Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Legend
OP Online
Legend

There is titled post that I put up about Hundley.

Honestly I have barely looked at him. People are all over the range with him. Some think he is not even draftable. Others see him as the third quarterback taken at the end of the first round or top of the second.

College quarterbacks are not easy to decipher. Not many colleges run a pro style offense. So it becomes very difficult to evaluate the players coming from those non-pro offenses. You don't get to see them executing plays that they will have too in the NFL.

You have to forecast their development.

Hundley has all the physical requirements. He throws a nice ball with a quick release. Of course there is a lot more to it than that.

As the draft approaches more and more will come out. Plus for me I will look further under the hood.

C
Legend
Legend
C
So Cardale Jones was solely responsible for Ohio State's title?

C
Legend
Legend
C
I would like to know which games you have watched that make you think Hundley should be a first round pick.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: mac
We need all our draft picks and Hundley could be available to the Browns without moving up.

Yeah.. In the 3rd round..

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Legend
Legend
Quote:
In regards to Johnny Manziel and A&M, did he ever win the college football championship? No? Isn't that the goal?

So Cardale Jones would have won the national championship with the 121st ranked defense in the country?

yebat' Putin
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
So Cardale Jones was solely responsible for Ohio State's title?

How do you get that out of what I wrote? He certainly was a component of it though.

We were simply speaking of QBs though, since that is the subject of the thread.

I would say that Cardale Jones outplayed the opponents defense.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Originally Posted By: DCDAWGFAN
Quote:
In regards to Johnny Manziel and A&M, did he ever win the college football championship? No? Isn't that the goal?

So Cardale Jones would have won the national championship with the 121st ranked defense in the country?

He defeated Oregon's 31st ranked defense in the Championship game.

He defeated Alabama's 6th ranked defense in the Sugar Bowl.

He defeated Wisconsin's 18th ranked defense in the Big Ten Championship.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: anarchy2day
Quote:

yep.

A Third string QB outplayed a Heisman trophy winner.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
C
Legend
Legend
C
Because you said that Manziel didn't win the National Championship, so that means that his team had nothing to do with it.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

That running back didn't have anything to do with these victories. All Cardale.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: SaintDawg
I would prefer that the franchise owner would refrain from making player personnel comments to the media.

I made this comment January 23rd. Since then: Canfora's article about the Mess in Berea starts w Haslam out 02/03 and the Farmer responsible for texts to sidelines news was out 02/04.

I think most people are comfortable w the idea that these texts were at the behest of Haslam and Farmer is taking the hit for Haslam.

No one said anything about my initial comment. I have been on record as saying I am embarrassed to have Haslam as the owner of my beloved Cleveland Browns franchise. I took some crap on this board for saying that.. the one that did it knows who he is.

As I read various threads such as the 5 step plan for the Browns.. I see numerous comments to the effect of muzzle Haslam and Scheiner.. keep them OUT of player personnel decisions.. put their cell phones on airplane mode etc.. Now of a sudden it looks like I was right.

I will from now on address haslam in lower case. He's a crook, a thief and a meddlesome jackass. I would love for him to redeem himself a lil bit and hire a mentor for Farmer.. A Bill Polian or better yet, a Ron Wolf.

Please haslam, keep your damn mouth shut and quit ruining our franchise, let the football people do their jobs.

OK, Now I feel better

Last edited by SaintDawg; 02/10/15 11:47 PM.

SaintDawg™

Football, baseball, basketball, wine, women, walleye
Legend
Legend
I have seen little about Hundley's performance that says that he will even be a capable NFL QB, let along a star QB.

I have trouble seeing hi getting into the 1st round. He has been mostly "stuck" in his development for years now, and has done little to improve.

What do you see that makes you think that he is a "nice QB prospect"?

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
E
Legend
Legend
E
If it was me I apologize.
But I don't think he is evil. I never wished for us to get a hands on owner - I was ok with an owner hiring football people to take care of football. But it was not working out so I didn't go ape over the new ownership. But many applauded that we would finally have a hands on owner.

Put yourself in his place. You just bought a team for a Billion $. You wish to win the first year didn't go to good as you had to attend to the family business and relied on a hire Banner to run things.

Now you are the owner and in the house pretty much daily. I would actually be shocked if there wasn't some - HEY WE GOT TO DO THIS involved.

The text thing. Don't know until the facts - all I know as I watched that Bengal game I was pretty pissed off too. Don't know what I would have done if I was actually the owner. I'd probably hire a guy to calm me down and give me more heart meds...lol laugh

No where near a Jones, Snyder or Modell in meddling. And he knows probably more football than Snyder and Modell.

Hard to call what kind of person and owner he is - the first year he wasn't around, the second was his first as active owner. We made the move or he did, I wish to see it play out. 5-10 years. We aren't losing cause of him. Continuity is #1, all on the same page is #2.

As long as Farmer and Pettine stay on the same page we will move forward in the right direction. Best thing we can do is win, so Farmer can get more CREDS to say, "Thanks boss I will give that strong consideration" and then make his own decisions.

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
E
Legend
Legend
E
In regards to the inference that we are looking to move up to draft Mariota.

1. Its that time of year where unfortunately we cannot believe a darn thing we hear or read about the draft and teams concerns and possible dealings.

2. 2 First rounders to move up for a QB considered to have risk factors?

3. How old is Mariota?

4. Seems our QB coach has experience after all as he is being hired by AGENTS to cram the QB prospects with Technique improvements and with success. So their value will rise.

5. No other team should have a heads up on Mariota as much as the Browns. So whatever decision we make, Move up for him, Let him drop to 12 and take him - let him drop to 12 and trade him to the Eagles.

Whatever our final decision would be - I think we would be the most educated team to make any decisions on Mariota.

jmho

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:
1. Its that time of year where unfortunately we cannot believe a darn thing we hear or read about the draft and teams concerns and possible dealings.

True. But this similar report came out last year as well. Possibly AFTER Mariota said he was going back to Oregon. The AFTER part I'm not sure about but do know Farmer was tied to liking Mariota one year ago.

Edit: This article came out Feb. 11th, 2014....over two months after Mariota announced a return to Oregon. (No real need for smokescreens at that time, right?)

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000...us-mariota-best

I'm not saying these recent reports aren't a smokescreen but it's conceivable to think with what's been provided that there is some truth to Farmer *hearts* Mariota.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Wow you keep switching up the topic...

Your initial assertion that a couple of us jumped on was that Cardale Jones is better than Johnny Manziel because OSU won the national championship and Manziel didn't. That's pretty much exactly what you said.

I don't care what level of defense Jones beat, he did it with the 29th ranked defense behind him... Manziel was playing with the 121st ranked defense behind him.... Therefore, Manziel had to do more, score more, to win games than Jones did.

And by your definition, Jones is also better than Luck, he never won a national championship either.

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: eotab
In regards to the inference that we are looking to move up to draft Mariota.

2. 2 First rounders to move up for a QB considered to have risk factors?

3. How old is Mariota?

4. Seems our QB coach has experience after all as he is being hired by AGENTS to cram the QB prospects with Technique improvements and with success. So their value will rise.

5. No other team should have a heads up on Mariota as much as the Browns. So whatever decision we make, Move up for him, Let him drop to 12 and take him - let him drop to 12 and trade him to the Eagles.

Whatever our final decision would be - I think we would be the most educated team to make any decisions on Mariota.

jmho

I'd say that the Eagles are the most educated team regarding Mariota. Chip Kelly knows the boy pretty well.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
E
Legend
Legend
E
My first thought was one word...true.

but then our insight is his transition to NFL Techniques - how easy was it for him to convert/change things of that nature. So I'm right back at our knowledge on him in regards to Transition to the NFL game.

Now to the Eagle game - without a doubt Kelly knows considering its the same system and there really isn't much transition except for the speed of the game and smaller windows, usual stuff.

But for the rest of the NFL we actually would know better than Kelly...so actually its a little of both being correct.

31 teams us, 1 team Eagles - Chip.

jmho

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

Legend
Legend
Ok,, But I still think his former coach would know things that few could possibly know.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
E
Legend
Legend
E
Without a doubt there is excellent familiarities with him. Keep also in mind Mariota Socially is pretty squeaky clean. But I get what you're saying and I agree to a point.

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

Legend
OP Online
Legend
"Hard to call what kind of person and owner he is"
======================================================

The one thing that I will say about Haslam:

In regards to Pilot J. There is no way on God's green earth that Haslam was not aware of what was going on.

In a company like that no minor executive takes it upon himself to commit fraud. Nobody implements a plan like what was in place without Haslam knowing about it. There is just no way he was not aware of it and did not approve of it.

The reason he skated was because of the layers of insulation he had in place along with his legal team.

It may have nothing to do with the Browns but it still paints a clear picture of Haslam.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: bonefish
"Hard to call what kind of person and owner he is"
======================================================

The one thing that I will say about Haslam:

In regards to Pilot J. There is no way on God's green earth that Haslam was not aware of what was going on.

In a company like that no minor executive takes it upon himself to commit fraud. Nobody implements a plan like what was in place without Haslam knowing about it. There is just no way he was not aware of it and did not approve of it.

The reason he skated was because of the layers of insulation he had in place along with his legal team.

It may have nothing to do with the Browns but it still paints a clear picture of Haslam.

I forget the size of Pilot/Flying J but I seem to remember it's something in the area of 28 Billion in annual sales.

That's NOT a small company and believe me, there is EVERY possibility that he wasn't totally aware. For almost all of the year prior, he'd been consumed with the Browns.

Those executives involved were far from MINOR execs. So they did have the authority to make certain policies and make others stick to them.

Having said that, I agree that Haslam probably knew and he pretty much has skated.

From a Browns perspective, that's actually a good thing.. Can you imagine the mess if he'd have gone to jail or been required by the league to step down and had his father take over. The Dad is 80 something years old, what if he were to die?

Further confusion. So while I don't like the idea of a guy that I think did something illegal owning the Browns, it's actually the better of the known alternatives. And please don't say he should sell the team, Billions that want an NFL team don't grow on trees.

Besides, do you think that Jerry Jones is squeeky clean? How about Robert Kraft?

I know a lot about the owner of the Ravens. He's in the same business I'm in and in our industry, he's not at all well thought of at all. In fact he's know as a scuzball.

So what's the difference between Haslam and those guys?

Haslam got caught, Sort of!

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Damanshot
Ok,, But I still think his former coach would know things that few could possibly know.

Probably but keep in mind, Kelly recruited him, had him for one year, then Kelly left for the Iggles. Then Mariota played for 2 more years under somebody else.

So Kelly didn't have first hand knowledge of his progression from freshman to junior to see his evolution, his growth and development, etc.

So yea, he knows him better than any other pro coach, but it's not like he coached him for 3 or 4 years.

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Damanshot

Probably but keep in mind, Kelly recruited him, had him for one year, then Kelly left for the Iggles. Then Mariota played for 2 more years under somebody else.

So Kelly didn't have first hand knowledge of his progression from freshman to junior to see his evolution, his growth and development, etc.

So yea, he knows him better than any other pro coach, but it's not like he coached him for 3 or 4 years.

We are arguing over nothing of real importance, but what other Pro Coach coached him for more than 1 year? See what I mean.

1 year may not be 2 or 3 years, but it's 1 year more than anyone else in the pros

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Legend
Legend
All of which I agreed with. nanner

yebat' Putin
E
Legend
Legend
E
Well lets look at it in another perspective.

1. In a large corporation the way to move up the ladder is to show direct responsibility of PROFITS GAINED...I see most decisions being made strictly upon PROFIT.

2. The IRS has become an arm of the People in power in Washington, Haslams are big contributors to the other direction. Keep in mind I'm ignorant of the actual details of the case. I really don't care until there is a final result.

3. Why would a Family member at the very top condone or orchestrate such a policy that would have to go by many layers of the onion so that it wouldn't be a secret. These guys have Lawyers, Accountants at every turn to make sure anything that come from THEM will pass the litmus test.

4. I think too many think they are from Harlan County - "JUSTIFIED"

5. I know he was with the company but he was an owner of the Steelers and around there often. Also the acquisition of the Browns couldn't have happened overnight - I'm sure there was a transition period giving up responsibilities.

6. If it all originated from the top. Why hire a new guy who was going to be able to spot things handled wrong if indeed it was orchestrated on a high level of the organization?

Just some food for thought.

Also keep in mind if things turn out bad - ownership I beieve falls back into Randy's hands.

jmho

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

This article probably fits here with the ongoing discussion on Mariota.

Complaints begin about Browns brazenly exploiting loophole

Posted by Mike Florio on February 11, 2015, 9:00 AM EST

If the Browns showed the same kind of reckless abandon on the field that their front office displays away from it, the team might actually become a contender.

At a time when the franchise is bracing for potentially significant penalties for violating the rules regarding in-game electronic communications, the Browns have jammed their way through a loophole that allows their technically-not-hired-yet quarterbacks coach to work with one of the top quarterback prospects in the draft — at a time when none of the other teams can even talk to him.

As noted earlier by Gantt, future Browns quarterbacks coach Kevin O’Connell currently is working with quarterback Marcus Mariota. Since the Browns haven’t officially hired O’Connell yet, the eventual employee can do things that he couldn’t do if he weren’t currently an employee.

“So let me get this straight,” a high-level executive with another team told PFT on Wednesday morning. “The Browns can have their quarterbacks coach in waiting work with a player, teach him the entire offense, etc., but we can’t even talk to any potential draft pick until the Combine per league rules? Something is wrong here.”

While the Browns have yet to publicly acknowledge that O’Connell will be getting the job, it has been widely reported that O’Connell will be getting the job. NFL Media, partially owned by the Browns, has reported that the Browns will hire O’Connell — and the Browns have never refuted it.

Even if the league looks the other way on this one, the know-it-when-you-see-it decision of the Browns to brazenly flaunt the rules won’t do much to encourage lenience when the time comes to drop the hammer over the brazen flaunting of the rules that resulted in G.M. Ray Farmer, either acting alone or at the behest of those above him (bet the over), to send text messages to the coaching staff during games.

Article

Legend
Legend
All of which I agreed with. nanner
naughtydevil

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
P
Legend
Legend
P
Interesting article to say the least. I can understand the Browns trying to get an inside track. I can also understand how the other 31 teams would see this as shady dealings.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
C
Legend
Legend
C
I am okay being shady if it means we finally get a QB.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
Interesting article to say the least. I can understand the Browns trying to get an inside track. I can also understand how the other 31 teams would see this as shady dealings.

Rumor has it that the balls Mariota is practicing with only have 11 psi of air in them.. the Patriots are going to draft him.

yebat' Putin
A
Legend
Legend
A
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG

Rumor has it that the balls Mariota is practicing with only have 11 psi of air in them.. the Patriots are going to draft him.

Wrong. The balls are at 14.5 psi - he's going to Green Bay to sit behind Rogers for 3 years to learn.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Do you have three independent sources that suggest this?

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
i don't need links, i trust my eyes.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
OP Online
Legend

So in the end you agree with what I said.

Legend
OP Online
Legend

EO, He was minority owner with the Steelers. Bought into them in 2008 and sold out 2012.

He had zero involvement with the Steelers operation.

He is second generation ownership of Pilot J. Son of the man that built the company and brother of the governor.

Sorry but it is naive to actually believe he was in the dark.

I spent 30 years in big telecommunications companies.

What went down at Pilot J had his stamp of approval.
Haslam also knew in advance that he could not swing.

You want to believe other wise. Your prerogative.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Because you said that Manziel didn't win the National Championship, so that means that his team had nothing to do with it.

That's not what I'm saying. What I am saying is that Johnny Manziel couldn't get the job done. He supposedly knew what he was doing, winning a Heisman trophy along the way. Lots of QBs have won the Heisman trophy and weren't good NFL QBs.

Cardale has the size, intelligence and work ethic. I dare say that he's more intelligent and has a better work ethic than Manziel and that he'll be a starting QB in the NFL. That's more than Manziel can say.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

That running back didn't have anything to do with these victories. All Cardale.

I didn't say that. Zeke had a lot to do with it but how many folks say and agree with the belief that a QB is the most important position on the field?

I love Zeke, but isn't the topic QBs? Focus man. Focus.

C
Legend
Legend
C

That's not what I'm saying. What I am saying is that Johnny Manziel couldn't get the job done. He supposedly knew what he was doing, winning a Heisman trophy along the way. Lots of QBs have won the Heisman trophy and weren't good NFL QBs.

Cardale has the size, intelligence and work ethic. I dare say that he's more intelligent and has a better work ethic than Manziel and that he'll be a starting QB in the NFL. That's more than Manziel can say.

I appreciate you trying to get back on topic, but none of this has anything to do with what you originally said.

You basically are saying Manziel should take all the blame for not winning a National Championship. Even though he was historically good and his defense was atrocious.

Furthermore, (though you have since backpedaled) you gave Cardale Jones all the credit for Ohio State winning the National Championship.

No one knows anything about Cardale Jones other than he played very well for three games with an outstanding supporting cast. If J.T. Barrett doesn't get hurt no one knows his name.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Wow you keep switching up the topic...

Your initial assertion that a couple of us jumped on was that Cardale Jones is better than Johnny Manziel because OSU won the national championship and Manziel didn't. That's pretty much exactly what you said.

I stated that Cardale won a National Championship and that was more than Johnny Manziel could say. Yes. If I had a choice between Cardale Jones and Johnny Manziel, I would take Cardale Jones 100 times out of 100 for lots of reasons.

Quote:
I don't care what level of defense Jones beat, he did it with the 29th ranked defense behind him... Manziel was playing with the 121st ranked defense behind him.... Therefore, Manziel had to do more, score more, to win games than Jones did.

I'm not sure where you're getting these rankings. Yards are yards, but points are points. A&M's defense in 2013 was ranked 96th (of 125), giving up 32.2 ppg. However, when Manziel won his Heisman in 2012, the team had the 26th ranked defense (of 125), giving up just 21.8 ppg. There's also that other guy, a huge WR that bailed Manziel out and covered his flaws. His game doesn't translate to the NFL.

Quote:
And by your definition, Jones is also better than Luck, he never won a national championship either.

I didn't say that, but thanks for trying that ridiculous statement. If Luck were to get injured, Indy would be so screwed. If Manziel were to get injured, nobody would even notice.

When Braxton Miller got injured, many thought that was the Buckeyes year. J.T. Barrett stepped up and people forgot who Braxton Miller was. Then when J.T. Barrett got injured, people were saying (on this very message board) that their season was over. I might have been one of the few (maybe the only one) that wasn't concerned. I even wrote about it. Cardale Jones made people forget about J.T. Barrett.

Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2015 NFL Season The NFL Draft 2015 Haslam: 'We've got to get a quarterback' in 2015

Link Copied to Clipboard