Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 12 13
M
Legend
OP Online
Legend
M
Thought this deserved its own thread.

Browns reach out to Brian Hoyer's camp about extension

MOBILE, Ala. -- The Cleveland Browns have expressed interest in re-signing Brian Hoyer, agent Joe Linta told ESPN.com.

"We've left the door open both ways," said Linta from this week's Senior Bowl about his correspondence with the team.

Hoyer, who led the Browns to a 7-6 record in games he started but struggled late in the year, is due to meet with general manager Ray Farmer and new offensive coordinator John DeFilippo in the coming weeks. Linta said Hoyer has heard good things about DeFilippo, the former Oakland Raiders quarterbacks coach who spoke Thursday at a team press conference.

Talks between Hoyer's camp and the Browns could heat up closer to the NFL combine in late February.

Hoyer and the Browns had contract discussions over the summer that fell through, and negotiations were nonexistent during the year.

In 13 starts and one relief appearance, Hoyer completed 242 of 438 passes for 3,326 yards, 12 touchdowns and 13 interceptions. The Browns started 6-3 with minimal receiver help. Five of Hoyer's interceptions came in his first seven quarters with Josh Gordon, who returned from suspension in Week 12.

The Browns benched Hoyer in Week 13 at Buffalo, then brought him back for a 25-24 loss to the Indianapolis Colts. He was replaced by Johnny Manziel as the starter in Week 15.

Regarding an extension, Farmer said in late December that "leverage is definitely in [Hoyer's] court to make that happen," but cautioned that teams and agents don't always agree on terms.

Farmer said at the Senior Bowl he would not discuss free-agency matters.

The Browns will likely push to sign Hoyer for backup quarterback money; Hoyer's camp will want more. Farmer and coach Mike Pettine have said they'd like to give Manziel a chance to compete in training camp in 2015.

http://espn.go.com/blog/cleveland-browns...tract-extension

(getting popcorn ready)

Tackles are tackles.
F
All Pro
All Pro
F
Get it done. Sign the man and pay him what he deserves. Then focus on Oline depth and some quality receivers in the draft.

And the next head coach is ......
Legend
Legend
hoyer better take whatever he can get from us.

the browns FO and fans aren't the only ones who watched hoyer's mechanics completely go to crap mid season. we aren't the only ones who watch a "Vet" act like a a kid in the sandbox when his favorite toy(gordon) came back.

it's like we can't even get a complete QB around here. Hoyer had ice in his veins with regards to game winning drives. he HAD great decision making, even though we all know how many INT he dodged by drops from the defenders.

but he has no mobility, his arm is suspect.

then we have a guy who's super mobile, but hasn't showed ANYTHING else.

before that, we had a guy with all the typical QB stuff(weeden) but just freaking sucked.

i dunno yall.....sorry if i'm not motivated by this announcement.

of course we are reaching out to him, we don't have a choice. nobody out there is any better.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
If we don't get Hoyer signed before free agency opens, I have a feeling we'll be on the phone to Sanchez's agent immediately.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Eeny meeny miney moe.. will he stay or will he go ?

I don't care much any more.. Don't perform your, out the door..

In all serious ... I'm more interested on how Shaw will do..

Maybe Flip is the guy who can help Brian perform better and if he does start ..keep him playing well into the second half of the season..

I don't want to see a good start and horrible finish from our QB like we saw last season ever again...

E
Legend
Legend
E
From the get go I wanted Hoyer here for 2014 & 2015...that at 23 in 2016 JM could viably compete for the starting position.

Also stated Hoyer would be probably the only FA QB we would sign that would start off King of OUR HILL.

Hope we do it I will feel more secure. I mean honestly I would love to have JM beat him out for the starting QB but that means EARNING IT!

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
N
Legend
Legend
N
Originally Posted By: Swish
hoyer better take whatever he can get from us.

agreed. it still surprises me that some are so adament that we "have to re-sign him" when he is coming off arguably the worst 4-game stretch in Cleveland Browns QBing history.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: FargoFan
Get it done. Sign the man and pay him what he deserves. Then focus on Oline depth and some quality receivers in the draft.

You bet. Lets hope Hoyer is our QB for the next ten years. I don't EVER want a Browns QB to thorw more than 12 touchdowns a season. 55% completion percentage and more interceptions than touchdowns is EXACTLY what this team needs! Come on Farmer, pay Hoyer 80 million with 50 mill guaranteed.

By the way, Farmer has said on many occasions he isn't going to draft a WR. EVER. He thinks the position is useless. NOT an area of concern. He didn't draft one when he KNEW meathead was out for the season, why would you think he'd drraft one now?

#BlackLivesMatter #StopAsianHate
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: eotab
From the get go I wanted Hoyer here for 2014 & 2015...that at 23 in 2016 JM could viably compete for the starting position.

Also stated Hoyer would be probably the only FA QB we would sign that would start off King of OUR HILL.

Hope we do it I will feel more secure. I mean honestly I would love to have JM beat him out for the starting QB but that means EARNING IT!

jmho

If Johnny hype can't beat out a 55% 12 TD a season Hoyer then he's a BUST right now. Cut his ass and find someone that can. Hoyer is a backup. Period. Any QB that can't break 60% completions and throws more picks than TD's ISN'T the answer. Time to move on to someone that might be.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Farmer said the leverage or whatever was on or in Brian's favor. To me that means, you better not be expecting the money that you likely wanted at an earlier time lol!

In all seriousness though, I like it I guess. Even though he pretty much collapsed at the end of the season there, has shown his deep ball game is NOTHING to write home about and so forth - I guess not much is available in terms of free agent QB. In any case, it better not be a big chunk of $ if we resign Brian.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
There's got to be SOMEONE out there better than Hoyer. Someone that can at least thorw the ball more than 20 yards and can complete more than 55%. I'm not that picky right now. Sign a journeyman in FA and draft another QB in April. Of course, Farmer is the one that gave us Johnny Hype, so any hope that he has a CLUE about what a real QB looks like should be tempered. If passing on Bridgewater and Carr for Johnny is any indication... we are in DEEP trouble.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:
If Johnny hype can't beat out a 55% 12 TD a season Hoyer then he's a BUST right now. Cut his ass and find someone that can. Hoyer is a backup. Period. Any QB that can't break 60% completions and throws more picks than TD's ISN'T the answer. Time to move on to someone that might be.

Pretty much.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:
Farmer and coach Mike Pettine have said they'd like to give Manziel a chance to compete in training camp in 2015.

Translated-------------they want him to start.

And it explains two things:

1. It's one of the main reasons Shanny wanted out of Cleveland.

2. It will also probably spell the end of Hoyer in Cleveland.

But no, this franchise is not set up to fail. Everything is rosy and anyone who questions this team is simply wallowing in misery. notallthere

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Quote:
Farmer and coach Mike Pettine have said they'd like to give Manziel a chance to compete in training camp in 2015.

Translated-------------they want him to start.

And it explains two things:

1. It's one of the main reasons Shanny wanted out of Cleveland.

2. It will also probably spell the end of Hoyer in Cleveland.

But no, this franchise is not set up to fail. Everything is rosy and anyone who questions this team is simply wallowing in misery. notallthere

lose your faith in johnny chuckles?

being a browns fan is like taking your dog to vet every week to be put down...
V
Legend
Legend
V
I guess you haven't been reading my posts about him. I have said he has looked terrible and hasn't shown me anything in the NFL that makes me think he can play in this league.

Now, he may turn it around.....but as of right now, he looks like a dud.

R
Legend
Legend
R
Everything is rosy and anyone who questions this team is simply wallowing in misery.

I agree.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I would be fine with some other viable option at QB but I don't see one at this time. The best way to improve this team next year is to make sure we can run the ball at will. Become a much better defending the run and get pressure on the QB. These are all more doable than magically producing a franchise QB for 2015.

Hoyer on a decent three year deal makes sense to me. As limited as many of you consider Hoyer to be the team won 7 games with him as a starter. If the team can address the priorities that I mentioned then the Browns have a chance to surpass the 7 win mark.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
I guess you haven't been reading my posts about him. I have said he has looked terrible and hasn't shown me anything in the NFL that makes me think he can play in this league.

Now, he may turn it around.....but as of right now, he looks like a dud.

to be truthful. not much after you said you were going to suport him no mater what because he was a underdog. when people start talking like that it isnt worth reading what they think of the talent on the roster.

kinda like eo with lava and marcy. "just defend them because they are browns and underdogs" makes it so you cant believe one word they say about talent.

V
Legend
Legend
V
You don't have to believe me. It doesn't bother me if you do or don't.

I will defend him from unfair attacks that are based on hate and not legitimate evaluations.

However, I am not going to lie about things and say he played okay. He stunk! He looked lost! His game against the Bengals was perhaps the worst I have ever seen and his second start was not much better.

Now, if you wanna just make this personal.........go ahead, but I did try to answer your question as best and as honestly as I could.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
I can support an underdog like no one else can ... if they are working the hardest and doing the most they can to become better. Rich, entitled, party boys who lie through their teeth don't warrant my support.

I judge a man by his deeds and not his words. I don't think Pettine has the time to let Johnny grow up. That being said the best way to probably make Johnny grow up or quit is to make him the starter. Let him feel the wrath of an entire area and I bet he gets tired of sucking it up REAL FAST. No amount of money can hide that kind of shame.

You can't fix stupid but you can destroy ignorance. When you destroy ignorance you remove the justifications for evil. If you want to destroy evil then educate our people. Hate is a tool of the stupid to deal with what they can't understand.
R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted By: Razorthorns
I judge a man by his deeds and not his words. I don't think Pettine has the time to let Johnny grow up. That being said the best way to probably make Johnny grow up or quit is to make him the starter. Let him feel the wrath of an entire area and I bet he gets tired of sucking it up REAL FAST. No amount of money can hide that kind of shame.

I suspect he wouldn't really care.

You had the networks shuffling their schedules to get him on TV, and he embarrassed himself on a national stage at a pretty epic level.

The next week he missed treatment because of a party.

That doesn't sound to me like someone who cares if he is embarrassed or not.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Quote:
I will defend him from unfair attacks that are based on hate and not legitimate evaluations.

what hate? his off field conduct is a wreck. his play on the field is a wreck. his study and film watch is a wreck. just tell me where all this unfair attacks are. heck the guy said he is not changing for any one. personal? the fact is when people like you start talking about protecting players only because you feel they are being picked on instead of pure football it more than less makes you a liar. not only to the board but yourself too. jmo.

not personal to me one bit. i dont do personal. just want you to be the great poster you were like on the other board. the no BS what you truly think poster you were. jmo. and take it for what its worth. not much i would think. rofl

Legend
Legend
I view Hoyer as better than Manziel or anything that we could get in the draft to immediately help

Sign him to a 2-3 year incentive-laden deal if possible.

If another team steps to the plate with a guaranteed contract then I'd say goodbye

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
E
Legend
Legend
E
Lava you have not proven me wrong. Own up.
Marecic it didn't take me too long to agree and I did and owned up before he was an ex Brown.

So what are you saying my opinion don't count? Cause I'm a Homer? So many here have their reasons on what they say and why. I love the experts who know that JM is a bust. If he is we will move on and get another until then I want to see what happens. In my eyes from the get go and I know Farmer + knew he was not a step in and start QB and was a project. Ergo the need of a Bridge QB. I don't know if Hoyer can be that starter...I do know he can start games and be reliable.

jmho

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
While this sounds like good news for Hoyer, the truth is there is nothing to stop the Browns from forcing Hoyer out by "low balling" him.

I look for that to happen and our front office to say they tried to sign Hoyer, but could not get together on numbers.

Haslam and Farmer can still manipulate the roster so their Johnny boy doesn't have to compete with Hoyer for the starting job.

If Johnny is as good as some think, he should have no problem taking the job away from Hoyer, right?

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
B
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
B
Originally Posted By: mac
While this sounds like good news for Hoyer, the truth is there is nothing to stop the Browns from forcing Hoyer out by "low balling" him.
How much do you consider a low ball offer and how much would you offer him?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: bg819
... how much would you offer him?

I'm sure others have said before that the money offered would depend on whether you see him as a starter or a backup. You certainly aren't going to pay Hoyer 8-10 million to ride the pine...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Not that Hoyer, or a majority of qbs who've played for the Browns, are better than good enough, but I'm a little reluctant to judge ANY qb based on his success with THIS team.

I would be OK if Hoyer signed, even if it's a little more than back-up money, but I'd prefer finding a free agent, if possible, and have the 3 compete.

The trouble I see with my idea is I'm not sure Manziel can play in any offense that's not specifically designed for his talents or lack of talents.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
I view Hoyer as better than Manziel

I view Connor Shaw as better than Manziel, no sarcasm either.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Dawg_LB

Based on what we saw at the end of last season, I believe that is accurate. JM's upside is probably greater than Shaw's however...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: Spiritbro77
There's got to be SOMEONE out there better than Hoyer. Someone that can at least thorw the ball more than 20 yards and can complete more than 55%. I'm not that picky right now. Sign a journeyman in FA and draft another QB in April. Of course, Farmer is the one that gave us Johnny Hype, so any hope that he has a CLUE about what a real QB looks like should be tempered. If passing on Bridgewater and Carr for Johnny is any indication... we are in DEEP trouble.

My guess is that they go after Mark Sanchez in free agency if they can't get Hoyer back. I think it's even more likely now that the new OC is Sanchez's former QB coach when they were in New York together.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: Dawg_LB

Chad Pennington right now has a better arm than Shaw. Shaw is not the answer and never will be. Sorry.

Legend
Legend
Convinced we can do more with him than without him. Paying him isn't playing him. Lock him up and do the dumb competition dance if you want. We need a known temp at least. If JM can be a project, so be it. Nail down the known if we can. The top doesn't seem sold on JM.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
Legend
Think the "Johnny Hype" decision is separate from Hoyer decision. And maybe much more pressing than the other. I favor moving on with something known; mechanics can be fixed; not sure it is the same with attitude.

Don't see another "competition" helping. Get to a known set and go with it. And ignore the lip service and hype.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
Legend
I was pleased with Shaw. All this upside talk about JM is accurate and true, but if it isn't on the field and realized, it is pointless and academic.

To crack on Shaw with little prep time and give JM a pass for miserable outing is wrong IMO.

M
Legend
OP Online
Legend
M
j'c:

I think Hoyer can be a "silent contributor".

Tackles are tackles.
P
Legend
Legend
P
I haven't given up on JM but his off the field antics have got to stop or his talent on the field is mute ... superconfused

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
E
Legend
Legend
E
I think what the top isn't sold on is the work needed to be done to make the transition. I think they are still sold on his tools. They are not sure if he will go the extra yard.

Mac not everyone associated with the Browns are playing this sly game of illusions.

We are reaching out to Hoyer for one reason only. We see him as an asset to the team. Low Ball - if you mean did Hoyer earn a Dalton type of contract...no he hasn't.

Has he earned a 3 mil contract with Incentives if he is our Starting QB for the season? half the season? Yes he has earned that...not much more.

On Manziel being a one trick pony. The kid has to transition to an entirely different game period. "IF" he can make the NFL transition then he can do it in any system brought in. This Manziel special play book needed is WRONG. It was wrong last year and it would be wrong this year.

Shaw. Good QB - great mind - just doesn't have that arm to succeed, average can succeed he is not close to average.

jmho

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
" did Hoyer earn a Dalton type of contract..."

Dalton didn't earn his Dalton sized contract. Lol

[Linked Image]
N
Legend
Legend
N
Originally Posted By: mac
If Johnny is as good as some think, he should have no problem taking the job away from Hoyer, right?

one doesn't have to have faith in Manziel to acknowledge how badly Hoyer played his last 4 starts.

#gmstrong
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 12 13
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns reach out to Brian Hoyer's camp about extension

Link Copied to Clipboard