilbert was drafted to beat Skrine out. He could not. K'Wuan Williams a undrafted free agent started. Bear in mind how hard it is for FA to just get snaps at practice. Yet he started over a first rounder and a fourth rounder.

Ben Tate was signed as a FA to be the RB. The Browns traded up in the third to draft West to compete at running back. Crowell a undrafted FA started. Tate was cut and West found out you have to earn the right to start. "Play like Brown".

"Next man up". When you lose starting players like: Phil Taylor, Gipson, Austin, Armonty Bryant, Mack,(Cameron missed over half), Gordon, Hughes and lack roster depth; guess what some stats are not going to look to good.

When you do not have the players on the team that fit the scheme you want to use: you make do.

Let me ask you this?

How many games did you predict the Browns to win this year before the season started?

How good did a team like the Browns look going into the season with their starters intact?

The Cleveland Browns with their franchise quarterback and their great receivers and their explosive running game were picked by almost every person who covers football to win maybe 3 or 4 games. Now add the injuries to this veteran playoff team.

You analysis makes me laugh.

Bonefish, I agree with most of your post and some points even encouraged me a tad for next year.

This portion of your post really stood out to me regarding Pettine and his consistency with the players:

Quote:

I think this sums up Pettine in a nut shell. Whoever plays the best during the week or who exhibits having the largest sample size to produce will play/start. Gilbert sat. Tate was benched. Pettine bypassed most of the Manziel hype in the pre-season to go with Hoyer when both played bad...Hoyer just worked harder. There were some bumps in the road this year, but I think this was the constant with our HC. And it COULD pay dividends with all younger players moving forward.....you have to put in the time no matter where you were drafted or how much you signed for if you want to play for the Browns...hence, "Play like a Brown" (which I don't necessarily like but what I'm guessing he going for)....perform like a professional in all phases in the NFL.

We'll see if there is buy in moving forward.

Secondly, injuries happen to all teams so I'd feel insincere if i'd say that is one of the main reasons for the dip in the second half. However, it did play a part. Gipson, on his way to a stellar season, went down. Phil Taylor, I don't care who all hates him, would have done better than what I saw from everyone else that played on the line sans Winn and Bryant (at times), but both played DE where PT shouldn't have been in this scheme. Hell, Taylor should have been the NT over Rubin, just like last year. Mack was obviously a big hit....another PB'er down. Cameron's concussion and Gordon's absence certainly effecting continuity, familiarity, and a lack of weapons offensively. But it is the injuries you mentioned, that give me a little added hope for next year and reaffirms how I feel about this team at its core-- and it's that there is a lot of legitimate talent on this team. I really believe that.

We just have to solve one problem.... a problem ailing us since 1999.

Tackles are tackles.
bonefish #911121 01/02/15 06:53 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I had no high hopes for Pettine, but you can't overlook that he got the most out of this roster. So, I am on board with Pet. This is the first time I have wanted the coach in the prior season to come back since this joke of a "rebirth" came into fruition. However, I am not so sure about Farmer.
He signed some good UDFA's, but his first round selections are not impressing me. As of right now, they look horrible!

bonefish #911125 01/02/15 06:58 PM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker

V
Mike Pettine a first year head coach took a lousy team with no starting quarterback, that had done nothing but lose to a competitive team in a division with 3 playoff teams.

Looking at Division winner in the league, you have to go minimum 4-2, with the exception of ours, where 3-3 will get you in the playoffs. Our Division continues to be the toughest in the league...this makes us getting to the playoffs harder than most - IMO. This is not an excuse - but reality. The day we can beat Pitt 2x and Balt 2x - that will be the time we are ready for the playoffs. We beat both of them 1x this year - that at least shows progress. It seems to say that Piit / Balt / Cin are better than 90% of the league on any given day...

All this means we are going to have to build our way out of this hole as waiting for down years of Pitt and Balt are not happening. Lather - Rinse -Repeat is not working so please build solid pieces at a time...our lack of depth killed us. Our ST killed us. Our D late in the games killed us...

That being said, what kind of team Identity are we looking for? Do we want to be O-driven where we put up 30 points a game? D-driven where we average 13 points given up per game? A balance of 20 given and 24 earned? Seems like who we want to be will determine how we draft, trade and move.

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Originally Posted By: Dawg_Traveler

V

Looking at Division winner in the league, you have to go minimum 4-2, with the exception of ours, where 3-3 will get you in the playoffs. Our Division continues to be the toughest in the league...this makes us getting to the playoffs harder than most - IMO. This is not an excuse - but reality. The day we can beat Pitt 2x and Balt 2x - that will be the time we are ready for the playoffs. We beat both of them 1x this year - that at least shows progress. It seems to say that Piit / Balt / Cin are better than 90% of the league on any given day...

All this means we are going to have to build our way out of this hole as waiting for down years of Pitt and Balt are not happening. Lather - Rinse -Repeat is not working so please build solid pieces at a time...our lack of depth killed us. Our ST killed us. Our D late in the games killed us...

That being said, what kind of team Identity are we looking for? Do we want to be O-driven where we put up 30 points a game? D-driven where we average 13 points given up per game? A balance of 20 given and 24 earned? Seems like who we want to be will determine how we draft, trade and move.

The identity of this team should be known this off season. The draft and FA will tell how we are headed. I think with Pettine being a D guy, that is the answer coupled with Farmer's attitude that we do not need a stud WR to be successful.

SuperBrown #911135 01/02/15 07:50 PM
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Ray Farmer has done better than our other GM'S IMO. His 1st round selections are in ? at this time but very few of our 1st rounders have been any good no matter who picked them. I think he'll get better with experience. at least he has hit in some other rounds and with UDFA'S.

M
Legend
Legend
M
I beg to differ. Farmer has not done better than "other GMs"....at least not yet.

Last edited by MemphisBrownie; 01/02/15 08:35 PM.

Tackles are tackles.
P
Legend
Legend
P
There's really no apologies needed dj.

I enjoy reading you dramatic, lopsided opinion, but even you know how unrealistic it is.

naughtydevil

You know that when you change schemes on both sides of the ball you can't completely turn over an entire roster in one off season. You know it will take time to get all of the depth in place for "next man up" to work.

You also know that a first year NFL HC will make some mistakes and need to grow into the job. And that's exactly what we're seeing here.

So you can take those factors, ignore them and spin it in the worst possible way as you have done, or you can look at the reality of the situation and understand what you're seeing.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
You simply CANNOT afford to miss with number 1 picks no matter how inexperienced or experienced you are!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SuperBrown #911314 01/03/15 05:42 PM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: SuperBrown
You simply CANNOT afford to miss with number 1 picks no matter how inexperienced or experienced you are!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Drafted players don't come with a money back guarantee.

There was every reason to believe that Gilbert would/should have succeeded. Can you imagine if he had? Haden and him would have been a force to be reckoned with.

I don't know what to say about manziel

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
SuperBrown #911317 01/03/15 05:58 PM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker

I thought this article was interesting. I would tend to agree but I am Browns' biased thumbsup

Rams and Browns lead worst-to-first candidates for 2015 NFL season

Quote:
Going from worst to first in the NFL is tough.

Parity might rule the day, but even teams with high draft picks and plenty of salary-cap space face slim odds when it comes to mounting complete turnarounds in one offseason. The success rate of 2013's last-place teams -- none made the playoffs, and five finished in last place again in 2014 -- bears that out.

Of course, while this season's last-place teams have a tough road ahead, each features some element that provides reason for optimism. Below is my take on 2014's cellar dwellers, ranked according to their chances of pulling off the elusive worst-to-first trick in 2015.

1) St. Louis Rams

Seeds of hope: Jeff Fisher leads a very good coaching staff. The Rams have drafted well lately, adding youth and talent at key positions. Greg Robinson (No. 2 overall in 2014) boosted the offensive line after stepping in at left tackle, and 13th overall pick Aaron Donald (nine sacks, two forced fumbles) played at a Rookie of the Year level at defensive tackle. Donald joined a defense led by end Robert Quinn that -- with fellow end Chris Long missing a big chunk of the year due to an ankle injury -- started slowly before finishing strong, racking up 40 sacks after notching just one through five games.

Seeds of doubt: Sam Bradford is the key. He must stay healthy at quarterback, or the Rams have to add someone who can carry them at the position. When Bradford is right, he's very good, a great football player and athlete who can throw a perfect spiral and boasts great recognition skills. But he's posted just two 16-game seasons since St. Louis took him with the first overall pick in 2010, missing all of 2014 with a torn ACL in his left knee after missing much of 2013 with an ACL tear in the same knee. St. Louis has built up to the point where it can compete -- but it must get strong quarterback play from someone.

Divisional outlook: The NFC West is as stacked as ever, boasting the second-best winning percentage (.583) in the NFL. Still, the Rams proved to be a tough out, beating the Seahawks and 49ers.

2) Cleveland Browns

Seeds of hope: Instead of floundering as expected, the Browns won seven of their first 11 games, hanging in the playoff race long enough to give them something to build on in 2015. First-year coach Mike Pettine, who has done a good job, and the rest of the staff should settle in and perform even better. Alex Mack, one of the best centers in the NFL, will be back after missing 11 games in 2014 with a broken fibula. Cornerback Joe Haden leads a solid defense that will also be getting some key players healthy, including Phil Taylor, Armonty Bryant and Tashaun Gipson. And on offense, there is talent to work with: tackle Joe Thomas, outstanding rookie guard Joel Bitonio, running backs Isaiah Crowell and Terrance West and receiver Josh Gordon. Plus, Cleveland will have two first-round draft picks in 2015 and should have cap space to use.

Seeds of doubt: Can Johnny Manziel make good on his promise to shape up? Poor quarterback play -- from Brian Hoyer in key losses to the Bills (in Week 13) and Colts (in Week 14) and from Manziel to close out the year -- held this squad back in 2014. I might have been too high on Manziel when he came out of college. Still, as disappointing as he's been, I think he's a talented guy. Can Gordon and rookie cornerback Justin Gilbert get back in the good graces of Pettine and the organization?

Divisional outlook: The AFC North was the NFL's best division, notching a .608 winning percentage and sending everyone but the Browns to the playoffs. Still, Cleveland -- which was in first place at one point -- showed it can compete, registering big wins over the Steelers and Bengals.

3) Washington Redskins

Seeds of hope: I expect a fully healthy Robert Griffin III to bounce back from a turbulent 2014 and really play well. Toward the end of the year, I saw him take command of the game and display increased accuracy. The way he drove Washington down the field for the winning score in the closing moments of the Redskins' Week 16 upset of the Eagles was a positive indicator of things to come. He has some great assets around him, especially in receiver DeSean Jackson and left tackle Trent Williams. Once Griffin figures out how to do what he needs to do to win, he'll be fine.

Seeds of doubt: The Redskins were outscored by a ghastly 137 points, worse than all but three teams in the NFL. Standout Ryan Kerrigan aside, they must fix their defense. Former coordinator Jim Haslett blitzed a lot; to replace him, I think they'll bring in someone who takes fewer risks.

Divisional outlook: Washington should have a shot to make noise in an NFC East that's been fairly fluid the past few years.

4) Oakland Raiders
Seeds of hope: The Raiders have their quarterback. Derek Carr played exceptionally well for a rookie starting on a bad team, avoiding a lot of the pitfalls -- like taking tons of sacks -- that usually bedevil first-year pros. Running back Latavius Murray and tight end Mychal Rivera look like up-and-comers. Fifth-overall pick Khalil Mack, meanwhile, has exceeded even my high expectations for him; at this point, he'd be my pick for Defensive Rookie of the Year. Interim coach Tony Sparano did a great job bucking this group up, and for the Raiders' sake, I hope they bring him back on a full-time basis. He had them in games they would have been out of by halftime in the past.

Seeds of doubt: Oakland must make up for lost time after several years of making poor player acquisitions, both via the draft (as with D.J. Hayden, the 12th overall pick in 2013) and free agency (recent pickup LaMarr Woodley). The Raiders also need to scrape together a pass rush.

Divisional outlook: Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning will be 39 next season, and Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers is 33. Consequently, Denver and San Diego should both slip slightly in the AFC West, leaving the division a bit more open than it might seem.

5) New York Jets
Seeds of hope: New York has an excellent defensive line, led by standout Sheldon Richardson. Whenever you have a defensive front that can impact the game, you have a chance. Yes, the Jets need to shore up the secondary, but they should have the cap space to do so. Plus, I still expect rookie defensive back Calvin Pryor to develop into a good player. Receiver Eric Decker finally started producing down the stretch, accumulating 431 yards -- including 221 in the regular-season finale -- over his last four games.

Seeds of doubt: Geno Smith showed what he's capable of in Week 17, throwing for 358 yards, three scores and zero picks against a pretty good Miami Dolphins defense. Of course, that performance was easily the best of what was an otherwise up and down second pro season for Smith, and the position remains a glaring question mark. The Jets would do well to draft a quarterback if they can. Also, they must make better use of their resources than they did last offseason.

Divisional outlook: We can't expect the Patriots to relinquish their stranglehold on the AFC East anytime soon. Still, the Jets have a better shot at turning things around than the rest of the teams below.

6) Chicago Bears

Seeds of hope: Jay Cutler is enormously talented; he can make all the throws and has arm strength and athletic ability to spare. But he's struggled to turn that into on-field success, committing big mistakes -- like throwing to guys in double coverage -- that make one wonder if he has sense enough to put his skills to good use. The Bears should seriously consider hiring Mike Shanahan, who got results out of Cutler and receiver Brandon Marshall in Denver, as their new coach. Cutler will be entering his 10th year in the NFL, but he should still have plenty of gas left in the tank. Shanahan could channel Cutler's ability and turn a potential "seed of doubt" into a definite "seed of hope." Plus, the coach is a Chicago person who understands this is not a finesse team, and that the Bears should pound the ball and play defense.

Seeds of doubt: The defense -- which ranked 30th in the NFL -- is a huge problem. That said, the Bears did draft two good defensive players last May in Kyle Fuller and Brock Vereen. And don't forget that Lamarr Houston should be back after tearing his ACL in October. The new regime must continue to build this unit up, but a turnaround is in sight.

Divisional outlook: Things will be tough for the Bears in the NFC North. The Packers (Aaron Rodgers) and Lions (Matthew Stafford) have excellent quarterbacks, while the Vikings are an ascending team.

7) Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Seeds of hope: The Bucs have a lot of work to do, but Lovie Smith will fix the 25th-ranked defense. This season aside, he's a good coach who has a plan and knows exactly where he's going and how to get there. Smith and general manager Jason Licht will work together to significantly upgrade both this roster and the rest of the coaching staff this offseason. Plus, the Bucs have the first overall pick in the 2015 NFL Draft -- a huge asset.

Seeds of doubt: As I said, the Bucs have a lot of work to do. First, they need to solve their quarterback situation, which -- with veteran Josh McCown and youngster Mike Glennon both failing to provide much -- really sank them in 2014. Tampa Bay must nail its evaluation of the quarterback prospects who will be available with the No. 1 selection, especially if the choice comes down to Marcus Mariota and Jameis Winston. Historically speaking, whenever there are two top-tier quarterbacks available, one seems to turn out much better than the other. This will be a monumental moment for the Bucs, with the potential to shape the course of their franchise for years to come. They also need an offensive coordinator who will take advantage of the pieces they have.

Divisional outlook: The NFC South figures to be wide open, based on its dismal .342 winning percentage in 2014, but well, again, the Bucs have many issues to fix.

8) Tennessee Titans
Harrison: Power Rankings
What does the pecking order look like with the regular season behind us and the postseason on tap? Elliot Harrison weighs in. READ
Seeds of hope: The Titans have a serious talent deficiency, but they do have some players, like young offensive linemen Taylor Lewan and Chance Warmack, and some good receivers. Tennessee also has the second overall pick in the 2015 NFL Draft and should have plenty of cap space to work with.

Seeds of doubt: This is simply not a very good team. The Titans just don't have enough guys who can contribute to success. With Jake Locker having firmly and finally flamed out, Tennessee needs a quarterback. The team might see Zach Mettenberger as the answer there, but I just don't think he's athletic enough. He's good to have on the roster, but not as the starter.

Divisional outlook: Though the rest of the Colts' roster is tough to peg, Andrew Luck makes Indy exceptionally tough to bring down. Still, while Houston is on a slight uptick, the AFC South is not very imposing.

SuperBrown #911329 01/03/15 06:17 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Name 1 team that has not missed on a pick.

Even the Pats miss on picks.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

WooferDawg #911357 01/03/15 07:09 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: ChargerDawg

When?????????????

We do it almost every year regardless of who the clown is in the GM chair.

SuperBrown #911394 01/03/15 07:57 PM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: ChargerDawg

When?????????????

We do it almost every year regardless of who the clown is in the GM chair.

here is the last 10 years..Not sure how to grade them??

Quote:

2004 21 Vince Wilfork DT Miami (FL)
2004 32 Benjamin Watson TE Georgia
2005 32 Logan Mankins OG Fresno State
2006 21 Laurence Maroney RB Minnesota
2007 24 Brandon Meriweather S Miami (FL)
2008 10 Jerod Mayo LB Tennessee
2009 No first-round draft pick
2010 27 Devin McCourty CB Rutgers
2011 17 Nate Solder OT Colorado
2012 21 Chandler Jones DE Syracuse
2012 25 Dont'a Hightower LB Alabama
2013 No first-round draft pick
2014 29 Dominique Easley DT Florida

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Mike Pettine

Link Copied to Clipboard