W
Originally Posted By: bugs
udder chaos in Browns FO.

Oh, man! Now we're bringing cows into this discussion as well? rofl

Sorry, bugs. I had to do it.... poke

#gmstrong.
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
We are in the most competitive league in the ENTIRE WORLD. NO ONE is going to tank a season before it begins. Any given Sunday.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: 1day
We are in the most competitive league in the ENTIRE WORLD. NO ONE is going to tank a season before it begins. Any given Sunday.

tell the colts that.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
I dont think think they tanked they were what they were. A bad team with a great QB, and when he left, they were a bad team.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
The current Colts team, minus Luck, is not even a .500 team.

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Originally Posted By: WVDawg54
Originally Posted By: bugs
udder chaos in Browns FO.

Oh, man! Now we're bringing cows into this discussion as well? rofl

Sorry, bugs. I had to do it.... poke

Whoopss...I hate spell check even if it saves me from time to time!!! Good Spot!

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Swish
Originally Posted By: CoachDKH
Time to scratch my seven year itch! Haven't posted in that time frame but have been creeping....Being an ex-coach I always like reading EOTAB's posts! I'm cautiously optimistic with this regime so I'm getting a little excited, thus a long lost poster returns. It struck me reading these posts that we would have a "throw away season" CAN NOT ALLOW MYSELF TO BELIEVE THAT!

When a parent used to complain to me that "why isn't my kid playing, he's one of your best players" I always chuckle to myself. As a coach I wanted to win a heck of a lot more than anyone else and my livelihood relied on it, so if a player could withstand the rigors and could help me win...heck yeah he played. I gotta assume in the NFL (NOT FOR LONG LEAGUE) coaches / gm would do the same or they would be unemployed.

hey guys, is this the infamous Coach B you guys are always talking about?

I doubt it. His post actually made sense.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: Brown to the Bone
Originally Posted By: ddubia
I think what they mean by the QB position being "stabilized" is that the QB room will now have all guys who will get along and help each other.

Hoyer didn't seem to be that guy by his own admission when he said he wouldn't re-sign here so long as 1st round pick Manzel was waiting in the wings.

I think his attitude changed over time but I'd also bet it made for a tense QB room, early on especially and even more so after he'd said that and at least still somewhat at the end.

I don't think they really feel that Josh McCown is a savior of any sort. But I do believe they feel it is stabilized compared to last year. I also think the addition of Thad Lewis contributes to that as he at least has some game experience. Last season the only QB with any game experience was Hoyer and he didn't have much at all.

Dude you can spin this and likely will anyway you like, just as the Browns FO has but if anyone thinks for a minute that the QB situation is stable in Cleveland your NUTS, period the END.

I guess it's all in how you define "stabilized". There will be no animosity or bad blood in the QB room this season. By that definition it's stabilized compared to last year.

I think Hoyer held a strong, negative attitude toward Manzel by his own admission. You don't want that kind of dynamic within any position group. QB especially. Last season the QB situation was rocky at best. I think that is the major reason the FO didn't want Hoyer in the mix.

Call it what you will, define it however you wish, in regards to the QB's as a group the situation has been "stabilized" with the release of Hoyer and the addition of McCown.

Quote:
...your NUTS...

How about we leave my NUTS out of it. They've become sensitive to negative remarks in my old age. wink

#gmstrong
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: eotab
rish...here is my problem with Johnny 2.0...the Browns had to dumb down the level of talent at the QB position just so JM has a chance to start.

mac I'll try even though I'm sure you will not waiver to reasoning.

In regards to Hoyer. We made him an offer he told us he wanted to see the FA Market. Teams don't wait. We saw an opportunity on a similar QB who in our Lose Gain also meant a draft pick obtained in that exchange.

Not to be harsh but Hoyer had his opportunity and after that 1st Bengal game he just progressively got worse. It was not Mack, it was not this or that...His game just went BAD. I liked him we all wish he would have continued playing well.

Dummy down the opportunity? Right the Coaches have no desire to win - we wish to jeopardize wins so that we can coddle a Manziel. What part of Pettine's running the team spells that out for you???

Articles and on our QB situation....in the DEAD Zone...are you kidding. Its like when posters use to yell out "FREE POST" to get post counts up. Of course the biggest source to much the ado is Agents. And Some people were coming down hard on Chip so conveniently he states he had an offer of a 1st rounder already in less then 24 hours of the deal.

Of course Chip wouldn't make something up right? Something that would create more value if he wanted to. Something to get the media off his back for the deal...and it worked.

Creat an exact situation for Manziel...like what mac. Making an environment that he would succeed in...OH THE HORROR. We are trying to get production from our HIGH Invested QB PROSPECT....lol laugh How is this bad.

And we don't know if all this is for Manziel? The Mariota thing still might be in play? We might do a mid round draft in Mannion or another.

Are we going to give Manziel every opportunity to be the Starting QB? HECK YEAH why is that a bad thing. See your opinion is that you have decided Manziel is worthless so because of that our Coaches should think like Mac...how dare they!

If Manziel has his head on straight and he starts working harder than anyone. If not - I expect us for sure to go for Mariota. But common sense would say Manziel plays and earns his keep. Just cause the Media is snickering - they have snickered before and looked foolish. So what. The media are just Parrots.

jmho Making an comfortable environment for Manziel to succeed and Cutting off our nose to spite our face are two different things.

EO...nice spin

If the Browns wanted a QB of Hoyer's talent level, they could have signed him...you know it...I know it...so stop with the excuses why Haslam and Farmer did not sign Hoyer.

Bottom line, Manziel could not beat out Hoyer last year and he would likely have a hard time doing it this year. So there was no way the Browns could sign Hoyer, if the #1 priority was to name Manziel the starting QB this season.

Quote:
Dummy down the opportunity? Right the Coaches have no desire to win - we wish to jeopardize wins so that we can coddle a Manziel. What part of Pettine's running the team spells that out for you???

EO...that is not what I said...I said this..."rish...here is my problem with Johnny 2.0...the Browns had to dumb down the level of talent at the QB position just so JM has a chance to start."

McCown's record as a NFL QB is so bad that NO ONE will have a problem believing that Manziel was able to beat out McCown for the starting job.

Months ago I brought this scenario up, where the Browns would not even try to sign Hoyer, clearing the way for them to name Manziel as the starter. It's looking like my prediction is on track to materialize like I believed it might.

Many of you poo-pooed the idea that the Browns would set up such a situation, clearing the deck for JF. Many said there would be "other moves coming at QB", besides the McCown signing. Some believed the Browns would be making more moves (FA, veteran, draft) and any idea that our front office was making up a plan to hand the starting job to JM wasn't gonna happen.

I will say this, I have overlooked Thad Lewis. I believe he may be the best QB on our roster...let's see if Lewis gets a chance to compete for the starting job...or will he be cut without even getting a chance?

I said "I hope I'm wrong"...but it's looking more and more like I'm right.

Winning is not the #1 priority for Haslam and Farmer...and I have a problem with that.

I guess some of you enjoy "being played"...

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:
I think Hoyer held a strong, negative attitude toward Manzel by his own admission. You don't want that kind of dynamic within any position group. QB especially. Last season the QB situation was rocky at best. I think that is the major reason the FO didn't want Hoyer in the mix.

You believe wrongly, but I will do you one better. Lets assume what you say is true (which it isn't). Lets for the sake of argument assume your correct.

Here is Hoyer putting in the work and playing and performing at a much higher level constantly not receiving the backing form the FO or the coaches for that matter in favor of a lazy drunk. Now I have labeled JF a lazy drunk, am I wrong? Hoyer worked his tail off JF laid on his ass with a drink in his hand right or wrong?

Now we are all suppose to be all happy because the FO has set it up for JF to be the man on the field. Now ask yourself why wouldn't I be all happy? Why wouldn't I believe we are screwed. Of course McCown is better then Hoyer, McCown had real weapons around him last season to work with in the weakest division in the NFL and he could muster up a solid 1-10 record. I can see why he was the better option then Hoyer. And now it hits me why you believe that the QB situation is stabilized.

The truth, the real truth is the FO viewed Hoyer as a problem in the locker room and in the seats. When JF falls on his face the players in the locker room will have to roll with JF and Hoyer won't be a problem, and when the fans grow increasingly anti JF there will be no Hoyer to fall back on. Will have to face down losing so it become sink or swim for JF and the Browns, there will be NO plan B.

Hoyer was the leader both on the field and in the locker room the players loved him, and the FO views that as a problem and that is the reason Hoyer isn't here. He was a team guy no matter how hard fans like yourself TRY to demonize the guy.

But he isn't here and I believe that placing the fate of the season in JF hands after what he did last season (lazy drunk) is foolish, not based on what you or others would LIKE to believe but based off what he showed and what he did. At this point I can judge him based on what he did. He was Lazy (by his own admit ion, and he was a or is a drunk). He played like crap based on what I saw, he was a disappointment all the way around and you can't blame that on Hoyer.

Quote:
Call it what you will, define it however you wish, in regards to the QB's as a group the situation has been "stabilized" with the release of Hoyer and the addition of McCown.

You want to ignore everything and stick your head in the sand and wish for the best, I get it are you ready for what is likely coming?

I'm certainly NOT saying JF can't turn it around but man its pretty damned unlikekly don't you think?

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Can't believe I am in a group that is comprised of the best NOT just fans but people on the planet.
Legend
Legend
you realize as well as hoyer played at the beginning of the season, he single handedly played us out of the playoffs last year, right?

You're talking about this guy like he was the second coming of manning. he's not. Hell, Kyle Orton got the bills to 9 wins, Hoyer couldn't even do that. If he can't even play at an Orton level, then we should keep him around because.....

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
you realize as well as hoyer played at the beginning of the season, he single handedly played us out of the playoffs last year, right?

You're talking about this guy like he was the second coming of manning. he's not. Hell, Kyle Orton got the bills to 9 wins, Hoyer couldn't even do that. If he can't even play at an Orton level, then we should keep him around because.....

Until we had a better option he was our best option. To think after 16 starts and 10-6 record to go with it that Hoyer had hit his ceiling is short sighted IMO.

JF didn't even come close to showing anything at ALL yet we should hang the fate of the team on his shoulders and run with it. JF shouldn't have to show anything what-so-ever but he should be the starter not because he is better, but because we cleared out all possible competition for him and I object. Last year PET said that it was all about everyone competing for the starting gig, right.

Do you think thats still true?

They can put all the lipstick on this pig they and you want but its still a pig, and an obvious pig at that.

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Can't believe I am in a group that is comprised of the best NOT just fans but people on the planet.
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

swish...WRONG!!!

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: mac
Quote:

swish...WRONG!!!

yea...I'm right. Cause if he played like he did the first half of the season, we would be in the playoffs.

it's really that simple.

- Theodore Roosevelt
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
You assume so much, I wish I had your inside info rolleyesdevil

#gmstrong
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

swish...WRONG!!!

yea...I'm right. Cause if he played like he did the first half of the season, we would be in the playoffs.

it's really that simple.

swish...you are wrong...100% WRONG !

Now you resort to "hypotheticals"..."IF" Hoyer had done this or if Hoyer had done that.

Now for the truth...the Browns were setting at 7-4 after a win over the Falcons on Nov 23.

Then 2 tough losses to the Bills and Colts left the Browns at 7-6 and still with a chance to make the playoffs when "someone" thought it would be a good idea to start our hard working rookie, Johnny Football, against the Bengals.

The Bengals, a team that Hoyer played against just 5 weeks earlier, winning at Cinci 24-3.

As you know, Johnny Football laid a "30-0 egg" against the Bengals, eliminating the Browns from playoff contention.

Last season, the AFC North had 3 teams in the playoffs with the Ravens getting a wild card birth with a 10-6 record. The Browns had 6 losses when Manziel took over and were still in the hunt for a playoff birth, which ended with JF's first start as a Pro.

So, as you can see, you are 100% WRONG

Last edited by mac; 03/28/15 05:06 PM.

Legend
Legend
lol....

so why did JF end up starting those games?

Cause last time i checked, JF didn't start magically because Pettine felt like doing a good deed.

you're making it seem like it just randomly happened, instead of telling the TRUTH: Hoyer played like trash, played his OWN self out of the starting position.

We have a really bad habit of defending bums on this team once they leave.

Hoyer is gone. he ended up playing like trash. If he was good, he'd still be here.

let it go.

Last edited by Swish; 03/28/15 05:11 PM.

- Theodore Roosevelt
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

swish...did you even read my post?

I said "someone" thought of the bright idea of starting "our hard working rookie".

Hoyer didn't start him...

I doubt that it was Pettine's decision to start him...

But there is a very good chance that the guy who was texting the sidelines for Haslam, played a role in the decision to start Johnny freaking Football.

When was the last time that Browns fans even had a discussion about making the playoffs in December?

You have Hoyer to thank for that...

...and you have Johnny Football to thank for the ass kicking from the Bengals, 30-0, which ended the Browns last hope for making the playoffs in 2014.

Last edited by mac; 03/28/15 05:17 PM.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
lol....

Cause last time i checked, JF didn't start magically because Pettine felt like doing a good deed.

you're making it seem like it just randomly happened, instead of telling the TRUTH: Hoyer played like trash, played his OWN self out of the starting position.

We have a really bad habit of defending bums on this team once they leave.

Hoyer is gone. he ended up playing like trash. If he was good, he'd still be here.

let it go.

If NOT for Hoyer we are NOT 7-4 to begin with.

If Hoyer played like trash then what was it that we saw from JF that we all should sign up for more of him? Why should anyone believe in JF is what I'm getting at.

I have no problem with JF being the starter, I do however have a problem with him being the starter and NOT earning it, and I have a problem with the FACT that we have no plan B if he plays like he did last year.

I will do you one better. IF (not likely) JF can replicate what Hoyer did last season this upcoming season I would be thrilled to death.

That said want to bet we don't even get a whiff of being on the winning side of the ledger? Want to bet we don't win more then 2 games, and if we only win 2 games are you and I suppose to be all happy?

I will make you prediction right now this team will struggle to win just 2 games next year with JF starting and if McCown is the starter will get the 1st pick in the draft just like the Bucs are this year. Oddly enough McCown was their starter last year.

To me the real question here is this. Is McCown better then Hoyer or hell is JUF better then Hoyer and to date niether has shown they can hold trashy Hoyer's jock, and we ditched Hoyer for McCown how sad is that?

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Hoyer was benched for a REASON!

Case closed.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

swish...did you even read my post?

I said "someone" thought of the bright idea of starting "our hard working rookie".

Hoyer didn't start him...

I doubt that it was Pettine's decision to start him...

But there is a very good chance that the guy who was texting the sidelines for Haslam, played a role in the decision to start Johnny freaking Football.

When was the last time that Browns fans even had a discussion about making the playoffs in December?

You have Hoyer to thank for that...

...and you have Johnny Football to thank for the ass kicking from the Bengals, 30-0, which ended the Browns last hope for making the playoffs in 2014.

sorry Mac, dude played himself out of the starter role. There's zero conspiracy, unless you think Hoyer started playing like trash on purpose.

I'm still pissed about that Colts game.

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
Thats the thing BTTB, I don't have much faith in Manziel either.

I dunno if you do, but i surely have none.

But just because option A played better than option B, doesn't mean they played any good, which also means we shouldn't keep option A around just because he's better than B.

You get rid of both of them.

Will McCown play better than Hoyer? Nobody has that answer. For all we know, we get the Bucs version. For all we know, we get the Bears version.

I mean seriously, if Mccown gets us 2 games next season, thats horrible. but hoyer is good for 7....that still sucks, because we won't get into the playoffs with ANY of them if that happened.

personally, I would give up both 1st for Winston. but thats just me.

- Theodore Roosevelt
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:
To me the real question here is this. Is McCown better then Hoyer or hell is JUF better then Hoyer and to date niether has shown they can hold trashy Hoyer's jock, and we ditched Hoyer for McCown how sad is that?

btob...you are right...the question we should be asking, did the Browns improve their QB position by signing a 35 yr old QB who lead his team to 1 win and 10 losses last season?

If this is all the Browns do concerning the QB position, it will be because this is all they ever intended to do.

I'm sure they will have a story canned and ready to go when the local and national media begins questioning, why didn't the Browns do more to improve their QB position.

Sadly, 2015 is shaping up to be a THROW AWAY SEASON to see if Johnny Football is "the one".

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

swish...and I'm still pissed about the decision to start Johnny freaking Football in the biggest game of the 2014 season against the Bengals, a team we had just beaten 5 weeks earlier.

How poor was that decision to start JFF against the Bengals?...it wasn't even close..his performance...

...10/18=80yds...2 Ints...0 TDs...0 points

How ironic, those who complain about Hoyer's play, never say a freaking word about Manziel's performance.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

swish...and I'm still pissed about the decision to start Johnny freaking Football in the biggest game of the 2014 season against the Bengals, a team we had just beaten 5 weeks earlier.

How poor was that decision to start JFF against the Bengals?...it wasn't even close..his performance...

...10/18=80yds...2 Ints...0 TDs...0 points

How ironic, those who complain about Hoyer's play, never say a freaking word about Manziel's performance.

what is there to say about manziel's performance?

Dude, thats what you don't get. There's nothing to say about manziel's performance because EVERYBODY agrees he was trash.

Not much of a discussion there.

- Theodore Roosevelt
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Quote:

Dude, thats what you don't get. There's nothing to say about manziel's performance because EVERYBODY agrees he was trash.

that is the point. getting rid of players that played better and keeping players that played like trash.

being a browns fan is like taking your dog to vet every week to be put down...
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: pblack18707
Quote:

that is the point. getting rid of players that played better and keeping players that played like trash.

hoyer played better. yes.

Manziel played like Trash. Hoyer played like McDonalds wrappers.

what an upgrade.

- Theodore Roosevelt
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

This.

If we had below average QB play that day, like a 3-4 on a scale of 1 to 10, we win that game. Heck, bad QB play and we win that game.

I'm with Swish. Hoyer played himself out of the starting gig. We were lucky to have him when he played his best ball. We caught lightning in a bottle with Hoyer. He is a journeyman and a backup. Sometimes that what guys are, not knocking him.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
J
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
J
as much as i disagreed with throwing manziel in, you people cant act like the coaches knew he was going to perform worse than hoyer.

the way hoyer was playing, they felt HE was playing us out of the playoffs. we couldnt afford, at that moment, to let him just keep playing poorly, we had to try and do something to get ourselves a win.

sure, in retrospect it didnt work out that way, but they had a QB they felt was worth a first rounder sitting on the bench, while the starter was playing horribly.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:
as much as i disagreed with throwing manziel in, you people cant act like the coaches knew he was going to perform worse than hoyer.

If they didn't then we have the wrong folks running this team period.

1- They knew he wasn't putting in the work, and even JF said so himself.

2- They knew he was absent from the facility when he wasn't mandated to be there. He was thirsty I guess.

They knew he knew they choose for whatever reason (Haslam) to play him, and he flopped and they knew he would.

Here is my problem with JF, he says all the right things but his action don't match his words and that fact isn't lost on his teammates I can guarantee you that.

I maintain to this day had this organization shown Hoyer any level of honest support he would have played better. He played great up until the Cincy game and then things started to unravel for him. 1 word a true belief in him would have made a great deal of difference. But his support consisted of we will continue to evaluate the position from week to week. That's not support, that's standing in the shadows waiting to lower the hammer.

Put on top of that the fact that Hoyer took I think 1 day off after he began his rehab along with the riggers of starting for the 1st time and you have a player that is physically and mentally exhausted. Again I think good coaching would have made certain that he didn't wear down. The player may not understand how difficult it is to prepare and play a full season but the coaches should.

In the end I think we hand a guy who worked to hard and a guy who didn't work at ALL.

Hoyer is gone, I think it was a mistake to let him go, and especially so in light of not having a better option available. I know that folks like to say the book is closed on Hoyer he is this or that but he has started 1 seasons worth of games compiled a record of 10-6 and we toss that guy aside for what?

The reason Hoyer isn't here is because he wanted to start and the players in the locker room believed in him and rallied around him and management wants the team to rally around JF, and if I were them and I thought JF was my future and I was ready to move forward with him I would have let Hoyer go as well.

What they see in JF I will never know but its their call and their necks.

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
"I maintain to this day had this organization shown Hoyer any level of honest support he would have played better."

You guys need to stop with this nonsense.
He flat out stunk,I mean stunk of epic proportions.His biblical suckitude is the reason he's no longer here.Dry your eyes,change your diaper,he's gone,time to move on to the next chump.

Indecision may,or maynot,be my problem
E
Legend
Legend
E
You don't let Hoyer walk and replace him with 1-10 McCown and call the QB situation stable.

I really like Hoyer I was one of the few who was stating he would n should start 2014 from game 1.

But I'm sorry HE CHOKED and I don't say that often - HE CHOKED BIG TIME. I lost pretty much all respect for him as OUR QB. He didn't have an injury, if anything his knee should have gotten better. I know we lost Mack the big excuse for him but there was pocket integrity - I understand the RB game went south but what all have to remember it wasn't like because of that teams gave up on stopping the run...they all committed to it so that play action still had great dividends for us.

Bengal game #1 was his greatest. National TV, National media all saying, NOW THE BROWN HAVE A STARTING QB...he seemed from that moment on like a deer in headlights. Never to come close to that games play on the field. I'm talking technique confidence in his decision, stepping into his throws, being accurate.

He just got progressively worse. I don't expect every pass to be completed. But a good QB completes the passes where the WR is wide open and no significant pressure in his face. Time after time Hoyer missed on these opportunities and we were in very close close games. We could have won just about all of them.

Then there was his last chance game where the coaches said no we aren't making a change we are sticking with HOYER vs. Colts. Our D played GREAT! There we were poised to win the game - we mustered 3 first downs (something like that) the entire 2nd half and their D wasn't playing great we just sucked!

I'm sorry to relive this painful history...we/Hoyer had the opportunity to be revered...and he just crumbled under that pressure. So this painful relive is to say - there is no big fall off at ALL from Hoyer to McCown. That is just your imagination of his good spell and wins up to that Bengal game...what happened after that was not a mirage. If I knew he had an ankle sprain or something like that he was playing through the pain - I could say - ahhh that's why. But how does ones good footwork just disappear and become terrible half way through the season? His protection had a little drop but for the most part there was pocket integrity throughout the games. There was NO REASON for his fall off except between the Ears! Its called Choke.

I wouldn't mind him staying but he said NO to our offer and explained in the press that he wanted to see his worth in the FA market. Teams do not sit there with THumbs up their butt waiting. They got another whose skill set is similar. Who is at the end of their career and understand they will never be THE guy but knows he can make teams remember him. And we do have a good OL something he hasn't really seen.

I know you got really into him - more than the average bear. But he was no big loss. After his Choke season the plan would not be for him to be our starter, McCown not to be our Starter. Whoever was the Veteran they would be the Safety Valve Starter. Just in case.
jmho McCown fits that role nicely. You seem to forget Hoyer turned us down.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Agreed. We are no worse with josh M. than BH. I honestly think we are a little better off with Josh just for his experience alone. JMO.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Sorry Tab I am not buying what your stepping in.

Yes he chocked when the organization should have stepped forward (like after the Cincy game) and said Brian your our man you have worked your tail off and delivered. Instead we/he got the we continue to evaluate the QB position on a week to week basis. I think that tact taken on by management wore on Hoyer. It was like what do I have to do to EARN these guys support and it just took its toll.

But this is NOT some new revelation for me I said it from the beginning of the season that these guys were mishandling the QB situation, and Bernie you know him he said the exact same thing. This franchise has bungled the QB situation for decades now and this is yet another example of just that.

The fact that Hoyer chocked is a reflection of management mishandling of the position. It's not like hey the guy never showed us nothing, he did so we KNOW its in him and I think good coaching and a pat on the back and encouragement and hey letting him know your in his corner would have helped, but that never happened. The only folks that truly showed Hoyer support were his pears and his team mates.

Some fans and management couldn't wait for him to fail, and in the end it got to Hoyer. He'll recoup and will be oh so sorry when we once again reap what we sow.

Sad

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:
He just got progressively worse. I don't expect every pass to be completed. But a good QB completes the passes where the WR is wide open and no significant pressure in his face. Time after time Hoyer missed on these opportunities and we were in very close close games. We could have won just about all of them.

EO...yep..it was all Hoyers fault, right?

Some look at a play and scream about how bad Hoyer was...not knowing the play call, not knowing if there was audible, not knowing if a receiver ran the wrong route or failed to fight for the pass.

...the inexperienced, amature fan never asks those questions..they just see what looks like a bad play and assume it is all the QBs fault.

To some, Hoyer was just a terrible QB...even though he has a record of 10 wins/ 7 losses as a starting QB.
...some point to Hoyer's 13 ints to illustrate what a terrible QB Hoyer was...but, did those fans know that Rivers lead all QBs with 18 ints in 2014?
...Rivers and Cutler had 18 ints
...Brees, Dalton, Bortles had 17 ints
...Luck had 16 ints
...PManning had 15 ints
...Josh McCown, EManning, Ryan had 14 ints
...RANKING 11TH IN INTS WAS BRIAN HOYER.

I could go on and on with examples that show that Hoyer was not nearly as bad as many of our amateur fans claim.

He was the best QB the Browns have had in many years and he had his team knocking on the door of the playoffs.

We are about to find out if Josh McCown is a better QB. He is being handed an offensive unit that added WR talent...McCown should have no problem leading the Browns to the playoffs if he is as good as some of you say he is...right?

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Brown to the Bone
Sorry Tab I am not buying what your stepping in.

Yes he chocked when the organization should have stepped forward (like after the Cincy game) and said Brian your our man you have worked your tail off and delivered. Instead we/he got the we continue to evaluate the QB position on a week to week basis. I think that tact taken on by management wore on Hoyer. It was like what do I have to do to EARN these guys support and it just took its toll.

But this is NOT some new revelation for me I said it from the beginning of the season that these guys were mishandling the QB situation, and Bernie you know him he said the exact same thing. This franchise has bungled the QB situation for decades now and this is yet another example of just that.

The fact that Hoyer chocked is a reflection of management mishandling of the position. It's not like hey the guy never showed us nothing, he did so we KNOW its in him and I think good coaching and a pat on the back and encouragement and hey letting him know your in his corner would have helped, but that never happened. The only folks that truly showed Hoyer support were his pears and his team mates.

Some fans and management couldn't wait for him to fail, and in the end it got to Hoyer. He'll recoup and will be oh so sorry when we once again reap what we sow.

Sad

it's management's fault hoyer choked?

started having bad foot work? not reading the field? throwing some bone headed passes?

that cincy game, Deon started a pay da man campaign for HOYER. not manziel. HOYER. Dude was getting EVERY last ounce of respect he deserve.

Then the choke-fest started, and he went from above average, to eh, to "what the hell was that?"

The management gave this guy every last reason to make him believe it was his team. because it WAS.

Let's be honest here: fans was calling for this guy's head after the first half of the steelers game opening day. but MANAGEMENT decided not to pull a "2007" and put manziel in instead. they road with the guy. Even after that craptastic loss to the "at the moment" winless jaguars team, where Bortles literally went out of his way to hand us the W, management still road with him.

even after that craptasic first half of the Titans game, Management still road with him.

after that Houston game, management road with him.

after that crap Bills game, management road with him.

but that Colts game was it bro.

Stop it dude. Hoyer had nobody to blame but himself. the entire browns org gave this guy every last chance to succeed, and he crap the bed.

stop defending bums.

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
and Tab, i know you tried to throw Hoyer a bone with the mack injury,

but just to keep it in perspective, NOT counting the win against the steelers when Mack went down,

we STILL went 4-2 after the end of Falcons game.

not saying you Tab, but others can't use the Mack injury as a crutch.

It was ALL hoyer.

Last edited by Swish; 03/29/15 11:01 AM.

- Theodore Roosevelt
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Your right swish it was all Hoyer 7-4 Hoyer..

Yes we can find fault with Hoyer but the support system within management has gone over and beyond for guys like Gordan, and Johnny, and west and on and on yet a hard working guy like 7-4 Hoyer he doesn't catch a break from anyone and you all wonder why I think your

I think I mentioned he was getting support from his pears and from his team mates management good management that is would have done the same, he deserved it and more importantly he earned it the problem I have with it is that he never got it even when he did well he didn't get it. You don't understand that because you don't want to...

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Swish have you ever had a job where you felt like everyday might be your last? It wears on a person it really does and that is magnified x 10 when your in the public spot light.

Yes thats what you sign up for and your paid handsomely to boot but with all that said your still a human being never forget that simple truth. He we are all human we need a pat on the back a vote of confidence when our head is hanging low. Based on the posture and the public statements made by management (Pet) from the beginning of the season and after the Cincy game Hoyer never garnered support from within management and thats always the wrong way to get the best from any player especially a QB.

I won't mention that Gordon and Jordan both admitted to running the wrong routes after all thats still Hoyers fault right?

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

E
Legend
Legend
E
Instead we/he got the we continue to evaluate the QB position on a week to week basis.

Sorry I remember it different, that scenario you just drew up was after he had 3-4 bad games. Then the "MEDIA" not the Brown kept relenting on starting Manziel...in answer to the media the last couple weeks they said that...actually the first time I heard that part where they were going to discuss on who starts was after the Bills game when Manziel came in w/12 minutes left. They chose Hoyer and threw up a major stinker.

The other and last thing I will say... X factor, Y factor for CHOKING is a Loser's Mantra...Hoyer choked because of HOYER. The team having to actually think about replacing him as a starter...is not what made him PLAY BAD all of a sudden. It was because of his BAD PLAY the team had to start thinking about replacing him.

It was when he was THE GUY that Hoyer downfall happened. Not a SOUL...A SOUL was saying otherwise after that Bengal game we were first in our division 6-3??? Not a soul was suggesting it. Only later After he was playing bad.

jmho. Anyways onto bigger and better things.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum What did we learn about the Cleveland Browns at the NFL meetings?

Link Copied to Clipboard