Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
I'm holding out hope that Mingo can still be the OLB we need him to be but the quote justifying him being added to the list is no endorsement...

Quote:
Edge Rushers: Ezekiel Ansah (DET) and Barkevious Mingo (CLE)

Ansah is justifying the high draft pick, but you’d hope in years to come there might be a little more pressure and an increase in snaps. The selection of Mingo is an indication that this class has really yet to set the pass rushing world alight.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/01/14/2014-pff-all-sophomore-team/2/

Tackles are tackles.
R
Legend
Legend
R
Ouch. We picked you because we had to pick someone and there was no one better.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Rishuz
Ouch. We picked you because we had to pick someone and there was no one better.

Would have been a good year to trade down (assuming that we could have found a partner).

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
We did.....St. Louis.

Tackles are tackles.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
We did.....St. Louis.

What was their offer, Memphis?

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
I'd like to see what BM could do when he is healthy. I think he can be very good. He may need some work in the weight room too.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
How Barkevious Mingo adapted to his new role with Cleveland Browns and what it means to his future

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ss..._medium=twitter

being a browns fan is like taking your dog to vet every week to be put down...
D
Legend
Legend
D
Mingo was asked to do more covering than blitzing. There was more than several times where he didn't register a sack, but he collapsed the pocket and/or made the QB have to adjust. All with a lingering, well documented shoulder injury. He gets overpowered a lot, his speed is obviously his best weapon.

Very curious how Mingo is next year, hopefully again... a few pounds heavier and still retaining his speed and WITHOUT any sort of injury. I wasn't able to witness him much in coverage, but I don't recall many TE's tearing us up so...

All JMO

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I gained a hell of a lot of respect for Mingo and him going out there playing with his shoulder taped in, week after week and we never heard oen damn excuse from him. He is learning, improving and imho the kid showed a lot of heart and hustle.

1-10 I would say rookie year it was a 3. Completely lost never really seemed to get it but had a few flashes. This year I would say, he earned a 6. He was decent with potential. Now another year in system and a year to get healthy and another year of maturing physically, then we will know what we have in this kid.

All the prospects had questions that year. Mingo was completely raw and had only physical upside to offer. Now to see signs that he is mentally getting it under Pettine is just fantastic.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: bbrowns32
We did.....St. Louis.

What was their offer, Memphis?

Klosterman passes along word that the Browns would have traded back with the St. Louis Rams if Barkevious Mingo was not on the board at No. 6. (The Rams would have surrendered the No. 16 overall pick, their second-round pick and a seventh-rounder.) Mingo, however, was available, so the deal never happened.

Link

We CHOSE Mingo.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: Dawg_LB
Mingo was asked to do more covering than blitzing. There was more than several times where he didn't register a sack, but he collapsed the pocket and/or made the QB have to adjust. All with a lingering, well documented shoulder injury. He gets overpowered a lot, his speed is obviously his best weapon.

Very curious how Mingo is next year, hopefully again... a few pounds heavier and still retaining his speed and WITHOUT any sort of injury. I wasn't able to witness him much in coverage, but I don't recall many TE's tearing us up so...

All JMO

Exactly this was as if I had written it... Well said.. Mingo was a silent solid contributor.....The fact you didn't hear his name tells you how well he played....

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Can't believe I am in a group that is comprised of the best NOT just fans but people on the planet.
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Quote:
The fact you didn't hear his name tells you how well he played....

This just doesn't have the same ring to it as if you were referring to an offensive lineman and not a 3-4 outside linebacker.

Was Mingo asked to do more than rush the passer this year? Yes. (which may end up being good for his overall game)
Was he in coverage and struggling with injuries? Yes.

However, Mingo rushed the passer more than 200 times in 2014. He didn't fare too well, IMO. And that will need to be his bread and butter.

I agree with DawgLB that he could add "some" weight while not effecting his speed too much. Mingo WILL HAVE TO be a force rushing the passer if he wants to be successful. You can throw him in coverage and ask him to set the edge but at some point his main productivity will be sacks/hurries/etc. He did not meet expectations for many in the two years in Cleveland.

Again, I hold out hope for him. He seems like a good, smart kid, that wants to be the best he can be. But he cannot simply be "a silent contributor". That's not acceptable IMO. He needs to be a very active and visual part of this defensive pass rush. He needs to be a player offenses game plan around.....especially at the #6 spot.

Tackles are tackles.
C
Legend
Legend
C
This entire draft was doo-doo. We probably should have traded down, but there is no guarantee that those players would have been good either.

M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Considering the rest of our draft was horrible, you're right, we wouldn't know if we would've done better trading down.

Tackles are tackles.
P
Legend
Legend
P
I have always liked the pick of Mingo I new he would get better and he has ... JMHO thumbsup

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Not bad for only having one arm working this year.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I'm not sure who rated Mingo so high but.. they have to be related. He has so many holes in his game it's not eve funny.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Mingo had an excellent year playing team defense. His role didn't involve a lot of pass rushing so he sacrificed individual stats and was just a football player. I say football player with the utmost respect. He did the dirty work of the line backing corp this season. He did it hurt and he didn't use it as an excuse for he lack of stats. I don't believe he is a finished product as a player and he will continue to develop.

C
Legend
Legend
C
I am excited to see Mingo play healthy and full-time next year.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Well, if your idea of a great outside linebacker is a guy that is horrible against the run, can't set the edge, and is invisible as a pass rusher.... then yes, Mingo is the best outside linebacker we've ever had. Hopefully, he will continue to produce as he did this year. Two sacks, while allowing every team in the league to run right over or around him? Can't ask for more than that. And if our staffs dream is to keep our sack level at or below this years, we are all set.
31 sacks. Two per game... I think if they try hard enough they can reduce that number to one per game. Won't be easy. But if anyone can do it, these guys can. And Mingo is the guy to help them get there!

#BlackLivesMatter #StopAsianHate
C
Legend
Legend
C
So, you didn't watch the games?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:
The fact you didn't hear his name tells you how well he played....

This just doesn't have the same ring to it as if you were referring to an offensive lineman and not a 3-4 outside linebacker.

Was Mingo asked to do more than rush the passer this year? Yes. (which may end up being good for his overall game)
Was he in coverage and struggling with injuries? Yes.

However, Mingo rushed the passer more than 200 times in 2014. He didn't fare too well, IMO. And that will need to be his bread and butter.

I agree with DawgLB that he could add "some" weight while not effecting his speed too much. Mingo WILL HAVE TO be a force rushing the passer if he wants to be successful. You can throw him in coverage and ask him to set the edge but at some point his main productivity will be sacks/hurries/etc. He did not meet expectations for many in the two years in Cleveland.

Again, I hold out hope for him. He seems like a good, smart kid, that wants to be the best he can be. But he cannot simply be "a silent contributor". That's not acceptable IMO. He needs to be a very active and visual part of this defensive pass rush. He needs to be a player offenses game plan around.....especially at the #6 spot.

Don't say that Memphis. We don't WANT sacks in Cleveland. Sacks are BAD. Just like setting the edge and tackling is bad. We want linebackers that never get to the quarterback and let other teams run the ball right down our throats. THAT spells greatness in Cleveland. smile

#BlackLivesMatter #StopAsianHate
Legend
Legend
Weights, fer shore. But let's decide what he is and use him mostly that way. He did some good things last year, but mystery man too many Sundays.

Do not feel like we used his strengths which is pass rushing; definitely edge-challenged in many ways. I do not think you beat people consistently trying to "outcrop" them. We needed pressure, more than Kruger, and chose and refused to do it way too often IMO.
We need a mobile stud this draft.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
V
Legend
Legend
V
Mingo has been slightly disappointing, but when you compare him to the guys taken the year before him and the year after him...........he is ALL WORLD.

Think about these picks:

TRich and Weeden. Complete busts.

Gilbert and Manziel. Two head cases that have been terrible on the field.

Mingo plays a ton of snaps and is helping the team. The other four are about as bad as it can get.

P
All Pro
All Pro
P
I think Mingo improved a lot this year. Yes, he was battling injury. Yes, he was in pass coverage more. Yes that would hurt his sack numbers but sack numbers are the overall defining stat for OLBs.

Hopefully he puts on about 10more lbs this off season. Maybe that will help him set the edge better. If he can do that and stay at home, on runs that are away from him, and not crash the back side, I think he would vastly improve.

I never thought he was a 1st rd pick, much less top 5. But he's a good kid and he's what we got. I hope he grows/improves again next season.

N
Legend
Legend
N
Originally Posted By: Mourgrym
I gained a hell of a lot of respect for Mingo and him going out there playing with his shoulder taped in, week after week and we never heard oen damn excuse from him. He is learning, improving and imho the kid showed a lot of heart and hustle.

Agreed. Much respect was gained this year.

#gmstrong
E
Legend
Legend
E
I liked what I saw from him the last 3 games or so. Up to that point I heard talk about the shoulder mostly from Pettine but didn't know how much was it Mingo not progressing much and excuses or a painful injury.

But those last few games I saw a lot more from him. To me either he got use to the pain or what I believe happened it started to get a bit better. His level of play definitely rose so that I was OK it was nursing and injury all this time.

Good for him - I'm curious to what we get out of him in year 2 of this defense and 100% healed!

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I'm holding out hope that Mingo can still be the OLB we need him to be but the quote justifying him being added to the list is no endorsement...

Quote:
Edge Rushers: Ezekiel Ansah (DET) and Barkevious Mingo (CLE)

Ansah is justifying the high draft pick, but you’d hope in years to come there might be a little more pressure and an increase in snaps. The selection of Mingo is an indication that this class has really yet to set the pass rushing world alight.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/01/14/2014-pff-all-sophomore-team/2/

Now, that's a backhanded compliment, lol

I lost the little hope I had for Mingo on the 4th down play vs the Colts. He was the reason the cutback was there to begin with, then he even had a shot to tackle Herron. He chose to do nothing and remained on the ground (unblocked) and only got up when Herron was already past him. If he was favoring his shoulder he shouldn't be lined up on the LOS on a game deciding 4th down GL play.

Btw, Mitchell Schwartz, who everyone still hates on here, made the 3rd year PFF team as a "solid RT".

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/01/15/2014-pff-all-third-year-team/

Tackles: Kelvin Beachum (PIT) and Mitchell Schwartz (CLE)

"Whether by luck or design the Steelers have found their left tackle of the future and that man is Beachum, one of the better pass-blocking tackles in the league. On the right side there weren’t as many candidates with the solid Schwartz beating out the weaker in pass protection Bobby Massie."

Last edited by DjangoBrown; 01/20/15 01:24 PM.

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
Legend
Legend
Backhanded compliment saying "Mitchell Schwartz isn't as bad as Bobby Massie and there aren't any other starting RTs from that draft."

E
Legend
Legend
E
What happened to Reiff the kid I wanted instead of Weeden?

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: eotab
What happened to Reiff the kid I wanted instead of Weeden?

He is the starting LT for Detroit. Considered solid but not great.

*edit* and if you wanted him over Cordy Glenn, you were wrong, lol.

Last edited by clevesteve; 01/20/15 02:41 PM. Reason: snark
E
Legend
Legend
E
Obviously I never thought of him as LT. Great LT's don't last that long on the board. He is was a RT for the NFL.

jmho

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

Legend
Legend
Obviously I never thought of him as LT. Great LT's don't last that long on the board. He is was a RT for the NFL.

jmho

just ribbin' ya

E
Legend
Legend
E
I wrote what I wrote before you made that edit...What is Glenn up to is he considered a RT?

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

N
Legend
Legend
N
I wrote what I wrote before you made that edit...What is Glenn up to is he considered a RT?

Glenn is one of the better LT in the NFL right now (Bills)

#gmstrong
E
Legend
Legend
E
Thanks - so that's the Glenn. just too busy to keep up with anything but my Browns.

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

N
Legend
Legend
N
Thanks - so that's the Glenn. just too busy to keep up with anything but my Browns.

yep, no worries. lots of names. he happened to be one of the guys I really wanted, but it wasn't to be. we got Bitonio, so I'm glad we picked one of the OL I have liked over the years.

now, I wish I had the same success predicting on QBs wink

#gmstrong
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Mingo Named to PFF All-Sophomore Team

Link Copied to Clipboard