Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
The dark cloud over Cleveland continues....

Cleveland Browns and GM Ray Farmer facing possible suspension, fine, loss of draft pick for 'Textgate'

February 04, 2015 at 11:59 AM, updated February 04, 2015 at 12:12 PM

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- The Browns and general manager Ray Farmer are facing possible sanctions from the NFL for "Textgate," including a multigame suspension for Farmer, and a fine and loss of draft pick for the Browns, league sources told Northeast Ohio Media Group.

NEOMG reported on Jan. 6 that a Browns "high-ranking personnel member texted from the press box to the sidelines about playcalls'' during a game, which was one of the reasons former offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan, now with the Falcons, felt that working for the Browns had become dysfunctional for him.

Multiple league sources have told NEOMG that Farmer was the high-ranking personnel member who violated the NFL's electronic use policy by the impermissible texting. Those messages were then apparently relayed to the coaches.

The NFL investigated the improper texts, and are prepared to announce sanctions within the next couple of weeks. A resolution could come as early as this week, but probably no later than three weeks.

Farmer is facing a multigame suspension -- as many as three or four games -- and the Browns are facing the loss of a draft pick if the probe, conducted by in-house NFL executives, shows that Farmer acted improperly.

Farmer, asked by NEOMG at the Senior Bowl in Mobile, Ala., on Jan. 21 if he texted from the press level to the sidelines during a game, said "I can't comment on that. The league is investigating.''

A Browns spokesman reiterated Wednesday that the club has done everything the league has asked and is awaiting results of the probe.

The Browns have never denied that such texts occurred, and coach Mike Pettine revealed during a press conference on Jan. 22 that investigators had already come to Cleveland to question members of the organization.

At the Greater Cleveland Sports Award ceremony later that night, Browns owner Jimmy Haslam stressed that the club was cooperating fully.

"I know that Ray and Pett and Sashi Brown, our general counselor, are cooperating fully with the NFL, and if we did anything wrong I'm sure we'll correct it and make whatever amends,'' he said. "I know we've cooperated fully with the NFL."

"Textgate'' was the first of three scandals that have erupted over the past month that impact the integrity of the game, and the NFL is taking all three very seriously.

The second was "Deflategate,'' the controversy over the Patriots deflating footballs during their AFC Championship Game victory over the Colts. And the third was the Falcons pumping artificial crowd noise into the Georgia Dome over the past two seasons, which owner Arthur Blank admitted to on Tuesday.

The NFL is likely to wrap up all three investigations within the next three weeks.

"It's not really a fine line," Blank told The Associated Press. "I think what we've done in 2013 and 2014 was wrong. Anything that affects the competitive balance and fairness on the field, we're opposed to, as a league, as a club and as an owner. It's obviously embarrassing but beyond embarrassing it doesn't represent our culture and what we're about."

Blank told the AP that he knew enough about the investigation to own up to the allegations.

"We've gotten some information from the league but until we read the full report and until they publish their findings, we can't be totally clear. We've talked to a lot of people and we've cooperated and we'll be anxious to read the report."

During his Super Bowl press conference last week, Commissioner Roger Goodell stressed the importance of protecting the game's integrity.

"This is my job," Goodell said in response to a question about Deflate-gate. "This is my responsibility to protect the integrity of the game. I represent 32 teams. All of us want to make sure that the rules are being followed. And if we have any information where the potential is that those rules were violated, I have to pursue that. And I have to pursue that aggressively.

"So this is my job. This is the job of the league office. It is what all 32 clubs expect and I believe our partners and fans expect. We will do it vigorously and it is important for it to be thorough and fair."

The Browns' Textgate investigation comes at a difficult time for the club. Their first-round quarterback, Johnny Manziel, checked himself into a rehab facility last Wednesday for a possible dependence on alcohol; and their All-Pro receiver, Josh Gordon, was suspended for a minimum of a year.

Link

Legend
Legend
OK,I have a dumb question.

What difference is there in having someone text the sidelines, or having the owner on the sidelines, as I seem to recall having happened with Jerry Jones?

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
We can't catch a break.

β€œTo announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Most people believed it was Farmer.. Losing a draft pick would really suck

M
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
M
Y'know Ray, if you wanted to have that much influence on the game you could have just gone down to the sidelines and all would be well-as far as the rules are concerned.

We're already worried that Jimmy might be the next Jerry Jones, we don't need you trying to do that too.

WE DON'T NEED A QB BEFORE WE GET A LINE THAT CAN PROTECT HIM
my two cents...
C
Legend
Legend
C
What an idiot.

I apologize to all who have said Farmer is a buffoon. You were right. I was wrong.

When will it stop?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:
When will it stop?

When we blow up the Stadium.. bulldozer it into Lake Erie and all of us Dawgtalkers Build our own Stadium and team ooo

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
What an idiot. I apologize to all who have said Farmer is a buffoon. You were right. I was wrong. When will it stop?

When Cleveland has COMPETENT management...if ever. SMH

The Browns finally have a leader in the building. It won't be long before Jim Schwartz is in charge. Thankfully.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I hate to admit it, but your right. I had high hopes for Ray, still do....but watching him anymore he seems like a mad kid afraid your going to take away his lunch money. I also wonder, doesn't he sit next to Haslem at games? I wonder if jimmy had him send the texts?

Dawginit since Jan. 24, 2000 Member #180
You can't fix yesterday but you can learn for tomorrow
#GMSTRONG

I want to do it as a Cleveland Brown because that's who I am.”
M
Legend
Legend
M
I'm starting a petition to bring back Tom Heckert. More info forthcoming.

smile

Tackles are tackles.
C
Legend
Legend
C
Is it good or bad that Ray Farmer might get suspended? A real punishment might be to make us keep him.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
I just dont get it I guess. There are headsets, phones, wireless tablets and who only knows what else to communicate. Why bother breaking a rule and sending a text.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Arps
I just dont get it I guess. There are headsets, phones, wireless tablets and who only knows what else to communicate. Why bother breaking a rule and sending a text.

Because you are an idiot.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
wow...thanks

C
Legend
Legend
C
wow...thanks

Not you as in you. You as in Farmer is an idiot. That didn't come out right.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
lol, ok gotcha

D
Legend
Legend
D
Great, so our scout and draft personnel needs to worry about the play calling too? Shouldn't they be judging talent and not play calling? Don't they have enough work to do to try to find a franchises Qb?

This is very shameful.

Legend
Legend
Haven't we been forfeiting draft picks for years already? Shouldn't the punishment be that the NFL gives us more draft picks?

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Originally Posted By: brownsfansince79
Haven't we been forfeiting draft picks for years already? Shouldn't the punishment be that the NFL gives us more draft picks?

That would be fitting.. make the idiots show how incompetent they are by forcing them to make more draft picks. :[/color]
They could trade the picks to Jacksonville for that 1st round receiver they have.. someone named Blackmon.. banghead[color:#CC33CC]

Last edited by Halfback32; 02/04/15 02:58 PM.

The Cleveland Browns - WE KNOW QUARTERBACKS ( Look at how many we've had ... )
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
wow...thanks

Not you as in you. You as in Farmer is an idiot. That didn't come out right.

I thought that was kind of harsh... LOL.

Yep Farmer has turned into a buffoon.

#gmstrong

A smart person knows what to say.

A wise person knows whether or not to say it.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Well I'm getting more answers as to why Shanahan felt the need to leave. It's looking more and more like the inmates are running the asylum. The more I hear the more sorry I feel for Pettine.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I feel as though I've been abducted by evil clowns- and forced to ride in their trunk for fifteen years. Either I find a way to pick the lock and jump out.... or I'm going over the cliff with all of them.

There is no end in sight.
It's always something different- but it's ALWAYS something.

banghead

"too many notes, not enough music-"

#GMStong
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
I'm starting a petition to bring back Tom Heckert. More info forthcoming.

smile

well he is still looking for a GM job. but after ruining a eagles team and a browns team there doesnt seam to be any takers. brownie

being a browns fan is like taking your dog to vet every week to be put down...
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: Clemdawg
I feel as though I've been abducted by evil clowns- and forced to ride in their trunk for fifteen years. Either I find a way to pick the lock and jump out.... or I'm going over the cliff with all of them.

There is no end in sight.
It's always something different- but it's ALWAYS something.

banghead

I've equated it to being attacked by a bear. All we can do is roll in a ball and hope the mauling stops. We're completely powerless.

[Linked Image]
N
Legend
Legend
N
j/c

Drafted: Bitonio, Kirksey, West, even Desir showed promise

UDFA: Crowell, Taylor Gabriel, K'Waun Williams, Glenn Winston and Connor Shaw

FA/waiver: Hawkins, Austin, Dansby, Whitner, Leonard, and possibly a steal in Michael Bowie

====================

That is a great first year, which is amazing because it involves no real production from 2 1st round picks and no true big name FA signings (depending on how you feel about Dansby and I guess Whitner).

I don't want him talking with coaches on gamedays either (his job is long-term, let the coaches coach). But, as far as the transactions read, so far, so good overall.

Haslam needs to step in here and tell him he's an idiot for that part and to get back to what he apparently is pretty good at doing (getting talent on the team).

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I'd happily sacrifice a mid rounder to get rid of Farmer forever.

And while we're at it: I'd invest both first rounders to get rid of Haslam. It would be totally worth it.

There was a time where us Brownsfans only had "hope" and I was very vocal that it can't be enough. Man, right now, we don't even have "hope" left. Looks like just the start of prolonged "hell" under Haslam's ownership.

Too bad I can't go root for Buffalo superconfused

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker

Quote:
Haslam needs to step in here and tell him he's an idiot for that part and to get back to what he apparently is pretty good at doing (getting talent on the team).

I hope your right. But I'm concerned it might have been Haslam telling him to text the sidelines. IMO Haslam needs to step back and let the coaches coach.

Dawginit since Jan. 24, 2000 Member #180
You can't fix yesterday but you can learn for tomorrow
#GMSTRONG

I want to do it as a Cleveland Brown because that's who I am.”
N
Legend
Legend
N
Originally Posted By: bleednbrown

Quote:

I hope your right. But I'm concerned it might have been Haslam telling him to text the sidelines. IMO Haslam needs to step back and let the coaches coach.

well, then Haslam's wife needs to slap him upside the head. someone needs a good head slapping here smile

#gmstrong
P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:
And while we're at it: I'd invest both first rounders to get rid of Haslam. It would be totally worth it.

If that were possible, I'd do it without hesitation.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: no_logo_required
j/c

Drafted: Bitonio, Kirksey, West, even Desir showed promise

UDFA: Crowell, Taylor Gabriel, K'Waun Williams, Glenn Winston and Connor Shaw

FA/waiver: Hawkins, Austin, Dansby, Whitner, Leonard, and possibly a steal in Michael Bowie

phenominal

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
no logo, wish I had your optimism, but that list is shabby. It contains 3 above AVG starters at their respective positions, TWO of them bought mercenaries in their 30s now (with all due respect for Dansby and Whitner who haven't slacked despite their payday), the rest mostly aren't even 3 down players. Lots of backups and situational players.

Farmer held the best hand last offseason. Most money in FA and many draft picks...and that's all he's come up with? A couple of months ago, I compared his offseason aquisitions to Ozzie's for the Ravens, who didn't have ANY cap room and not even half the draft pick value. Don't let me dig it out again. All of you might get eye cancer reading it. Ozzie totally owned Farmer, so did many other GMs around the league with much LESS to work with.

That list is depressing considering the possibilities.

#gmstrong

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
J/C

I'm torn on this one. On one hand, I'm thinking here's a guy at the top supposed to be setting an example. He's out there talking about changing the culture and things like that, yet he blatantly disregards rules that could jeopardize the team with draft picks. That hand is saying, fire his butt and stop this crap right now. The buck should stop with Haslam to let everyone know that this type of behavior won't be tolerated.

On the other hand, I'm thinking he made a mistake, will be punished and should be allowed to move on. At the very least, I'd think he should be on thin ice - as in someone from the first round in this draft better perform!

There may be people who have more talent than you, but there's no excuse for anyone to work harder than you do.
-Derek Jeter
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Haslam has already shown us what he thinks of "rules" with his FJ fraud.

Perfect and totally believable role model to talk to JM and Gordon about being "straight". superconfused

#gmstrong

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
OK,I have a dumb question.

What difference is there in having someone text the sidelines, or having the owner on the sidelines, as I seem to recall having happened with Jerry Jones?

One is allowed, the other isn't. Go figure.

Anyway, it's a stupid thing to have done.

He deserves to be punished if guilty.

#GMSTRONG

β€œEveryone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
N
Legend
Legend
N
I'm not saying that he's the best GM in the NFL. Far from it.

But, he did a good job in his 1st year IMO. Even the fill-in depth guys (Austin, Leonard) did pretty well.

Sure, if he picks OBJ & Bridgewater, then we are all happier today, but I don't think he did bad at his primary job.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Someone get Haslam on tape making racist remarks!

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I hate this team.

I really mean that.

A
Legend
Legend
A
Originally Posted By: TopDawg16
I hate this team.

I really mean that.

Follow the money........

Perhaps the problem is Haslem Haslam thinks he can sit in on a few meetings, tell people what to do - and expects that will fix things. He's an ego billionaire. That's what he does.

H
All Pro
All Pro
H
Originally Posted By: TopDawg16
I hate this team.

I really mean that.

Hate is a strong word, but I almost have to agree. To have this come out after raising prices is just.... priceless.

We're trying to throw the ball downfield and he checked the ball down to Trent Richardson and the Indians on the choice.
E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted By: DeisleDawg
Most people believed it was Farmer.. Losing a draft pick would really suck

Yeah agreed. 5th round or later ehhh won't really hurt. Losing him for 3-5 games. That shouldn't matter much.

I guess he thought he knew the rules and as long as he text somebody that was on the side lines it didn't count.

tsktsk rookie mistake. Fired no way, didn't read any posts but he can't make bone head mistakes like this.

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Farmer Responsible For Text To Sidelines: Browns Coud Lose Draft Picks

Link Copied to Clipboard