Print Thread
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer

Dick LeBeau not returning to the Steelers
Posted by Mike Florio on January 10, 2015, 4:56 PM EST
LeBeau Getty Images

An era has ended for the Steelers.

According to multiple reports, defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau will not return to the team in 2015.

Per Dulac, it’s being described as a mutual parting. But it’s unclear whether the decision was truly mutual; three years ago, the Steelers claimed that former offensive coordinator Bruce Arians had retired. He resurfaced in Indianapolis in 2012, and Arians was named coach of the year for his work while head coach Chuck Pagano was receiving leukemia treatment.

“Time to go in a different direction,” LeBeau told Gerry Dulac of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

LeBeau, 77, also told the Urbana (Ohio) Daily Citizen that the Hall of Famer is not retiring, and that he actually is resigning.

“I’m resigning this position, not retiring,” LeBeau said told the Daily Citizen. “I had a great run in Pittsburgh. I’m grateful for all the things that have happened to me and thankful for all the support I had in Pittsburgh. . . . It’s just time to make a break.

LeBeau, who coached the Bengals from 2000 through 2002, served as defensive coordinator in Pittsburgh from 1995 to 1996 and from 2004 until 2014. Coach Mike Tomlin, who earned his current job by working as a defense coordinator in the 4-3/Tampa Two defense, retained LeBeau and the 3-4 defense when Tomlin was hired in 2007.

For the Steelers, the question becomes whether the defense will switch to a 4-3. For LeBeau, the question becomes whether another team will hire him to run the defense.
PFT

Legend
Legend
Good. I hate everything about the steelers.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
C
Legend
Legend
C
At this point I'd rather have him stay. If this was ten years ago I would excited.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Wow. That's unexpected. Former Buckeye, maybe he wants to come home to Ohio.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
C
Legend
Legend
C
Hopefully not to us. If a coach can be washed up, Lebeau is. I might like him as some sort of "senior advisor." But nothing big.

Practice Squad
Practice Squad
Anything negative against the Steelers, is a great thing

We are terrible
C
Legend
Legend
C
Is this negative? The Steelers defense wasn't good this year at all.

P
Legend
Legend
P
He is 77 Years old, it is time to spend his life with his family superconfused

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Is this negative? The Steelers defense wasn't good this year at all.

Neither was the talent. I think Dick simply didn't want to deal with rebuilding. His dynasty has come to an end. It is time to step aside.

As much as I dislike he did one hell of a job.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: Swish
Good. I hate everything about the steelers.

Lol, I hear this!

I figured he'd retire there, not resign from there... but hey, I wouldn't wanna retire from the Steelers eithers! thumbsup

C
Legend
Legend
C
I wouldn't be shocked to see Lebeau end up in Arizona if Bowles gets a head coaching job.

L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
This is great news. Steeler fans love Dick and Im glad they are losing a HOFer.

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty, than those attending too small a degree of it."- Thomas Jefferson on Freedom of Speech
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Lol Browns will get Dick Lebeau..and hire him as our OC! Lol

S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
Sigh... Goodbye Coach Dad. Thanks for all you did for the Steelers. You will be missed. frown

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: legalizewd
Steeler fans love Dick

Quoted for truth.

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
I heard he retired, but it sounds more like he was forced out.

The game has not passed him by. The Steelers went to the playoffs while the Browns sat at home watching them and the other teams in the playoffs. The Steelers don't have a ton of talent on defense and I think LeBeau got a lot out of what he had to work with.

Pretty crappy move by the Steelers.

K
All Pro
All Pro
K
i don't know if he was forced out but it seems they are going in a different direction..........

LeBeau resigns as Steelers' defensive coordinator; not retiring
Jan
1/10/2015 11:48:49 PM

The Steelers and longtime defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau have mutually agreed to part ways, the first but most significant step as the team prepares to move forward with younger players and, apparently, a fresh approach, Gerry Dulac of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports.

LeBeau, one of the most revered defensive coordinators in the National Football League who is regarded as the architect of the zone blitz that is copied by many other teams, agreed to resign after meetings over several days with Coach Mike Tomlin.

“I’m resigning, I’m not retiring,” Mr. LeBeau said Saturday in a phone interview with the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. “It was a lot of great days, a lot of great years. It’s time to go in a different direction.” He broke the news in the Urbana Daily Citizen, a newspaper near his hometown of London, Ohio.

tradition can only carry you so far, then you have to start winning again.
S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
I heard he retired, but it sounds more like he was forced out.

The game has not passed him by. The Steelers went to the playoffs while the Browns sat at home watching them and the other teams in the playoffs. The Steelers don't have a ton of talent on defense and I think LeBeau got a lot out of what he had to work with.

Pretty crappy move by the Steelers.

I completely agree with this. He's probably going to Steelers West (Arizona Cardinals) and will do very well there.

#gmstrong
S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
LeBeau's stats over his most recent tenure in Pittsburgh, 2004-2014 seasons

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/nfl...eelers-rankings

Unbelievably good, except for the last 2 years. I think most of the reason for this is poor drafting on D for the Steelers. However, a part of it is that LeBeau's defense was very hard to learn, and by the time lower round draft choices picked it up, some of them left in free agency.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Casey Hampton or lack there of imho is the reason for their struggles defensively. The Steelers just hasnt found anyone that can be that bolder in the middle to force everything to the outside backer.

I am a big admirer of Lebeau. I thought he did more with less than maybe any DC I have ever seen on the defensive side of the ball.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
He's a master teacher and a wizard at getting his players to play for him, and maximizing their abilities to play within his system.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
All Pro
All Pro
The Steelers have been to 8 Super Bowls...Coach was the DC for 4 of them...winning 2. Gonna miss you Coach.

HACK

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
oh no, you di'in't....

rofl

"too many notes, not enough music-"
C
Legend
Legend
C
He didn't retire, he made that clear. He was on a year-to-year coach. Like I said before, I see him ending up in Arizona in some capacity when Bowles gets a head job.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Riddler - I wondered if someone was going to go there ...

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
E
Legend
Legend
E
Maybe rejoining Arians another forced out by the Steelers.

Or I could see him take one more shot at being a HC to fulfill a negative in his career. We'll see if he throws his hat in the ring for the Falcons job.

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: eotab
Maybe rejoining Arians another forced out by the Steelers.

Or I could see him take one more shot at being a HC to fulfill a negative in his career. We'll see if he throws his hat in the ring for the Falcons job.

jmho

I mean, I guess that's what 80-year old people do, right? Move to Phoenix?

Tackles are tackles.
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Dick Lebeau Leaving the Steelers!

Link Copied to Clipboard