Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
O
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
O
Yesterday's game brought to mind that I don't think Joe Buck is good enough to be a low end play by play guy, let alone have top billing for FOX. I'm not a hater, I just think he operates at a very low level. Fox's number two team with John Lynch doing the analysis is much better and easier to listen to. Aikman is good, but Buck is way out of his element.

Right behind Buck is College Football's Chris Fowler. I'm not a Musberger fan, but he could be suffering from dementia and still call a better game than Fowler.

Legend
Legend
My favorite announcers for all sports:

Al Michaels
Jay Bilas
Bob Knight
Joe Buck
Kirk Herbstreit
Jim Nantz

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
1) Brady Quinn. My goodness he is terrible.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: clevesteve

He was a much better announcer in college

Legend
Legend
I've never been a fan of Buck for football, I think he's solid for baseball..

At one point yesterday Dallas ran the ball.. and just listenng to Joe Buck start yelling right away sounded silly..

"Romo HANDS OFF TO DEMARCO MURRAY.. and he gets 3 yards.."

Plus I've always disliked him since Randy Moss pretended to moon Packers fans and he called it a "disgusting act" he just sounds dumb..

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
S
Rookie
Rookie
S
no love for hating Phil Simms?

Theres twitter accounts dedicated to his horribleness. #talkedabout
#contradicting

...Coming Soon
O
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
O
Yea, I have a hard time listening to Simms without turning the sound off.

Even my wife says Buck does a good job with Baseball. But, that's not the point. His level is so, soooo low for football its hard to believe. How could he be doing this for so many years and still sound like a freshman in a college broadcasting class?

Most people in TV and Radio improve over the course of time. Buck, Fowler... not so much.

Barry Bonds Check
Roger Clemens Check
Mark McGuire Check
Lance Armstrong Check

71-79 Steelers Taboo
(Lets pretend it didn't happen.)
C
Legend
Legend
C
I like Ian Eagle and Dan Fouts. Also, Kevin Burkhardt and John Lynch.

Phil Simms literally doesn't know what he is talking about most of the time.

O
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
O
Originally Posted By: ExclDawg
Originally Posted By: clevesteve

He was a much better announcer in college

He he...

That is definitely one thing about the ol days. Keith Jackson, Gowdy, Endberg, Charlie Jones, Summerall, all those guys were artists at their craft. (I know I'm missing quite a few.)

Legend
Legend
Quote:
I like Ian Eagle and Dan Fouts

Ian has improved greatly over the years. I used to HATE him when he was teamed up with Solomon Wilcotts during the Crennel/Mangini days.

Interesting- now that's he's gotten better, we don't hear him announcing Browns games nearly as often. Guess the team has to get better for us to actually have a reunion....

"too many notes, not enough music-"

#GMStong
C
Legend
Legend
C
Eagle and Fouts are CBS' #2 announcing team. Eagle also does Brooklyn Nets games and is very good.

Legend
Legend
Quote:
That is definitely one thing about the ol days. Keith Jackson, Gowdy, Endberg, Charlie Jones, Summerall, all those guys were artists at their craft.

quoted for thruth.

thumbsup

"too many notes, not enough music-"

#GMStong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: ThatGuy
Plus I've always disliked him since Randy Moss pretended to moon Packers fans and he called it a "disgusting act" he just sounds dumb..

That was easily the most idiotic statement in sports television history. Moss faked mooned some fans after they've been mooning his team for real for years. Moron.

I thought it was awesome.

As for announcers, the last group I really couldn't listen to was Madden and Summeral, when it was near the end for them. It was painful to listen to Pat struggle to describe the action and Madden would use his patented cliches when they didn't fit.

Last edited by Punchsmack; 01/12/15 08:22 PM.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Joe Buck and Chris Collingsworth are the 2 I can't stand the most. Throw Aikman and Michaels in there too. Al Michaels should have retired 15-20 years ago.

The only commentators I like are Brad Nestler, Todd Blackledge and Kirk Herbstreit.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Collingsworth
Buck

Both Suck

Wilcotts drives nuts with his "set the edge" comment at least 15 a game.

Ray Ray ( I know he is not announcer) always leave me asking "what did he just say?"

#gmstrong

A smart person knows what to say.

A wise person knows whether or not to say it.
N
Legend
Legend
N
Let's turn this on it's head.

I miss Keith Jackson. Anytime a big college football game is on tap, I miss the fact that we won't be hearing his voice announce the game.

I also find it hilarious recalling how the Southern man became most known for announcing the Rose Bowl between Northern and Western teams.

#gmstrong
O
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
O
Originally Posted By: SuperBrown

The only commentators I like are Brad Nestler, Todd Blackledge and Kirk Herbstreit.

Ditto, ditto and ditto

D
Legend
Legend
D
You guys need to try the Mute button. Its like being at the game, deaf, and with pretty bad seats, but still better than listening to some of these yammering stooges. Plus, you're warm, with a fridge and toity nearby. You can always use closed caption or turn the sound up when something happens that you don't understand.

C
Legend
Legend
C
The mute button is mandatory when watching baseball. Sutcliffe, Reynolds, Verducci, Kruk, etc. all are horrible. They literally cite things that shouldn't be talked about during a baseball broadcast because they are so archaic.

Legend
Legend
Blackledge and Nessler are the best announcing team in sports, IMO. Herbstreit is very good, too, but I don't get to listen to him much since I absolutely refuse to listen to Musberger. Every play that just happened is the best play in the history of sports to ol' Brent (and I hate that he calls players by their first name).

I don't mind Tirico on MNF, but Gruden gets on my nerves. I've always liked Al Michaels.

But, I mute every game I watch unless it's Blackledge/Nessler.

OSU vs. Oregon right now: muted.

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
S
Legend
Legend
S
Are we talking PBP guys or including commentators?

I will never understand how the NFL is a multi billion dollar sports league, yet they house the worst tv announcers I've ever seen...

Can you name a good guy, outside of Michaels? Tirico is ESPN's top guy He's awful. Nantz is ok, but he's not an A-team level guy. Joe Buck is awful, but not bad for baseball. Then you get down to the lower tiered guys and it's worse... The only NFL guy I really like is Harlan.

Meanwhile college football has Brent, Verne, Nessler, Gus... Even Fowler isn't bad.

My top 5 worst.

1. Tirico
2. Beth Mowins
3. Ian Eagle
4. Underwood
5. Joe Buck doing NFL

My top 5 favorite

1. Lundquist
2. Nessler
3. Emrick (NHL/NBC)
4. Musberger
5. Harlan

P
2nd String
2nd String
P
Ah, these names of artiseans of their craft,let's not forget our own Ken Coleman (Casey's dad),Gib Shannley,Jim Mueller,Nev Chandler,Doug Dieken for FB,Jimmy Dudley,Herb Score,Mike Hegan,Harry Jones,Tom Hamilton on BB and Joe Tait doing the Cavs. Network:Harry Carey,Vin Sculley,Jim McKay,Howard Cosell. Announcers couldn't handle were and still Don Trumpy and Chris Collinsworth.

I bleed Seal Brown,Burnt Oranage and White w/Chrome. It's a proud honored birthright and family tradition.
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
I want Bill Walton to call a football game.

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Current List: Worst Announcers in Football

Link Copied to Clipboard