Print Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11
#917815 01/20/15 10:11 AM
R
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
R
Just continuing the conversation. Which QB's might be worth of drafting this year or next. This year I doubt we have a shot at Winston or Mariota so lets talk about the other prospects. Does anyone see a QB prospect that might become a franchise qb. I ask because I have yet to find one that gives me confidence in saying that.

QB Jared Goff - A prospect for next years draft and not this one. Many of you feel like he will be a decent QB.

Pros: He is tall. He does well under pressure. He pays attention to small details(You often see him use a full throwing motion on a fake pass after a handoff). He has decent ball placement(not great). He does a decent job of reading defenses(not great). He displays good leadership and has good character. When he chooses to run the ball its not a liability.

Cons: He releases the ball too low and it lowers the trajectory too much at times. He has poor velocity on this throws and the ball wobbles too much. He does not go through all of his reads and will dump off the ball too quickly if he feels pressured. I get the feeling he is a bit slow minded(thats a gut feeling not an evaluation).

I would grade him out as a 2-4 fourth round pick. Of course he could still improve a lot as a junior. He is still very young. He would benefit from playing all 4 years in college IMHO. ATM I don't view him as a franchise QB.

You can't fix stupid but you can destroy ignorance. When you destroy ignorance you remove the justifications for evil. If you want to destroy evil then educate our people. Hate is a tool of the stupid to deal with what they can't understand.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I'm not a huge fan of looking forward to next year's QB class anymore. It's fun but it always seems like it's in vain.

I understand the temptation but a lot of the top guys are going to disappoint next year, some will rise and who knows if we'll even be in position to draft them?

I'd much rather discuss someone like Mariota who might actually be available for us this year because we have extra ammo. That said, I'd like to pick up on one point from the last thread about Johnny.

Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
It's this FO who believed enough in him to draft him in round 1. It's them who said he should sit all of last season. How much faith should any of us have in this organization if they write him off now?

It would actually give me a LOT more faith in him than if they started him next year. The hardest thing for personnel guys to do in the NFL is to admit a mistake because mistakes mean firings over time. Teams stick with scrubs for way too long and cost their teams wins/seasons as a result. The best thing Joe Banner did was trade Richardson for a first a year removed from going #3 overall (which was easier since he didn't make the pick). It's hard but when it's obvious, you have to cut bait.

Obviously you can't fully evaluate his NFL future from 6 quarters but there are enough red flags to move on if we're being honest IMO.

- He had 14 weeks to prepare for his start and he played like he was ripped straight off of the Texas A&M sideline. He admitted he didn't prepare enough, looked out of control and had terrible footwork.
- His speed doesn't seem to translate to the NFL as he was continually caught trying to get outside.
- He looks incredibly small and frail (not just short) and got knocked out on a normal hit.
- He has a subpar work ethic and doesn't seem to be capable of both partying and busting his butt in the film room like many players. And Johnny loves partying too much to stop.
- His personal life will always be a distraction and he doesn't seem to have any intention of being more private because he LOVES the spotlight.

Johnny looks like a huge project with a lousy work ethic. How many of those guys succeed in the NFL? That wasn't nearly as clear when he was drafted as it is now... Manziel talks a damn good game and I can see someone falling for it.

It would take a LOT of guts to admit that mistake but it would save us a wasted year if Johnny is what he appears to be. If Farmer traded Johnny and traded up for a guy like Mariota (who actually has the work ethic, size and attitude to succeed in his learning process), I'd give Farmer a round of applause for admitting his mistake.

We're... we're good?
Legend
Legend
I loved that Manziel had an ego.

Because I assumed that would lead to him working his butt off to be a great QB.

He likes being famous. I thought that was a good thing. Because no one wants to party with a 1st round bust.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
E
Legend
Legend
E
I know I have not read all the articles out there over the season. But on this POOR WORK ETHIC. The only one I remember to have read something on that accord was Johnny Manziel criticizing himself.

I don't remember once the coaches or players remarking about him not having a good work ethic. Of course a lot of articles editorializing off of JM's remarks about himself. Again not saying there hasn't been but I possibly have missed it a lot of inuendo by the media. Just asking if we got a definite report of this besides some speculations off of the comments JM made about himself.

jmh?

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend
let's hope its poor work ethic.

because anything else means he's sucks soley as a football player. which means yes, we need to go and try to get winston this draft.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
P
Legend
Legend
P
I just can't believe a coaching staff and FO would give up on a 1st round draft pick based on 6 quarters of play. Especially when they knew going into this year they wanted to red shirt him because he wouldn't be ready.

As Tab mentioned, none of the players or coaching staff had anything negative to say about his work ethic. And it's not like they wouldn't say anything. Just look at the comments about Gilbert to see they wouldn't have been bashful to comment.

Now don't get me wrong, I didn't see anything that gives me cause for hope in Manziel, but I would bet dollars to donuts that we won't see a QB drafted in round 1 this year.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
I think there are really only two that I would consider and neither one is expected to go in the first round (at least at this point).

Those two are Garrett Grayson & Sean Mannion.

Legend
Legend

Pit,

When you don't believe you have a guy who can lead a team at quarterback then to me all options are on the table.

Manziel is a Brown at this point he will get his chance.

Winston "most likely" will go number one to Tampa. There is a chance they will take Mariota.

Right now the Titans are on the clock. I don't know what they feel about Mettenberger. They have had a year to look at him. If they are open to trading down the Browns need to explore that.

No quarterback drafted high is going to come in a win a Super Bowl in the first few years. Look at the Colts. Andrew Luck was the best quarterback prospect I have ever seen in college.

It takes time to build the team around any great prospect. Aikmen, Manning, Brees, Rodgers, really all of them.

Mariota has the size, skills, character, leadership qualities, intelligence, and most importantly the work ethic.

In my mind he is close to being the perfect prospect to develop.

It would be a sin to pass on him when the only guy in the stable is Manziel.

The other option that I would certainly consider is trying to pry Bradford from the Rams but from what I read he is still in their plans. It still would not hurt to inquire.

Going into camp with Manziel and some veteran backup will not fix the problem only extend the time to fix the problem.

If the third or fourth quarterback in the draft (Bryce Petty or someone else is the BPA when we pick then take that guy. But only if he is the BPA.

Mariota and Winston are the BPA's in this draft or at least very close when the position is factored in. Close enough given who the Browns have on the roster.

In the end analysis if the Browns feel that Winston or Mariota "if available" are upgrades over what they feel Manziel is then to me you try to fix the problem. You go get one and if Manziel beats the guy out then he starts.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Nah there could be a lot of other variables involved on his 5-6 quarters results. Maybe not a lot...possibly a few more besides poor work ethic.

In my books and what I think Farmer/Pettine's JM wasn't suppose to play at all this year. Not a good 5 quarters? but playing scout QB didn't exactly prepare him on a coaching end.

jmho. New beginning. I always said that Bengal game was a disappointment in many ways. Not just Manziel. That O smelled bad from the get go. QB...all the way across.

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: eotab
I know I have not read all the articles out there over the season. But on this POOR WORK ETHIC. The only one I remember to have read something on that accord was Johnny Manziel criticizing himself.

I don't recall Manziel being called out specifically by the team (aside from Dansby agreeing with his self-critique) but there's no reason to do it publicly when a guy is saying it himself. However, there have been several articles that have alluded to it behind the scenes. Johnny has acknowledged it but he's been blowing the same smoke up our behinds ever since he declared.

Originally Posted By: Johnny Manziel
- “This is a job now… I’m extremely focused on whatever organization I’ll be at and really pouring my heart out, trying to be football 24/7 with that team.” Feb 2014
- "I'm very about football and I'm very about my job." June 2014
- "I'm not in college anymore and there are things I need to do better and that's just part of being a professional." July 2014
- "This is a job for me now and I have to take it a lot more seriously than maybe I did at first..." Dec 2014

Guess this really wasn't a job before he was drafted, but NOW it is... and he'll get right on it after he's been to South Beach... and Aspen... and... Or how about him "learning" about maturity over time?

- “I’m trying to show people that I’ve grown up, and I’ve learned from my experiences. I always feel like if you continue to make the same wrong decisions, continue to do that, that’s just not what I was raised to do. That’s not the right thing to do. I feel you’re a stupid person if you continue to make the same wrong decision over and over again.” Feb 2014
- "I'm growing up and continuing to learn from my mistakes and trying not to make the same ones over and over again." June 2014
- "I've made some rookie mistakes... There's some things that I wish I could've done differently but I'm continuing to move forward and trying to represent this organization in a positive manner and positive light." July 2014
- "I'm not the same guy that I've always been... It's been a year of growing up for me." - Dec 23, 2014

Less than a week later, Johnny has his infamous party and misses his therapy.

- "It's about actions, it's about being accountable instead of looking like a jackass." Dec 29, 2014

Honest to God, I've had it with his lip service. Johnny is who he is. His work habits are what they are. Just like on the field in the NFL, he talks a good game but does nothing to back it up.

Is there a chance he matures at SOME point? Sure... but I don't want to be the ones holding the bag if it never happens. He's nothing but hot air and empty promises and odds are, that's not changing any time soon.

We're... we're good?
C
Legend
Legend
C
It sounds like Mannion is pooping the bed at the Senior Bowl.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Again he was criticizing himself. He did all that was asked but he was criticizing himself for not burning the night oil as much as he could have. Coaches were always stating he was ahead of schedule from what they thought and that he was a hard worker as did most of the players.

As for the infamous party. missed Therapy? Did he miss it or showed up late?

Not excusing just showing how especially with JM things get a little exaggerated.

What I do know - is I wasn't there. I wish I was so that I could tell all one way or another whats up with the kid.

jmho

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

P
Legend
Legend
P
The report was he didn't show up and the Browns actually sent security to find him.

http://nesn.com/2014/12/report-johnny-ma...d-him-saturday/

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: cfrs15

shocker.

Saw on twitter... Sean Mehnion.

N
Legend
Legend
N

wait, did people expect him to be good? he had a terrible year. the joke going around was that he didn't throw nearly as many INTs this year because he was aiming at the WRs feet now (his INTs went down from 15 to 8, but his TDs went down from 37 to 15).

#gmstrong
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A

I was unaware that the game has been played.

N
Legend
Legend
N
Originally Posted By: anarchy2day

I was unaware that the game has been played.

the Senior Bowl is more about the practice battles then the game itself. see how the college kids react to getting NFL game prep and going against the other NFL potential seniors.

I believe most scouts/FO don't even bother to stick around the for the game.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M

As for the infamous party. missed Therapy? Did he miss it or showed up late?

Not excusing just showing how especially with JM things get a little exaggerated.

What I do know - is I wasn't there. I wish I was so that I could tell all one way or another whats up with the kid.

jmho

Missed. Late. Does it really matter? Security had to be sent to his residence to find him. This came on the heels of him proclaiming 3 or 4 days earlier that he was serious about being a pro this time and would vow to work harder and become a professional.

Pettine found it serious enough an offense to banish him to the locker room during the game. At which time, Manziel made time to get on Twitter and favorite a tweet while his time was out busting their ass to try and beat Baltimore.

As far as what's wrong with him? Nothing is wrong with him. He's a guy that lives to party and be seen first and foremost. The Browns are just there to pick up the bar bill.

Legend
Legend
Nah there could be a lot of other variables involved on his 5-6 quarters results. Maybe not a lot...possibly a few more besides poor work ethic.

In my books and what I think Farmer/Pettine's JM wasn't suppose to play at all this year. Not a good 5 quarters? but playing scout QB didn't exactly prepare him on a coaching end.

jmho. New beginning. I always said that Bengal game was a disappointment in many ways. Not just Manziel. That O smelled bad from the get go. QB...all the way across.

that i agree, the offensive effort, while lacking, had a lot to do with NOBODY understanding what the hell was going on. RB's going the wrong way, O lineman not pulling correctly, WR running wrong routes, Manziel not understanding the plays himself.

thats why i don't hang anything off that game. it was just a cluster F.... from top to bottom.

but that carolina game? thats concerning.

but hey, i think we have to give manziel the chance to start the entire season, but man, it'll be really hard to pass up on winston if that guy somehow falls to 10-12.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
C
Legend
Legend
C
Brandin Cooks was really, really good.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I agree a guy like Mariota might be worth taking a shot at if we could trade up. What I don't understand is people talking about Winston. We already have one idiot on the team in Manziel. I see Winston as a major bust.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Not sure who mentioned Bridgewater vs. Manziel after 7 quarters and their assertion that Bridgewater wouldn't be thought of as anything either. However, the stats say otherwise:

Bridgewater 31/50 467 yards 0 TD 0 INT 11 carries 54 yards 1 TD
Manziel 18/34 175 yards 0 TD 2 INT 9 carries 29 yards 1 TD

Just a bit of a difference. Of course, the Browns have the wrong guy. Again.

The Browns finally have a leader in the building. It won't be long before Jim Schwartz is in charge. Thankfully.
C
Legend
Legend
C
Judging any player, let alone a rookie, on seven quarters of play is one of the more foolish things I have seen on this board.

I can understand if you have questions about Manziel because of his off the field behavior, his work habits, his size, etc. But to say he is a bad QB because of seven quarters is completely asinine.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Dawg Duty
I agree a guy like Mariota might be worth taking a shot at if we could trade up. What I don't understand is people talking about Winston. We already have one idiot on the team in Manziel. I see Winston as a major bust.

Picking the lesser talented guy because he's "nicer" isn't a good plan IMO.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
I'd love to see the Browns take Grayson at some point around the 3rd.

There may be people who have more talent than you, but there's no excuse for anyone to work harder than you do.
-Derek Jeter
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: ThatGuy
Originally Posted By: Dawg Duty

Picking the lesser talented guy because he's "nicer" isn't a good plan IMO.

Mariota and Winston are both extremely talented. The difference is that Winston's offense has him making throws that you'd see an NFL QB make on Sunday and Mariota runs the spread. That doesn't mean Mariota is incapable of making NFL throws, it just means you can't project it as easily because he didn't do it in college.

It's not just that Mariota is "nicer", it's that he's a guy you can trust on the field and off. Winston is a potential nightmare off the field. That said, I still expect him to get picked first because as far as football goes, he has a ton of talent, is way easier to project than Mariota and is supposedly a great teammate who puts in the work. The Bucs will be able to talk themselves out of the off-field issues just like we did with Johnny.

No matter how you slice it, at least they aren't seriously lacking in both dedication and off-field behavior like the rookie currently on our roster...

We're... we're good?
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A

Take it for what it's worth but Bucky Brooks (yeah, the one that isn't very smart) doesn't agree.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000...uzzkill-players

C
Legend
Legend
C
Mannion should be ahead of everyone on his dropbacks.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
With the news breaking yesterday about the Eagles wanting to move up for Mariota I'm now curious as to whether or not Farmer is going to give them a call to see if they're willing to move Foles for some draft picks? I would be willing to trade a 2nd, 4th and 6th round draft pick to the Eagles in exchange for Foles....I might even consider the 19th overall pick if Foles were to agree to an extension (as I'm pretty sure he's a free agent in 2016). If we could make a big splash in free agency and then land a QB like Nick Foles, we could be in the best shape we've EVER been in (since returning in 1999) going into the 2015 season...

If we're going to draft a quarterback I'm still on the Bryce Petty bandwagon. After watching him in the Cotton Bowl he has completely won me over. He has good size at 6'3 229, is very mobile for his size yet doesn't run a gimmicky read option style offense. He had a very quick release and a solid deep arm (burnt Michigan State a few times). Petty has my vote and I hope that Farmer is taking a serious look at taking him in the 2nd round or even at #19...

Call up the Eagles, offer them some draft picks to move up for Mariota, an extra 2nd, 4th and 6th round pick could come in handy!!

Last edited by MrKelso; 01/21/15 10:44 AM.

"You can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave"
R
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
R
Nick Foles behind our offensive line? That would be a dream. I wanted us to draft Nick the year he came out. With him we would become a real team instantly. If we can't trade for Mariota then offer up a first for Foles. I'll give a first round pick for a proven QB any day of the week.

You can't fix stupid but you can destroy ignorance. When you destroy ignorance you remove the justifications for evil. If you want to destroy evil then educate our people. Hate is a tool of the stupid to deal with what they can't understand.
C
Legend
Legend
C
I want nothing to do with Foles. I think he is a product of Kelly's system. I would be not give up much for him.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: MrKelso
If we're going to draft a quarterback I'm still on the Bryce Petty bandwagon. After watching him in the Cotton Bowl he has completely won me over. He has good size at 6'3 229, is very mobile for his size yet doesn't run a gimmicky read option style offense. He had a very quick release and a solid deep arm (burnt Michigan State a few times). Petty has my vote and I hope that Farmer is taking a serious look at taking him in the 2nd round or even at #19...

Petty runs a gimmicky spread offense. It will be interesting to see how he does at the Senior Bowl this week.

Legend
Legend

Good post.

Projecting a player into the NFL is what scouting is all about.

For a good look at what scouts do watch the TV show:
Finding Giants.

When teams like the Ravens and Steelers draft they project players into their culture and schemes. They are able to do that because of continuity within the organization. They know what they are looking for. They look for players that fit their playing personality.

Because of the Browns merry-go-round coaching staff it is almost impossible to project players into what they do.
When you have constant change "team building" is like building mountains from sand.

Marcus Mariota has every skill necessary to become a great quarterback. But because he played for Oregon and ran their offense (to perfection) he is being discounted by the "mock media".

The team that gets Mariota will be very happy.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Mariota wasn't so perfect when he came up against a defense (Ohio State) that smacked him in the mouth!!!! tsktsk

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: MrKelso

Petty runs a gimmicky spread offense. It will be interesting to see how he does at the Senior Bowl this week.

Quote:
I’m told Browns scouting came away impressed with Baylor QB Bryce Petty after Sr Bowl interview

Link

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: PastorMarc
Mariota wasn't so perfect when he came up against a defense (Ohio State) that smacked him in the mouth!!!! tsktsk

Mariota can't play defense and catch balls. He was fine in that game. Ohio State's offense put Oregon on its back.

Legend
Legend

Check his stats.

Mariota doesn't play defense.

If you really watched the game it is not hard to figure out that the OSU won at the LOS on both sides of the ball. Especially the OL and the run game where they dominated.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: PastorMarc

Mariota can't play defense and catch balls. He was fine in that game. Ohio State's offense put Oregon on its back.

I was meaning once tOSU got them out of their "tempo" he just seemed average at best ... willynilly

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I really want to like B.Petty. He has mobility, size and a cannon arm, but everything else is a mess imho, including his accuracy.

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
Legend
Legend
Im not giving up a 1st for Foles. Because while he's played well, he's far from "proven"

I would feel a lot better about 2015 with him as the starter, then either JM or BH.

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2015 NFL Season The NFL Draft 2015 Draft Need: QB Part 2

Link Copied to Clipboard