Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: 1day
Lets not forget, this years FA class wasnt exactly a ball of fire either. Next year if I am not mistaken is going to be loaded with talent. So I love the fact they didnt spend this year, because next year I truly believe they are going to look to add the superstars that will take us from a decent squad to playoff bound.

And hopefully, not have to allocate so much money in the early part of the first round fingerscrossed Although we moved outside the top 10 this year!

That's progress for Cleveland.

Tackles are tackles.
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: E.Ryze19
when the owner thinks farmer knows more about running plays and how games should be run on the field than his head coach i would think pettine is the one on a short string.

I love how you post this as if it is fact..speculative BS at best.

Browns owner Jimmy Haslam confirms Ray Farmer sent texts, but says he fully supports embattled GM

"Ray's smart. He works hard. I think he understands football. He's been in football all his life. He relates extremely well to players. He knows it not only from a personnel standpoint, but from the way a game should be run and managed standpoint

http://www.ohio.com/blogs/cleveland-browns/cleveland-browns-1.270107/browns-owner-jimmy-haslam-confirms-ray-farmer-sent-texts-but-says-he-fully-supports-embattled-gm-1.566114?%3F%3F=

Last edited by pblack18707; 03/28/15 04:59 PM.

being a browns fan is like taking your dog to vet every week to be put down...
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
Actually YTown, he had a half of a good year.

Not trying to nitpick, but the team as a whole had only a half a good year. I can't blame everything on Hoyer.

I could list all the things I think may have contributed but that would bore ya..

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: Damanshot

Not trying to nitpick, but the team as a whole had only a half a good year. I can't blame everything on Hoyer.

I could list all the things I think may have contributed but that would bore ya..

you would be a hoyer apologists if you tried.

being a browns fan is like taking your dog to vet every week to be put down...
D
All Pro
All Pro
D
I'm okay with our free agency so far.

I like Bowe/Hartline. Wish there were better options, this is a rare FA with little options at WR. I'm fine with Starks and Williams, don't care about age or $$$ on those deals. Not going to hurt us long-term in any way. McCown, I don't really understand that type of $$$, we'll see. But I kind of see him as Hoyer without the drama.

No problems with any of the departures. Skrine, take the yellow flag with you.

Last edited by DonCoyote; 03/28/15 05:52 PM.
E
Legend
Legend
E
j/c...sort of sad a discussion on which retread back up maybe can start QB is better - better for the Browns.

There is a reason they are Vets and basic retreads. Probably the most success is Fitz...but not one of these QBs would be good enough to get the Lombardi and I'm talking with the RAVENS 2000 D and Bucs D with Johnson.

Mac...Hoyer was in FA land for 3-4 closer to 10 times the length of McCown...heck he didn't even reach FA opening. Of course there was more teams looking at Hoyer.

We know we won't win anything with Hoyer he had his shot and proved when crunch time comes the good - great ones get better...he got worse. Not a virtue you wish to have. And yet we offered him a contract that he said he'd like to stay with Cleveland if they assured he would have a shot as the starter. I don't know how we answered to him all I know is he said he wanted to test his worth in the FA market. In the NFL you snooze you lose. You own a business and your GM says hey thanks for this raise but you know what...I'm going to test the waters out there...I might get more. You get your ASS fired and they hire a new GM. Pure and simple...once he opted to test the waters...with no tag situation...if we are smart he is dead to us.

jmho McCown is not bad - he just isn't great. Him coming in to start is not a Pederson situation...or a Detmer or a Miami U QB who was great but not in the PROS??? Dorsey...thats him

Hoyer I loved him...but I hated him for choking when we had a shot to win our division and get in the playoffs. That was the worst, don't understand anyone really pining for him. Discussion on which is better as a fact...If any of them is our STARTING QB...we aren't going anywhere with them. That is the only fact I know.

jmho oh n Pblack that just told me that Haslam respects Farmers over all knowledge of the game. Doesn't support any claim that he thinks Farmer knows more than Pettine. But that smelled like Haslam was really the one who complained...lol laugh

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: Damanshot

I certainly won't say there weren't other contributing factors. I'm neither anti-Hoyer nor a huge Hoyer supporter. The run game went south after Mack's injury. When Gordon came back he was more of a handicap than a help. I'm certainly one who understands there were other factors.

However, I will also say there were things that solely rested on Hoyer's shoulders that also went south. Hoyer's deep balls were never usually good. He simply didn't have the arm strength needed. Some looked more like WR's waiting for punts rather than a WR making a catch. This was something that was noticeable early on though.

What I saw that noticeably stood out to me was that Hoyer's footwork got progressively worse. Something that over time you would expect to do just the opposite. You expect progression in this regard, not regression. His overall mechanics just seemed to go downhill.

Now I do understand that with a diminishing run game it put more weight on his shoulders. But I also understand this FO not wanting to make a big commitment to someone who from appearances, seems to be going backwards.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: DonCoyote
I'm okay with our free agency so far.

I like Bowe/Hartline. Wish there were better options, this is a rare FA with little options at WR. I'm fine with Starks and Williams, don't care about age or $$$ on those deals. Not going to hurt us long-term in any way. McCown, I don't really understand that type of $$$, we'll see. But I kind of see him as Hoyer without the drama.

No problems with any of the departures. Skrine, take the yellow flag with you.

+ 1. I think Skrine got paid a lot so that's why I'm okay seeing him go. He's the highest paid nickel corner in the NFL lol, unless maybe the Jets planning to trade him for a pick or in a deal for a pick(s)? Who knows, but Jets as of now have the best trio of corners and maybe they fully intend going into regular season with that. I also don't fully get the McCown money but if the offense is going to be back to running hte ball at-will, heck maybe even JF can play starter and do decent.

"D" is reasonable grade, we didn't make any splash signings or spend a ton of money - but the front office made it clear that would be the case. I too am okay with FA, it provides some stop gaps at some positions.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
His statements to me suggests that he knows Farmer was a former player and understands how things are run, not the way you state it as if he was telling Farmer to override Pettine.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: pblack18707

"Ray's smart. He works hard. I think he understands football..."

I "THINK" he understands football??????
Hilarious.

Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
j/c every time we get a good grade... we stink it up. every time we get made fun of... we do well. I'll take the grade.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
Legend
Legend
A "D"... That's an improvement, so I"m not complaining. brownie

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
C
Legend
Legend
C
All the other free agency threads are locked, so I thought I'd put this here:

Eagles sign Miles Austin

W
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
W
Saw that earlier today. Did we still have him signed? Will we get a compensatory pick for him? Sad to see him go. He could at least push the young guys in camp....

#gmstrong.
C
Legend
Legend
C
His contract is pretty low, so if we got any picks for him they'd be very late. Austin was gone the minute we signed Bowe.

D
Legend
Legend
D
I wish Austin the best. He was a very key piece to what offense we had last year until he thought it'd be a wise choice to try to hurdle someone. The fact that he stuck around with the team, attended meetings and traveled with the team even after being sidelined with the injury is a testament to the man's character.

Again, I wish him NOTHING but the best!

P
Legend
Legend
P
+1 thumbsup

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: WVDawg54
Saw that earlier today. Did we still have him signed?

If we still had him signed then the Eagles would not have been able to sign him.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
Originally Posted By: mac
Quote:
We lost Hoyer and added McCown, like it or hate it, McCown was a more sought after QB than hoyer due to the fact he is a better QB. +

1day...actually, your claim about McCown being more sought after than Hoyer, is not true based on the information I have found.

The Bills and Browns were interested in McCown.

Hoyer had the following interest...

Texans/Titans

[color:#FFFF99]

Vikings/49ers

Jets

[/color]Of course, these two teams aren’t alone in their pursuit of McCown. The New York Jets and Chicago Bears have been tied to McCown, but those rumors were largely founded through McCown’s initial series of visits that took place after he was initially released. Those trips included visits to Cleveland and Buffalo, as well as other destinations.

Obviously there were more teams interested in Josh, just may have not been reported. However he was the consensus top free agent QB.

C
Legend
Legend
C
He was? That's news to me.

Practice Squad
Practice Squad
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
He was? That's news to me.
Yep, its called google. amazing thing

D
Legend
Legend
D
Free Agency thread locked so, for your viewing pleasure:

Ravens sign Matt Schaub lol!

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/03/31/ravens-sign-matt-schaub/

C
Legend
Legend
C
This would make a lot more sense if Kubiak was still around.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Just basic interview on the site, thought I'd post it.

Joe Thomas interview

Outside of an occasional University of Wisconsin basketball highlight, Joe Thomas hasn’t watched sports since the NFL playoffs concluded. He’s completely unplugged himself on his property in Wisconsin. Besides checking in briefly with new offensive coordinator John DeFilippo, Thomas has even kept his cell phone away from sight.

Thomas stopped by the Browns’ facility last week for a Play 60 event and sat down with ClevelandBrowns.com

Q: How important will Alex Mack’s return to the offensive line be?

Joe Thomas: Well he’s obviously a huge part of our offense. Being the center, right in the middle of the offensive line, he’s the one that makes all the calls on the line. He gets everybody lined up in protections and in the run game. He’s a huge part and obviously he’s the best center in the NFL. His loss (to an injury) last year really hurt us. Having him back will be a huge boost for the entire offense.

Q: There has been a lot of turnover on the Browns’ offensive coaching staff this year, but not on the offensive line. Coaches Andy Moeller and George DeLeone are both back. How important is that continuity with your position coaches returning?

Joe Thomas: I think it’s really important. The offensive line is all about cohesion and communication. That starts with the offensive line coaches and it trickles down to the players. Having the same guys teaching the same coaching methods is going to be a huge thing for us. For a guy like Joel Bitonio, I think that’s really important. As a young player it’s important to get your feet under yourself and have some consistency early in your career.

Q: What are your expectations of Mike Pettine in year two?

Joe Thomas: I’m really excited coach Pettine is back for his second season. I think he kind of surprised everybody in the NFL with the job he did in his first season. He proved that the job is not too big for him. He proved that he was definitely ready to be an NFL coach. I think he’s going to make big strides in his second season. And I think you are going to see that in our win/loss record. He does a great job with his steady approach. He’s not a roller coaster guy. He’s very blunt. He tells you how it is. I think those are great attributes to have as an NFL coach.

Q: What are your initial thoughts on what wide receivers Dwayne Bowe and Brian Hartline will bring to the Browns?

Joe Thomas: You look at those two guys and they are two different receivers. They both are really going to help us and fill a void and a need. Dwayne is a big, fast, physical receiver and he’ll be a guy that can take a top off a defense. I think Brian is going to do a great job with a lot of the underneath stuff. He’s going to be a great compliment in the slot to Andrew Hawkins.

Q: How else are you spending your off-time?

Joe Thomas: Well from February to April the most important thing, no matter what the pundits on ESPN tell you, is to get away from the game, mentally refocus and to spend time with your family. Because once April starts, it’s pretty much a grind all the way until the end of the season in January. It’s important to be refreshed and recharged.

Legend
Legend
Nice that they didn't ask him about the QB position. Don't need to put him on the spot like that. I mean really, what's he going to say... "We need one." done.

yebat' Putin
V
Legend
Legend
V
I'd rather have Schaub than McCown.

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
That's an...interesting opinion.

you had a good run Hank.
V
Legend
Legend
V
Interesting? How so?

Show me career numbers that make it so "interesting?" Thanks in advance.

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Schaub has been in a heavy downward slope the last few years. Last year he threw 10 passes, and 2 of them were intercepted. It's unfair to totally judge McCown just on last year because he was doomed without an OC.

McCown is still an acceptable backup. Schaub has a dead arm.

you had a good run Hank.
V
Legend
Legend
V
Biased and inaccurate, but at least it was "interesting" to see how well you falsified the truth.

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Biased and inaccurate, but at least it was "interesting" to see how well you falsified the truth.

What did I falsify?

you had a good run Hank.
V
Legend
Legend
V
I asked you to provide career numbers. You completely ignored that and posted some crap about Schaub only throwing 10 passes this past year and that he has a dead arm. You then blamed McCown's poor showing on the team he played for. That is the same team that cut his ass after just one year.

You wanna keep going w/this?

A
Legend
Legend
A
You seem like an angry person. In most of your posts. Relax.

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Yes I do, because I fail to see how Career numbers are indicative of anything other than Schaub USED to be a good QB. So fair enough, I ignored posting the career numbers because they don't prove anything worthwhile.

But if you wish, Schaub has been a much better career QB. His career numbers are very good. McCown's aren't.

you had a good run Hank.
V
Legend
Legend
V
Angry person? That is an insult. rofl

I was suspended for calling Memphis a liar after he said I was a liar when I clearly was NOT lying.

Wonder if you will be suspended for calling me a name?

Btw-----why do you stalk me? Inferiority complex? Control issues? Lack of self esteem? Whatever it is..........it's creepy.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Okay.......at least you are honest, unlike most around here.

Let me ask you this..........what makes you think McCown is better based on his career numbers and most importantly [according to your most recent logic] on what he did last year?

A
Legend
Legend
A
Angry person? That is an insult. rofl

I was suspended for calling Memphis a liar after he said I was a liar when I clearly was NOT lying.

Wonder if you will be suspended for calling me a name?

Btw-----why do you stalk me? Inferiority complex? Control issues? Lack of self esteem? Whatever it is..........it's creepy.

I didn't call you a name. I said you seem like an angry person. Post after post, you prove it.

What is creepy is your seeming anger.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I am not angry at all, but thanks for your concern.

Weird.

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Okay.......at least you are honest, unlike most around here.

Let me ask you this..........what makes you think McCown is better based on his career numbers and most importantly [according to your most recent logic] on what he did last year?

Statistically, he put up numbers similar to the last year Schaub started, so statistically, I have little hope.

However, I've watched a few games he played. His arm still looks strong and the offense just looked really poorly designed. It seems like it's unfair to say that, making it a cop out, but really McCown got a raw deal in Tampa. It was a poorly designed fit from the start.

I'm mildly optimistic that with the line that he'll have in front of him, McCown will look competent.

you had a good run Hank.
V
Legend
Legend
V
I like that you took the time to present a logical argument. I did not like the sarcasm of you saying me preferring Schaub over McCown as "interesting," as if it was ludicrous.

I will let it go. Let's hope you are right and McCown plays well.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Cleveland Browns get 'D' free agency grade from ESPN insiders

Link Copied to Clipboard