Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
This is a topic that has been discussed before yet it has been some time. So I felt during this slow time after the season yet before the draft would be a good time to revisit the subject.

What I believe are two glaring needs are the QB and WR positions. We have a handful of high quality, franchise type QB's in the NFL. We've all seen how hard it is for QB's to play high school and college football then transition to the NFL because of the spread used in college.

They resort back to tendencies developed over years of bad habits, poor mechanics and single reads that colleges simply don't have the time or need to develop in those ranks. At that juncture, it makes it very hard to field a large enough group of talent at the QB position for the NFL.

While we are starting to see some better results from drafted WR's, there are some very similar results in route running and catching techniques. Often times physical prowess alone without solid techniques and route running rule the day.

My question is, do you believe that talent could be better made ready for the NFL game through a farm system teaching athletes within established NFL systems rather than having to learn these things at full speed in the NFL game?

I see almost zero chance of this happening due to the financial implications involved on the part of the NFL. I can't see them even considering such a thing as long as fans are willing to settle for a few teams to have great QB's while the rest of the league struggles to take the next step.

I do however believe that such a farm system would be a far better solution to developing talent that would transition and be much better prepared for the NFL game.

I'm quite sure that others can point to different positions on the field that a farm system would do well in developing. And I'm sure many others have different views on this topic.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
N
Legend
Legend
N
the World League was the NFL's attempt at a farm system. it did not yield the results they had hoped it would.

with even more pressure on players contributing early and the tenures of most GMs and HCs getting shorter, the patience required to have a successful farm system is likely to not exist but for a few teams.

i think it would actually widen the gulf between the stable and unstable franchises.

#gmstrong
C
Legend
Legend
C
My biggest concern would be injuries. Do you really want players playing for some other team and getting hurt?

Also, would there be 32 farm teams? Are there enough quality players to fill those rosters? If not how many teams would there be? Do you trust some random coach to be coaching your prized draft pick?

Who is paying for the farm teams? Not the owners. The league? No. The fans? Yes (although I am sure they could get some sort of TV deal to broadcast the games).

When does the season occur? During the NFL season or during the off-season?

College football is the NFL's farm system. It is a system that has worked well for a long time. I don't see any good reason to change it.

Legend
Legend
A small eight to ten team league whose season starts after the Super Bowl and plays in smaller markets would be ideal.

Have it be paid for by the league and let the players be open to be signed by any NFL team. Set it up so that the offensive systems used develop quarterbacks that can run an NFL system, not a college spread.

Conversely, you can make the argument that the NCAA is the farm system.
A lot more can be said about that, but it basically is already.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

C
Legend
Legend
C
The ideal farm system would be an NFL-backed league of undrafted rookies or veteran free agents.

I cannot see any NFL coach trusting his young players to some random coach that he had no voice in hiring.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
The ideal farm system would be an NFL-backed league of undrafted rookies or veteran free agents.

I cannot see any NFL coach trusting his young players to some random coach that he had no voice in hiring.

I would think that you would reserve this league for players not currently in the league. There's little value in sending veterans to a farm system... they've developed. Your players under contract... why risk the injury? Not to mention, I don't think you could even remotely approach the idea of that without the NFLPA signing off, and they wouldn't unless those players of theirs got extra cash, and the NFLPA got their cut.

So, this sort of thing would very much be for players not currently in the league... guys that maybe have the physical tools, but need to develop technique or the mental side of the game to catch on somewhere.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
I would love to see a farm system for the NFL. Maybe each team contributes 10 players (their practice squad) who go to form an 8 team league, each with 40 players. Maybe each division creates one farm team. They would play an 7 game season, (so they play every team in the league) and be available to be called up to their home team as needed. Maybe even expand the practice squad to 12 players, and allow an NFL team to designate 2 who can stay up with the main team in case of an injury to a player on the main roster. Any player can be called up to work with the main roster at any time, but only 2 can be up with the main team at any one time. Of course an NFL team can sign any player on the practice squads/developmental teams at any time. Each combined developmental team can also sign 10 other street free agents to fill holes beyond the contributions of their NFL teams. That way if none of the teams in their division have put a RB on their practice squad, for example, they can go sign one. If there is only 1 QB on their 4 practice squads, they can go sign one.

The 8 teams could play in two 4 team conferences, and the top teams in each conference would play in a championship game at the end of the season. There is no playoff beyond that. That would make the whole "season" an 8 week season, and a bunch of players would get extra experience on the field.

At the end of the developmental season, the players return to their home teams. Of course, they can be replaced on the practice squad at any time.

I think that this could be a win-win, and give a bunch of players a chance at proving themselves to an NFL team, as well as teams seeing their practice squad guys in on field competition against other similar players.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
The idea I guess, would be that as an UDFA would you rather try to sign onto a teams practice squad, or possible go to this D-League and get a chance to start..

If a team has a 2nd or 3rd year late round QB, maybe they send him down there to get time as a starter, in a pro style offense..

I think it's a good idea.. but not something that would be feasible.. too many variables..

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Legend
Legend
If you're going to do it, it has to be during the NFL season.. Because if you have a spring league, and then call someone up to TC for the NFL season.. they are most likely going to get hurt..

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
The joke would write itself..... The Browns: the best farm team in the big leagues.

"Team Chemistry No Match for Team Biology" (Onion Sports Headline)
E
Legend
Legend
E
Well its called pretty much the NCAA but I know what you mean.

We had NFLe (europe) which was the best we had and gave us I think the most players.

They currently have the UFL ??? That is where Clutts FB was signed from. He was a big QB in college and made the switch to FB. But I don't see the same talent coming from there that came for NFLe.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
S
Rookie
Rookie
S
If it was done correctly...

And you could get owners behind it then yes it would be excellent...

As a side note...I feel like if any RIVAL league were to ever start up...they need to go hard at the idea. 12 Teams...6 per league...12 game schedule, play your half twice and two other teams. BUT...eliminate the 3 years rules. Imagine if they could've swung a kid like Clowney, Lattimore, DeMarco Murray, Johnny, Jameis, or other kids that had HUGE freshman years and convinced them to come get paid right away and not have to wait? That would have had potential to make something of itself...
Securing a TV contract with a reasonable network would be the hurdle.

...Coming Soon
E
Legend
Legend
E
There will never be a rival league start up The start up coast for a parallel league is just too much and as many leagues who tried starting up - team loyalty/love by the fans just are not equal to others.

Minor leagues yes, btw there are 230 Semi Pro Leagues across America. This is where they can farm from.

jmho

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

Legend
Legend

My question is, do you believe that talent could be better made ready for the NFL game through a farm system teaching athletes within established NFL systems rather than having to learn these things at full speed in the NFL game?
=====================================================

In a word: No

The issue is playing the game at the NFL level.

In baseball the farm system (minor leagues) and the coaches move the players along till they are ready. Everything is geared toward player development and preparation for the major leagues.

College football has "it's" own agenda. College football is a product. An established "Brand".
They are not in existence to develop players for the NFL.

Unless a league began that mirrored the minor leagues of baseball where players went straight from high school and moved up in the level of play while being payed. I see no way that could happen.

It used to be that all quarterbacks coming into the NFL sat for at least a year. It was almost a given. Like an apprenticeship.

Now for the the teams at the top of the draft (most of them needing a quarterback). The new method is play them. Let them learn as they play. So what if you give up a few seasons. You build around the guy.

Teams with continuity and organizational structure prepare quarterbacks under quality veteran starters. See Patriots, Packers.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
CFL?

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Bring back the XFLLLLLLLL!!

Congratulations to our 2016 NBA Champion CLEVELAND CAVALIERS!!! Greatest comeback in sports history... Hail to the King!

The great QB guru and the Moneyball group: 1-15
Record of Criminal Haslam owned Browns: 20-60 (0.250)
P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

As a side note...I feel like if any RIVAL league were to ever start up...they need to go hard at the idea. 12 Teams...6 per league...12 game schedule, play your half twice and two other teams. BUT...eliminate the 3 years rules. Imagine if they could've swung a kid like Clowney, Lattimore, DeMarco Murray, Johnny, Jameis, or other kids that had HUGE freshman years and convinced them to come get paid right away and not have to wait? That would have had potential to make something of itself...
Securing a TV contract with a reasonable network would be the hurdle.

You can't compete with a monopoly.

P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: 10YrOvernightSuccess
The joke would write itself..... The Browns: the best farm team in the big leagues.

I think you have to farm talent before earning that designation.

T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
Originally Posted By: 10YrOvernightSuccess

Who are you kidding, the Browns would be the first team moved into the new league. brownie

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
My idea would be to have a team made up of essentially the practice squad or other less than 2 year service players, in an 8 team league. Players would be pooled to form a team, (e.g. 4 teams would be made up from AFCN/E and NFCN/E with the other 4 from AFCW/S and NFCW/S) so that there would be no chance of divisional opponent on your team. For clarity, a team could be comprised of players from Cleveland, NYJets, Dallas, and Detroit. End each team would have a few spots for true FA's that could sign later with any NFL team. The roster would be in the range of 45 players probably 10 per team and 5 FA spots.

7 game season, which a championship game. Played in winter/spring between Mid February and March, when nothing other than basketball and pre-season baseball is going on. Mostly warm weather or covered stadiums, and no city is allowed to have a team if it already has a NFL team. Los Angeles area would obviously have a team.

Now this is why it won't happen. Injury. OTA's and other things as well.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
They have one, it's commonly referred to as 'college football'.

Legend
Legend
They could move the Pro Bowl back to after the SB, and play a D League Title game the week before the SB.

The NFL is all about building it's brand, so what's better than new markets, new jerseys and gear to sell, and more games to broadcast?

D
Legend
Legend
D
Funny timing, this question came up today on John Clayton's Mailbag at ESPN.com ...

Q: It seems to me that there are so many benefits associated with the NFL creating a developmental league that it is something that has to be on the horizon. With an eight-team D-league, each NFL team could allocate 10 players to cover 70-75 percent of the roster needs. The other 25-30 percent could be filled with street free agents desperate for a shot. The teams could play a seven-game, round-robin schedule, with the top two teams playing in a championship game. The games would fill a major spring-time void on television. I feel D-league play should start the weekend after the NCAA Final Four and be finished by the first weekend in June. A D-league would do wonders for the development of players (especially QBs), coaches, referees and broadcasters.

Nate in Divide County, North Dakota

A: I agree with you 100 percent. A few developmental leagues are starting to position themselves for NFL consideration. I'm not sure what time of the year would work the best, but something needs to be done. There are investors willing to help fund leagues. The NFL would benefit if it could send players who don't get on to the field to a developmental league. It's good business to get players with more experience. I'm with you on this one.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/122976...clayton-mailbag

Legend
Legend
I would think that it could work with players that weren't drafted and weren't signed as UDFA's.

Some system whereby each NFL team sends X number of players to the farm league. They retain rights to that player but other teams would have the ability to trade for them kinda like it's done in the NFL.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
Here is my idea. Kinda of out of the box.

The farm league would be a no contact league and just work truly on fundamentals. Wr will learn the best way to run routes, QB will learn how to read densenesses ect...

Teams can bid on these guys, (highest bidder wins) to sign them to their practice squad.

This way the players are not hurting themselves and they are learning these fundamental skills which will only help them at the next level.

Legend
Legend
Expand the Lingerie League. Just because.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
The NFL already has a farm league, it's called the NCAA.

I don't think a farm league can ever work.

The leagues can't have their seasons at the same times because they won't compete for ratings with each other OR with College football.

And most teams will be reluctant to send their younger players to these leagues in the offseason in fear of them being injured. We saw this with NFL Europe years ago.

In theory it's an interesting idea, but no a farm league isn't really necessary, nor could it ever be successful.

"You can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave"
Legend
Legend
Average length of a career in the NFL is three seasons. It would be putting the long-term health of a lot of people in undue jeopardy in the hopes of frankly, a handful more QBs being a little bit better, with little financial benefit or long-term job prospects for 95% of the participants.

This is a no. A major no.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
I've said it before. We need Canada to stop with their version of football and convert to a more NFL style. Changing the field to NFL regulation size alone would make for a better learning platform for potential NFL QBs.
My guess is if Canada tweeked their game a little it would be watched more by Americans. Especially if potential NFL talent was being truly cultivated. This would bring more revenue to their league. A win win.
Sadly America kinda stole Canada's national pastime, hockey, then ran it into the ground. I doubt they'd be interested in playing nice with their football.

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
After they change the field.. can they then stop punting 4 times in one play? It makes my brain hurt..

1st String
1st String

College football is the NFL's farm system. It is a system that has worked well for a long time. I don't see any good reason to change it.

My sentiments exactly

Groza76

Go Browns, WIN or lose, forever!
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Groza76

My sentiments exactly

Except that there is a dearth of NFL ready QBs, and if there were a system in place where a young QB could learn, and play in an NFL style offense, gaining experience, and also showing what he can do making multiple reads and such, that would be hugely helpful.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan

Except that there is a dearth of NFL ready QBs, and if there were a system in place where a young QB could learn, and play in an NFL style offense, gaining experience, and also showing what he can do making multiple reads and such, that would be hugely helpful.

And that is the vast majority of my reasoning. Tom Brady's are far and few between, yet it is an example of how a young QB can develop.

I've seen examples posted of a possible 8 team league that makes a lot of sense to me. Now people can say the NCAA is the NFL's farm system, but when their QB's in no way, shape or form play in a similar system, we see many teams miss on the QB position time and time again.

Just imagine how much more entertaining the game would be with even just a handful more of true franchise QB's in the game.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
Just imagine how much more entertaining the game would be with even just a handful more of true franchise QB's in the game.

When the Browns finally find theirs, I want there to be as few of them in the league as possible. smile

P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
I was hoping this would be a tool we could use to actually find one after 15 years of trying.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG

Well that just isn't going to happen at any point in time. An alternate solution to too few elite QB's would be to add 8 - 12 more teams so as to water down the product so that even an average QB could perform well...just kidding!!!

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I just don't see how a developmental league would benefit top tier talent QBs. If the guy is talented IE: Mariota the team is gonna want him on their roster to see if he can win the job or at least be the backup and they are not going to want to see their major investment get hurt playing in a meaningless developmental league game. What I could see is maybe a QB school where QBs could go for say from February thru March to be trained on being an NFL QB, learning to read defenses, mechanics, and such.

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
E
Legend
Legend
E
I doubt a top tier QB prospect would find themselves in a Minor League environment if set up.

What it would do is expand the resources to find a Warner type who fell through the cracks and can get rediscovered. Without NFLe Warner would not have been found.

Rosters go from 85 to 53. Well 25 X 32 = 800 players to get a farm/minor league going 20 teams. 40 players let each team pick up 13 local football players via tryouts to fill out the 53 man roster. Team Budget of around 1mil.

Every year they have a draft before the draft from players from the Minor league. Each team has to supply a number of coaches who are apprentice type coaches. They also act as their scouts in the league.

JMHSuggestion

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

Legend
Legend

My sentiments exactly

There is, it's as a back-up. Seems to me that drafting a QB and letting him sit, learn, practice, and get some spot playing time for a couple years is a far more cost effective way to develop QBs that starting an entire league and paying 55 players per team, whole coaching staffs, renting stadiums, travel, uniforms, etc..

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: DCDAWGFAN

My sentiments exactly

There is, it's as a back-up. Seems to me that drafting a QB and letting him sit, learn, practice, and get some spot playing time for a couple years is a far more cost effective way to develop QBs that starting an entire league and paying 55 players per team, whole coaching staffs, renting stadiums, travel, uniforms, etc..

A backup QB does very little in terms of on the field practicing during th season. Maybe he gets to play the opposing QB, but that's really about it.

I just think that a half season league, where unpolished rookies could go to gain some polish, cannot possibly hurt anything. It would also help WR who have talent, but who played in run heavy offenses in college. It could help the TE who was largely a blocker show that he can also be a receiver.

I am not expecting to see hundreds of guys come out of such a league and set NFL records, but if the Browns can gain added development on 1-3 prospects per year, it would be a huge help. Maybe we find a Tom Brady next time around, who stands revealed by his play in such a league.

I am trying to figure how it would hurt the NFL, and I really can't come up with any way it would. The salaries would be minimal, and the player development could be extremely valuable.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Does The NFL Need A Farm System?

Link Copied to Clipboard