Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: YepTheBrownsRule
Originally Posted By: pblack18707

49ers salary cap 2015, cut candidates: Phil Dawson

We gotta get this guy!

I have never seen a fan base not be able to forget about a kicker before. This is sad. Not a QB, not a RB, hell not even a OLineman, but a freakin kicker! lol

Congratulations to our 2016 NBA Champion CLEVELAND CAVALIERS!!! Greatest comeback in sports history... Hail to the King!

The great QB guru and the Moneyball group: 1-15
Record of Criminal Haslam owned Browns: 20-60 (0.250)
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Originally Posted By: WhatCanBrownDo4U

We gotta get this guy!

I have never seen a fan base not be able to forget about a kicker before. This is sad. Not a QB, not a RB, hell not even a OLineman, but a freakin kicker! lol

Even though Dawson is up there in age, there is merit to this thought given the state of Brown's kickers.

#gmstrong
C
Legend
Legend
C
Not if he wants the same pay rate he has been getting.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
When you have other players that need to be paid, paying a kicker $2 million is dumb.

Not really, cause when you look at the kicker salaries all the veteran kickers are making over $1,500,000 a year the only ones making less are the young guys who were just drafted or guys who have bounced around the league. The league veteran minimum for players with 10 years or more experience is just under a 1 mill a year. As they say you get what you pay for.

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
A
Legend
Legend
A
I certainly wouldn't take him back for $4 million a year. Or $3 mil.

He was here. He was a Brown. He chose to chase the money closer to where he lived. (Texas IS a bit closer to Cal. than Ohio is). Looks like chasing that money elsewhere is now biting him. Sure, he has the money.

I don't want him back. He's another year older than last year, and how many years older than when he last played here?

LThe niners can keep him - if he was all that, they would........or they can cut him, which it looks like they might do.

Hey, he was great while he was here. He's not here now.....left for money and to "be nearer" his famoly. Maybe dallas should sign him.

D
Legend
Legend
D
I'd take him back at for a year or two at the League average, for a PK, or a little more. He'd be better than what we have, and he could then retire as a Brown. Its a good fit, unless you think Garrett Hartley is all that, which I don't.

L
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
L
ya

I`m good with Baker... Playoffs is good enough for me.
C
Legend
Legend
C
Find a young kicker, keep him until he needs to get paid, let him go. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Y
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Y
Originally Posted By: WhatCanBrownDo4U

We gotta get this guy!

hehe. My comment was in jest. Would I take him back for the right price? Certainly. He can't be any worse than what we had last year.

it makes less sense to get him now than it did to keep him two years ago though.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Not if he wants the same pay rate he has been getting.

The browns have plenty of cap space.. If he's the best option, pay the man and bring him back..

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Phil left Cleveland because he was not even offered a contract. It was either retire or play some place else. banghead

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
E
Legend
Legend
E
Now this is the kind of player you would use the philosophy - No kicker is worth 4+mil but we do have the money why not for 2 years! Not Cameron with a TAG.

Agents can't really use 4mil as leverage.

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
With Dawson we would have been 9-7 or 10-6.

What other position can you be +2 or +3 wins. What other position can you do that for a $3MM delta in cap? Maybe RB if you get really lucky?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Find a young kicker, keep him until he needs to get paid, let him go. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Easier said then done. Just checking the last 8 drafts you know how many Kickers are still with the team that drafted them........out of 16 drafted Kickers only 5 are still on the team they were drafted by. The other 11 have bounced around the league or are out of football.

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
E
Legend
Legend
E
Thats why we got to take on in the first round like Janokowski...look how long he lasted...lol laugh Where's Lombardi when you need him.

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

C
Legend
Legend
C
Be a better team and the kicker is taken out of the equation. While we lost games because the we missed field goals, the game was not close because we had a bad kicker. The game was close because the rest of our team was average.

Kickers are the most replaceable players on the team and there are plenty readily available.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Tony Grossi ‏@TonyGrossi 36m36 minutes ago
Forget about #Rams QB Sam Bradford being an option for the #Browns. http://www.stltoday.com/sports/football/...96a956ba6c.html

I got no problem forgetting that one... Sam Bradford is not someone the city of Cleveland needs. A lot of hope, potential and etc but with that nagging inability to stay healthy.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
So you are saying don't spend 3 million to upgrade 1 position to win 2 or 3 more games, spend way more tHan that and upgrade a whole bunch of positions and win 2 or 3 more games?

C
Legend
Legend
C
Fisher is going to get fired because he refused to give up on Bradford.

I would have been willing to consider Bradford a legitimate option if he was willing to take a one year deal with almost no real money.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
cfrs15 .... so a current starting QB shoudl come play for the Browns for free and kickers with a high rate of success are a dime a dozen so we should just keep using the same chump that lost us 3 games last season...

lol and you wonder why no one listens to you at times.

I mean, "C'MON MAN!"

You can't fix stupid but you can destroy ignorance. When you destroy ignorance you remove the justifications for evil. If you want to destroy evil then educate our people. Hate is a tool of the stupid to deal with what they can't understand.
E
Legend
Legend
E
I would do the Happy pee Pee dance if we got Bradford. We would be blessed to have him. I know what you all probably would say...we can't keep healthy QBs off the IR...how bout Bradford.

1. Priority one keep him healthy and we got the OL to do so.

2. Reason our QBs get killed is teams crowd the box stopping the run and say QB GO AHEAD BEAT US. When he does go back to pass they just bring a bunch that were there committed.

3. With Bradford it would open up the run game cause would not be able to bring 8,9 10 in the box.

We wouldn't know what to do as fans if we got blessed to have a QB like Bradford. Gosh forbid if we got a QB with a strong arm. Accurate like you wouldn't believe and smart with his reads.

The guy never had an adequate LT... just guys who failed elsewhere. His OL has always sucked.

Him HERE!?! nanner

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Be a better team and the kicker is taken out of the equation. While we lost games because the we missed field goals, the game was not close because we had a bad kicker. The game was close because the rest of our team was average.

Kickers are the most replaceable players on the team and there are plenty readily available.

Yet for the last 2 seasons we had a guy who couldn't kick over 50 yrds. While I understand your caution about over valuing the importance of a kicker, respectfully I think you swing to far the other direction. What happens WHEN we end up in the Super Bowl next year and it comes down to a FG? It's the leagues 2 best teams squaring off. You're (likely) not talking about average play being the reason you lost. Having a good, reliable kicker can be that slim edge that puts you in the W column and its someone even the best teams rely on from time to time.

There's always talk about how a team NEEDS a #1 WR... I think having a u who can consistently hit 53yrds + is a necessity.

"Hey, I'm a reasonable guy. But I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."
-Jack Burton

-It looks like the Harvard Boys know what they are doing after all.
Legend
Legend
Our current PK played 2 games for us last year, IIRC.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
C
Legend
Legend
C
Where did I say Bradford should do that? I don't think Bradford should do play for no money. He should get as much money as he can. I just wouldn't have him on my team for any real money because he can't stay healthy.

As far as kickers go, I would love to have a good one. I just don't want to pay any significant money to a position that is easy to find replacement and is volatile year-to-year.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Where did I say Bradford should do that? I don't think Bradford should do play for no money. He should get as much money as he can. I just wouldn't have him on my team for any real money because he can't stay healthy.

As far as kickers go, I would love to have a good one. I just don't want to pay any significant money to a position that is easy to find replacement and is volatile year-to-year.

We are talking about free agents for the Browns by saying you would not pay a viable started like bradford a starter's wage your not being realistic and showing no respect for the QB position IMHO. health issues or not he is a good QB and way better than anything we have had in probably 20 years. The fact you would not want a serious upgrade at the QB position shows you don't value QB's enough IMHO.

We have no starting calibur QB on this team. Period. I don't see one in the works either. It doesn't look good.

Kickers are neither easy to find or to replace. Your very misguided or informed about this. We lost 3 games last season because our kicker sucks and he was the best we could find. I'd have been more than willing to pay even 5 million to have those 3 losses to have been wins and probably gotten to the playoffs.

Great Kickers will put more points than almost any other player on the team except the QB. With our QBs they would probably score even more. Plus your offense an coaches will player more aggressive and better football if they know all they have to do is get to the 40 yard line and we have 3 points. You add up the points we threw away because we didn't event want to try to get into kicking range last season and we probably come away with an extra 2 wins. In reality its very possible we would have won an extra 5 games last season and own our division.

That's how important a great kicker is. I'd love it if we got a great one this year in the draft. he would score more points than anyone else we would draft that is for sure and would help our defense a TON.

You can't fix stupid but you can destroy ignorance. When you destroy ignorance you remove the justifications for evil. If you want to destroy evil then educate our people. Hate is a tool of the stupid to deal with what they can't understand.
C
Legend
Legend
C
I do not undervalue QBs. I do not value Bradford. He has been "OK" when he has played. He has not played in a regular season football game since October 20th, 2013. I agree with you about Bradford being more talented than any of our old QBs, and if you go back and look I was advocating for him as our QB last off-season, I just don't think he can stay healthy and I don't know what he looks like healthy.

If kickers are so valuable, why aren't they paid more? Why aren't they drafted higher (or at all)? Why do teams regularly let their kickers leave?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:
If kickers are so valuable, why aren't they paid more? Why aren't they drafted higher (or at all)? Why do teams regularly let their kickers leave?

They aren't paid because while valuable they don't see the field that often, same reason for being drafted late. As for why they are regularly let go, that's because there aren't enough quality kickers in the league so all those teams are still searching for one. If you look at the top Kickers to ever play all were with 1 team for a long period of time. So when a team found a good one they hung on to them.

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
C
Legend
Legend
C
So players that aren't on the field as much as other players aren't as valuable?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
So players that aren't on the field as much as other players aren't as valuable?

Didn't say that, I said they aren't paid as much.

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
Legend
Legend

It's the superbowl, it's forth down, you are down by 2 points, you are barely within field goal range. A FG gets you the win and the Lombardi.

How much is your kicker worth?

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Depends on if he makes it. Hopefully you spent enough to bag the trophy.

Nobody complains their kicker is just too entirely good and accurate. Your point is well made and well taken.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: dawg66

But if they aren't paid as much, wouldn't that imply they aren't as valuable?

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: dawg66

But if they aren't paid as much, wouldn't that imply they aren't as valuable?

Careful there! Sounds like Ray Farmer talking about another position... lol tsktsk

"Hey, I'm a reasonable guy. But I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."
-Jack Burton

-It looks like the Harvard Boys know what they are doing after all.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: eotab
I would do the Happy pee Pee dance if we got Bradford. We would be blessed to have him. I know what you all probably would say...we can't keep healthy QBs off the IR...how bout Bradford.

2. Reason our QBs get killed is teams crowd the box stopping the run and say QB GO AHEAD BEAT US. When he does go back to pass they just bring a bunch that were there committed.

3. With Bradford it would open up the run game cause would not be able to bring 8,9 10 in the box.

We wouldn't know what to do as fans if we got blessed to have a QB like Bradford. Gosh forbid if we got a QB with a strong arm. Accurate like you wouldn't believe and smart with his reads.

The guy never had an adequate LT... just guys who failed elsewhere. His OL has always sucked.

Him HERE!?! nanner

We agree on something eo. I would love to have Bradford assuming our OL could keep him vertical.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: SuperBrown
Originally Posted By: eotab

Him HERE!?! nanner

We agree on something eo. I would love to have Bradford assuming our OL could keep him vertical.

I would love to have Bradford too. Basically for those reasons and a change of scenery for him. Maybe getting him outside of the dome/art. turf would help also?

C
Legend
Legend
C
Bradford tore his ACL on grass both times. He is fragile, a change of scenery won't help that.

It is a moot point anyway, Fisher is going down with the Bradford ship.

Who will the Rams hire as head coach their first season in L.A.? Grudges seems like a good fit for that scene.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Moot point, yes. I believe I stated that earlier when somebody asked. Fischer and their GM stated he aint going anywhere and is their starter.

As for Bradford...he gets hit a lot is he damaged goods? Worth the chance cause the fact is he is that good. cfrs saying otherwise just isn't enough to sway me. Yes, we get it he has been injured consistently. Still is an awesome talent. The fact the Fischer scoffs at letting him go is pretty evident at that.

Jmho and I guess Fischer's too.

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Keith Rivers was released from Buffalo yesterday. It's on their official website. Buffalo is going back to a 3-4 and he wasn't a good fit.

K
All Pro
All Pro
K
another pettine guy we may see here?

tradition can only carry you so far, then you have to start winning again.
C
Legend
Legend
C
My question is this, is Bradford still an awesome talent after his knee was shredded twice?

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Cap Casualties and Other Cuts

Link Copied to Clipboard