Next Thread
Print Thread
#91988 04/29/07 11:12 PM
H
All Pro
OP Offline
All Pro
H
First, thanks Toad for the nick for shaffer.

I just saw a little tidbit on KFFL

Browns | Shaffer could try guard
Sun, 29 Apr 2007 11:33:31 -0700

Tony Grossi, of the Cleveland Plain Dealer, reports Cleveland Browns OT Kevin Shaffer may be used at right guard, if he loses his left tackle job to OT Joe Thomas.

go ahead and laugh about IF he loses his job to joe thomas. i'm not sure he'd make a good guard he looked like he had cement shoes on all the time, had poor awareness, and lets face it, he sucked.

There is also a rumbling on the other board about him being possibly traded to the giants. what do you think? tuck still has the RT position?

We're trying to throw the ball downfield and he checked the ball down to Trent Richardson and the Indians on the choice.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
If we plan on putting Shaffer at guard, we may as well just unload the guy as soon as we get a decent replacement - he'd be grossly overpaid at guard. I still think he slots in as RT and Tucker ends up moving to guard. Either way, we should have enough depth that if someone doesn't work out, we have options.

We're... we're good?
P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

There is also a rumbling on the other board about him being possibly traded to the giants. what do you think? tuck still has the RT position?

Well,back to my "business" angle.

You have an employee who lost almost half of last years "production days" (games) due to illness. Now? That employee "says to" and "seems to" be fine.

But do you count on that? Do you put your "production" on the line for that? Or do you hedge your bet by keeping "option B" on standbye?

Then there's the $$$$ angle. If you look at how much we have invested in that OL,you might tend to feel if you CAN trade Shaffer,you are using practical cost cutting measures.

Now given those two options,I'll take option 1 and keep Shaffer at least one more year. Why? Because we are still way under the cap and have room to make additional signings if needed and available without trading him.
The only acception I can see,is if we get a fair exchange for a playerwhere we still HAVE great need. ie......DL. Then I could see option 2 as far more likely.

JMHO

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
it's a result of the Phil & RAC conference yesterday. When RAC was asked about Tuck & Shaffer, he responded that "we'll try them all at the different spots". He was asked if Shaffer would/could be moved to guard.. RAC says "we'll try him and see what we got"... same thing when asked about Tucker at Guard.

Him getting traded? I doubt it, though I guess it's possible.

We gave him $36 million over seven years ($9.335 million in bonuses).
His salary info:
2006 585000.00
2007 815000.00
2008 2900000.00
2009 2650000.00
2010 2900000.00
2011 3400000.00
2012 3400000.00
SubTotal: 13.25 M
Bonuses: 9.335 M

Total 22.585 M

That leaves roughly 13.5 million unaccounted for in that $36M contract.
So, any team trading for him would give up something to get him and absord almost $13M in salaries and $13.5M in what is likely roster & workout bonuses on a 6 year contract.... and all of what remains of that $ 9.335M in bonus money accellerates onto this year's Cap.

I just don't see it happening.
I see him moving to RT and Tuck moving inside to RG, unless Bentley is back, then Bentley would be inside and I think Shaffer would be a super-sub at both tackle spots (unless of course Bents goes to Center, then it's Tuck at RG and Shaffer at RT with Fraley backing up Bentley.

Damned if I know, except it's a damnedf nice problem to have to figure out

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Homer........I aims to please It's painful that such a nickname is entirely too fitting, but at least his replacement is on board

Here's how I view this thing.

Giants need a tackle. We just displaced Necktie and apparently have Tucker returning. The Giants talked to the Browns at some point during the draft while casually discussing a trade. Necktie came up during that conversation.

If the Browns got a good enough offer to dump him and eat the cap hit, sure, why not? If the Giants aren't that desperate, we keep the original gameplan (that I've harped since the day we signed him *L*) of shifting him over to right tackle when we can acquire a REAL left tackle.

Do with him what you will Savage. If the Giants are stOOpid enough to give you a 1st day draft pick for him, eat the $7+ mil hit and dump the stiff. We'll be able to snag a June 1 cut to play guard or right tackle in a pinch.

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Exactly. Trading Shaffer may not have been foremost in the minds of the front office, but I'm sure the Giants, or anyone else, could put together an offer that would make Savage drive him to the airport. We can afford the cap hit this year, so for the right offer he could go.

On the other thread (Shaffer Trade) an article was posted about how he never played RT in the league so who knows if he could. He played LT for a left handed QB, so I really don't see how he couldn't play RT. I think he'd make a better RT than LT. And I also remember after we signed him last offseason there was some blurb about how he'd make an excellent guard. Maybe that's where he's best?

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum necktie discussion

Link Copied to Clipboard