Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
Legend
Legend

If the Browns have a shot at Mariota and pass on it; It will fall right along with all the other colossal blunders they have made especially at quarterback.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: bonefish

If the Browns have a shot at Mariota and pass on it; It will fall right along with all the other colossal blunders they have made especially at quarterback.

I really think that the Browns have to make a move for Winston or Mariota, if they can. I doubt that they will be able to. I look at the top of the draft and there is a lot if QB desperation on most of those teams.

1) Bucs: They desperately need a QB. They don't seem to like Glennon, and McCown flopped, so how do they pass on one here?

2) Titans: They have Mettenberger .... but even though he was "OK" in limited duty, if you have a chance to grab a franchise level guy, you do so. I have a hard time seeing Whisenhunt passing on a guy like Winston, if he falls, with his experience in a pro style passing attack, and his prototypical size and talents.

3) Jags: If we want to trade up, this is the most likely spot to do so. (obviously, if a QB drops)

4) Raiders: This is the 2nd possibility, if a QB drops, and the Jags pass on a trade.

5) Redskins: I could easily see them taking a QB and then shopping RG3. Too much venom from coach to player to see them passing on a legitimate option.

6) Jets: If a QB drops, he goes here. Smith is not the answer.

7) It's pure luck if either guy drops to this point.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
The only QB I'd consider moving up for would be Winston. Because I think he has the overall talent to come in and play right away. Ball control offense, etc.

The only way I see that is if he drops passed the Jets at 6.

Regardless I'd rather use other picks to move 12 up than package both 12 and 19.. I want to come out of this with two 1st rounders.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Swish #916227 01/15/15 06:50 PM
C
Legend
Legend
C
Now that Cardale Jones went back to school can we trade our two first round picks for Troy Smith?

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: ThatGuy
The only QB I'd consider moving up for would be Winston. Because I think he has the overall talent to come in and play right away. Ball control offense, etc.

The only way I see that is if he drops passed the Jets at 6.

Regardless I'd rather use other picks to move 12 up than package both 12 and 19.. I want to come out of this with two 1st rounders.

It will cost us both 1st round picks to move up to anywhere in the top 10. We picked up an extra 1 and 4 for dropping from 4 to 9, while still staying in the top 10.

The Jags are really in prime position right now, if one of the top 2 teams passes on a QB. If we target 1 or 2, then we will have to pay an RG3 level bounty for those pick. It probably won't be much less than that for #3. I suppose, though, that it depends on how teams start to see these 2 QB after the combine.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

Legend
Legend
I hope Winston steals something else completely useless within the next few months.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Swish #916253 01/15/15 07:33 PM
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Originally Posted By: Swish
Originally Posted By: anarchy2day
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
Isn't he the kid who someone said they wouldn't draft before the fourth round on here?

I would have drafted him before the 5th round and I don't see what everyone else seems to be seeing.

Derek Carr was better than Bridgewater and with Del Rio now in Oakland, he'll have a better coach too.

STILL on that?

bridgewater, so far, is beyond better than carr.

I mean to say that I wouldn't have drafted him (Bridgewater) before the 5th round.

Am I still on that? Absolutely!

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
I find it humorous that some think that Jameis Winston has probably moved over him. He looked even worse in the loss to Mariota and the Ducks than Mariota looked in the loss to the Buckeyes. In my estimation, both have lost, Winston more than Mariota.

I've read the opposite in some places. People saying that it was clear that Winston can run a pro offense after watching that game.

I've heard the same things. I would refer to those people espousing that as fools, and blind fools at that.

eotab #916430 01/16/15 01:49 AM
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Originally Posted By: eotab
Razor...I forget more n more...good thing my age has me learning more than I forget...lol But I am pretty sure remember you not liking Shanny due to the One and Done scenario he would bring as OC. I was hoping for a 2nd season but too many opportunities out there for him. In lieu of that I am sure Shanny was all about 2014 and nothing LONG TERM. I actually understand that and really don't hate him for it. As a fan I do hate the fact that he didn't join us for Good of the Browns as a team. But just for himself.

Drafting a QB and forming him into what we want. Unlike you I think that is what has to happen within certain parameters.

1. Most QBs, Mariota included just run offenses that we would not run in the NFL. I think Quick Tempo will be the new trend this year. I think the spread w/read option or pistol with minimal protection will slowly ride into the sunset as a base offense. You have even the big QBs like Cam getting hurt, It can go over in college but not in the NFL where the biggest fastest most explosive Defenders play. And there are amazing defensive minds all over the NFL - They have broken the code already as I think only Wilson has been effective. The smallest of the bunch.

As for molding Manziel. If we didn't think he was coach able we wouldn't have taken him. He can thrive in the pocket with the notion/game plan that we can move that pocket. We have to hone those skills, footwork, technique. There is no Square hole round peg thing here. These QBs are all coming to the NFL with that background. Just a few like LUCK and Bridgewater and now Winston - btw maybe why I like Cook a lot from Mich St.

Manziel btw is a magician with play action. That is how you get buy with a small QB like him. Yes you teach him discretion, recognition and safety when its time to evade and make something out of nothing. That is natural and cannot be taught - but we can corral it and make it work and survive in the NFL.

But the presumption that Manziel has to run what he did in college just is wrong. And so many Analyst were also wrong in presuming that is WHO Manziel is. His offense was nothing no even High School level. So he has to learn new anyways. College season one to College season two. Manziel on his own (private trainer) worked on his Pocket skills and it showed. Until coming to us he never had proper coaching!

As he learns, as he EVOLVES yes the OC should accentuate the skills he best provides. NOT COMING INTO THE NFL but what he becomes under NFL training and development. Its the reason why our coaching staff wanted him to sit a year. Razor, this is a new era of QBs. Their system will not be adopted cause frankly they will become RB levels of survivor, 5 6 years of use then broken down. Why Mariota is talked about sitting a year and yet I think most on this board think he's a #1 or #2 overall pick.

These QBs will have to be NFL trained. Manziel included. So yes extending their college Offense is not the way to go. I like Manziel cause he is smart, football intelligent, he can learn and yes, I do think a lot of 2014 was wasted.

The other thing I would like to add.

NOBODY will put their eggs or be considered as this is their Career type move in getting a QB at overall 20 or later. It simply is an investment into the future. So I sort of cringe when I read posters suggesting that this is Farmer's signature move. No, if he sells the Farm to move up into the top 5 overall pick (not trade back) to get HIS GUY. That my fellow dawgs is a signature move putting his eggs n reputation on the line.

Taking a 2nd pick of your draft and after top 20 this is not the Big Big investment that you are hit or miss in a career reputation. Not for QB position.

Btw...lets not do that again. BQ, Weeden and Manziel all were our 2nd picks in the draft. After 20 overall - These are best of the "REST" type of investments.

If we take a QB again as our SAVIOR...I do not wish repeating this process. Use the two picks to move up even more and get THE GUY in the draft!

I have hope in Manziel being the right one only because of his lack of size and NFL snobbery on under 6' QBs that maybe he will make it. But I got that baseball mentality background. This is our Third Strike...It doesn't come through we are OUT with this investment mentality!

jmho

Good post mate.

I am not referring to using whatever system the QB used in college though. What I mean to say is you identify what your QB does well then find teammates that amplify those strengths and then you design a playbook that uses what he does best. I would have about 9 running plays and 11 passing plays that first season. I'd make them practice them till they knew them in their sleep. As the season goes on you add some variances on those 20 plays. Next season you add 20 more to that core playbook then slowly add variances. BTW you teach your QB how to change the plays to use those variances to change the play called.

By the third season your QB is seasoned and your offense is clicking and you can do whatever you want. That is, so long as, your QB can handle it.

You can't fix stupid but you can destroy ignorance. When you destroy ignorance you remove the justifications for evil. If you want to destroy evil then educate our people. Hate is a tool of the stupid to deal with what they can't understand.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Swish
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
Isn't he the kid who someone said they wouldn't draft before the fourth round on here?

I would have drafted him before the 5th round and I don't see what everyone else seems to be seeing.

Derek Carr was better than Bridgewater and with Del Rio now in Oakland, he'll have a better coach too.

STILL on that?

bridgewater, so far, is beyond better than carr.

I mean to say that I wouldn't have drafted him (Bridgewater) before the 5th round.

Am I still on that? Absolutely!

The knock on Bridgewater was his (small) hands. The Vikings playing in Green Bay in January...now that would be the ultimate test to validate his draft position.

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The only QB I'd consider moving up for would be ...

...nobody! Not unless there was an Andrew Luck to be had...which there isn't this year, or next year for that matter.

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: bbrowns32

...nobody! Not unless there was an Andrew Luck to be had...which there isn't this year, or next year for that matter.

The thing is, there is almost never an Andrew Luck to be had. How often does a Luck come out? When a Luck does come out, how often does the team picking #1 not need a QB? I mean heck, the team that got the "Luck prospect" last time had Peyton freaking Manning at QB and cut him to draft Luck. Is that level of prospect/luck really what we're holding out hope for? It could be 100 years before the stars align like that for us.

Barring a crazy run of luck (no pun intended), we're going to be looking at trading for prospects a notch below. That's why a prospect like Mariota is perfect to target: he's not as polished as Luck and comes from a spread system vs. pro style so he can be had... but he has the physical ability, football mind and personality to become a great QB.

At this point, after 15 years of horrendous QB play, I'm OK with burning through assets every year until we find the right guy. If this year, that means dealing multiple 1sts for Mariota, I'm all aboard. Until we fix QB, it doesn't matter how many stud 1st rounders we have because like Thomas and Haden so far, they'll all go to waste.

We're... we're good?
C
Legend
Legend
C
The knock on Bridgewater was more than just his small hands. It was his body and arm strength as well.

Legend
Legend
The knock on Bridgewater was more than just his small hands. It was his body and arm strength as well.

He threw a ton of short passes last year, but he was effective doing so. He only completed 2 passes of 31 or more yards. (in the air) That was 2 out of 22 attempts. That really was the only weak part of his game.

Kind of weird to see Norv Turner run a controlled passing game. It was effective though.

The thing that helped the Vikings as much as anything, though, was that they allowed 137 fewer points on defense this year compared to last. That was good for 11th in points allowed. (they were 20th in points scored) I would also add that Bridgewater definitely had a major problem when the superstar RB expected to be the focal point of the offense was unable to play because of his legal problems. That makes what Bridgewater's work more impressive.

I think that he shows that a QB who played in a pro stye offense in college can be an effective starter, even if he might never be a superstar.

If I am the Browns, I am looking for a college QB with decent physical traits, and who played in a pro style offense to develop behind Manziel and the veteran we bring in. Maybe not a Ken Dorsey, but a couple of steps above. Maybe we can develop a guy like that. He would already have a good part of the mental side down. Sure he might be Brady Quinn, but I am not talking about spending a 1st round pick on such a guy.

C
Legend
Legend
C
What you just said perfectly describes Sean Mannion.

Legend
Legend

There you go. He looks like an interesting guy. I was not really familiar with him, but based off of his draft report, these are the highlights.

Mannion is a 4 year starter, and had a great season in 2012-13 he is rated as a 5-6 round pick. He has NFL size. He is not mobile, but he has run a pro style offense, and has a lot of the physical aspects a successful NFL QB should have. He can't run, but if he can learn to move effectively in the pocket, and get the ball out quickly, that won't be as big a concern.

N
Legend
Legend
N

umm...or Connor Shaw

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: no_logo_required

umm...or Connor Shaw

Connor Shaw did not run a pro style offense in college, and is a small QB with a sub par arm. How does that fit what I originally proposed?

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: bbrowns32

If Jameis Winston was James Winston from Podunk, Iowa.. and never had any problems in his life.. he'd be possibly at or at least the closest you'll get to Andrew Luck..

Winston has all the talent to be a great NFL QB. And comes from a system that showed it.

Hes just kind of a douche. Which is the only reason Mariotta is ahead of him.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I knew a kid from Podunk Iowa who was always in trouble and had a bad attitude. I don't really believe geography plays a part.

naughtydevil

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

First off let's make one thing clear:
You evaluate the player and the person, not the school and the system run.

If a player is going to be a great NFL player the school he came from will quickly melt into the past. After 2 years in the NFL it will not matter at all.

What will matter is his skill and determination.

Sure if you come from a college that plays a pro style system it will help some. However, all new players will have to learn a new system and language. And most importantly for quarterbacks they will have to learn NFL defenses.

Nothing in college will prepare them for that.

Marcus Mariota will become a great NFL quarterback because he has the skills, size, toughness, intelligence, and most importantly the drive to be great.

He will learn the NFL game because he will work his tail off to do so.

But like all young players it will not happen overnight. He will need game experience and time. He will make mistakes and learn from them.

The team that he goes too will have to have patience and good coaching. Coaches who know how to develop young quarterbacks.

Oh, the Browns had a guy a like that Norv Turner. But of course he got run off by Haslam when he fired Chud.

Now the Browns have to find a guy that can work for the Browns organization. Hopefully Pettine will hire the guy and protect him from upper management and give him the freedom to do his job.

Farmer has taken unbending positions in the past. He would not listen to his coaches when they felt the need to draft receivers. He believes they are not that important and you can make do with just guys you can get. He also does not believe you need elite quarterbacks.(Wonder if he is paying attention to the playoffs.)

So I don't have to much faith in Farmer. He has stated now numerous times that Manziel was his pick. And that Manziel can be a solid starter in the NFL and that is all you need.

Of course then he said he would not hesitate to draft another quarterback in the first round.

If somehow, maybe by divine intervention he got Mariota then I would forgive his past failures and stubbornness.

Legend
Legend
Just because Mariotta is a great kid and will try his best doesn't mean he can learn to read defenses and go through his progressions..

And while Norv Turner is a great OC, and good with QBs, I honestly despise his system. It made Phillip Rivers look average. And was a big part in Schwartz having a terrible sophomore year..

Swish #916898 01/17/15 08:46 PM
Legend
Legend
Just a quick comment, Jameis has a 4.0 GPA and got a scholarship offer from Stanford. He's not dumb, just immature as hell. Kind of like Richard Sherman.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Just clicking.

With this draft looking to be pretty weak ... do we look to trade down with our firsts, turning each into a second this year and a first next?

With 3 firsts next year, and ours looking to be a early one, we would have the ammo we needed to move up to the top. Assuming there is someone next year that would be worth it.

Not advocating this, just tossing it out there.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
I agree w/much of your post, but man, the Mariotta part blows my mind.

You hate Manziel, but Mariotta is very similar as a qb to JM. In fact, I think JM is more advanced at reading defenses and going through progressions than MM.

Yep, Marcus is a better person, but man.......he can't read coverages or defenses to save his life.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
It's sad when 2015 has barely begun and were already looking to 2016 as the year we may be able to do something. Only a browns fan would understand.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
I agree w/much of your post, but man, the Mariotta part blows my mind.

You hate Manziel, but Mariotta is very similar as a qb to JM. In fact, I think JM is more advanced at reading defenses and going through progressions than MM.

Yep, Marcus is a better person, but man.......he can't read coverages or defenses to save his life.

The only thing I'd give him credit for is his work ethic is 100 times better than JM.

By that doesn't guarantee success. But its a good start.

Swish #916924 01/17/15 10:20 PM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I am not sold on Marcus Mariotta. He is great athlete but has a long way to go to be an effective NFL QB. I would not be upset to draft him if he fell to the Browns. But, that is not going to happen.

Jamies Winston is the best pure QB in this draft. His off the field troubles are a huge concern. Unless the Browns make a major trade he will not be wearing seal Brown and burnt orange next year.

A QB I would like to see the Browns go after anywhere between rounds 2 and 4 is Sean Mannion Oregon State. Right now he is projected as a 3rd or 4th round pick but I predict he will rise between now and draft day.

He has ideal size 6'5 220lbs. with a big arm. He can make all of the throws. Executed a pro style offense in college. Very good play action passer. Does not show great footwork mainly due to Oregon State's very poor offensive line. Many of his highlight films show him throwing off his back foot.

Romans 10:9 "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in thy heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."
Legend
Legend

Really, I don't hate Manziel.

The problem I have with him is I never thought him worthy of a first round grade.

He was a two year player. He is undersized. He depended upon running in college. Running behind a great OL in college. His speed is nothing at the pro level. Michael Vick was fast and never played a full season and Manziel had nowhere near the talent of Vick. In addition all the issues that were suspected in college have shown up now at the pro level. But is was not his fault that he was drafted in the first round.

Mariota executed the offense he played under for three years and did it at the highest level. He did what was asked of him. In addition he had alot of responsibilities in the Oregon offense in play calling and changes at the LOS. The speed they played at is not easy given all that was on his plate as a dual threat player.

The difference from Manziel is he is bigger, faster, and serious about his job and responsibilities as a leader of the team.

Once Mariota is drafted he will learn the required system.

It would be better for him to be behind a veteran like Garoppolo in NE. Or, like Rodgers was with Green Bay. But in realty that is the best way to develop any quarterback.

It is rare for a player to start in his first year and find success unless he is with a good team with weapons around him.

I am very confident that Mariota will become a great pro. If he landed in Cleveland I would be very happy to cheer for a guy who I believed in. However, I doubt that will happen.

V
Legend
Legend
V
We agree about a lot of things, but we are far apart on this issue. Not being able to read coverages almost guarantees failure in the NFL.

Swish Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
i believe we have weapons.

and unfortunately, as seen this past season, we don't have the luxury of picking first round QB's and letting them sit on the bench.

which is why i prefer winston over mariota. dude is a clone of manziel. winston is actually required to read defenses, and he excelled at it.

the reality is that we aren't NE or green bay or any of these other teams with average QB play that we can develop a guy. our first rounders need to be starting. they HAVE to. there are plenty of examples of success and failure going both routes. which is why i'm pissed.

if we still had shanny, i'd be more comfortable with him as our OC if we started a rookie QB week 1.

lets hope whoever we get can develop guys and give them the best chance to succeed.

but week one starter? winston all day over mariota.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Swish #916990 01/18/15 10:25 AM
K
All Pro
All Pro
K
the reality is that we aren't NE or green bay or any of these other teams with average QB play that we can develop a guy.

if i'm not mistaken cinci had brought in kitna from the lions and was starting him while carson palmer sat on the bench. you don't HAVE to start your #1 pick day one. very few QB's can come in and take the league by storm. i think you do more harm than good if you DON'T let him sit for a year or so.

tradition can only carry you so far, then you have to start winning again.
Swish Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Originally Posted By: KNOXDAWG
the reality is that we aren't NE or green bay or any of these other teams with average QB play that we can develop a guy.

if i'm not mistaken cinci had brought in kitna from the lions and was starting him while carson palmer sat on the bench. you don't HAVE to start your #1 pick day one. very few QB's can come in and take the league by storm. i think you do more harm than good if you DON'T let him sit for a year or so.

kitna was horrible. he lead them to an 8-8 season before carson took over.

we could barely win 7 games.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Swish #916996 01/18/15 10:33 AM
K
All Pro
All Pro
K
that's my whole point. kitna was serviceable, which allowed cinci to let CP sit for awhile. i could be wrong but wasn't it like two years?

Swish Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Originally Posted By: KNOXDAWG
that's my whole point. kitna was serviceable, which allowed cinci to let CP sit for awhile. i could be wrong but wasn't it like two years?

i think carson only sat on the bench for the year.

which is fine because i worked. i see your point.

but who could we bring in to do that? hoyer proved he can't last a whole season.

- Theodore Roosevelt
Swish #917005 01/18/15 10:40 AM
K
All Pro
All Pro
K
man don't ask me. i know who i would want but i'm sure the HC and GM would know better than I.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
How about taking a shot with Ryan Mallet if he comes cheap? Keep either Bh or JM and draft a project in 2nd or 3rd rd. JMO

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
If I was GM of the Browns, Ryan Mallet would be my top FA target. But he won't come cheap. And with our Wr corp, I think he would be hesitant to come here at all.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Legend
Legend

Vers, our difference on Mariota is that what you see is not the end product.

The NFL is loaded with talent. What separates them is how bad a player wants it.

The Browns with Manziel, West and Gilbert is a perfect example.

Mariota ran the Oregon offense. He ran it to perfection. His results show that. Just because the offense was based upon pace and quick reads does not mean that he is incapable of learning the offense that he will play under next.

We both were really big on Bridgewater. He was easy to judge because he was able to demonstrate NFL skills in reading defenses and going through progressions. He also displayed accuracy and calmness in the pocket while under pressure.

In the case of Mariota you are unable to see those things because of the Oregon scheme. You have to be able to forecast his skills into the NFL. Just like you have to forecast a DE in college into 3-4 OLB.

Mariota can throw it all over the field accurately. He has good size and great speed. He has a quick release. He demonstrated the qualities of leadership and work ethic consistently over his three years.

Agreed he will have to learn to read NFL defenses and throwing guys open. He will have to learn going through progressions.

But you will never have to worry about Mariota studying and putting in the required time and effort. Because of the person he is and the way he approaches the game.

That is what separates him and that is why he will succeed. He has the raw tools but he also has the drive to take those tools to the next level.

Swish #917069 01/18/15 02:18 PM
Legend
Legend
"dude is a clone of manziel"
=====================================

Except that he bigger at 6"4" and 220lbs and way faster. 4.4 speed versus Manziel at 4.67.

And he played three years of college ball and he takes his job seriously.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/23030...-1-overall-pick

Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2015 NFL Season The NFL Draft 2015 #1 draft need: QB

Link Copied to Clipboard