Legend
Legend
V
They look wasted.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Interesting that you seem to blame Gordon's friends more than you blame Josh for his suspensions.

I stated a fact. Of course Gordon has responsibility for his actions. My bad I thought that was obvious. But also in the years he has been here discussing on this board it has been Josh with his Circle of friends who openingly have POT with them in his car, toking away at parties that Gordon had to get away from partying with his circle of friends to have at least a shot of staying clean.

Blame? Who cares about blame. I'm talking reality here. Take Gordon away from his HOME TOWN environment where they as a crew are really into their pot. Put him with the Wine and Beer Crowd. He has a better shot at staying clean...HE as in his choices stands a better shot.

I think some of you pee on posters thoughts just cause you have a loose bladder rolleyes

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
D
Legend
Legend
D
Quote:
I stated a fact. Of course Gordon has responsibility for his actions. My bad I thought that was obvious. But also in the years he has been here discussing on this board it has been Josh with his Circle of friends who openingly have POT with them in his car, toking away at parties that Gordon had to get away from partying with his circle of friends to have at least a shot of staying clean.

Blame? Who cares about blame. I'm talking reality here. Take Gordon away from his HOME TOWN environment where they as a crew are really into their pot. Put him with the Wine and Beer Crowd. He has a better shot at staying clean...HE as in his choices stands a better shot.

I wouldn't necessarily take it on faith that Gordon has abandoned his stoner friends, just because he likes drinking with Manziel. I also wouldn't necessarily assume that Johnny and his friends are strangers to the chronic. Its not a zero-sum proposition.

Quote:
I think some of you pee on posters thoughts just cause you have a loose bladder

I don't even know what that means. I wasn't peeing on anything, just posting an observation based on what you posted. I tried to couch it politely by saying "you seem to blame ...", but you're pretty quick to take offense, imo.

P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: Swish
but gordons friends, combined with his mentality, like to party with weed. thats an issue.

right now we need to take this one step at a time. manziel's friends is i guess technically an upgrade over gordon's.

How is hanging out with Johnny Owl Eyes a technical upgrade?

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: PDR
but gordons friends, combined with his mentality, like to party with weed. thats an issue.

right now we need to take this one step at a time. manziel's friends is i guess technically an upgrade over gordon's.

well maybe he will not do pot anymore.

thats a upgrade right????

being a browns fan is like taking your dog to vet every week to be put down...
Legend
Legend
Completely agree with Swish and tab. As long as Johnny didn't bring any $20 bills, I'd have to say I'm glad he's got Josh there with him. How many people on here have said Gordon needs new friends, now he is hanging out with new people and the media wants to bash it. Hmm. Pretty lame if you ask me.

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Originally Posted By: clevesteve
Completely agree with Swish and tab. As long as Johnny didn't bring any $20 bills, I'd have to say I'm glad he's got Josh there with him. How many people on here have said Gordon needs new friends, now he is hanging out with new people and the media wants to bash it. Hmm. Pretty lame if you ask me.

Time will tell

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

so far manziel and his friends, haven't heard a run in with gordon's kryptonite: weed.

so its an upgrade.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
V
Legend
Legend
V
I have defended Manziel, but I am really getting the feeling that he has a serious alcohol problem.

It's one thing to drink a bit to have a good time and it's another thing for it to start to take control of your life.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
If these guys were winning(and they still might) no one would care about their partying. The partying has been going on forever. Remember Joe Namath, Ken Stabler, Sonny Jurgensen and even Bobby Layne in the 50's just to name a few. Difference is those guys won. That's the bottom line with most.

Legend
Legend
i'm concerned too.

but its the offseason. these guys are on vacation.

man when i was on leave, i can't tell you how stupid trashed i got. it was crazy. but when it was time to go back to work, i had to lay it off.

so this is manziel's first offseason. lets see what happens come OTA's, training camp.

gordon on the other hand. he's walking on egg shells. he knows he can't even get threatened with someone calling the cops or whatever sympathy the coaches and FO was gonna give him goes out the window.

he needs to stay away from weed. and he needs to make sure ANYBODY but him is driving.

if he can survive just one offseason without incident, then who knows, he MIGHT just get it.

i'm expecting the worst, hoping for the best.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Homewood Dog
If these guys were winning(and they still might) no one would care about their partying. The partying has been going on forever. Remember Joe Namath, Ken Stabler, Sonny Jurgensen and even Bobby Layne in the 50's just to name a few. Difference is those guys won. That's the bottom line with most.

i get that. but its not like manziel started the entire season TO win.

lets see if they can make it through the offseason without embarassing themselves.

- Theodore Roosevelt
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Gilbert I would hang onto Gordon and JF would get the Ax.

Gordon has some trade value and JF none at all so I just cut him...

If he were serious about his craft he would be in Cleveland working on his game, instead he is in South Beach followed by Aspen doing what he came here for partying.

The message IMO needs to be clear if your here for the party the party is OVER. It's about football and being the best anything else get the hell out.

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Can't believe I am in a group that is comprised of the best NOT just fans but people on the planet.
C
Legend
Legend
C
We got picks for Colt McCoy. We could definitely get picks for Manziel.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
We got picks for Colt McCoy. We could definitely get picks for Manziel.

Take what you can get and move on. He is a loser and this franchise has had enough of those over the years. If he was really interested in improving he would be putting in the work other franchises are watching and they wouldn't give up anything for him, or at least I wouldn't.

What a waste......................

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Can't believe I am in a group that is comprised of the best NOT just fans but people on the planet.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
I have defended Manziel, but I am really getting the feeling that he has a serious alcohol problem.

It's one thing to drink a bit to have a good time and it's another thing for it to start to take control of your life.

If that is the case, then can't the Browns step in? Might be a good time to nip this in the bud...not sure how you go about it though...

Substance Policy

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness." [Mark Twain]
C
Legend
Legend
C
Unless Manziel shows up drunk to a team function I don't see how any of this is provable.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I was thinking missing meetings due to partying the night before...I agree though I have no clue as to how you go about this...

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness." [Mark Twain]
C
Legend
Legend
C
He was late to treatment. Gordon missed a walkthrough. Neither are huge offenses, it is just that guys that committed them that make it a big deal.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I can't prove it. I think I was clear about that. I thought I said........"I get the feeling..." or something like that.

Not sure how long you have been around the boards, but how many times over the years have I been wrong about stuff like that?

I am not basing my opinion because I saw the bottles in that photo. It's a culmination of things. There is a ton of isolated incidents that point in that direction.

I think the biggest thing that makes me think he might have a problem is that he makes comments about becoming more serious and the very next night he is out on the town. He has to know that every person w/a cell phone is gunning to take his picture, yet he can't seem to stop himself.

I have some first-hand and a ton of second-hand experience on how alcoholics behave. I am seeing a pattern w/the kid.

I could be wrong. It's only speculation. We'll see what transpires.

C
Legend
Legend
C
I don't know what you are responding to, but it seems pretty reckless to speculate on whether or not someone is an alcoholic based on what the media has found out.

V
Legend
Legend
V
LOL..........reckless speculation on a message board. That would be a first.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Hard to tell Vers. I mean the kid literally has a pic taken wherever he is - heck even the bathroom.

We see him not fall down drunk (this year the 22 year old Manziel) he is with what seems to be sensible fun. Beer and wine. I don't see shots being put down and falling on a table or something. Looks like some good clean fun.

When he relaxes it sure seems like he enjoys his beer. I have two boys - they both played sports but they both could be referred to as Nerds. They love their Beer. Not an every day thing but if they go out or have friends over - they buy their different kinds of beer and enjoy.

People with drinking PROBLEMS...I would think the tell tale is the DUI not Insta gram pics of bottle in front of him along with others in the crowd.

Personally I actually see a difference in the pictures showing perhaps actually maturation. Lets face it he will be in that BACHELOR form till he meets a young lady and she tames him down. wink

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:
We see him not fall down drunk (this year the 22 year old Manziel) he is with what seems to be sensible fun.

Almost two months.

Way to go, Johnny.

Quote:
People with drinking PROBLEMS...I would think the tell tale is the DUI not Insta gram pics of bottle in front of him along with others in the crowd.

I can't say whether or not he has a drinking problem. But he certainly has a problem with common sense and/or intelligence.

Quote:
Personally I actually see a difference in the pictures showing perhaps actually maturation.

Staggers the imagination.

The mind sees what it wishes to see.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I think the biggest thing that makes me think he might have a problem is that he makes comments about becoming more serious and the very next night he is out on the town

Does he know how to enjoy life outside of football without alcohol? I no longer think so. Its a real issue for a lot of folks from highschool to the pros and beyond.

E
Legend
Legend
E
The mind sees what it wishes to see.

Just be sure to look in the mirror when u say that.

I see no lack in judgement to be with a few select friends with some good looking young ladies in Aspen for fun and games sitting outside with about a hundred other youths doing the same exact thing. Having fun eating a meal and having some Wine and Beer. All during a closed session of your Organization where all are on vacation.

These pictures seem so so docile compared to the wild party in Las Vegas - where I get off saying possibly we can see some maturity. Just cause he doesn't take pictures and have them go out on the internet for 99% of his time. Oh look this is me reading a book. This is me studying the new playbook, hopefully by February we will have one.

Those pictures in Aspen look about as All American as I can hope a 22 year old can be.

we get it you dislike him. you wish to portray our FO and new Coaching staff as a joke. You wish to believe what most of the Bozo's wish to portray the Browns as dysfunction. But having a NORMAL (normal if you got the dough) good wholesome time on vacation.

I choose not too. I see the best record we have had in 7 years. I see the best record we had in the first season of a new HC.

What I do not see is a Sure fire established Franchise QB. This is true. The plan was to never play JM in 2014. We do not know what is in store for that position - we will know more after FA and the draft. But unless we re-sign Hoyer it appears JM will be the King of the Hill and somebody will have to knock him off of the hill.

QB is the only negative I see of this team. Manziel is not established yet. If he can will still be determined 6-7 quarters will not define anything.

jmho

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

K
All Pro
All Pro
K
unless we re-sign Hoyer it appears JM will be the King of the Hill and somebody will have to knock him off of the hill.

what if we do resign hoyer? how do you see that shaking out?

tradition can only carry you so far, then you have to start winning again.
Legend
Legend
if we resign hoyer, i think we draft winston or mariota if by god's grace they fall to us at 12.

to me that would mean they have zero faith in manziel.

- Theodore Roosevelt
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Any other QB/wr combo going toaspen we would be like, yea thats a great bonding experience. Hope it transfers to the field. With these two, its great they go to party in a state where marijuana is legal lol. I worry about both.

On the flip side, Johnny has the talent to be a really good QB in this league. He got his feet wet this year and struggled and that was probably the best thing for him. The doubters will break u or motivate you. This was really big for his future. Can he come back and put in the time required and do the things that are required for the position.

K
All Pro
All Pro
K
Can he come back and put in the time required and do the things that are required for the position.

for our sake i hope so. if he doesn't put the time in this year though, i doubt he will ever get it.

P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:
On the flip side, Johnny has the talent to be a really good QB in this league

He actually doesn't, which is why drafting him in the first was a massive blunder.

I can't think of a single elite trait he possesses at the NFL level. He's undersized, inaccurate, can't read a defense, constantly has happy feet and poor mechanics, throws ducks unless conditions are perfect, isn't very bright, etc., etc. He was an uphill climb from day one, and should have never been picked before the 3rd-4th round.

E
Legend
Legend
E
what if we do resign hoyer? how do you see that shaking out?

I would consider him the returning starter...he would start out the king on the hill and have to be knocked off that hill.

JM would be given every opportunity to do so - as would any top 50 draft pick.

Trade or FA QB brought in with high regard is a different story. Actually I wouldn't think we would sign Hoyer and another FA QB.

Hoyer signs unless its only because he couldn't get a FA bite anywhere else and he comes back to us for a contract. But if we go after Hoyer and have him sign prior to the FA market. He's the king of the hill.

jmho

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Sadly, I think you may be right. I didn't want us to draft Jm but when we did I got behind him 100%. I still hope he will become a good qb but I have my doubts.

K
All Pro
All Pro
K
that's exactly how i would like to see it. is this years FA really any better than hoyer anyway? i really want to see him back and have the new QB coach work on some of the fundamentals that put him in his slump. something happened to him mentally that can be fixed. other than that i truely believe he's a winner.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Agreed. Bh's best chance for success is to re-sign with us. It might be our best chance too until we can get someone better. rolleyes

E
Legend
Legend
E
Keep in mind I am not endorsing or suggesting that is the way to go. Just answering your question.

I will leave this up to our NEW OC, Pettine & Farmer.
They know exactly what went on who is to fault. If they simply know that Hoyer is not an answer they will not sniff a 2nd contract.

When Hoyer was good I loved it. Him deteriorating just didn't make much sense. He just might not be Accurate enough for what we need.

jmho and not much more.

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
He is a guy. He isnt going to win you any games and the best you can hope for is he doesnt lose them for you. Backup at best.

K
All Pro
All Pro
K
Him deteriorating just didn't make much sense

i agree with that. that's why i say it was mental for what ever reason, and there's quite a few reasons to choose from. if he had it going before there's no reason to doubt that he couldn't get it back.
thanks for the response.

P
All Pro
All Pro
P
Quote:

He actually doesn't, which is why drafting him in the first was a massive blunder.

I can't think of a single elite trait he possesses at the NFL level. He's undersized, inaccurate, can't read a defense, constantly has happy feet and poor mechanics, throws ducks unless conditions are perfect, isn't very bright, etc., etc. He was an uphill climb from day one, and should have never been picked before the 3rd-4th round.

Perfectly said imho

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Paco
Quote:

Perfectly said imho

It was perfect except for the fact, he has a strong arm, tremendous mobility, had the highest completion percentage of any QB drafted last year when throwing from the pocket and he is really good when outside the pocket throwing on the run. Other than those silly little things, it was a flawless post by PDR.

Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Would this team be better with or without Gordon/Manziel/Gilbert?

Link Copied to Clipboard