Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#913041 01/08/15 01:08 PM
O
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
O
I like him.

I think he's smart enough to figure out how to use Manziel, and to hire the right QB coach.

For those who are weary of losing Shanahan because of ??? I think Trestman is certainly as knowledgeable, capable, and intelligent as Shanahan.

I also think he's smart enough to know what scheme, system, philosophy will work with Manziel.

He also appears to be a lot more level headed and mature than Shanahan.

I hope we at least contact him ASAP.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Mark Trestman was here years ago when BK was the qb and if I remember right Bernie thought a lot of him for what its worth. I think BK should have some input on who we hire, he does know offense.

N
Legend
Legend
N
if you cannot devise a good offense with Marshall, Jeffrey, and Forte, then I don't want to see what happens when you are given Hawkins, Gabriel, and Crowell (assuming Gordon gets traded this offseason).

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: no_logo_required
if you cannot devise a good offense with Marshall, Jeffrey, and Forte

You have a terrible OLine and your QB is Jay Cutler.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Legend
Legend
I'm perfectly fine with us contacting anyone and everyone that has talent for the position, but I'm not sure anyone can put together an NFL system that will work with Manziel.

Yeah, that's kinda snarky of me, but I also fully believe it to be truth.
Just as I never believed that Jamarcus Russel, Vince Young, and Tim Tebow were actual NFL-quality QB's, I don't see Manziel as one, either.

I'd take Colt McCoy back before choosing to roll with Manziel.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

ThatGuy #913049 01/08/15 01:17 PM
N
Legend
Legend
N
Originally Posted By: ThatGuy

better OL here, but, sadly, worse QB play too

#gmstrong
P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
No thank you to Trestman, and we certainly shouldn't base any coaching or personnel decisions with Manziel in mind.

M
Legend
Legend
M
The twitter is reporting rumors that we have an interest in him. That, and his signing will shut up Bernie for awhile.

Tackles are tackles.
S
All Pro
All Pro
S
if you cannot devise a good offense with Marshall, Jeffrey, and Forte, then I don't want to see what happens when you are given Hawkins, Gabriel, and Crowell (assuming Gordon gets traded this offseason).

Really? So it's his fault Cutler is Jekyl and Hyde? And that their offensive line wasn't that good? If your offensive line is terrible, it doesn't matter how well you scheme since the chance of success is low.

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Pettine/Farmer are wanting a run scheme offense. I don't think Marc Trstman fits.

E
Legend
Legend
E
People in general don't like to go backwards in their career. What was he our QB Coach like 30 years ago? 25? Nobody wishes to go backwards in time at least not with the same (although different) organization.

jmho

Young up and comer??? Not your usual suspects. As long as its not a HS buddy of Pettine... wink

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend
Oh please Lord, not Trestman.

He did his best to end Bernie's career by getting him beat around in the pocket like a pinata. He insisted on sending everyone out on routes on every down, even when the OL had trouble blocking with help. I think that he would have had only a 3 man OL if he would have been allowed to do so.

I want no part of him.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
ThatGuy #913072 01/08/15 01:46 PM
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Originally Posted By: ThatGuy

shocked

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c

I fully expect the Browns to hire someone that is currently out of work and looking to get back in the NFL or an offensive position coach. I can't think of many established coaches looking to come to a situation where it may be only a one year gig. Sure their contracts are guaranteed, but who wants to keep uprooting their family.

As of right now, and looking at next year's schedule, I fully expect a 4-12 season, Pettine fired, rinse, wash, repeat.

Another thing to note, is that the Browns will be competing with the rest of teams hiring HC's who will be looking to fill an OC role as well.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Trestman is one of my least favorite coaches of all time. He is a finesse coach and his teams are soft. He had great talent that overcame his inadequacies in Cleveland and coached a team that was already established.

He failed in other NFL venues and his lack of success in Chicago is mind-boggling. That team had great talent and they regressed. He sucks!

Milk Man #913249 01/08/15 09:12 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
If I was in a war I sure wouldn't want to follow you (Milk Man) into battle, we would be dead before we started tsktsk rolleyes

Last edited by PastorMarc; 01/08/15 09:13 PM.

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
V
Legend
Legend
V
I would follow him before I would follow the "Let's charge in there" folks. Custer comes to mind.

M
Legend
Legend
M
No worries Pastor, but I wouldn't want to follow the guys that have been getting slaughtered for the past 15 years either. I was trying to steer us out of cannon fire knowing what likely lies ahead. tongue

P
Legend
Legend
P
Nothing Personal Brother Just Tired Of Hearing Negativity superconfused

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
V
Legend
Legend
V
Then why root for the Browns? tongue

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater

Every day of the week and twice on Sunday. Hell I'd take Brady freaking Quinn over Manziel.

[Linked Image]

Fear us, for we are the BROWNS, led by the mighty BM! Only in Cleveland.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Would Love Trestman as our new OC ... thumbsup

V
Legend
Legend
V
Explain why?

Cutler, Marshall, Jeffries, Bennett, and Forte vs what we have? rofl

He couldn't win w/all that talent. They sucked butt on offense this year.

And you think he can win w/the trash we have?

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Explain why?

Cutler, Marshall, Jeffries, Bennett, and Forte vs what we have? rofl

He couldn't win w/all that talent. They sucked butt on offense this year.

And you think he can win w/the trash we have?

Trestman gets QBs destroyed. If a team had All Pros at every position on their OL, then maybe they can successfully run his schemes. Anything less and he'll get the QB mangled.
No thanks.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

Legend
Legend
So he's the Canadian version of Norv Turner?

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
ThatGuy #913301 01/08/15 10:32 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
He coached at the U and had several stops in the NFL.

It got progressively worse and he eventually was forced to have to find a job in the CFL. He had success there and Chicago took a shot. There was some talk from media types about him coming here and some fans were good w/that because of the Bernie connection, but I always thought the guy was awful and was so happy we did not hire him.

Last edited by Versatile Dog; 01/08/15 10:33 PM.
Milk Man #913309 01/08/15 10:47 PM
M
Rookie
Rookie
M
Y
Originally Posted By: Milk Man
j/c

I fully expect the Browns to hire someone that is currently out of work and looking to get back in the NFL or an offensive position coach.

Please tell me Mike Holmgren is NOT interested in the position.

matt01 #913311 01/08/15 10:50 PM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: matt01
Y
Originally Posted By: Milk Man
j/c

I fully expect the Browns to hire someone that is currently out of work and looking to get back in the NFL or an offensive position coach.

Please tell me Mike Holmgren is NOT interested in the position.

I hear Philly, Indy, and SF have some up and coming offensive assistants that people are looking at naughtydevil

..Ok.. Ok.. I'm ganna ruin my own joke because I can't stop laughing at the idea of Offensive Coordinator Eric Mangini rofl

ThatGuy #913313 01/08/15 10:55 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
Hilarious. superconfused

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Not interested.

I would rather promote a coach already on staff to the OC spot to try and retain some continuity with the system we're already running.

4th offensive system in 4 years? What a crock...

"You can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave"
MrKelso #913389 01/09/15 11:13 AM
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Originally Posted By: MrKelso
Not interested.

I would rather promote a coach already on staff to the OC spot to try and retain some continuity with the system we're already running.

4th offensive system in 4 years? What a crock...

Yep....so much for continuity and stability. Welcome to the Browns Haslam....we ain't the Steelers. Guess you figured that out by now.....oh wait, that would require brains. Money can't solve these kinds of problems. You're killin me! 😩

#gmstrong
Cjrae #913410 01/09/15 12:30 PM
Legend
Legend
On the other hand ....... (and just for a different viewpoint)

We hardly ran last year's offense to perfection, and we don't have a QB who is invested heavily in that system. Because of that, it really doesn't matter that much what system we run. Manziel would have to learn the offense. Maybe we install a system with less verbiage, that is easier for him to adapt to?

Just a thought.

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan

We hardly ran last year's offense to perfection, and we don't have a QB who is invested heavily in that system. Because of that, it really doesn't matter that much what system we run. Manziel would have to learn the offense. Maybe we install a system with less verbiage, that is easier for him to adapt to?

Just a thought.

Operative words: "Manziel would have to learn the offense." First he needs to demonstrate a willingness and aptitude to do so. First round pick or not,.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Homewood Dog
Mark Trestman was here years ago when BK was the qb and if I remember right Bernie thought a lot of him for what its worth. I think BK should have some input on who we hire, he does know offense.

I'd love for BK to have a say in things, but aren't he and the Browns a bit on the outs right now?

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Damanshot #913421 01/09/15 12:58 PM
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Originally Posted By: Damanshot
Originally Posted By: Homewood Dog

I'd love for BK to have a say in things, but aren't he and the Browns a bit on the outs right now?

One would think given his commentary of recent weeks. Drennan says that Kosar is not interested in coaching.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
I'm perfectly fine with us contacting anyone and everyone that has talent for the position, but I'm not sure anyone can put together an NFL system that will work with Manziel.

Yeah, that's kinda snarky of me, but I also fully believe it to be truth.
Just as I never believed that Jamarcus Russel, Vince Young, and Tim Tebow were actual NFL-quality QB's, I don't see Manziel as one, either.

Snarky or not, it may well be true. I'm not sure what happened with Manziel. I hoped he'd be a good QB for years to come. I wasn't convinced when we drafted him and I've seen nothing to make me believe he'll ever be "THAT GUY".

We are however stuck with him for a while. I'd think at least one more season.

As for McCoy, I liked him but I doubt he's the answer..But yeah, at this point, he's better than Manziel. And a way better human being.

I'm still waiting for someone to give me a better option than Hoyer.....

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Cjrae #913428 01/09/15 01:11 PM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Cjrae
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan

Just a thought.

Operative words: "Manziel would have to learn the offense." First he needs to demonstrate a willingness and aptitude to do so. First round pick or not,.

Granted. However, maybe a different offense would be easier for him to handle. That's all I'm saying. Shanahan's offense has a ton of verbiage for a QB to learn. An offense with an easier structure might be easier for a QB like Manziel, who has never had an intricate playbook in the past.

E
Legend
Legend
E
To All.

Is SNARKY a Cleveland/North Ohio term. I never heard of it till I was called that on this board. lol laugh

Definitely not used here in NY. We use about 7 Ethnic terms that are a little harsher then Snarky wink

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
O
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
O
Ironic

We have guys who support a coordinator who ran so many multiple schemes that didn't in anyway mesh together, make sense, or allow us to reach a level higher than 27th in the NFL in scoring, but hammers a guy who has a bad year (his first year showed a lot of promise) when he is acting as the Head Coach and Offensive Play Caller, with a team filled, and quarterbacked by head cases.

Offense is about creating rhythm. If Trestman is a "quarterback killer" Shanahan is a rhythm killer. He,he...

I can't evaluate Trestman's current potential as an Offensive Coordinator based on trying to juggle all the duties he had in his last job.

Seems like he is an advanced offensive mind.

He didn't get Cutler killed. Seems like he did a decent job of protecting him in spite of a weak offensive line.

Guess because "he destroyed Bernie" although Bernie respects him and was successful under him, there isn't anyway he could have learned from his mistakes, and evolved, over the past 30 years.

eotab #913437 01/09/15 01:24 PM
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Originally Posted By: eotab
To All.

Is SNARKY a Cleveland/North Ohio term. I never heard of it till I was called that on this board. lol laugh

Definitely not used here in NY. We use about 7 Ethnic terms that are a little harsher then Snarky wink

Snarky is a common English word.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Marc Trestman

Link Copied to Clipboard