Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
'Report: NFL Probing NE for Deflating Balls'

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/report-nfl-probing-ne-for-deflating-balls/ar-AA8kOM9

Shortly after their 45-7 win over the Indianapolis Colts in the AFC Championship Sunday, the New England Patriots are reportedly set to be investigated by the NFL for the use of deflated footballs during the game.

TV's Bob reported the details, noting the Pats are at risk of losing draft picks if they are found guilty of the accusations:

Breaking: A league source tells me the NFL is investigating the possibility the Patriots deflated footballs Sunday night. More to come.

— Bob Kravitz (@bkravitz) January 19, 2015
I'm told at one point the officials took a ball out of play and weighed it. Should hear more tomorrow on this subject.

Told if a league investigation confirms deflated footballs it will result in lost draft picks. Stay tuned.

Deflated footballs or not, the Patriots were the better team Sunday, the Colts by nearly 200 yards and dominating both sides of the ball for the majority of the game. It would be a huge stretch to suggest the final score was a product of a football that may have weighed slightly less than usual.

put it simply:

Nobody is suggesting this is why the colts lost obviously. They were manhandled.

Still, this is an interesting story. The Patriots, of course, were at the center of the 2007 videotaping controversy—also known as Spygate—in which they were found to be videotaping New York Jets' coaches' signals from the sideline. Bill Belichickwas fined $500,000 for that incident, while the team lost its first-round draft pick.

More than anything, with two weeks until the Super Bowl and media attention significantly increased, the Patriots will be hoping this doesn't serve as a distraction before the most important game of the season.

(end)

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
This explains why the Colts got beat so bad! grin

Legend
Legend
deflated or not, at least the Pats had some balls last night

Indy had none

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
wait...so the Patriots may be cheaters? no, it cant be

(sarcasm)

Legend
Legend
Vinatieri just slapped his holder on the back saying, "Yeah, that's how I missed that kick so badly, it wasn't me that was deflated, it was the football."

#GMSTRONG
R
All Pro
All Pro
R
...and if found guilty they only lose a draft pick. So stupid, even if a 1st rounder, who wouldn't give that up for a shot at the superbowl? heck why not cheat. it's just a bottom four pick.

"He who buys what he does not need steals from himself."
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: RocDawg
...and if found guilty they only lose a draft pick. So stupid, even if a 1st rounder, who wouldn't give that up for a shot at the superbowl?

So you're suggesting this helped them beat the Colts?

It was 45-7. Brady could have been throwing a basketball and still beat the Colts by 21.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
If it doesnt help, why would there be a rule against it?

Legend
Legend
Sounds like a bargain to me. Wouldn't hesitate.

As always, the NFL is the master model of justice and discipline.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
Legend
Wasn't there something in the press just yesterday where Belichick accused the Jets of something. What the heck was it.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
i'm not saying NE deflated the ball.

but from experience, deflated balls are easier to catch in the rain than normal footballs pumped up.

just my 2 cents.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The Browns should be under investigation, my balls are deflated everytime they take the field.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Originally Posted By: Swish

but from experience, deflated balls are easier to catch in the rain than normal footballs pumped up.

just my 2 cents.

I agree. Not sure it would have changed the outcome of the game, but the Colts receivers sure did seem to struggle.

Legend
Legend
I see Eric Mangini directing the watching fingers into his eye's and then back toward Bill B. smile

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
O
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
O
Originally Posted By: Arps

just my 2 cents.

I agree. Not sure it would have changed the outcome of the game, but the Colts receivers sure did seem to struggle.

So I was traveling yesterday and wasn't able to watch any of the game but all of the highlights (or lowlights if you will) of Indy receivers missing the ball would have had no effect if the ball was deflated or not.

This wouldn't have changed the outcome because I don't see how a deflated ball would help Bount rush for 120+ yards and 3 TDs.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: 3rd_and_20
This explains why the Colts got beat so bad! grin

rofl

Legend
Legend
J/C .....

I have a stupid question.

The officials touch the ball on every play, as the move the ball to the correct spot, set the ball for play, pick it up and toss it to another official .....

If a ball was deflated to the point of impacting play, wouldn't someone have noticed? Wouldn't one of the players have said to an official, "Hey, this ball doesn't feel right, Can you check it out"?

I mean, did they not realize it until after the game or something? Really?

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
It literally says at one point during the game they took a ball out and weighed it.

Pay attention tongue

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Receiver catches ball instead of it bouncing out of his hands + More first down = less opportunity for Blount to rush for 120

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
J/C .....

I have a stupid question.

The officials touch the ball on every play, as the move the ball to the correct spot, set the ball for play, pick it up and toss it to another official .....

If a ball was deflated to the point of impacting play, wouldn't someone have noticed? Wouldn't one of the players have said to an official, "Hey, this ball doesn't feel right, Can you check it out"?

I mean, did they not realize it until after the game or something? Really?

at the end of the day, it doesn't matter.

the deflated ball excuse doesn't fly when colts fans take into account that blount ran for 148 yards and 3 TD's. nor the fact that Luck was gift wrapping turnovers like he always does.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
F
Legend
Legend
F
Originally Posted By: OrlandoDawg
Originally Posted By: Arps

just my 2 cents.

So I was traveling yesterday and wasn't able to watch any of the game but all of the highlights (or lowlights if you will) of Indy receivers missing the ball would have had no effect if the ball was deflated or not.

This wouldn't have changed the outcome because I don't see how a deflated ball would help Bount rush for 120+ yards and 3 TDs.

Not that it made a difference, but if they had not had a 2 or more score lead the entire game, do they run that much?

The entire outcome of a game can hinge on just a few plays, if a team gets an advantage on those plays and capitalizes, it could change a lot, I doubt it did, but it could.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: ThatGuy
It literally says at one point during the game they took a ball out and weighed it.

Pay attention tongue

Hey, I said it was a stupid question. rofl

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: Psydeffect
The Browns should be under investigation, my balls are deflated everytime they take the field.

So true yet so funny at the same time.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG

So true yet so funny at the same time.

I really appreciated that. thumbsup

Politicians are puppets, y'all. Let's get Geppetto!

Formerly 4yikes2yoshi0
Legend
Legend

Someone had to say it.... better you than me!

rofl

"too many notes, not enough music-"

#GMStong
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

just my 2 cents.

thumbsup

That's exactly it.

1st String
1st String
Yeah as wonder if someone else has deflated the balls. But really someone may have deflated them over in the wanting a certain team to win.

June Summertime 2024!
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Bill has been known to try to "gain an edge" over the years, but this allegation is so ridiculous. Is this a way that you make a very boring game more interesting? The NFL between the refereeing and all this type of stuff is starting to look like a joke.

Last edited by WhatCanBrownDo4U; 01/20/15 04:13 AM.

Congratulations to our 2016 NBA Champion CLEVELAND CAVALIERS!!! Greatest comeback in sports history... Hail to the King!

The great QB guru and the Moneyball group: 1-15
Record of Criminal Haslam owned Browns: 20-60 (0.250)
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
This isn't too juicy, but a little bit interesting:

'Sports Illustrated: Patriots Cross Lines Other Teams Wouldn’t Dare Crossing'

http://nesn.com/2015/01/sports-illustrated-patriots-cross-lines-other-teams-wouldnt-dare-crossing/

By Doug Kyed on Mon, Jan 19, 2015 at 8:42PM

NFL teams visiting Gillette Stadium, deflated balls are the least of your worries.

The New England Patriots apparently are devious, rule-bending jerks. Even building Patriot Place, the shopping plaza surrounding Gillette Stadium, was merely an elaborate scheme to help head coach Bill Belichick cheat, according to Sports Illustrated.

In a column framed around the accusation that the Patriots deflated balls in Sunday’s 45-7 AFC Championship Game win over the Indianapolis Colts, Sports Illustrated listed many other ways in which the Patriots “cut corners.”

Here are some:

–Patriots staffers who supply the visiting team with towels eavesdrop and report back findings to the home team.

–Opposing coaches put locks on their locker room to prevent Patriots staffers from walking in to grab play sheets.

–Head coach Bill Belichick didn’t follow the unwritten rule to run by his ineligible formations with the league office before running them last Saturday

–Belichick instead ran it by NFL referee Bill Vinovich before the game in hopes to confuse and intimidate the official.

–And the best of all: The large monitor outside CBS Scene restaurant in Patriot Place only is visible to the Patriots’ sideline, which gives Belichick and the Patriots the advantage of being able to see replays.

Keep in mind that there are monitors in coaches booths, and teams have a person assigned to watch replays to see if a call on the field is worth challenging.

The column also includes this line: “Maybe some of this is overstated. But the perception is real, and it is not totally unfounded.”

The NFL will decide whether the Patriots cheated or not by deflating balls. The investigation is expected to take time, and a verdict might not be reached until next week. Sports Illustrated’s Michael Rosenberg probably won’t believe their findings anyway, however, because “without hard evidence the NFL probably doesn’t want to embarrass one of its Super Bowl teams.”

That must be why the Patriots haven’t been punished for any of their other dastardly tactics listed above.

(end)

D
Legend
Legend
D
Patriots are "above the law"...

I highly doubt, even if the deflated ball accusation is true, they will be punished much other than a small Lil tap on the wrist. A fine equalivalent to the money Bellicheck keeps in his wallet for spending money. JMO

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
I hate to be the one but,the footballs are weighed and inspected by the officials before the game,and then in control of the NFL ballboys during it.
The balls are not designated as Colts balls/Patriots balls but are used randomly.
It would be next to impossible to get a deflated ball in the game at just the right time to be effective,but this story sure sounds good.

Indecision may,or maynot,be my problem
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: BCbrownie
I hate to be the one but,the footballs are weighed and inspected by the officials before the game,and then in control of the NFL ballboys during it.
The balls are not designated as Colts balls/Patriots balls but are used randomly.
It would be next to impossible to get a deflated ball in the game at just the right time to be effective,but this story sure sounds good.

Come on, don't you dare bring some logic and common sense to this conspiracy discussion. The NFL is obviously going to let the Patriots off because they're the league's favorite team. smile

I think this is the same thing baseball managers do to get inside the other teams head some times. They'll ask the ump to check the pitchers glove or suggest a bat might be corked just to slow the game down or lay that hint to the media that the other team is cheating. Automatic excuse.

I would bet balls are sometimes over or under inflated throughout the season and then they're just taken out of the game by the refs or if a QB says it's low or high. Nobody cares or makes a big deal, until it's the Pats.

I'm no fan of theirs, but people are ready to believe anything sinister to avoid giving Bill and Tom their due. In a league where teams bubble up and down all the time, it's just not fair that they're this good year in and year out....so there has to be a reason, not just that they're that good.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The Colts could have been playing with beach balls for all I care, they got their butts kicked.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Exactly BpG it had no bering on the game. Actually I think our Browns, when we were healthy and BH was playing well, could have given NE a better game. If you put Luck on the Browns I believe we are a better team than the Colts. JMHO

Legend
Legend
Yup, I'm pretty sure that the deflated balls had nothing to do with the Colts DLine getting blown up repeatedly, or the fact that they couldn't tackle a RB all day until he reached the secondary.

LeGarret Blount 30 carries for 148: 4.93 yards per carry

Yup, that's totally because of deflated balls.

Whatever, DQwell rolleyes

Last edited by PrplPplEater; 01/20/15 12:45 PM.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
ball didn't look deflated bouncing off of cribbs face.

- Theodore Roosevelt
All Pro
All Pro
For what it's worth, Mark Schlareth said each team uses it's own balls during the game. Which makes sense as I've heard of quarterbacks who like certain things more than others like more pronounced laces or whatnot...

Last in, first out, the sign of a true champion!
[Linked Image from i301.photobucket.com]
Legend
Legend
From 'The Onion':

"NFL Investigating Whether Patriots Played Game With Properly Inflated Vince Wilfork"

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I believe that may be where the air went from the balls that were underinflated.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
A
Legend
Legend
A
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
From 'The Onion':

"NFL Investigating Whether Patriots Played Game With Properly Inflated Vince Wilfork"

Did he, at anytime, land on a ball? If so, the "deflated ball" theory is proven.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2014 NFL Season The NFL Post Season 2014 Report: NFL Probing NE for Deflating Balls

Link Copied to Clipboard