C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Quote:
“A bad Senior Bowl performance,” Farmer said, “doesn't ruin any player.”

Too bad a bad Pro Day did.

Indeed. Anyone who would take any of the other rookie QBs over Bridgewater as this point is delusional.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Quote:

Indeed. Anyone who would take any of the other rookie QBs over Bridgewater as this point is delusional.

I would of taken Garrappolo.

Hell if we were in position, I would of taken Bortles.. I think he could of been somewhat productive behind our line..

Plus lets not pretend Teddy is already great..

Code:
13 Games        14 Games        16 Games
259 of 402      242 of 438      348 of 599
2,919 yards     3,326 yards     3,270 yards
64.4 %	        55.3 %          58.1
7.26 avg        7.59 avg        5.46
14 TDs          12 TDs          21 TDs
12 INTs         13 INTs         12 INTs
50.2 QBR        43.1 QBR        38.4 QBR
85.2 RTG        76.5 RTG        76.6 RTG

He has solid numbers.. but comparable..

Teddy.. Hoyer.. Carr..

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
C
Legend
Legend
C
Guys who start out like Bortles don't usually succeed. Bridgewater is on a good trajectory. Garoppolo is a complete unknown at this point. Carr could go either way.

Legend
Legend
I feel bad for Bortles.

And not just because of what he has to wear on gamedays..

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
I'd take Jimmy over Teddy anytime.

You can't fix stupid but you can destroy ignorance. When you destroy ignorance you remove the justifications for evil. If you want to destroy evil then educate our people. Hate is a tool of the stupid to deal with what they can't understand.
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Razorthorns

Based on what? Bridgewater has a sample of pretty good play in the NFL. Garoppolo has nothing.

Take the sure thing over the projection every time.

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Teddy also has jack around him and plays in an Air Coryell system that is a talent based offense (Which is why it worked here in 2007). He's just starting to grow.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: ThatGuy
I feel bad for Bortles.

Because he was selected way too high and forced into action too soon?

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C

Based on what? Bridgewater has a sample of pretty good play in the NFL. Garoppolo has nothing.

I think the real funny thing here is that Garoppolo's projection wasn't even higher than Bridgewater's.

That said, I think Garopollo will be the 2nd best QB in the draft class.

Legend
Legend
I feel bad for Bortles.

Because he was selected way too high and forced into action too soon?

Basically.. add in all that while being on a crappy team..

E
Legend
Legend
E
Not that I count...but I was totally fooled by that pro day. Weather was pretty good this year so possibly the dangers are there? But for two years I thought Teddy was the next great QB - thought we didn't have a shot at him and then that Pro-Day fiasco...I have to remember to stick to my tape and not stuff that happens after football is over. Of course 31 other teams basically passed him over too.

The real losers besides us - Texans who I thought he was going to and who was a pick or maybe 2 away from a chance to take him.

jmho...I read what Farmer stated and I cannot understand why they did take JM knowing what we know now. JM does say all the right things, in this case the interview probably influenced us greatly.

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
A
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

And to flip this, anyone that would take Bridgewater over Bortles or Carr is delusional.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: anarchy2day

on my phone right now so i need to wait to hit the link.

is it a dartboard? or do they just flip coins?

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
C
Legend
Legend
C
Bortles just had one of the worst rookie seasons in the history of the league. History shows that almost no one rebounds from that (Stafford is pretty much the only one).

Legend
Legend
Bortles just had one of the worst rookie seasons in the history of the league. History shows that almost no one rebounds from that (Stafford is pretty much the only one).

Yeah, but who saw that coming?

And really, it's got little to nothing to do with the team he is on, other than he had to play. They have plenty of talent at WR and TE, they have a terrific front 7, and their run game picked up quite a bit starting with our game.

The Jags have been bad for years the same reason we have. Bad QBs.

N
Legend
Legend
N
Originally Posted By: clevesteve

Yeah, but who saw that coming?

I am guessing you are being facetious (as both Bortles and his college coach said he wasn't ready to start his first year). But, since not all will get it, I'll continue.

cfrs and myself were pretty adamantly against Bortles.

Considering that JAX tried to make him a mostly pocket QB, you also saw it coming. You had him #9 as a pocket-QB and #4 as a mobile-QB.

https://www.dawgtalkers.net/ubbthreads.php/topics/868714/2

I mean, yeah, they had him run a few times a game. But, mostly, they tried to have him sit back there, read and make the throws. He was not ready to do that at all this year.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I think Bortles in our Weeks 1-10 offense would of done well..

Play action, roll outs, a couple reads, etc..

Maybe even better than Hoyer at times with a better arm..

C
Legend
Legend
C
Blake Bortles cannot read a defense. He does not have great arm strength. He was destined to fail the second the Jaguars took him.

Legend
Legend
How many rookies come in being able to read defenses well?

Our offense wasn't that complicated reads wise in the beginning..

And are you saying he was destined to fail, or destined to fail because he was picked by Jax?

C
Legend
Legend
C

In last year's draft there were several. Bridgewater, Murray, and McCarron come to mind.

Our offense wasn't that complicated reads wise in the beginning..

Once the plays were happening, no. What about presnap? How much work did Hoyer do to get us in the right play call?

And are you saying he was destined to fail, or destined to fail because he was picked by Jax?

Both. Bortles was overrated because he looked like a QB. People fall in love with the measurables. Bortles arm strength and accuracy were both lacking and he was not ready for an NFL offense.

P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
And to flip this, anyone that would take Bridgewater over Bortles or Carr is delusional.

That's not true in the slightest.

Legend
Legend

In last year's draft there were several. Bridgewater, Murray, and McCarron come to mind.

Did Murray and McCarran even play this year?

I was talking about reading NFL defenses. Reading a college defense means nothing..

C
Legend
Legend
C
Based on what they did in college and what people said about them my guess is that they can.

Either way, not knowing if they can read a defense is better than knowing Bortles can't and probably will not.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I think it is too early to give a final grade on Bortles.

Legend
Legend

Then it is too early to give a final grade on any QB.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?a...e&Submit=Go

C
Legend
Legend
C

I agree. But the history of the league says that players that perform like him in their first year don't usually pan out.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Of course it is. Was I saying otherwise?

V
Legend
Legend
V
I think Bortles has some skills. If you remember, I brought him up on the board quite a bit before the national media started talking about him. I was hoping he would be there in the 3rd round. He was my sleeper guy, but I admitted that he would probably sky rocket up the charts.

I always claimed that he was the one guy who would benefit most from sitting for two years. I still believe that.

He has some talent. He really needs how to read the deep safety. LOL............it gives him fits. Always has.

I am not one of those guys that will say I guarantee he makes it. I just think that he does have some skills and he also needs some time to work on things. I will say that he has a chance.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R

I don't have anything against Teddy. I even wanted to draft him if we couldn't get Jimmy. Teddy had a decent first year especially given all the drama with Peterson. I mean he did OK.

When Jimmy had the chance to play against 1st team as the starter in the third game of the preseason(they wanted to rest Brady) He played great. I am not going to hold it against Jimmy that he has to sit behind a Hall of Famer. He has the skill set to be a great QB and sitting behind Brady will pay huge dividends for Jimmy.

I think once Jimmy is a starter he will be a great QB and the best QB of his draft. I think Teddy and Carr will do good too. Carr just needs a good offensive line.

You can't fix stupid but you can destroy ignorance. When you destroy ignorance you remove the justifications for evil. If you want to destroy evil then educate our people. Hate is a tool of the stupid to deal with what they can't understand.
V
Legend
Legend
V
I think you are wrong on a few accounts:

--Teddy did more than okay. He played w/the perhaps the worst OL in football. He lost AP [as you acknowledged,] and his best WR in the second half of the year was Charles Johnson...a guy we cut in TC.

--Preseason games don't mean squat. I am not knocking Jimmy, but he had done absolutely nothing for anyone to say he is the best qb in that draft.

--Carr had a very good OL. He was afforded way more time than Teddy. When he was pressured, his flaws were exposed. With that said, I thought the kid had a pretty good rookie year playing w/a team that was pretty crappy overall. I think he does have a future in this league. I might have been too harsh on him prior to the draft.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Farmer... just take what you did for JF, everything... reverse that and we are already in a better standing to pick a QB we can get some production out of and not have to read his name in headlines every other week.

Please, and thank you.

A
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
A
Both. Bortles was overrated because he looked like a QB. People fall in love with the measurables. Bortles arm strength and accuracy were both lacking and he was not ready for an NFL offense.

Bortles will be just fine. His biggest problem has been the team that he is on and the coaching staff that they have.

Still, Bortles will come out doing fine if the Jaguars do the things around him that they need to do.

It's true that Bortles probably shouldn't have been the one leading the team from the first snap, but that's what he was pretty much asked to do. He was put into a similar situation as Tim Couch. If Jax develops the team around him, they'll do just fine. The question is whether they will have the time, and if they do whether they'll make the correct decisions.

A
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
A
Originally Posted By: PDR

That's not true in the slightest.

We should take your view because....?

A
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
A

I agree. But the history of the league says that players that perform like him in their first year don't usually pan out.

Like, Peyton Manning... or Troy Aikman... or a pile of other current and former NFL QBs?

C
Legend
Legend
C

Like, Peyton Manning... or Troy Aikman... or a pile of other current and former NFL QBs?

No. More like Blaine Gabbert and Jimmy Clausen and Brandon Weeden and Bruce Gradkowski.

Manning and Aikman started in an era that was not nearly as conducive to passing the football. . . and their numbers are similar to what Bortles did in 2014.

If Bortles turns it around he will be the only QB (besides Matthew Stafford) to have a season as bad as he did and turn it around since 2006. Bortles was really, really bad.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Just looked where I had ranked the QBs as stated I had Bridgewater as the first QB in the draft.

1. Teddy value 1st round
2. Manziel value 1st round
3. Carr value 2nd round (but probably will go 1st depending on how fast the first two get taken)
4. Bortles value 2nd ( " )
5. Garapolo value 2nd - could sneak in the first if there is a run.
6. McCarron - 3rd probably will go in the 2nd.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
A
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
A

No. More like Blaine Gabbert and Jimmy Clausen and Brandon Weeden and Bruce Gradkowski.

Manning and Aikman started in an era that was not nearly as conducive to passing the football. . . and their numbers are similar to what Bortles did in 2014.

If Bortles turns it around he will be the only QB (besides Matthew Stafford) to have a season as bad as he did and turn it around since 2006. Bortles was really, really bad.

You're talking about auspicious starts to NFL careers. I see though, you have your examples and don't like the ones that fit your definition that I used.

Alright. We'll have to agree to disagree.

I'll say this though, if Bortles were offered in a trade, Jax would get a lot of offers and probably would include a good number of 1st rounders in those offers. I'm sure that the Steelers would love to have him become available.

He had 56 rushes for 419 yards (7.5 ypc) and Russell Wilson had 51 rushes for 477 yards (7.8 ypc).

Legend
Legend

You know when Farmer was interviewed last year at the Senior Bowl (before Banner was fired and he was named GM). I really liked what he had to say. He sounded logical. Like a true scout.

Then when Banner and Lombardi were let go and they named Farmer GM; I was very optimistic. Never in a million years did I think he would draft Manziel over Bridgewater.

Now here we are.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2015 NFL Season The NFL Draft 2015 Ray Farmer on how he evaluates college DL and QBs

Link Copied to Clipboard