Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#912293 01/06/15 02:08 PM
W
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
W
I had a tweet come across my news feed that said Jason La Canfora had some not so great things to say about the climate in Berea.

I don't have a link to anything written but here is a link to the podcast.
92.3 The Fan Podcast - Jason La Canfora

I have to say that if even half of what this guy says is true then we could be in for some real trouble.

- He basically called out Haslem as a meddler and the sole reason Johnny Manziel is a Brown.

-He says Shannahan might be leaving and most won't try to get him to stay even if he takes a different OC job.

-He says that Gordon and Manziel should be traded for anything they can get. He actually says they should trade Manziel "for a bag of footballs." rofl

-Two different groups of football people have come in and Haslem still thinks he's the smartest in the room.

I can only hope that this guy is soooo far from being right. fingerscrossed
BUT, I'm a Browns fan, so I expect that there is probably more truth than we want to admit....

P.S. Refs, if this is in the wrong forum, please move it!!

#gmstrong.
Legend
Legend
I haven't listened to the podcast, but I fully expect that every bit of that is gospel truth.

You would have a hard time convincing me that Haslam isn't a meddler and isn't the reason we're saddled with Manziel. I really don't think anyone wanted him except Haslam.

I agree that both Manziel and Gordon should be Items #1 & #2 on the trading block, and while we should try to fleece folks where we can, we should simply get anything. Ship Gordon to Oakland for whatever they'll give us, give Johnny to Dallas.

Shanny - almost certainly is leaving. C'est la vie.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Said it from the beginning ; Lord help us we have a Good Old Boy for an owner .. Only in poor old Cleveland ..

W
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
W
Prpl, if you get the time, you should give it a listen.

A lot of it is hard to digest in that you don't want any of those things to be true, but deep down you kinda know they are.

He even said that most of the staff would rather run screaming away from Manziel than to have to deal with him.

If Haslem wants to stay true to his word, he has no choice but to unload Gordon and Manziel or he will single-handedly perpetuate the "Factory of Sadness"

#gmstrong.
R
Legend
Legend
R
I don't think LaCanfora is the type to just put out anything without something solid backing it up.

Having said that, I am sure there is dysfunction in every organization, and he takes great joy in pointing it out in the Browns because his buddy got fired.

We will have real issues when you start hearing that Pettine or Farmer want out because of this stuff. That means Haslam is a problem.

Cooler heads need to prevail here. I have no doubt that the team from Haslam on down made a number of mistakes this year. Catalog them, learn from them, and move on. I liked Pettine's candor in that he wasn't perfect and had a list of things he wanted to correct. Farmer, on the other hand, I can't stand his arrogance. But we need to hope these guys get it figured out. It's best for the Browns if they do.

LOL - The Rish will be upset with this news as well. KS just doesn't prioritize winning...
Rishuz #912307 01/06/15 02:29 PM
W
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
W
Originally Posted By: Rishuz

We will have real issues when you start hearing that Pettine or Farmer want out because of this stuff. That means Haslam is a problem.

He never directly said anything to that effect, but he definitely made some insinuations.

#gmstrong.
Legend
Legend
I'm to the point I don't even care who the GM or Coach are..

Some want to "build a perfect team" and then slot a QB in there..

I just want a QB.. Because that's where everything starts..

Hell I'd trade the entire 2015 draft for whatever's left of Tom Brady's career at this point..

I don't care if the Browns are good for 1 year and win a Super Bowl and go back to being crappy.. Just get that one.. The Cavs, Michigan, Blue Jackets, and Indians could all win a title in the same year and it wouldn't mean as much..

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
M
Legend
Legend
M
Follow

Jason La CanforaVerified account
‏@JasonLaCanfora
Will be interesting to see if Shanahan ends up wanting to stay in CLE, given QB situation, etc, and would Browns let him make lateral move ?

Tweet

M
Legend
Legend
M
And.....

Jason La CanforaVerified account
‏@JasonLaCanfora
Wouldn't be shocked if it played out that way. Heard Browns have reached out to guys like Charlie Weis in the event Shanahan is gone

Tweet #2

R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted By: ThatGuy
I'm to the point I don't even care who the GM or Coach are..

Some want to "build a perfect team" and then slot a QB in there..

I just want a QB.. Because that's where everything starts..

Hell I'd trade the entire 2015 draft for whatever's left of Tom Brady's career at this point..

I don't care if the Browns are good for 1 year and win a Super Bowl and go back to being crappy.. Just get that one.. The Cavs, Michigan, Blue Jackets, and Indians could all win a title in the same year and it wouldn't mean as much..

This is why I said that there is dysfunction in every organization.

The Browns is highlighted because they are losers and don't have a QB.

The Steelers have had terrible drafts and went through a period where Roth and Haley weren't even talking. During the season. That's dysfunction.

Yet they still win and all is easily forgotten.

We need a QB so desperately.

LOL - The Rish will be upset with this news as well. KS just doesn't prioritize winning...
Rishuz #912315 01/06/15 02:44 PM
W
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
W
And an owner who just sticks to writing checks and giving out fuel rebates...

#gmstrong.
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
JC
Just my own curiosity. Do teams ever block lateral moves? I dont recall ever hearing it.

Arps #912319 01/06/15 02:56 PM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Arps
JC
Just my own curiosity. Do teams ever block lateral moves? I dont recall ever hearing it.

Occasionally. I seem to recall the Saints blocking an assistant coach from making a parallel move. I would also bet that a team would block an assistant from going to a divisional rival.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
I could see that I guess. It just seems the league is pretty small and owners dont often try to mess each over. You could run out of friends in a hurry.

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Is there anything on there that surprises you? The first three have been documented before, both in the press and on here. The last one hasn't necessarily been documented, but seems obvious to me.

Haslam needs to learn that being Dan Snyder Jr will not get the team anywhere. Dan Snyder has proven that over and over, why try to emulate it?

If Shanahan wants to leave, I'd have no issue with that. He's under contract though, get some compensation for him. If there are really 3 teams (per PFT) looking at him as OC with his dad, lets start the bidding at a 4th or 5th round pick.

I agree on Gordon and Manziel. I suspect we can get a mid round pick for Gordon from a team that thinks they can change him. For Manziel, maybe Dallas would offer up a mid or late rounder. I can't see Halsam allowing that though, too much ego involved.

Legend
Legend
An NFL team without a QB is in peril? Shocking.

If we draft the next Tom Brady or Russell Wilson all of this will go away.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
jc

La Canfora has had a hard on for the browns since we fired his buddy...

Did he have any proof or is it all form the infamous reluiabel source / insider?

Now dont mis understand Haslam had a role in Manziel and that is bothersome... but to think these billionaires dont like to play with their toys and have a say it what goes on is naive at best.

The best seem to stand just out of the limelight and allow those they pay to make the major decisions.. lets hope JH has learned that.

Last edited by texaslostdawg; 01/06/15 03:32 PM.

#gmstrong

A smart person knows what to say.

A wise person knows whether or not to say it.
Legend
Legend
I've not heard any documentation about Haslam regarding he being the one that chose Manziel.. I've heard a bunch of speculation, but not documentation.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Damanshot
I've not heard any documentation about Haslam regarding he being the one that chose Manziel.. I've heard a bunch of speculation, but not documentation.

I don't think you ever will. Unless 4-5 years from now when were playing a team Farmer works for now and someone asks him about it..

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
N
Legend
Legend
N
perhaps he is right, but anyone that wants to take La Canfora seriously needs to remember the cry baby article he wrote about us after we fired Lombardi (his buddy).

I cannot take him seriously when discussing Haslam after that one.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: ThatGuy
Originally Posted By: Damanshot

I don't think you ever will. Unless 4-5 years from now when were playing a team Farmer works for now and someone asks him about it..

I know that, but clwb said it was documented and I was responding that I haven't seen it.

Sometimes I think that if people see it talked about on here, they somehow figure that it's a fact. We don't know what the facts are. Some think that Haslam made that call. I can see that as possible for sure. he's an owner and he wants to make a big splash.. And let's face it, it's bold. not smart but bold. Splashy.

Lacomforta says it and suddenly, people think it's real. but i've wondered why Jason has been so negative about the Browns since Lombardi was canned. the timing is at the least interesting. But I don't know anything for certain.

I guess I'm just not going to get all up in arms over a talking head. even one that is normally as reliable as JL..

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
It is documented as well as you will ever see it as such in that you have someone on our staff paraphrasing Haslam as saying "ok, let's go up and get him".

I don't see this as LaCanfora being sour at all, I think it is just simply honesty.

Browns is the Browns

Legend
Legend

Jason La Canfora is nothing more than than a guy looking for a headline to keep a job.

His credibility is sadly lacking.

With that being said Haslam is an ego maniac who appears to be a control freak. However, all owners want to win. Most will overreact for a quick fix.

It is difficult to tell how toxic the environment in Berea is. Pressure to win is on all NFL organizations.

The quarterback situation is dire and a quick fix does not look possible. So all the coaching staff feels the pressure.

Ray Farmer was hired to fix the problem. If he let Haslam draft Manziel and he felt otherwise than shame on him. If Farmer drafted Manziel on his own then he needs more sense.

Next year is going to be rough. Haslam is going to expect improvement. More wins from a tougher schedule with still no solution at quarterback.

Yeah, that's heavy air to breath.

R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted By: bonefish

Next year is going to be rough. Haslam is going to expect improvement. More wins from a tougher schedule with still no solution at quarterback.

Yeah, this is going to be a problem.

To me, this is another reason to stay with Hoyer. Believe it or not, he's our only chance to have a successful season and not continue the merry go round of coaches and FOs.

Sadly, I don't believe Pettine and Farmer will survive a double digit loss season. And sadly, I think Hoyer is the only one who can prevent that.

Looks like starting over in 2016 again... while Cincy, Pitt, and Balt all continue to make the playoffs.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Laconfora was mentored by Lombardi and Haslam fired Lombardi and made him look like a joke on his way out. haslam was a genius up until the day he fired Lombardi if you have listened to Laconfora since Lombardi was hired and fired lol. It is almost comical.

I dont know if Haslam pulled the trigger on Manziel or not but both Farmer and Haslam knew bringing in Manziel was gonna get the Browns press and guess what? The Browns went from back page to front page and you had to wait in line to get a Johnny Manziel #2 Jersey. Wins are great but profit counts for a hell of a lot also from the ownership point of view.

Shannahan is being pursued by 4 teams and I hate to see him go but I will be happy for him if he does get the nod. I hope whomever we bring in hates the read option.

Rishuz #912388 01/06/15 04:57 PM
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
I can only imagine working in a situation where your superior actually has more money than brains and tries to tell me how to do my job and with what tools. That would not be very much of a confidence builder. If...and I say if...Haslam made the Manziel pick, he needs to bud out and let the people who were hired to do their jobs do their jobs.

Any time someone with more money than brains runs the organization, there will be problems. This may be the case in Berea. I do believe Haslam wants to win, and win now, but he does not know how to go about it.

IMO, as long as Manziel and Gordon are members of the Cleveland Browns, there will be problems. Our professionals ( Thomas, Hoyer and Jordan Cameron) know and understand the destiny associated with a losing culture....that Manziel and Godon represent.

Haslam needs to put the pen to the paper and bud out!!! Mr. Haslam, you hired Pettine and Farmer to do their job.....let them do it.

Of course, this is all based on the belief that Haslam made the poor Manziel pick and is meddling in the jobs of others. Way too much money blowing up heads and building false prophecies of competency.

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I'm on board with trading Johnny Manziel.

See if Dallas, New York, Tampa Bay or Tennessee will give us a 6th round draft pick for the kid...

I was a supporter of him when we drafted him last year, I liked his moxy, attitude and leadership abilities and thought he was the type of quarterback that Cleveland needed. Boy was I wrong? His on field play wasn't necessarily the problem but all of his off the field antics and all the reports saying he didn't work very hard or take the job serious enough. If being a successful NFL quarterback isn't the only thing on your mind as a rookie you need to find a new job. End of story.

Josh Gordon...

I'm not quite sure I'm ready to trade him just yet. His on field talents are phenomenal when he's focused and in the game. I'm curious to see him perform with a real franchise quarterback. With that being said all of his off the field issues are really disappointing, if someone were to call us and offer up a 3rd-round draft pick I would almost be inclined to take it. Their are a handful of good receivers that are set to hit free agency and that should be there come draft day.

Kyle Shanahan...

Don't really want to see him go. I would like continuity. Our 4th offensive coordinator in 4-years isn't going to do anything to help this team, in fact, it could hurt it.

Jimmy Haslam...

Can't fault him for wanting Manziel. I did too. He wanted to get the fans excited and make a splash and he did by forcing his hand last Spring in the draft. I didn't like Banner or Lombardi, I was glad to see them go, but I hated when Haslam fired coach Chud. I have not really seen enough that makes me want to hate Haslam, at least he's invested in the team and wants us to win. (I think).

So our plan??

Sign a veteran quarterback (Jake Locker, Brian Hoyer or Mark Sanchez).

OR

Trade for a veteran quarterback (Kirk Cousins, Mike Glennon, or Sam Bradford).

Draft a quarterback in the 2nd or 3rd round and commit to grooming said quarterback for a few years (my vote is for Bryce Petty out of Baylor).

Be aggressive in free agency, grab a good RG, DT/DE, WR and TE.

Don't move around in the draft, get the BPA when we can.

This team has a lot of talent already. Address QB, RT and WR on offense and then fix the run defense and we should be in good shape.

Last edited by MrKelso; 01/06/15 05:03 PM.

"You can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave"
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
It is documented as well as you will ever see it as such in that you have someone on our staff paraphrasing Haslam as saying "ok, let's go up and get him".

I don't see this as LaCanfora being sour at all, I think it is just simply honesty.

Amended.....

Quote:
It is documented as well as you will ever see it as such in that you have someone on our staff IN THE DRAFT ROOM paraphrasing Haslam as saying "ok, let's go up and get him".

Sources don't get much better than that, sadly enough.

Tackles are tackles.
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Not surprising at all. Haslam the new Jerry jones? lmao

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Everyone is mentioning Sanchez, Locker, Glennon, but no one is mentioning Ponder. Ponder QBed the Vikings to the playoffs in his second season. Yes.. that was Adrian Peterson's BIG season, but Ponder threw 18 TDs to 12 INTs. A First round, # 12 draft pick, Ponder is only 26 years old and a Free Agent, the Vikings did not pick up his 5th year option for 2015. He had a triceps injury at the end of 2012 and never fully recovered, though he did try to play through the injury in 2013. It seems as though he was never given the chance to regain his job after he finally did recover from the injury, as the Vikings had moved on to Cassel and then Bridgewater by that point.

If the Browns are looking to move on to another QB.. why not Ponder...

The Cleveland Browns - WE KNOW QUARTERBACKS ( Look at how many we've had ... )
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Halfback32
If the Browns are looking to move on to another QB.. why not Ponder...

I'd put him on the list above Cousins. Mostly only because we wouldn't have to trade for him..

If you're signing Christian Ponder as your starting QB.. Well you're probably the Browns..

Legend
Legend
Man, is this what our QB hopes has really come down to... Touting the busts of the other bottom-feeder teams in the NFL?

Man, that is depressing.

I say trade Manziel, sign Hoyer, then sign at least TWO of those busts (except Sanchez... he just sucks), then draft someone... and see what shakes out in camps.

Browns is the Browns

D
Legend
Legend
D
To make a long story short, La Canfora is a moron.

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
well .. we tried it the other way... 4 first round draft picks of our own ( Couch, Quinn, Weeden, Manziel ) might as well try someone else's.. shakes head, but do think we ought to stay away from pick # 22

The Cleveland Browns - WE KNOW QUARTERBACKS ( Look at how many we've had ... )
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:
I have to say that if even half of what this guy says is true then we could be in for some real trouble.

WV...way over half of it is "true".

Quote:
- He basically called out Haslem as a meddler and the sole reason Johnny Manziel is a Brown.

For months I've been telling my fellow DTers that it was Haslam that made the decision to go after Manziel...JLC is just a bit slow figuring things out.

Quote:
He says Shannahan might be leaving and most won't try to get him to stay even if he takes a different OC job.

Shannahan may have been a little too outspoken for Haslam. Or, just maybe Shannahan was not overly impressive for Pettine. Not a surprise to me if he coaches with his dad again.

Quote:
-He says that Gordon and Manziel should be traded for anything they can get. He actually says they should trade Manziel "for a bag of footballs."

I can't say that I disagree with this. Problem is, Manziel is Haslam's boy and he isn't going anywhere.

When Gordon returned, it was clear that the level of his play declined..a lot of mental mistakes. Many of our fans were blaming Hoyer for all the Ints...Gordon was responsible for at least half of them.

I would not be surprised or shocked if Gordon's traded.

Quote:
Two different groups of football people have come in and Haslam still thinks he's the smartest in the room.

No doubt in my mind that Haslam sees himself as the man, making all the right calls for the Browns.

When Haslam bought the Browns I commented that these NFL franchises are simply another "toy" for the egomaniac billionaire owners to play with.

If Haslam wants to be a meddling owner, there is very little the fans can do about it.

I'm not sure if Haslam understands how seriously our fans take "Browns Football"...

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
D
Legend
Legend
D
Per request:

Shanahan will consider lateral move because of friction between coaches/front office

Quote:

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Browns offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan will consider leaving Cleveland -- even for a lateral move -- because of friction between some of the coaches and some in the front office, multiple league sources have told cleveland.com.

Shanahan will interview Thursday morning for the Bills head coaching vacancy, and it's his ultimate goal to become a head coach. But he also might have an opportunity to be reunited with his father Mike, which is enticing to him. Kyle worked under Mike for four seasons in Washington before they were let go after the 2013 season.

Three teams are interested in possibly hiring Mike Shanahan as head coach and Kyle as offensive coordinator, sources said. They are the 49ers, Raiders and Bills. Mike Shanahan has interviewed with those teams and will also interview with the Chicago Bears.

Kyle Shanahan was eager to strike out on his own again, but landed in a situation that has become dysfunctional for him, the sources said. The biggest problem, they say is that the personnel side and coaches aren't seeing eye to eye on some key issues. One source said some coaches became upset when a high-ranking personnel member texted from the press box to the sidelines about play calls.

The coaches also may have felt pressure to start Johnny Manziel in the biggest game of the season, with the playoffs on the line. No mandate was given from the front office, but some staffers felt that the higher-ups wanted to see what their No. 22 overall pick could do. Shanahan did his best to bring Manziel up to speed, but it was evident he wasn't ready to play when he started against the Bengals, and flopped miserably.

Now, it appears that general manager Ray Farmer is willing to give Manziel another shot next year, and not everyone in the building is in agreement that the former Heisman Trophy winner has what it takes to succeed. Browns coach Mike Pettine has said the quarterback situation is "muddy at best'' and that the Browns will leave no stone unturned in their bid to fix it.

Shanahan is receiving head coaching interest this year because of the job he did with an offense that had major issues. He lost all three of his Pro Bowlers for much of the season in center Alex Mack, receiver Josh Gordon and tight end Jordan Cameron.

Still, Shanahan helped the Browns climb to the top of the AFC North after their 24-3 rout of the Bengals. At one point, he had quarterback Brian Hoyer in the top 10, and the offense was ranked No. 14 overall as late as week 11.

"(Becoming a head coach) has always been my goal,'' Shanahan said in October. "About 95% of coaches, if you ask them, that's eventually their goal. Everyone wants to be at the top of their profession, and head coach is the top of our profession.''

The climate, however, is such that Shanahan might be willing to leave even if he doesn't get a head coaching job. What's more, he's excited about the idea of trying to win a Super Bowl with his father and finishing the job they started in Washington.

The Browns would have to let him out of his contract in order for him to make a lateral move. Not even the additional title of assistant head coach would enough for the Browns to have to let him go.

Shanahan, who's been an offensive coordinator for seven seasons, worked under Mike in Washington from 2010-2013, where the two led the Redskins' offense to a top 10 finish in 2013. Quarterback Robert Griffin III also enjoyed his finest season in Washington under the Shanahans and running back Alfred Morris rushed for more than 1,200 yards in each of his first two seasons.

Shanahan looked forward to stepping out his father's shadow in Cleveland and re-establishing himself as a top coordinator in his own right. But if Mike takes a head job and wants to hire Kyle, it's a good bet he'll ask the Browns to let him go.

At that point, they'd likely have no choice but to accommodate him, considering it's the top offensive position on the club. If he doesn't want to be here, the Browns are unlikely to force him to stay.

P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P

Legend
Legend
Jc

Are we ever gonna start an offseason without massive drama within the front office?

Just one year? Maybe? Or am I asking for too much?

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
V
Legend
Legend
V
Thanks for posting.

Man, this is so freaking depressing. We are so daggone dysfunctional.

I read all the replies on this thread and I have an additional take. I have no proof, but I get the feeling it is just not Haslam, but also Farmer, who is an issue.

I think the disconnect between Shanny and Farmer can be a real issue and it wouldn't surprise me at all if that is the case.

That is not saying that I don't agree w/you guys about Haslam, but I get the feeling that Farmer is an issue, as well.

I really like Pettine and Shanny. I wish they would stay. I believe in both of these guys. Doesn't look like it is going to happen.

Legend
Legend

Vers: This more than depressing because there is no way to resolve anything.

I have tried to convince myself that Haslam could not be that stupid. That even an ego maniac would not hire a guy in the profession of football to make personnel decisions and then force a decision on him.

Now after this season so much has come out from multiple "sources" that Haslam did just that.

Farmer has done nothing to clear that picture because of the contradictory comments he has made.

You want to see some continuity. You would like to see the same offense and defense for a few years.

Now Haslam is going to expect better results from a harder schedule and still now quarterback. It could get very ugly if they win 3-5 games next years.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Climate in Berea

Link Copied to Clipboard