Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
MrKelso Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Sorry if this post sitting somewhere else. If it is, just go ahead and delete it or move it refs.

I got a notification from Bleacher Report not 10 minutes ago on my phone (sorry no link) stating that many sources close to the situation believe that Phillip Rivers could be obtained for two 1st-round draft picks.

Which leads to the question.

Is he worth that? And would Cleveland have a chance at him?

To me, I trade #12 and #19 in a heart beat and don't think twice about the move.

If he could be obtained for ONLY our 1st-round picks that will still leave us with 8-picks to address some of our needs.

I think a guy like Rivers instantly makes us a team that can contend for the playoffs in 2015, and possibly a championship by 2017 if we continue to build the right way.

Again, if this topic is being discussed elsewhere, please delete or move my post.

"You can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave"
C
Legend
Legend
C
I think Rivers is trying to force his way to Tennessee.

If he was available to us, I would definitely trade both of our first round picks for him.

Legend
Legend
If we were going to trade 1 1st for Bradford..

Trading 2 for Rivers is easy..

Are you only getting tops, maybe 3-4 out of him? Sure..

But it'd be a great 3-4.. And is still more than we usually get from 1st rounders.

We win the North easily this year with Rivers.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Legend
Legend
We would still have to be sure of re-signing Rivers after the trade. That could be a big stumbling block.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
We would still have to be sure of re-signing Rivers after the trade. That could be a big stumbling block.

You're most likely not going to make that trade without that in place.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S
At this stage of his career no thanks. I say use the draft to strengthen our defense as much as possible. Having a defense that can keep you in any game. Is a huge plus. Then we go get our franchise qb if he is not already on our roster.

" Now here you are running these dirty old streets tattoo on your neck fake gold on your teeth, got the hood here snowed but you can't fool me, we both know who you are"
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: slick
Then we go get our franchise qb if he is not already on our roster.

Oh right, I forgot how easy it was to go get one..

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Originally Posted By: ThatGuy
Originally Posted By: slick
Then we go get our franchise qb if he is not already on our roster.

Oh right, I forgot how easy it was to go get one..

yeah, weve had several the last few years

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
My first reaction...if we are going to give up our two first round picks for Rivers...why not do what it takes to get mariota or winston?

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
D
Legend
Legend
D
Although I don't view Rivers as "elite", I do view him as a day-one upgrade to our entire offensive unit. A veteran like that with his experience and I think he has got plenty left in the tank for three plus years.

I'd have zero qualms sending the first two to acquire him, if we can make sure to get an extension ordeal worked out and then I'd be extremely happy there. Throw JF and the our #19 for Bradford, who IMO is going to retire after he is given the call and tears up that ACL for the third and final time, then yes... two for Rivers is IMO, high but reasonable. Better than trading two first for an unknown QB like Mariota who has experience in a one-read style offense.

If the possibility is there, we had best be pursuing it at the very least!!!!!!!!!!!!

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: mac
My first reaction...if we are going to give up our two first round picks for Rivers...why not do what it takes to get mariota or winston?

Because Rivers is a great NFL QB. You can win THIS YEAR with him..

Who knows about the other two.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Throw in the presence he offers to a developing QB and the pressure it would take off the need to find a franchise QB NOW.

Last edited by W84NxtYrAgain; 04/14/15 05:08 PM.

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain
Throw in the presence he offers to a developing QB and the pressure it would take of the need to find a franchise QB NOW.

Yes I didn't even mention that, but that alone is worth it's weight in gold... solid point bro!

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: Dawg_LB
Throw in the presence he offers to a developing QB and the pressure it would take of the need to find a franchise QB NOW.

Yes I didn't even mention that, but that alone is worth it's weight in gold... solid point bro!

yea. he could do wonders for?????? shaw????

being a browns fan is like taking your dog to vet every week to be put down...
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
If we were going to trade 1 1st for Bradford..

Trading 2 for Rivers is easy..

Are you only getting tops, maybe 3-4 out of him? Sure..

But it'd be a great 3-4.. And is still more than we usually get from 1st rounders.

We win the North easily this year with Rivers.

I wouldn't trade both first round picks.. maybe a 1st and a fourth.. but not both firsts. Rivers is 33 years old with his best years behind him, but he could turn the Browns into a winner and give us time to prepare for our next starting QB. I would love to see Rivers in Cleveland, backed up by McCown and Shaw.. naughtydevil

The Cleveland Browns - WE KNOW QUARTERBACKS ( Look at how many we've had ... )
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: pblack18707

Factoring the draft is two weeks out, a move like that could heavily effect what we do in the second to fifth rounds. You'd think we'd obviously axe Thad Lewis and Shaw likely as' well, we'd have McCown, JF and Rivers. Grayson, Petty and <insert_name_here> become even more so a good looking project QB.

Or they scour the wavier wire or whatever. Next years draft. There are a ton of options, options that are possibly not on this team that could be here, and benefit. Your post seems pointless.

JMO

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Petty??? Hundley??? Mannion??? Cook??? Prescott??? Jones??? Hackenberg??? ...???

1. #GMstrong
4. ClemenZa #1
D
All Pro
All Pro
D
This comes up every year with Rivers. I don't think they trade unless they have a groomed QB or the trade involves a QB.

I would trade 2 first rounders for him: Gilbert and Johnny Football.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
So what QB would SD take with those picks to replace him?

rivers is not an option, as the Browns have no QB to use a part of the deal.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: ChargerDawg

The thought is that the Chargers would then trade their pick and our two picks for Mariota.

The real rumor is the Chargers offering Rivers and pick(s) to the Titans for the #2 pick.

Here is a good article on the Rivers situation.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: ChargerDawg

Now what you go and do that for, inject reality into a perfectly good fantasy.

1. #GMstrong
4. ClemenZa #1
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Quote:
Your post seems pointless.

you think farmer will waste more draft picks on a qb after what we give up for rivers? he already talked up shaw.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
If Rivers won't sign an extension with the Browns, it makes no sense to trade for him.

Also, this...
link

Because of his pending Free Agency in 2016, Rivers has what amounts to a no-trade clause (i.e. no team will give up big assets for Rivers without some assurance he'll sign an extension).

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
He's I think 33 or 34, I'm not sure I'd want to give up 2 first rounders for a guy that will only be around a few years (unless we get lucky) and will be asking for $15-20m a year.

I'd give up #12 and Johnny, or maybe #12 and #19 for Rivers and #48, but I don't think I'd want to give up both first rounders for just Rivers.

Interesting question though.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Manziel is worth next to nothing. Some would even say he has negative value.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Manziel is worth next to nothing. Some would even say he has negative value.

i think he is toxic. between him and farmer cost us at least 5 games last year. jmo.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Quote:

you think farmer will waste more draft picks on a qb after what we give up for rivers? he already talked up shaw.

Who said whoever QB has to come from this year's draft? Who says it even needs to come from the draft period? There are a ton of ways, outside the draft, to acquire a project QB.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Quote:

Who said whoever QB has to come from this year's draft? Who says it even needs to come from the draft period? There are a ton of ways, outside the draft, to acquire a project QB.

yea and that is shaw who farmer already talked up.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
jc...

If Phillip Rivers is dealt, the only team he is likely to agree to sign an extension for is the Titans.

Rivers is from Decatur, Alabama, which is about 140 miles south of the Titans stadium in Nashville. Rivers and his wife are both from Decatur and have known each other since middle school. They have 7 children.

The Titans, with the #2 pick would be the perfect trading partner for the Chargers, who can't afford to wait another year to deal Rivers, if they are going to get anything for him.

River's has already indicated that he is not interested in the Chargers moving to L.A. next season...therefore, the window of opportunity is now, if the Chargers want something in return for Rivers.

It seems that the Browns have no leverage at all concerning the possibility of landing Rivers.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Rivers I would love him here and he has 3 maybe more of elite years...a tougher QB there isn't - easy to follow him - OL would love him.

Two picks for me I'd wouldn't think twice. If they wanted Manziel also I would try to get it One first One Third and Manziel ???

I'm still slowly getting amped for Manziel being our QB and make all these sorry ass writers eat their words! And some fans too...lol laugh

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend
I'm not sure where to look, but isn't Rivers in the last year of his contract?

I think I'd give up our firsts for him, but not without a long term deal in place first if indeed this is the last year on his contract.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
1st String
1st String
I like the idea of Rivers playing for us, but for two 1st rd picks?! Sorry that makes zero sense to me. If Rivers was in his mid 20's maybe, but he's not. I'd rather get a run stuffer and a real threat at WR.

B
Legend
Legend
B
I agree Mac.

I am not all that interested in a QB on the back side of his career who is a little short of Peyton Manning status.

I agree with Slick. Hold the picks, build the team, and see what happens. Maybe McCown becomes our DeBurg(sp)....or maybe Johnny bears fruit.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
Originally Posted By: eotab
I'm still slowly getting amped for Manziel being our QB and make all these sorry ass writers eat their words! And some fans too...lol laugh

This.

Most recent internet rumors have a SD/Tennessee trade with Mariota going to SD.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: TripleOption
Originally Posted By: eotab

This.

Most recent internet rumors have a SD/Tennessee trade with Mariota going to SD.

Now that makes some sense.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
of course Mariota would go to San Diego .. In a trade, San Diego would have Tennessee's second pick in the draft.. so they would get either Mariota or Winston to replace Rivers. That is what the trade is all about... Trading Rivers to get Mariota/Winston. The Browns do not have anything to offer the Chargers for Rivers, just as they did not have anything to offer St. Louis for Bradford because Manziel blew all his potential value in his 6 quarters of playing time last year... not even 2 first round picks would give the Chargers what they need... unless Mariota falls in the draft.... but if he did fall all the way to 12... fingerscrossed would anyone here then trade pick 12 ( Mariota ) for Rivers ?

The Cleveland Browns - WE KNOW QUARTERBACKS ( Look at how many we've had ... )
V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

This is a move I could get behind. I remember a few years ago when it was said that Rivers might become available, a larger percentage of the old Browns board said they would rather roll w/Weeden. brownie

Rivers is an elite qb and like tab said, he is a good leader and the OL would love him. He has hardly missed any games. He is strong and durable. He has quite a few good years left.

The problem is that we probably have no shot at him. It would be the Titans. If this trade is made, I think SD would be making a major mistake.

Legend
Legend
Quote:
but if he did fall all the way to 12... would anyone here then trade pick 12 ( Mariota ) for Rivers ?

If he gets passed the Jets (unlikely) and we can move 12 up without spending an addition first.. I'd consider trading up to get Mariota.. And then move him to SD for Rivers..

Legend
Legend
Quote:
but if he did fall all the way to 12... would anyone here then trade pick 12 ( Mariota ) for Rivers ?

If he gets passed the Jets (unlikely) and we can move 12 up without spending an addition first.. I'd consider trading up to get Mariota.. And then move him to SD for Rivers..

If he's there at six there is no way the jets pass on him....

I'm a bit torn... Rivers is as very good qb...don't know if he can take us to a Super Bowl but he would make us a playoff contender.... But I don't think he'd sign an extension here...

<><

#gmstrong
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
For two first round picks? No way. First round picks are actually really valuable, despite how remarkably bad the Browns have been in using them (you hope they can do better in this draft-- otherwise why is the G.M. still here?)

He is 33. This will be his age 34 season. Some QBs have played very well into their late 30s but many others drop off sooner. Him agreeing to come here would likely be contingent on him signing a massive extension. That would be fine in free agency-- not so much when you have to give up two firsts to do so.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Is Phillip Rivers an option?

Link Copied to Clipboard