|
|
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 52,481
Legend
|
OP
Legend
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 52,481 |
So I'm currently struggling with a few issues.
anyway, I was wondering if you guys have done, or know any viable stay at home jobs?
even ones that still require degrees.
“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”
- Theodore Roosevelt
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,571
Hall of Famer
|
Hall of Famer
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,571 |
How good are you with computers?
"When a foreigner resides among you in your land, do not mistreat them. The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God." Leviticus 19:33-34
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 52,481
Legend
|
OP
Legend
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 52,481 |
“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”
- Theodore Roosevelt
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 5,175
Hall of Famer
|
Hall of Famer
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 5,175 |
I am disabled but I still earn a living teaching classes online. My students range from 2nd graders to nuclear physicists. I charge from $20 an hour. Skype is a wonderful tool.
You can't fix stupid but you can destroy ignorance. When you destroy ignorance you remove the justifications for evil. If you want to destroy evil then educate our people. Hate is a tool of the stupid to deal with what they can't understand.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 52,481
Legend
|
OP
Legend
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 52,481 |
Damn bro!! awesome stuff. What degree do you have?
“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”
- Theodore Roosevelt
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 5,175
Hall of Famer
|
Hall of Famer
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 5,175 |
English Education and Music Education. Although, I haven't done anything with music in over a decade. Most of my life I choose to work in sales because I could make a lot more money. After my accident though I can't stand up for very long anymore though so I do what I can.
You can't fix stupid but you can destroy ignorance. When you destroy ignorance you remove the justifications for evil. If you want to destroy evil then educate our people. Hate is a tool of the stupid to deal with what they can't understand.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 25,823
Legend
|
Legend
Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 25,823 |
know any viable stay at home jobs? Trojan Tester?
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 11,368
Legend
|
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 11,368 |
What kinds of things interest you? What would you like to learn more about?
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 52,481
Legend
|
OP
Legend
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 52,481 |
to be honest Jules, I don't know.
i was looking into this virtual assistant thing. My kids are in school during the day so I feel i can really concentrate on that.
I was thinking about blogging. I talked to OldCalDawg about hosting a website, I could maybe use it as a social/political forum? maybe get some bites doing that.
“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”
- Theodore Roosevelt
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 11,368
Legend
|
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 11,368 |
to be honest Jules, I don't know.
i was looking into this virtual assistant thing. My kids are in school during the day so I feel i can really concentrate on that Are you looking at a specialized area or still kind of looking at the career in general? I know people who love hiring freelancers for this type of work. I was thinking about blogging. I talked to OldCalDawg about hosting a website, I could maybe use it as a social/political forum? maybe get some bites doing that. Blogging would be fun, you would probably love pissing off the readers.  You have to be willing to put a lot of time into it and really learn about creative writing to gain a good following and make some cash off of the blog.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 52,481
Legend
|
OP
Legend
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 52,481 |
I don't know much about it. I'm still researching. If you could give me some pointers about that field, I'd love it and really appreciate it.
I would be really motivated to do blogging. I've already set up my twitter, linkedn and instagram, as i know that social media is mandatory if i want to be taken seriously.
i've already been going to some town hall meetings and such.
“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”
- Theodore Roosevelt
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 11,368
Legend
|
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 11,368 |
I don't know much about it. I'm still researching. If you could give me some pointers about that field, I'd love it and really appreciate it. Oh, I don't know anything about the field. I would just imagine that the most successful people involved with it are those that specialize in a particular area and target specific groups like small business owners who can't afford a full-time employed assistant, but would really benefit from using a freelancer. I would also think whatever you decide to specialize in should be something that interests you personally, that's when you really thrive in business and life. I would be really motivated to do blogging. I've already set up my twitter, linkedn and instagram, as i know that social media is mandatory if i want to be taken seriously.
i've already been going to some town hall meetings and such. Absolutely. Sounds like you are off to a good start.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 18,204
~ Legend
|
~ Legend
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 18,204 |
to be honest Jules, I don't know.
i was looking into this virtual assistant thing. My kids are in school during the day so I feel i can really concentrate on that.
I was thinking about blogging. I talked to OldCalDawg about hosting a website, I could maybe use it as a social/political forum? maybe get some bites doing that. Being a journalist/writer/blogger (they're all so interconnected these days) is basically staying at home to surf the internet and not receiving much pay. Some of my friends do make a very small living off of it, but the majority, myself included, just use it for drug/beer money.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 14,875
Legend
|
Legend
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 14,875 |
So I'm currently struggling with a few issues.
Me too. Work-related.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,041
Dawg Talker
|
Dawg Talker
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,041 |
So I'm currently struggling with a few issues.
anyway, I was wondering if you guys have done, or know any viable stay at home jobs?
even ones that still require degrees. My best friend is an engineer for a very big company who loves fashion. She took her passion and made it a part time job. She would hit the coach stores, TJmax, marshals and find named brand items for dirt cheap and sell them on ebay. She now makes around 40-50k a year at her EBAY store(part time). She buys palate of named brand stuff(clothes, sunglasses, watches, underwear) and sell it on ebay piece by piece. She taught me what do do it but I think its too much work and annoying lol.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,041
Dawg Talker
|
Dawg Talker
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,041 |
I don't know much about it. I'm still researching. If you could give me some pointers about that field, I'd love it and really appreciate it.
I would be really motivated to do blogging. I've already set up my twitter, linkedn and instagram, as i know that social media is mandatory if i want to be taken seriously.
i've already been going to some town hall meetings and such. If you want to blog, use wordpress, you can be up and running in literally an hour. With wordpress you can use many free pluggins that you normally would need to develop yourself(Google analytics's, security stuff, polls and survey DB backups). I can help you if you need me to its pretty easy stuff.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 43,563
Legend
|
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 43,563 |
I've worked from home for the last 11 years. Works for me.
The hardest part is staying motivated. Sometimes home stuff gets in the way so you need to be able to separate work from home.
What got me going originally was a dear friend who told me there are thousands of way to make a living.
He told me about a friend of his that sells, of all things, little hot wheel cars out of his home using Ebay. Dude was making like 80K a year doing that. Crazy right!
I own and operate a temp service with a partner that is located in New England.
My neighbor here in Aurora works at home with some kind of physic healing thing. (do NOT ask me to explain it) he makes a living.
My other neighbor is a telecommuting IT guy.
Another friend of mine sells funeral/burial services from home.
Another friend is a party planner. She does all her work from home except when it's time to actually set up a party. then she has to be on site.
Do a search of home based business opportunities and you will see page after page of things. Most of which I wouldn't personally find interesting, but who knows what you may find.
I just took a look and would you believe there is an apparent need for a Blog about home based business. How's that?
Good luck
#GMSTRONG
“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.” Daniel Patrick Moynahan
"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe." Damanshot
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 5,991
Hall of Famer
|
Hall of Famer
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 5,991 |
Computer jobs might be the way to go. I'm a network and network security engineer, and I work from home far more than I'd like, as I get lots of overtime. I go into the office about 2-3 times a week.
Most of our staff, which makes phone calls, are all work from home. They take two weeks of training in the office and are then sent home to work.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,259
Hall of Famer
|
Hall of Famer
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,259 |
I am a software engineer and I work from home. Our company HQ is in France but the majority of business is in US/CAN so they want someone in the time zone who can handle technical issues as well as write code.
I'm fortunate enough that it's a W2 position, but for the convenience of the employer I work from home. Meaning I can take the usual home office deductions.
A good friend of mine changed careers from being a chef to being a programmer and jumped straight into oDesk. It took him a few clients and time to build it up but last I heard he's making about 30 bucks and hour and he has a newborn baby he's taking care of so it's limiting his time right now.
#gmstrong
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 52,481
Legend
|
OP
Legend
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 52,481 |
“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”
- Theodore Roosevelt
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,041
Dawg Talker
|
Dawg Talker
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,041 |
If you want to dedicate a month of learning bootstrap(css, html5 framework) you can easily creates websites, for $200-400 for small businesses. The only hard thing is to find customers. Convince them that they need a website. Easy money.
(This is how I get my fun money that the wife can't take!)
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 52,481
Legend
|
OP
Legend
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 52,481 |
If you want to dedicate a month of learning bootstrap(css, html5 framework) you can easily creates websites, for $200-400 for small businesses. The only hard thing is to find customers. Convince them that they need a website. Easy money.
(This is how I get my fun money that the wife can't take!) where do i learn it?
“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”
- Theodore Roosevelt
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,041
Dawg Talker
|
Dawg Talker
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,041 |
If you want to dedicate a month of learning bootstrap(css, html5 framework) you can easily creates websites, for $200-400 for small businesses. The only hard thing is to find customers. Convince them that they need a website. Easy money.
(This is how I get my fun money that the wife can't take!) where do i learn it? http://getbootstrap.com/css/http://www.w3schools.com/bootstrap/ Best Link!!! (sorry I had to)
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 6,445
Hall of Famer
|
Hall of Famer
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 6,445 |
Writing a blog about social and political issues is going to be a hard way to make an easy living. If it's something you're passionate about though, by all means do it. Write a lot of good content, build an email list with aweber, work on social media presence, and monetize your site with advertising and affiliate marketing. Just don't expect to get rich off of it.
If you want to make money from home/on the computer, you should be able to build some basic websites. I second what Lurker wrote about learning wordpress. It's easier to learn than Drupal or Joomla, and powerful enough to build any site (blog or not) that you will need. You could also do some contract work with it which will pay better than being a virtual assistant.
Some other ideas off the top of my head that I've done or at least looked into:
Adsense and the like - someone clicks on your ad, you get paid
Adwords and other PPC networks - Kind of the inverse of the above, you are the advertiser. Drive targeted traffic to a sales page of some sort, can be very lucrative (you can lose a lot of money doing it as well)
Affiliate marketing - countless ways to do it. Basically if someone clicks on your link and buys a product, you get paid. Amazon Associates is a very popular one. If you are ever reading a blog and come across a recommendation for a product on Amazon for example, it will almost certainly be an affiliate link. If you click on the link and buy something (not just the linked product), the referrer will typically earn something like 4-8% of the sale. Clickbank is another one that focuses mostly on digital products. There the commission can go up to 75% (think membership sites, software products, etc.)
Flippa - Buy and sell sites. Lots of shady people but there's an occasional gem, you just need some experience and tools to be able to pick them out
eBay - Buy and sell physical things. To add to Damanshot's anecdote about his friend selling hot wheel cars, I had a friend who used to sell T-shirts on here. He would buy them in bulk from wherever he could get them cheap (Salvation Army maybe?) for $1-2 and sell them for something like $10-$15, plus shipping. He had it worked out where the shipping would roughly cover the cost of both the shipping and shirt itself, and the sale price was all profit. I'm not sure how much he made doing this but he moved a LOT of shirts. He would look for pretty much anything with a goofy or interesting picture or quote on it.
YouTube - mostly used to build a brand although if you can get some videos to go viral (see: prank videos), you can make good money from the youtube partner advertising program.
Craigslist - buy/sell stuff in real life. meet in well-lit, public areas.
Elance - lots of digital jobs you can do here (or hire others to do). Elance mediates in any dispute and they seem to be reasonably fair.
Fiverr - another marketplace that you can buy/sell services. Minimum cost is $5 but that can be increased (seller gets 80%). You can hire out some cheap work on this site but the quality is normally pretty shoddy. You have to find the right person. Of course you can also be the seller but at such a low cost, you have to sell upgrades and/or find something that is highly animated/requires no work.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 16,199
Legend
|
Legend
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 16,199 |
Software customer support is a good work from home field. I did it for many years. Also I know many people in health insurance customer support field that work from home. Good luck, hope you find what you're looking for. Once you get that work at home gig it's a rude awaking to go back to an office job, I know first hand. 
"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 51,051
Legend
|
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 51,051 |
My cousin goes to garage and rummage sales, and buys up baby and small children clothing (which often are unworn because people buy the wrong sizes) and gently used toys. She then sells then on ebay. She doesn't make a ton of money, but she can make $400-$500/month on a good month.
Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.
John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 13,205
Legend
|
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 13,205 |
I know a guy who repairs fountain pens at home. I asked him how business was and he said not so good. I told him I was sure things would pick up soon and he burst into tears. Awkward.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 8,560
Hall of Famer
|
Hall of Famer
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 8,560 |
|
|
|
DawgTalkers.net
Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... Viable Stay at home Jobs.
|
|