Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Cleveland Browns get 'D' free agency grade from ESPN insiders
http://espn.go.com/blog/cleveland-browns...m-espn-insiders

ESPN Insider's free agency grades came in today,Insider and the Cleveland Browns did not meet the minimum requirements to stay eligible.

Written by Mike Sando and with analytical help from Bill Polian, Field Yates, Matt Williamson and Louis Riddick, the Insider piece graded all 32 teams on their free agency performance since the new league year opened March 10.

While Polian gave the Browns an incomplete grade, Williamson gives the Browns the "worst grade you possibly can give."

COMINGS AND GOINGS

ESPN.com is your headquarters for NFL trades and free-agency moves this offseason.

Free-Agent Tracker »
Free-Agency Wire »
Team-by-team transaction list »

The Browns have signed five potential starters -- cornerback Tramon Williams, wide receivers Dwayne Bowe and Brian Hartline, defensive tackle Randy Starks, quarterback Josh McCown -- but didn't corner the market on true game-breakers. The Browns let several key free agents walk, including corner Buster Skrine and tight end Jordan Cameron.

While Yates considers the Williams and Starks pickups as "smart signings," Riddick said the Browns made moves without a clear-cut purpose, and Williamson was even harsher: "I just do not think anyone wants to play for the Browns. They are the new Raiders."

That's cold -- and might be slightly true. To be sure, money talks in most cases, and the Browns were decidedly frugal this time around, despite entering free agency with $40-plus-million in cap space. But it's fair to wonder whether the Browns' perceived dysfunction this offseason and turnstile of starting quarterbacks makes free agents think twice about Cleveland. Want me to sign? That will cost you double. The text investigation doesn't help. Which free agent would want their name in Ray Farmer's inbox?

Cleveland's message seemed clear: We like our roster and want to build through the draft, using free agency as supplemental income. That's fine. That plan can work. But the Browns also don't have the cachet of inactive free agency teams such as the Packers, Patriots and Ravens, who all have an established quarterback. The Browns entered free agency with a few needs and did not address all of them. With all respect to Jim Dray or Gary Barnidge, there's not a starting tight end on the roster.

That said, some of these signings are solid, particularly Williams, Starks and Bowe, who isn't an elite No. 1 but is an upgrade for this team. McCown is the classic bridge guy. He's done well in the past. Can't fault the team for signing him.

I've been told the Browns had set their sights on collecting several compensatory picks in 2016 in exchange for the in-house free agents lost. That played a role in the Browns' player evaluation. Four of the Browns' five biggest signings were recently released players, meaning they don't count against the team's compensatory formula.

As for receiver, Jeremy Maclin was the only top-shelf wideout available on the open market. The rest were locked up by their respective teams. Their genuine options at receiver were limited at best.

Now, pass-rusher? They could have helped their cause with more aggressive plays.

Giving the Browns a D is particularly harsh, but it's hard to give them an A or B based on the moves made, and the cap space available.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I've been saying that getting FAs to want to come to Cleveland is a tough sell. We are a punch line in the eyes of many in the league and media. To change that, they are taking an approach that runs counter to what the talking heads think they should do, hence the unfavorable review. But I think they are doing fine. Sign solid players that answer immediate needs, then build the team through the draft. Learn from mistakes and move on. It's not flashy, and it's not a quick fix, but in the end (if it's a good plan) the team will start to win more games, which will attract better FA. Stick to the plan.

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
Legend
Legend
I don't necessarily think that this is a matter of getting free agents to come here. Many guys came here for visits. How many received offers? We don't know, but it seems like the front office is being very careful with their cap room, and want to fill holes with players who are not going to cost them when it comes to compensatory picks.

There is nothing wrong with that approach. Why overpay for players when you can fill holes with players that don't cost as much, in money, and in future draft picks?

I always remember the 2001 Patriots. They were ridiculed for their approach to free agency. They passed on most of the expensive players, and instead brought in a bunch of "bums", but they were bums who fit their team.

They did OK that year, and even though they had Tom Brady, he wasn't "Tom Brady" yet. He threw for 2800 yards with 18 TD and 12 INT that season. Their defense and run game made that team go.

They went 11-5 in the regular season, with their (at the time) backup QB leading the way. They wound up 6th in scoring, and 6th in scoring defense.

How?

They for 1157 yards and 12 TD out of Antowain Smith, a guy who looked like a backup at best when signed. He had a good year a couple of years earlier, but had fallen off. He wasn't exactly highly sought after.

They signed David Patten from ... well .... us. He proved to be a low priced, valuable piece for them.

They also raided the mighty 2000 Cleveland Browns for Marc Edwards.

On defense they brought in Roman Phifer, who had his best season 5 years earlier. They added Mike Vrabel, who looked like a bust in Pittsburgh. They added Anthony Pleasant (another former Brown, but one who had played under Belichick in Cleveland) as a free agent. Brian Cox came from the Jets. Terrell Buckley came to them from the Broncos as a bigger free agent deal. They also added Terrance Shaw. Je'Rod Cherry signed with them. Matt Compton was added from Detroit.

They did not go after the big names. The biggest name was probably Buckley, but IIRC, there was something that knocked his price down. Many of the players they signed were guys who looked like "depth", and nothing more. Nonetheless, many of them contributed to their Super Bowl season anyway.

How many times have we seen a free agent get a huge deal, only to bomb? We signed 2 big names in recent years, who wound up unable to help us because of injuries. Both Gary Baxter and LeCharles Bentley were cornerstones, big dollar free agent deals.

It is so hard to judge free agency at this point. Maybe we signed a guy who did not, or no longer fit a scheme elsewhere, but who fits our scheme? Maybe we signed a guy like Miles Austin, who comes in and plays well, after a down season or 2. Who knows at this point? Maybe everyone we signed absolutely bombs. Maybe 1 or 2 have Pro Bowl years. Maybe we have a draft where we add 2 or 3 starter quality players. Who knows at this point.Anyone who says they know for sure is lying. None of us know for sure.

We started this off-season needing some positions filled.

WR: We added Hartline and Bowe. Both are serviceable players, who can help this team. Decent group who we will probably add to in the draft.

QB: We added McCown and Lewis. Not an ideal situation, but there is really no ideal QB available in free agency, unless you get really, really lucky. We need help here, but is there help available?

TE: We lost Cameron, but we have yet to draft. We also have, reportedly, an interest in Rob Housler, and had an interest in Jermaine Gresham before he needed surgery. Maybe we add a player here before the draft. It is possible. We do have a pair of backup type TE who form a decent, though not overwhelming, situational pair.

OL: No adds or losses. (excellent starting 5)I would suspect that we add a player int he middle of the draft who can be a solid backup/future starter.

RB: No adds or losses. (good group)

FB: The sky is falling. rofl

DL: We lost Rubin and added Starks. I think that Starks may be a better scheme fit. We still need help here.

LB: I like much of this group. It's funny .... last year I liked our OLB group, and was scared to death about our ILB group. We added Dansby, and drafted Kirksey, and saw huge improvement from Robertson. I like our ILB group, a lot. We will, almost certainly, add a pass rusher on the outside here. Plus, let's nit forget that Kruger will be 30 ...... after the next Super Bowl.

DB: I like our starters, and let's be honest, a lot depends on how Gilbert responds to a disappointing rookie year. We have a nice top 3 in Haden, Williams, and Williams ..... and potential in DeSir. I like our Safety positional depth as well, with Gipson, Whitner, and Bademosi. (and Poyer showed some ability)

So, I like a lot of the units on our team, and see a lot of promise in others. I think that some need addressed, and one we really need to get lucky with. (QB)

This team needs to somehow manage to get the QB position settled. I don't know how that will happen. Maybe we get lucky and McCown or Lewis really shows something. Maybe Manziel recovers completely and applies himself and becomes what we hoped he would become. Maybe we draft a guy in the middle rounds and he becomes the guy. Maybe Shaw develops and arm that can make NFL throws, to go along with what seems like an NFL brain. Who knows? Way too many questions for anyone to be comfortable here. However, maybe we can get a "2001 Tom Brady" performance out of one of these guys, and with a strong run game and a strong defense, that can get us to the playoffs. Actually, I expect us to make the playoffs in 2015. Am I crazy? Who knows? wink

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: superbowldogg
While Yates considers the Williams and Starks pickups as "smart signings," Riddick said the Browns made moves without a clear-cut purpose, and Williamson was even harsher: "I just do not think anyone wants to play for the Browns. They are the new Raiders."

Ouch! The truth hurts.

Legend
Legend
i think its time fans stop trying to compare us to the patriots or seahawks.

we aren't them.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Swish

we aren't them.

No we aren't.

My point is that sometimes moves that look like questionable moves, at best, sometimes work out quite well.

We aren't the Patriots, or the Seahawks. Not yet, anyway. Why can't we be them in the future, though?

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
Originally Posted By: Swish

we aren't them.

No we aren't.

My point is that sometimes moves that look like questionable moves, at best, sometimes work out quite well.

We aren't the Patriots, or the Seahawks. Not yet, anyway. Why can't we be them in the future, though?

We can, but first it takes being respected and actually winning something for that to happen. When we went 10-6 that year in 2007, yea, every FA wanted to come here because we was up and coming, well supposedly anyway. same thing when we went to the playoffs in 2002-03?

THAT would've been the perfect time to build through the draft and act like a winning organization.

for instance, we seriously was a QB away from getting into the playoffs this/eh...last season. but we still didn't get there. We also fired a HC after one year. we've been turning over our roster it seems like every single year. yes, the majority of FA's want cash, but they also want that shot at a SB ring too. because thats even MORE cash and prestige that comes with it.

right now we have a nasty history since 99. it's going to take a couple years before we can "build through the draft".

we need that FA push just to get into the playoffs, IMO. Because we AREN'T a winning organization, and we need to overpay to get some respect in this league during the regular season.

Our core players (Haden, Thomas, Mack,) aren't getting any younger. Our FA's(Whitner, Dansdy, Kruger) are getting up there in age.

and we've been screwing the pooch at an epic meltdown level on 1st round picks. our team NEEDS FA to even be remotely relevant in the AFC north.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
We don't necessarily need a big free agent push. Maybe we need pieces that fit. That doesn't always mean big dollar guys. That was my point with the Pats.

They signed a bunch of C-D free agents. They "lost" free agency that year. Their "backup" QB, (Brady) forced into action because of the injury to their franchise guy, (Bledsoe) threw 18 TD and 12 INT.

What did they "do" that off-season to win the Super Bowl? They found players who fit their schemes, and they drafted well. That's it. They found their QB from a little regarded backup, and their offense and defense was built up with a bunch of so-so players, players past their primes, and those who had never had a prime.

Sometimes it all just comes together for a team. It doesn't always make sense, but it happens somehow.

Maybe we get a year out of McCown like he had in Chicago. Who knows? Stranger things have happened. They just usually don't happen for us, but rather to us. I think that things are turning around for us, and that we will make the playoffs in 2015.

Legend
Legend
We don't necessarily need a big free agent push. Maybe we need pieces that fit. That doesn't always mean big dollar guys. That was my point with the Pats.

They signed a bunch of C-D free agents. They "lost" free agency that year. Their "backup" QB, (Brady) forced into action because of the injury to their franchise guy, (Bledsoe) threw 18 TD and 12 INT.

What did they "do" that off-season to win the Super Bowl? They found players who fit their schemes, and they drafted well. That's it. They found their QB from a little regarded backup, and their offense and defense was built up with a bunch of so-so players, players past their primes, and those who had never had a prime.

Sometimes it all just comes together for a team. It doesn't always make sense, but it happens somehow.

Maybe we get a year out of McCown like he had in Chicago. Who knows? Stranger things have happened. They just usually don't happen for us, but rather to us. I think that things are turning around for us, and that we will make the playoffs in 2015.

Bro if McCown has a year like Hoyer, without the epic metldown of the last what? 5 games? I would be happy, because that means we would be no less than a wild card team.

- Theodore Roosevelt
E
Legend
Legend
E
What a bunch of Bozos.
As for wanting to come here. That is what the Bozo said and in the same sentence stated we had decided to be Frugal.

No way I wanted an A grade from these Bozo's that would have meant we spent too much. There was some very high contracts thrown around.

Not coming here. I can see the few elite players. But for instance - Revis if we out bid the Jets he would have came. WRs I can see some not wanting as we don't have the QB thing established.

Continuity and some wins under our belt - there will be no reason for the Bozo's to print this crap about us.
jmho - We probably did more than any other in our Division.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
To be clear about my earlier comment, I don't think the point is to be able to attract top FA. The point is to build a team through the draft and be able round it out with FA when needed. This is the best approach, but it takes time and patience. We just live in an instant gratification world where those who don't (or don't want) to get the plan will be critical. Screw them, stick to the plan.

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I can't say I blame ESPN for giving the Browns a D in free agency, but I am glad that Ray Farmer didn't throw the kitchen sink at a bunch of big name free agents such as Jeremy Maclin or Ndomakong Suh. In my opinion, it wouldn't make any sense in bringing guys like that to Cleveland and have to pay them $11 or $12 million a year (the figure it would have taken to get big names here) when we don't even pay Joe Thomas, Alex Mack or Joe Haden that kind of yearly salary.

I liked how Farmer handled our free agents, now we're set to get up to four compensatory draft picks next season. 10 draft picks this year, 11 draft picks next year, this is a team that has to build through the draft. Getting good free agents in the door at a reasonable price just isn't something Cleveland can do right now.

I'm happy with Hartline, Bowe, Williams and Starks.

Still dislike the McCown signing, and until I see him play well consistently I won't be happy with us having him.

I'm still hoping we could maybe bring in a TE like Rob Housler (last week it was reported we talked to him) as that will free up another early draft pick to go BPA. I also wouldn't even mind adding someone such as B.J. Raji for more depth at NT. Adding him would allow us to target a RT, WR, QB and Edge Rusher with our first four picks (just my own opinion).

But yeah I certainly understand and agree with the "D" grade.

"You can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave"
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: MrKelso
I can't say I blame ESPN for giving the Browns a D in free agency, but I am glad that Ray Farmer didn't throw the kitchen sink at a bunch of big name free agents such as Jeremy Maclin or Ndomakong Suh.

But...but... that would have gotten us an A or B grade. tongue

#gmstrong
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
I'd rather use our big money on guys that are currently on our team and need to be re-signed eventually, like Bitonio, Taylor, Robertson and Gipson who will all eventually need bigger contracts.

Besides, we did upgrade in spots while not losing much *Cameron, if he was a naturally healthy guy would have gotten a large raise and been a major loss.* For me, personally, the Browns got better in FA, so whatever. If it was just a "marginal" upgrade, so be it. The Browns don't need a total makeover like they did in 2008-2013. Get solid QB play and the Browns are a playoff team.

you had a good run Hank.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Based on how they grade FA-- D seems about right...

Lets hope we lose FA but win in the season for a change..

#gmstrong

A smart person knows what to say.

A wise person knows whether or not to say it.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Right or Wrong , the FA is just part ( small part ) of the media story on the Browns .. The storied history since 1999 is a Transylvania Rocky Horror movie .. And our latest Pilot and C0-Pilot have nothing to brag about at this time .. I just don't see how the fan base would expect anything less from the National Media .

C
Legend
Legend
C
I think we got a "D" grade because we had tons of money to spend and didn't spend any. But then these same people would probably say that you shouldn't build a team through free agency.

Practice Squad
Practice Squad
Lets see we lost Skrine and added Williams, who is a better Corner. +

We lost Hoyer and added McCown, like it or hate it, McCown was a more sought after QB than hoyer due to the fact he is a better QB. +

We added Bowe, a proven vet with great hands and consistency +

We added starks, which will help on our run stuff +

We lost Sheard, who i personally liked, but is surely not a top notch guy and will be replaceable. I liked what I saw from Mingo last year, he showed improvement even with a severely injured arm. So I will give this a - but it very well could even out.

I wouldnt really grade it on a scale from A to F. I would say we improved without spending a ton of money that wasnt needed to waste. I am happy we finally had a regime that laid out a plan, and is sticking to that plan regardless of what the fans are saying.

Practice Squad
Practice Squad
Lets not forget, this years FA class wasnt exactly a ball of fire either. Next year if I am not mistaken is going to be loaded with talent. So I love the fact they didnt spend this year, because next year I truly believe they are going to look to add the superstars that will take us from a decent squad to playoff bound.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Quote:
We lost Hoyer and added McCown, like it or hate it, McCown was a more sought after QB than hoyer due to the fact he is a better QB. +

Opinion maybe, but not "fact". McCown's career QB Rate is 76.1; Hoyer's is 76.8, per NFL.com. I suppose you could argue that they're the same guy, but Hoyer still has some upside, IMO. I still think the only reason McCown is here is because the Browns didn't want a QB competition that JM probably couldn't win. With McCown, there will be no division in the locker room or the fan base. If Manziel can't seize the job this TC, he has no future here. All JMO, of course.

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
j/c

YES!!! Browns finish last in March! nanner

Hope this is a trend we start seeing the Browns getting a "A" in December.

Practice Squad
Practice Squad
Originally Posted By: Dave
Quote:

Opinion maybe, but not "fact". McCown's career QB Rate is 76.1; Hoyer's is 76.8, per NFL.com. I suppose you could argue that they're the same guy, but Hoyer still has some upside, IMO. I still think the only reason McCown is here is because the Browns didn't want a QB competition that JM probably couldn't win. With McCown, there will be no division in the locker room or the fan base. If Manziel can't seize the job this TC, he has no future here. All JMO, of course.
You cant compare numbers, especially when McCown has played on different teams with different offenses. Its not fair to either of them to compare eachother based on that fact. I am going by the fact that MULTIPOLE GMS and coaches wanted Josh and courted him very strongly. The same cannot be said about Hoyer. McCown was the consensus #1 QB in Free Agency based on every EXPERT that gets PAID to do this for a living. So I will use that as FACT.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
I think McCown is a better qb than BH, not by much but better.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Only because it was well know that Hoyer was looking to compete as a starter, while McCown was more than happy to be a backup at this point in his career. Of course his options were more numerous.

I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
The Browns have 2 1st RD draft picks and had the most cap room in the NFL outside of the Jags to spend money and to this day,have not closed the gap on the rest of the AFC North.
for the Browns its always been "wait for the plan to take course"
Judging by Ray Farmers failures from the 2014 Draft and his text gate issues
he's a short string.
He addressed free agency like he's gonna be around for years.

I like the Williams signing.He's gonna be a great mentor for the young kids. great technician.
Starks is way past his years and will give you a handful of snaps a game.
I don't expect much from him. He got a nice payday.
Hartline is a solid WR. A coaches dream. I think he peaked already. But he will catch everything thrown much like Austin did.
Bowe is really average now. He's not the same WR from 2007 and his numbers prove that.
McCown is the one who brings the grade down.
He's a journeyman but yet all these Browns GMs no matter who they were think can catch lightning in a bottle with these aging vet QBs at the end of their career.
the Browns had a ton of cap space but went bargain shopping.
They brought bodies in..but how many are difference makers?

Legend
Legend
Only because it was well know that Hoyer was looking to compete as a starter, while McCown was more than happy to be a backup at this point in his career. Of course his options were more numerous.

These other teams all needed a starter, and they went a different direction, with Hoyer still available.

Do you really think that the Jets cared that Hoyer wanted to start when they have Geno Smith atop their depth chart? How about the Bills, who had the illustriously productive EJ Manuel in place at the top of their depth chart coming into free agency.

They replaced these guys with other, veteran QBs. They chose other veterans to come in, rather than choosing Hoyer. The Bills actually traded for their veteran QB, as opposed to signing Hoyer. They opted for a guy who threw for 425 in 3 games last year, with 3 TD and 4 INT.

The Jets were content to wait for Ryan Fitzpatrick. He is probably the best of all of the QB who hit the market in any manner this year. Think about that for a minute, and that should tell everyone the state of QB free agency in the NFL. They traded for him as well. In other words, they chose to give up a draft pick for Fitzpatrick, as opposed to just signing Hoyer and giving up nothing.

It is obvious what the NFL thought of Hoyer. For whatever reason, this staff did not want him back. Teams with dire need at the position met with him, and passed on making him an offer. He signed for a relatively minor free agent contract in Houston. The NFL showed what they thought of his potential as a QB, and as a veteran in their QB room. For whatever reason, teams with dire need at the position decided to go elsewhere. We'll just have to see what happens with him.

Practice Squad
Practice Squad

These other teams all needed a starter, and they went a different direction, with Hoyer still available.

Do you really think that the Jets cared that Hoyer wanted to start when they have Geno Smith atop their depth chart? How about the Bills, who had the illustriously productive EJ Manuel in place at the top of their depth chart coming into free agency.

They replaced these guys with other, veteran QBs. They chose other veterans to come in, rather than choosing Hoyer. The Bills actually traded for their veteran QB, as opposed to signing Hoyer. They opted for a guy who threw for 425 in 3 games last year, with 3 TD and 4 INT.

The Jets were content to wait for Ryan Fitzpatrick. He is probably the best of all of the QB who hit the market in any manner this year. Think about that for a minute, and that should tell everyone the state of QB free agency in the NFL. They traded for him as well. In other words, they chose to give up a draft pick for Fitzpatrick, as opposed to just signing Hoyer and giving up nothing.

It is obvious what the NFL thought of Hoyer. For whatever reason, this staff did not want him back. Teams with dire need at the position met with him, and passed on making him an offer. He signed for a relatively minor free agent contract in Houston. The NFL showed what they thought of his potential as a QB, and as a veteran in their QB room. For whatever reason, teams with dire need at the position decided to go elsewhere. We'll just have to see what happens with him.
You are spot on with this analysis. I couldnt have explained it better myself.

Legend
Legend
Quote:
I still think the only reason McCown is here is because the Browns didn't want a QB competition that JM probably couldn't win.

I keep reading this on here and I can't believe they would do that. Come on.. Personally, I think that's pure nonsense.

Unless I missed something, Football is a competitive sport. Teams want the best guys to play. To stack the deck so one guy wins over another guy doesn't do the team any good at all..

nope, I ain't buying into that thinking at all.

Just my opinion

Last edited by Damanshot; 03/28/15 11:55 AM.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
D
Legend
Legend
D
You can convince me that Fitzpatrick is a better QB than Hoyer - I think I stated as much somewhere on these boards. I wouldn't argue if it was claimed that Cassel - Hoyer - McCown are pretty much the same guy. But my original point was to take exception to the presentation of McCown being better than Hoyer as "fact". He simply is not. Hoyer was always going to end up either here or Houston, anyway.

Legend
Legend
j/c

I've said it many times, but I think FA signings are pretty much moot until you find a QB. Having an upgrade at OG, CB, ILB, WR, etc would be nice, but won't make much difference in the win/loss column.

Plus, you overpay for guys that are old.

Best way to turn it around quickly? Draft a franchise QB and draft cheap/good/young players to surround him with.

Unfortunately, we all know we've failed to do that

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
Yet more teams were actively after McCown than we after Hoyer.

Hoyer had one good year. McCown had one very good year. The system that McCown excelled in is the same style of offense we want to run here. We'll see what happens.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Actually YTown, he had a half of a good year.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

1day...actually, your claim about McCown being more sought after than Hoyer, is not true based on the information I have found.

The Bills and Browns were interested in McCown.

Hoyer had the following interest...

Texans/Titans

Vikings/49ers

Jets

Last edited by mac; 03/28/15 01:20 PM.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
Actually YTown, he had a half of a good year.

Arguably, so did Hoyer.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Quote:

Fitzpatrick started 12 games last season for the Texans, throwing for 2,483 yards and 17 touchdowns along with eight interceptions. He became expendable when the Texans signed free agent Brian Hoyer and re-signed Ryan Mallett.

they traded for him because they couldnt sign hoyer. not that they did not want to. just that hoyer chose the texans. buffolo? they chose to trade for a QB BEFORE hoyer was available so they wouldnt have to take a chance of waiting.

Last edited by pblack18707; 03/28/15 02:14 PM.

being a browns fan is like taking your dog to vet every week to be put down...
J
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
J
admittedly, i dont know exactly how compensatory picks work, but perhaps that played a role in it as well?

mccown was cut, and we signed him. hoyer wasnt cut by us, but picked up by another team.

if we felt they were about equal in terms of production (as well as considering mccown more accepting of a mentor role), maybe this factored in to why they chose mccown?

or does losing a FA only matter if you were the one who drafted him?

just brainstorming here.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker

Quote:

Yes b/c we have a new FO and staff almost every other year. If they don't give the FO time to build a franchise this will continue to happen.

Quote:
he's a short string.

Nothing to say about the text thing, it was dumb. I don't understand this reasoning.... So you are complaining about "wait for the plan to take course" then state Farmer is on a short string. Do you realize this is WHY our team has been terrible for so long? So he will be fired, and our next GM will go through the same process and we will be back to square one and waiting for a ANOTHER plan to take course.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: ScottPlayersFacemask

Quote:

Yes b/c we have a new FO and staff almost every other year. If they don't give the FO time to build a franchise this will continue to happen.

Quote:
he's a short string.

Nothing to say about the text thing, it was dumb. I don't understand this reasoning.... So you are complaining about "wait for the plan to take course" then state Farmer is on a short string. Do you realize this is WHY our team has been terrible for so long? So he will be fired, and our next GM will go through the same process and we will be back to square one and waiting for a ANOTHER plan to take course.

farmer is not on a short string. when the owner thinks farmer knows more about running plays and how games should be run on the field than his head coach i would think pettine is the one on a short string.

being a browns fan is like taking your dog to vet every week to be put down...
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I think it's crazy if either are on a short string at this point in time. IMO

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
when the owner thinks farmer knows more about running plays and how games should be run on the field than his head coach i would think pettine is the one on a short string.

I love how you post this as if it is fact..speculative BS at best.

#gmstrong
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Cleveland Browns get 'D' free agency grade from ESPN insiders

Link Copied to Clipboard