cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Link

Mother of God.

Quote:
GM Trent Baalke strongly denies the 49ers are shopping Colin Kaepernick.

Link

Last edited by cfrs15; 03/09/15 02:53 AM. Reason: Baalke info
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
My first thought is Kaepernick to the Eagles in exchange for Foles and picks.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Got anything remotely reliable to back that up from an actual news source?

You can't fix stupid but you can destroy ignorance. When you destroy ignorance you remove the justifications for evil. If you want to destroy evil then educate our people. Hate is a tool of the stupid to deal with what they can't understand.
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
That's the best I got. He's the guy that "broke" the story. Less reliable news sources have been used before.

C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Tim Kawakami (who is highly respected) wrote this about a month ago:

Quote:
If the 49ers released Colin Kaepernick today, they wouldn’t owe him another dollar, dime or penny.

Yes, that’s a deal supposedly signed through 2020 but actually guaranteeing the 49ers quarterback zippo from here on out.

Of course, the 49ers aren’t going to hit the Franchise QB Eject Button quite yet. I’m not in any way suggesting that they will.

Not yet.

Kaepernick remains the 49ers’ singular offensive focus for the 2015 season even after all the recent coaching tumult and perhaps as a result of it, too.

But the big-picture QB reality has three parts:

* Kaepernick was Jim Harbaugh’s personally selected and groomed QB and Harbaugh isn’t the 49ers’ coach any more.

New coach Jim Tomsula has seen Kaepernick play spectacularly and play poorly, but all that was when Tomsula was the 49ers’ defensive line coach.

Tomsula’s connection with and level of commitment to Kaepernick is unknown and general manager Trent Baalke and owner Jed York are making this call, anyway.

* Kaepernick’s performance level slipped last season and now he’ll be dealing with the first coaching change and possibly the first full schematic changes of his NFL career (depending on what Chryst does with the playbook).

* The 49ers signed Kaepernick to a deal last summer that gave them the right to cut Kaepernick now… or next spring… or the next spring after that (as long as it’s before April 1 each year)… without a blink.

Add that all up and that sets up 2015 as a virtual lame-duck QB season.

Which is sort of a franchise specialty these days–management and Harbaugh went through an accelerated lame-duck coaching crisis in 2014 due to Harbaugh’s contract status and now Kaepernick’s non-guaranteed contract is the 49ers’ next ticking time bomb.

Can’t you see it coming?

If Kaepernick and Tomsula don’t quite seem in sync in the first few weeks of training camp…
Or if new offensive coordinator Geep Chryst—Kaepernick’s former position coach—can’t immediately lift Kaepernick’s production after the dip in 2014…

Or if new quarterbacks coach Steve Logan doesn’t quite bond with Kaepernick…

Or if Baalke lets Michael Crabtree and Frank Gore go in free agency this spring and the 49ers’ offensive personnel takes a downslide…

Or if York’s proclaimed desire to see Kaepernick run the ball dynamically is either stuffed by NFL defenses or gets Kaepernick bruised up and off-kilter…

Or if the 49ers just aren’t very good in 2015, period.

If any or all of that happens, everybody had better be prepared for constant scrutiny and pointed discussions about Kaepernick’s future with the 49ers after 2015, because that’s exactly how the 49ers designed this contract.

York’s comments seem to point to the conclusion that Kaepernick is at his best when he’s running the ball, which certainly could be true.

But if the 49ers think he’s better as a runner than as a passer, and if most run-first QBs have shorter shelf-lives, is Kaepernick really worth all those back-loaded salaries?

In truth, the “seven-year, $126-million deal” Kaepernick signed last summer actually amounted to a $13-million signing bonus and then seven separate one-year contracts.

By the way, his 2015 salary has already “de-escalated” by $2 million—down to $10.4 million—because he didn’t make the All-Pro team or lead the 49ers to the Super Bowl.

It was a bad deal for Kaepernick and it wasn’t the most cap-friendly situation for the 49ers, who still must account for Kaepernick’s future salaries in cap projections.

According to the excellent overthecap.com website, Kaepernick’s cap number for 2015 now is $15.3 million (adding in the pro-rated bonus amount).

For 2016, it’s $16.8 million.

For 2017, it’s $19.7 million.

You see where this is headed.

We can expect that the 49ers will draft a QB probably by the fourth round or so this year, which I heard they were planning to do last season but changed their minds.

In 2014, all they had behind Kaepernick was Blaine Gabbert and Josh Johnson and neither could be offered up even as a pretend challenger for the starting job.

This spring, the 49ers almost certainly will let Gabbert go and they’ll hope to land a veteran with a more realistic chance to compete with Kaepernick in 2015.

But Kaepernick is going to be the starting quarterback and it will be up to Tomsula, Chryst and, of course, Kaepernick himself to see if he can turn this around.

If there’s no turn around, the 49ers will face a decision next spring. They’ll be thinking about it all year, every day, and Kaepernick should be thinking about it, too.

And maybe by the end of it, Kaepernick will be just as content if the 49ers let him go to find somebody who might guarantee him slightly more than the minimum amount required.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
No.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Don't know what i feel about it. It's friendly contract to get out of if he doesn't work out. He is certainly better than anything we have now. He can be successful if you kater to his style of play.

What would he be worth though? our #19? our 2nd?

You can't fix stupid but you can destroy ignorance. When you destroy ignorance you remove the justifications for evil. If you want to destroy evil then educate our people. Hate is a tool of the stupid to deal with what they can't understand.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
j/c

Either way I couldn't see him coming here. Say if they trade him here for players or a pick. They would be in the same boat we are in at the moment. Their backups show Blaine Gabbert and Josh Johnson on ESPN depth chart, I would highly doubt they would go into the season with one of them starting.

If they go the free agency route, they would be going through the fun pool of players we are going through at the moment. If they plan to draft one (they have the 15th pick) I would guess they aren't getting one of Mariotta or Winston. So would expect they would need a "bridge" QB for their 2nd-4th round QB pick.

Only things I could see is:

- If Cutler is released, they go after him

- trade and pick up Ryan Mallett (if they are staying with the power run game, since they are moving to Carlos Hyde as their main back now)

- (Like cfrs said) they trade him to Philly for Foles *OR* some crazy three man trade with: Foles to Niners, Kaepernick to the Browns, and one or two of our first round picks to Philly so they can try to trade up to get Mariotta. (yes I did say it was a crazy trade)

I would expect they will do what the article says keep him this year, see if he progresses and draft a QB. If he doesn't, next year they cut or trade him and start the guy they've been grooming.

I really haven't watched much of him so I really don't have a valid opinion on wanting him or not. I just know of what I read about him saying he's regressed.

R
Legend
Legend
R
I find the 49ers situation fascinating and heartbreaking all at the same time. I put myself in the shoes of 49er fans, and I almost want to cry. I imagine something like this happening to the Browns. I mean this type of stuff would be the type of thing that typically only happens to the Browns. Let's take a look at the chronology.

1. Nearly Browns level sucking for almost a decade.
2. Finally hire a great coach. Takes them to NFC Championship first season.
3. Also coaches up former first round pick and has him playing well.
4. Grooms QB draft choice who steps in for injured first round QB and doesn't skip a beat. Actually takes them to Super Bowl. Nearly wins.
5. Then takes them to another conference championship. Three in a row for Harbaugh. Two in a row for Kaep.
6. Then have a down season at 8-8.
7. Fire one of the 5 best coaches in the NFL over a personality clash and 1 8-8 season after three straight conference championships and one Super Bowl appearance.
8. Hire a coach that everyone is making fun of them for.
9. Put Kaep on trading block.

If the Browns ever hit on a coach and QB at the same time, this script is so fitting for them. The Browns would undoubtedly find a way to screw it up. I mean the 9ers were looking like they were on the verge of a dynasty, and now they look like they are heading for a double digit loss season. Just bizarre.

Kaep can't read defenses after the snap. Someone in the NFL figured this out and the book is now out on him. I don't think he's very good at all so this isn't to defend him at all. This post is simply to marvel at a situation that seemed so promising once and just came crashing down in an epic thump.

I find it bizarre and fascinating.

Legend
Legend
Wow, that is sad in a way. But at least they made it to the playoffs LOL

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Link

Mother of God.

Quote:
GM Trent Baalke strongly denies the 49ers are shopping Colin Kaepernick.

Link

Doubt it has any truth to it.

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
This has been denied by the 49ers. Link is at PFT. Didn't copy it.

And I wouldn't even consider obtaining this dim-wit for half a second.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I'm not huge on Kaepernick's maturity or inconsistencies but I would take him in a heart beat over Josh McCown.

If they would trade him to us for a 3rd & 4th round pick, I would do it, assuming Kaepernick is willing to come here.

"You can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave"
P
Legend
Legend
P
No way would I trade for Kaepernick ... JMHO tsktsk

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
Legend
Legend
I have trouble believing this; I do have trouble with bringing him here. We already anointed McCown, did we not?

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Rishuz
I find the 49ers situation fascinating and heartbreaking all at the same time. I put myself in the shoes of 49er fans, and I almost want to cry. I imagine something like this happening to the Browns. I mean this type of stuff would be the type of thing that typically only happens to the Browns. Let's take a look at the chronology.

1. Nearly Browns level sucking for almost a decade.
2. Finally hire a great coach. Takes them to NFC Championship first season.
3. Also coaches up former first round pick and has him playing well.
4. Grooms QB draft choice who steps in for injured first round QB and doesn't skip a beat. Actually takes them to Super Bowl. Nearly wins.
5. Then takes them to another conference championship. Three in a row for Harbaugh. Two in a row for Kaep.
6. Then have a down season at 8-8.
7. Fire one of the 5 best coaches in the NFL over a personality clash and 1 8-8 season after three straight conference championships and one Super Bowl appearance.
8. Hire a coach that everyone is making fun of them for.
9. Put Kaep on trading block.

If the Browns ever hit on a coach and QB at the same time, this script is so fitting for them. The Browns would undoubtedly find a way to screw it up. I mean the 9ers were looking like they were on the verge of a dynasty, and now they look like they are heading for a double digit loss season. Just bizarre.

Kaep can't read defenses after the snap. Someone in the NFL figured this out and the book is now out on him. I don't think he's very good at all so this isn't to defend him at all. This post is simply to marvel at a situation that seemed so promising once and just came crashing down in an epic thump.

I find it bizarre and fascinating.

SF never rose to the Clev. Brown's level of suckage. And Harbaugh was not technically fired, even if you believe his version. He left. And if the Brown's ever do get to the championship level like SF did with Harbaugh. The HC and QB will be revered as the second coming of Paul Brown and Otto Graham in Cleveland and be immortalized in NE Ohio.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PastorMarc
No way would I trade for Kaepernick ... JMHO tsktsk

Yeah we have good ole reliable and aging McClown and a 2nd year QB with 3 starts. We don't need any stinkin QB's that have taken other NFL teams deep into the playoffs. That being said, we would never have a chance at Kap anyways. So no worries right?

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Quote:
and a 2nd year QB with 3 starts.

did shaw start 3 games?

being a browns fan is like taking your dog to vet every week to be put down...
P
Legend
Legend
P
SF was a playoff team because of their D and their run game not because of what their QB did or did not do ... I think I would rather give Johnny his shot than giving picks to the Niner's for Kaepernick ... JMHO thumbsup

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
Legend
Legend

Dream on.

There is no way Kaepernick is going anywhere.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I haven't seen anyone anoint anybody as of yet.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted By: bonefish

Dream on.

There is no way Kaepernick is going anywhere.

I don't think it would be all that surprising either.

He has regressed.

He is really only effective as a runner. He's damn good at that, but that's also an injury waiting to happen. Make Kaepernick a pocket passer, and he can't beat you. The book is out.

If I were the 49ers, though, I wouldn't give up on him. Keep working with him and develop him.

Which leads me to a question for Vers ... why do you say that people can't learn to read defenses post snap? Why can't that be a learned skill?

D
Legend
Legend
D
49er fans may stage a coup if they trade Colin factoring the big announcements they made. It's like, destined to be an entirely new roster there in San Francisco. Hell, a new team factoring the Harbaugh ordeal. Glad our offseason isn't like theirs (for once!)

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
j/c

No...

Please no

no.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
The report has been disputed by the 49ers GM, but why would anyone be against trading for Kaepernick?

C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
SF was a playoff team because of their D and their run game not because of what their QB did or did not do ... I think I would rather give Johnny his shot than giving picks to the Niner's for Kaepernick ... JMHO thumbsup

None of this is true and/or makes sense.

P
Legend
Legend
P

I guess you didn't watch many Niners games ... superconfused

C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C

Kaepernick was not a huge part of the run game?

Legend
Legend
Figured it was so if Hoyer goes and JM cannot. Figure he is starter.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:
Which leads me to a question for Vers ... why do you say that people can't learn to read defenses post snap? Why can't that be a learned skill?

I think that QBs study a lot w/their coaches and they can read defenses pre-snap. Those defensive alignments are a great indicator of what coverage the team is going to play. If the team doesn't mix-up their coverage post-snap, the qb can usually make a good read, provided he has been well-trained and he is a smart guy.

Where it gets tricky is when teams stray from their tendencies. For example, you watch film on a team all week and you see example after example of them running Cover 3 when they line up in a certain defensive alignment. But this time, it's a facade and the team changes it's coverage to Cover 1. The qb then has to actually read where all the defenders are because they are NOT where he thought they would be in the Cover 3 read.

The speed of the game is such that guys like you and me would have no clue where anyone is. It would be just a blur. And for many qbs, the game moves way too fast when teams switch up their coverages or if you make a poor pre-snap read.

Think about this.........have you ever heard an announcer say.........where was he throwing it or have you ever said......how did he not see that guy? Yeah, we've all said those things. Reading coverages post-snap is extremely difficult.

Guys who are sacked a high amount of times are typically weak at reading coverages post snap. They are not sure of what they are seeing, thus they hold the ball too long. Think about some of our guys that we have had.......Couch and Weeden were notorious for holding the ball too long. They could not read coverages. RGIII is really struggling w/that aspect of the game. It's why he is sucking. Kap is another one who hasn't been able to do it.

That is why I am so leery of guys who are not asked to read coverages in college. Yeah, they might have that gift [although very few human beings do] but we have no idea if they can or not because they were never asked to do it.

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
The report has been disputed by the 49ers GM, but why would anyone be against trading for Kaepernick?

6/4/2014: Signed a seven-year, $126.97 million contract. The deal contains $61 million guaranteed, although only $13.073 was guaranteed at signing -- a $12,328,766 signing bonus, Kaepernick's 2014 base salary, and a $100,000 first-year workout bonus.

Kaepernick's 2015-2017 base salaries are guaranteed only for injury. Kaepernick is eligible for annual $2 million per-game roster bonuses and offseason workout bonuses of $400,000 in years two through seven.

2015: $12.4 million,
2016: $13.9 million,
2017: $16.5 million,
2018: $17 million,
2019: $18.8 million,
2020: $21 million,
2021: Free Agent

C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Good QBs make lots of money. This is something we are not used to.

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
No question good QBs make a lot of money. Knowing we'd need to give up picks and take on those salary numbers, I can see why people don't want to trade for him.

I'm not convinced he's a good QB though (I'm not convinced he isn't a good qb either). At times, he's very good (See Dallas or the first St. Louis last year) and others terrible (see the first Seattle game last year). To be fair, I only watched 5 or 6 of his games last year and that is probably the same the last couple years. A step up from what we've had for sure though.

B
Legend
Legend
B
I don't worry about money. Some people act like it is their money being spent.

I only worry about the cap dollars and if the player is any good or not. Teams and player agents can get pretty creative to guard the players interests and the teams interests.

I don't care if some player is scheduled to make 20 mil next year. At least if you have done your projections correctly, which I might add that most teams are pretty good at projecting. Most teams have a "capoligist", which can be a lawyer/accountant team....one for the wording and one for the numbers....or someone with both skills.

My guess is that we have been told we won't be as active this year is because while we have a bunch of money this year, things begin to tighten up over the next 3-5 years.

The person or team of people looking at the cap have to project 3-5 years down the road based on the contracts on book. It could be we can't do a whole lot this year because if we do, we risk losing this guy, this guy, and this guy in 2-3 years when their contracts are up.

It's pretty complicated stuff.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
We have to spend 70 Mil in the next two years..

I assume some people will be getting locked up in the next few years, but eventually we're ganna have to spend some money..

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Originally Posted By: ThatGuy
We have to spend 70 Mil in the next two years..

I assume some people will be getting locked up in the next few years, but eventually we're ganna have to spend some money..

I would think that they know that. What's Mack going to cost to re-sign next year? What's it cost if we have to tag him (and i'm not sure we can)

I honestly think we are better off with as few free agents as possible. Keep developing these guys, find a damn qb, and then you plug in the last hole with a free agent.

Attitude is everything....FEAR THE ELF!!!
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c

Kaepernick signed a big contract for $110M and $61M guaranteed. With the way his play has regressed I can see why the 49ers might be having buyers remorse and would possibly seek a trade.

However, finding a trade partner willing to take on Kaepernick's contract may be more difficult. A trade partner might want to restructure his contract before agreeing to a trade and if I'm Kaepernick there is no way I agree to that. Take the money while you can.

It almost reminds of the Bradford situation, in that, if the Rams could move him, they would, in my opinion.

Peronally, I'd be surprised if he goes anywhere, but who knows.

P
Legend
Legend
P

Kaepernick was not a huge part of the run game?

Yes he was, I didn't say he was horrible, all I said was he isn't worth trading away our picks for, I just don't happen to want him here, that's my story and I'm sticking to it thumbsup

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
No thanks.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Yeah, why obtain a tall athletic QB that has shown he can play the position? Much better to count on the smallest QB in the league. A guy who's shown he can't stay healthy for two entire games. Oh, and he's a headcase drunk who's in rehab. MUCH better choice than Kap. *snicker*

Kap is not available, because while the niners have shown they are brain dead this off season, even THEY wouldn't get rid of a franchise QB with no replacement in sight.
That said, if their insanity did allow them to part ways with Kap, I'd give up one of our firsts for him. He is a real QB. Something this team doesn't currently have. He can throw, he can run and he's big enough to survive a season.

When we are on our 3rd or perhaps even 4th QB this November, ask yourself if you'd want a guy like Kap on the team then..... bet you have a different answer....

#BlackLivesMatter #StopAsianHate
Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Colin Kaepernick available in trade

Link Copied to Clipboard