V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Quote:
Cleveland Browns interested in Columbus for training camp
Posted: 02/13/2015, 12:03pm | Zach Gase, Digital Editor at Sun Times Network

The Cleveland Browns’ training camp will remain in Berea for at least one more year. Browns owner Jimmy Haslam said this week that he is interested in moving the three-week training camp to central Ohio.

More from Cleveland.com:

“It’s well known and reported that we have been talking to Columbus about potentially moving down there in a couple years, but nothing has been finalized,” Haslam said. “Training camp will be here in Berea (this year). Might we have a family day like we did in Akron last year, which was hugely successful, somewhere else? Maybe. That’s not been finalized yet.”

The Browns have been strengthening ties with Columbus, the nation’s 15th largest city, since Alec Scheiner was named team president in December 2012. Haslam has had business dealings with Alex Fischer, president and CEO of the Columbus Partnership.

“The logistics of all that are substantial,” the owner said. “It takes a while to plan and get everything in place. The No. 1 thing we want to make sure we do is provide for the welfare and safety of our players and give them a great place not just to practice but to train.”

If the Browns do end up moving their training camp to Columbus, they would likely train on the Columbus Crew’s facilities. The Browns have trained in Berea – a nearby suburb of Cleveland – since 1992.

It has been a drama-filled offseason so far for the Cleveland Browns. Quarterback Johnny Manziel has checked himself into a rehabilitation facility; star wide receiver Josh Gordon has been suspended for at least one year for testing positive for alcohol in a drug test; and general manager Ray Farmer is facing a suspension for allegedly sending illegal texts during games last season.

So...........the fans [NE Ohio residents] that have supported the Browns the most over the years will now not be able see their team in TC, but a bunch of Bengal and Squeeler fans will.

It's about marketing w/this guy. Manziel = marketing. Columbus = marketing.

The fans of NE Ohio..........we already got your loyalty, so we don't need to do anything for you and will instead raise season ticket prices and move TC so you can't attend it anymore.

You suck, Haslam!

Man, I have NEVER been more wrong about a Brown's issue in my life than when I actually thought Haslam was a God send for the Browns. I can admit when I am wrong. I was dead wrong. The guy is a crook, deceitful, and a piece of crap!

C
Legend
Legend
C
Can't people just drive to Columbus one or twice to see them in training camp? How often do people actually go to camp? Aren't there Browns fans in Columbus? Isn't making money part of what a football team is supposed to do? How many fans used to drive to Berea from Columbus?

M
Legend
Legend
M
Columbus is a competing ground between Browns and the Bengals. It kinda makes sense to consider the move. Hence, the billboards of Mike Pettine in Columbus last year, if anyone remembers. Tons of teams go off-site for training camp. We are actually one of the few that have stayed home in the past.

This was a RFP (Request for Proposal) to not just C-bus but Akron University and others as well more than a year ago, right?

Tackles are tackles.
C
Legend
Legend
C
The Saints had training camp in West Virginia last year and the Cowboys have had training camp in Oxnard (California) for ages. I really don't see how this is a big deal at all.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Yeah, this is stupid.

Tackles are tackles.
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Of course it is stupid.

Ignoring the fans that have been most loyal to you is good business. It's showing how loyal you are. It's really honorable to take something away from those who have supported you even though your team has sucked for such a long time.

Yeah.........what a stupid argument. Go crawl back in your hole.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Fans can't drive two hours? This is a complete non-issue.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
I would not expect you would understand ethics.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Coming from you that means nothing.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
There you go........make it about me. How freaking gutty. And stupid.

C
Legend
Legend
C
My bad, I thought I was talking to Versatile Dog.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
You know............this was discussed years earlier. When John Collins, i.e.--Damien from The Omen---was here, he was in negotiations to move TC to Columbus. It was all about marketing.

Thankfully, that heathen was reassigned after a fan revolt and the proposed move to Columbus never took place. Hopefully, something will happen this time too. Maybe the NFL will kick the corrupt and shady Haslam out of the league?

One can only hope.

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
IMO it is a great marketing move. I hope he does it.

#gmstrong
C
Legend
Legend
C
The Cowboys, the team with more fans than any other team, has training camp half time in California.

"I can't believe the free thing that our team provides us is a two hour drive away!"

I understand you are just trolling, but take a chill pill.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Again, this is stupid and something this team has investigated for over one year, I believe. This is a "poor man's effort" to try and create controversy where none exists.

I'd like to think most knowledgeable Browns fans new this topic as been discussed for quite some time.

Tackles are tackles.
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
It's stupid. What a brilliant comment by a brilliant poster.

Don't agree. Belittle.

Wash, rinse, repeat.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog

Don't agree. Belittle.

Wash, rinse, repeat.

This is perfect.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Had to log in for this one.

Vers, you are a buddy for a long time, but I think you are way off base here. I think you have allowed your dislike for Haslam to jade everything the guy does.

Like it or not, the guy and the team is in a battle for Ohio and it is important for the Browns to own Columbus.

When you look at TV coverage maps during the season, the Browns TV coverage is one of the smallest coverage areas on the board. Sorry my friend, as a business owner you want your base to be as broad as possible.

I see no problem at all. Not to mention it is a time honored tradtion for teams from HS on up to get away to camp out and build team chemistry. Thinking back, I think Pettine was quoted as saying he would prefer the team spent several weeks away in a remote location to train. I am sure his motives weren't for "marketing" reasons.

So the question is this: Would you rather have the Browns as the TV market draw in Ohio or would you rather Cincy have that honor?

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
M
Legend
Legend
M

Don't agree. Belittle.

Wash, rinse, repeat.

Stop drinking.

Tackles are tackles.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie

Don't agree. Belittle.

Wash, rinse, repeat.

Stop drinking.

Comments like that aren't necessary.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I live in Columbus, I drive up to Berea usually once or twice during TC. I enjoy watching an NFL team going thru their practices.. It's fascinating to me. I would not have had a problem driving 10 minutes to see camp

SaintDawg™

Football, baseball, basketball, wine, women, walleye
C
Legend
Legend
C
So you're saying that people do drive two hours to go to training camp?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Well, Berea / Baldwin Wallace campus is 126 miles from my place.. CapitalGG, my kids and I have been known to drive up for the day.. That's a 2 hour drive.

SaintDawg™

Football, baseball, basketball, wine, women, walleye
C
Legend
Legend
C
So it would be safe to assume that people would be willing to do the same in the opposite direction?

P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: cfrs15

Don't agree. Belittle.

Wash, rinse, repeat.

This is perfect.

Do you guys think he's aware that he describes himself in most of his complaints?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
So you're saying that people do drive two hours to go to training camp?

I won't drive 5 minutes to watch this team play a game, let alone practice.

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
I would not expect you would understand ethics.

I don't understand your ethical comment. Lots of teams have training camp outside of their home city. As Peen said, there is a "battle of ohio" for TV viewership. I want the Browns to win that battle to where there is no question as to what team is shown in Columbus/central Ohio. From a business standpoint it is a no brainer to have TC in central Ohio.

#gmstrong
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A

Don't agree. Belittle.

Wash, rinse, repeat.

This is perfect.

Wasn't he the one that wrote "SCREW YOU ALL!!" in some other thread?

He must be a glutton for punishment because I see that he's posting again. Maybe he can go to rehab for his addiction.

Legend
Legend
Quote:
So...........the fans [NE Ohio residents] that have supported the Browns the most over the years will now not be able see their team in TC, but a bunch of Bengal and Squeeler fans will.

It's about marketing w/this guy. Manziel = marketing. Columbus = marketing.

The fans of NE Ohio..........we already got your loyalty, so we don't need to do anything for you and will instead raise season ticket prices and move TC so you can't attend it anymore.

Do you honestly think Browns fans won't go to training camp in Cbus? I'd be willing to bet that attendance won't suffer one bit.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PDR

Don't agree. Belittle.

Wash, rinse, repeat.

This is perfect.

Do you guys think he's aware that he describes himself in most of his complaints?

Didn't Vers or someone call Daman, Captain Obvious? Does this make Vers, Major Hypocrite?

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
Had to log in for this one.

Vers, you are a buddy for a long time, but I think you are way off base here. I think you have allowed your dislike for Haslam to jade everything the guy does.

Like it or not, the guy and the team is in a battle for Ohio and it is important for the Browns to own Columbus.

When you look at TV coverage maps during the season, the Browns TV coverage is one of the smallest coverage areas on the board. Sorry my friend, as a business owner you want your base to be as broad as possible.

I see no problem at all. Not to mention it is a time honored tradtion for teams from HS on up to get away to camp out and build team chemistry. Thinking back, I think Pettine was quoted as saying he would prefer the team spent several weeks away in a remote location to train. I am sure his motives weren't for "marketing" reasons.

So the question is this: Would you rather have the Browns as the TV market draw in Ohio or would you rather Cincy have that honor?

Yep. The Browns are trying to expand their brand. That is what businesses do. They want Columbus to be "Browns Town. They have never really embraced the Bengals, but if the Browns show up there for TC, and play a decent season, maybe Browns games start beating Bengals games in the Columbus TV ratings, and the Browns are shown more often.

It's a smart move.

It also wouldn't surprise me to see some enterprising service put together a bus trip from Cleveland to Columbus for training camp. Maybe even the Browns sponsor such a thing. That could be pretty cool.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
A
Legend
Legend
A

Lighten up - YOU made it about him when you said
Quote:
I would not expect you would understand ethics

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: archbolddawg

Lighten up - YOU made it about him when you said
Quote:
I would not expect you would understand ethics

I'm glad someone else caught that.

I'm glad you have more energy/care more to call him out on it too tongue

A
Legend
Legend
A
Originally Posted By: PDR

Don't agree. Belittle.

Wash, rinse, repeat.

This is perfect.

Nothing makes me vomit more than agreeing with you - but yes, most of the time he's griping, he's griping about exactly what he himself does.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Deceit:

Quote:
the action or practice of deceiving someone by concealing or misrepresenting the truth.

Everyone knows what Haslam and the Browns are doing. Isn't that the opposite of deceitful?

Legend
Legend
In fairness, Rish, everyone calls D captain obvious.

R
Legend
Legend
R
Why did you respond to me? I don't have a post in the thread.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Oh the outrage of a business owner looking to expand his brand...how dare he not consider his fans of millions. These fans deserve to be entitled. Maybe they should even allow a concussion victim to make major decisions for the franchise, too!

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c

Man, there are more clever ways to create a thread to hate on Jimmy Haslem (which I'm all for by the way). This clearly is not one of them.

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie

Don't agree. Belittle.

Wash, rinse, repeat.

Stop drinking.

Comments like that aren't necessary.

Tackles are tackles.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Haslam's Next Move of Deceit

Link Copied to Clipboard