Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
R
Our second biggest draft need is a reliable kicker. We could have had 3 more wins and been in the playoffs if not for crucial missed Kicks.

Any great kickers available in the draft this year? We need one bad!!!

You can't fix stupid but you can destroy ignorance. When you destroy ignorance you remove the justifications for evil. If you want to destroy evil then educate our people. Hate is a tool of the stupid to deal with what they can't understand.
C
Legend
Legend
C
This is not a real thread, is it?

While we need a kicker, it is about 15th on our list of actual needs. Good kickers are available on the street every year.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I agree we need a kicker. It is hardly a early round concern. We have 2 picks in the 7th round, I would like to see one of them used to get Sam Ficken from Penn State.

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:
I agree we need a kicker. It is hardly a early round concern.

Insert Raiders/Al Davis/Mike Lombardi joke in 3...2...1...

Tackles are tackles.
D
Legend
Legend
D
Yes, we need a kicker bad. Cundiff is by far noone I would rely on when the game is on the line. However the assessment of the that being the second biggest need for this team is one I cannot agree with.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
This is not a real thread, is it?

While we need a kicker, it is about 15th on our list of actual needs. Good kickers are available on the street every year.

Then why doesn't everybody have a good one?

While I think 2nd biggest need is a stretch, it's important. If this team had not collapsed at 7 wins, I could not imagine going to Carolina or Baltimore with the playoffs on the line knowing we might be relying on Cundiff.

It's definitely worth a 6th or 7th round pick to get the one you want rather than waiting to see which ones hit the street.

yebat' Putin
P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
I think you guys missed what Razor meant. Biggest need and highest priority are different. Aside from QB our K performed the worst of any position grouping. So yes I would agree K is our 2nd biggest need, it just obviously won't be had until later.

I would really like to see us use a pick on a guy who can be hear long term. Since Phil left we've lost games due to our FG% drop. Not a lot but if a 6th round pick can be the difference between 7-9 and 9-7 well I'd say it's not as much of a throw away position as people think. Anyone know who the top 3 K's are in the draft?

Legend
Legend
According to Walters its:

1. Justin Manton - Louisiana Monroe
2. Kyle Brindza - Notre Dame
3. Michael Hunnicutt - Oklahoma
4. Andre Heidari - USC

Out of that group, I might be inclined to look at Brindza, for the simple reason that he played on grass in colder weather..

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
Quote:
Since Phil left we've lost games due to our FG% drop. Not a lot but if a 6th round pick can be the difference between 7-9 and 9-7 well I'd say it's not as much of a throw away position as people think.

Hey, I agree with you. The biggest reason people aren't worked up about getting a kicker in here is because we haven't played in an important game in a long time.

yebat' Putin
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Originally Posted By: Razorthorns
Our second biggest draft need is a reliable kicker. We could have had 3 more wins and been in the playoffs if not for crucial missed Kicks.

Our biggest need is quality depth everywhere. Score TDs prevent TDs win games. Kicker is for extra point no need for a league leading kicker.

Quick name Seattle's and New England's kicker...tick...tick...tick!!!

Legend
Legend
New England's kicker had the second highest cap number of all kickers in the NFL in 2014. Seattle's was 13th.

Gostkowski also had the 10th highest cap hit on the Pats. More than any pass rusher.

Last edited by clevesteve; 02/17/15 10:36 PM.
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Originally Posted By: clevesteve
New England's kicker had the second highest cap number of all kickers in the NFL in 2014. Seattle's was 13th.

Steve, I know you stated a need for a kicker. I'm not totally against it, but the question was second biggest need. Browns over the years, not necessarily the last several, always had a top rate kicker. Maybe the priority should point in a new direction.

I do get the need for a quality kicker. I guess I am tired of seeing my team ranked near the top in special teams. Shouldn't special team be a complement?

Legend
Legend
Oh, no I don't agree that it's our second biggest need. I thought you were piggybacking on some of the earlier comments about it not being worth it to spend dough on a kicker.

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Originally Posted By: clevesteve
Oh, no I don't agree that it's our second biggest need. I thought you were piggybacking on some of the earlier comments about it not being worth it to spend dough on a kicker.

I guess I did over do it! We agree!

Steve, kudos on your draft posts a lot of work, thanks, good info!

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Just to add fuel to the fire,

Punt Returner/Kick Off Returner.

The Browns were terrible this year in these areas as well.

This is a critique of Pettine, and improvement is needed.

I have no problem whatsoever spending 3 picks on players that will impact the game.

We can add fullback as well.

But is is worth a high draft choice, No. Rounds 5-7.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: ChargerDawg

This is a critique of Pettine, and improvement is needed.

I'm really not so sure that refusing to address a return man falls on Pettine. We as fans can obviously see the PK and return game was poor, so I'm pretty sure Pettine did too. I believe that may fall upon the people whose job it is to address personnel.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
C
Legend
Legend
C
We had better return guys on the roster (or at least guys that could hold onto the ball and not get negative yards) and they didn't return punts.

Tabor might be to blame for putting too much trust in Benjamin, but Pettine could have overruled him.

P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
Originally Posted By: bugs

Our biggest need is quality depth everywhere. Score TDs prevent TDs win games. Kicker is for extra point no need for a league leading kicker.

You mean the no1 and no 5 K in FGM for 2014? How does everyone not know who Gostkowski and Hauchska are?

C
Legend
Legend
C
I wonder if made field goals is related to the success of an offense. After a quick look I don't think it is. Hauschka's percentages were about league average, Gostowski was among the best in the league.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: predator16
Originally Posted By: bugs

You mean the no1 and no 5 K in FGM for 2014? How does everyone not know who Gostkowski and Hauchska are?

They don't play fantasy football. Or.. Watch football..

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
Quick name the top two kickers in field goal % this year? Then name New Englands K's for the last 15 years? Then who was that team that's won 4 superbowls in 15 years while winning multiple playoff games off the leg of a complimentary player? You put that percentage on the browns and we're 10-6.

So the point is to discuss the K's available and no one has any interest.

Last edited by predator16; 02/18/15 03:13 PM.
P
Legend
Legend
P
We had better return guys on the roster (or at least guys that could hold onto the ball and not get negative yards) and they didn't return punts.

Tabor might be to blame for putting too much trust in Benjamin, but Pettine could have overruled him.

I don't know that to be true at all. I wasn't at the practices to know how the players performed. For me to buy into this I would have to believe that Pettine saw what we all did and refused to play who he felt was the best returners in practice.

I simply don't buy into that.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
Quick, name how many games were decided by 3 points or less.

#gmstrong
P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
Quick, name how many games were decided by 3 points or less.

2 plus one that was decided by 4 in a game with 2 punts from a good kickers field goal range.

P
Legend
Legend
P
So while that was in a year that those games were pretty meaningless, in other years they could decide a playoff birth. I know that doesn't mean anything but......

Wait, maybe it does?

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
So.... we're all in agreement that we're snagging a Kicker at #12, then, right??

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

P
Legend
Legend
P
rofl tsktsk

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
E
Legend
Legend
E
Actually if we are a playoff contender it is a very big need. Still we got the money and I never say that but for Dawson (I think a previous mistake) pay him 4 mil...in Football money its not severe yes for kicker its high. But he is good and still is good!

Dallas used a pick on their kicker he did great...what round did they use to get him?

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
So.... we're all in agreement that we're snagging a Kicker at #12, then, right??

Kickers win games. I don't get why the first round isn't littered with kickers who were busts the way it is with QBs.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker

Kickers win games. I don't get why the first round isn't littered with kickers who were busts the way it is with QBs.

Well we could go kicker, OT, and/or C. Other than kicker, those are the only positions in the first round they have had any luck at drafting. You could also put CB in there because of Haden, but then Farmer drafted Gilbert.

N
Legend
Legend
N

simple. 1st round drafted kickers don't bust.

#gmstrong
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: no_logo_required

This is true. 100% success rate. Let's do it. Although we might want to wait till that FSU kicker is in the draft.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: no_logo_required

This is true. 100% success rate. Let's do it. Although we might want to wait till that FSU kicker is in the draft.

I change my argument.

There have been three kickers drafted in the first round:

Sebastian Janikowski
Steve Little
Charlie Gogolak

Little and Gogolak were horrible. That is only a 33% success rate.

I now don't think we should draft a kicker in the first round.

R
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
R
I think we could probably get whatever kicker we wanted in the 3rd or 4th round and easily add 3-6 points per game. I just don't know which kickers in college are any good because you only hear about kickers when they suck ^^

You can't fix stupid but you can destroy ignorance. When you destroy ignorance you remove the justifications for evil. If you want to destroy evil then educate our people. Hate is a tool of the stupid to deal with what they can't understand.
P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
I would reiterate my point but alas it is worthless. Thanks for reminding me why I didn't post for years. Morons thumbsup

E
Legend
Legend
E
Thats what they do. Mock posters instead of discussing.

What baffles me is they are DEAD WRONG and yet they mock you. I don't think the fact of need doesn't automatically have you taking one in the first or 2nd. You take the guy you target and if its 5th round and we are afraid he won't be there we take him 4th round. But because its a NEED we go and utilize a draft pick for somebody special. Rather than bring 4 guys in UDFA and see what floats to the top.

Don't stop posting. We agree and several other posters - this Kindergarten attitude is lame and chasing posters away. So they can have the sand box. Gosh forbid if we actually kept it to a discussion with football. Instead we get.

I SAID KICKERS ARE NOT RELEVANT AND SO IT SHALL BE A FACT! smh...juvenile just juvenile and they are so wrong!

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

Legend
Legend
j/c...

So, it's not directly relevant, but I'm going to use this opportunity to point out the most ridiculous draft era in Browns history.

In 1977, the Browns drafted Tom Skladany of Ohio State in the second round. He was a punter.

In 1978, the Browns drafted Johnny Evans of NC State in the second round. He was also a punter.

In 1981, the Browns drafted Steve Cox of Arkansas in the fifth round. He was, yes, a punter.

In 5 years, the Browns used two second round picks and one 5th round pick on a punter.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The only reason the last 2 events happened is because Skladany held out and never signed with the Browns so he was traded.

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
Legend
Legend
Not to lecture here, but I agree that playing whack-a-mole with some posters seems to be where they want to be. Rather see football more often than we do.

Observation for all it is worth: "Critics are legless men who would teach running."

More pigskin, please.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
E
Legend
Legend
E
Punters...wow.

Of course when I say and I think Preditor says Kicker we are talking FG/Kickoff/ex pt. Kickers. I'm just surprised at some of the remarks when teams over the years had the position of kicker keep them out of the Championship games.

As was stated we had several games determined by the kicker specifically off the top of my head Raven game #1. But I know there was at least 2 more. 10-6.

Bard...yeah just hate to see a poster might leave cause he was nipped at the heals by a viscous pack of Chihuahuas lol laugh

jmho

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2015 NFL Season The NFL Draft 2015 Our Second Biggest Draft Need

Link Copied to Clipboard