Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
V
Legend
Legend
V
Yet, some are more than willing to give up two firsts for Mariotta. LOL........the guy is a long-shot in my mind to even be a decent qb. Others would be willing to give up 2 first round picks for Winston. He might end up in jail.

We traded up for Manziel. He just left rehab and sucked last year.

But no, we don't want a qb who has proven he can play in this league. We would rather take shots on guys w/more questions than answers.

Brilliant.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Short of charges filed or pictures with rolled up 20's Mariota and Winston are gone by 5. Probably by 3. Everyone needs to stop dreaming about a free falling to 12 or whatever for either one. This isn't that year IMO. If they do fall... It's because of charges filed or champaign rides on inflatable swans.

Anyway, Rivers.... Biggest strikes against are that expiring contract and his (purported) unwillingness to move. If he had 3 years on his contract and wasn't likely to get wedgie over moving I'd give up both 1sts in a heartbeat. Otherwise he's exactly like Bradford... only a better QB. But it's not going to happen because of that contract I actually believe the no-will-move story. Have you been to San Diego? I do not blame him.

"Team Chemistry No Match for Team Biology" (Onion Sports Headline)
Legend
Legend
He can rent an apartment.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Yet, some are more than willing to give up two firsts for Mariotta. LOL........the guy is a long-shot in my mind to even be a decent qb. Others would be willing to give up 2 first round picks for Winston. He might end up in jail.

We traded up for Manziel. He just left rehab and sucked last year.

But no, we don't want a qb who has proven he can play in this league. We would rather take shots on guys w/more questions than answers.

Brilliant.

Yes I get that Rivers is a proven commodity, and that QB is by far the most important position on the field.

Yet, he is 33 years old. You're burning two first round picks and a huge amount of cap space to get the guy. It's just not worth it, IMO. When you are building a team, you have to be able to look past what is best for this year or the next couple years.

I don't watch a ton of college football and I don't claim to be a scout so I don't know if Mariota is worth two firsts. You have to understand that given the contracts each would get, trading for Rivers is a much bigger investment even if the draft picks involved are the same. So the upside with a rookie QB is much higher-- Mariota is 12 years younger and would come at a relative bargain as far as contract goes.

Look at how the Seahawks have been able to stack their roster since they have been paying Russell Wilson $20million/year or whatever less than what some other top QBs are being paid (Rivers would be paid like a top QB if he signed an extension with the Browns.)

J
All Pro
All Pro
J
disagree would rather be in the playoffs with rivers.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Nice argument and you may be right.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I'm not sure PR has enough in the tank for Cleveland. He's old. He's never played well in the winter and he's probably worth a 2nd round pick. Teams asking for 2 first round draft picks are nuts.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: 10YrOvernightSuccess
Short of charges filed or pictures with rolled up 20's Mariota and Winston are gone by 5. Probably by 3. Everyone needs to stop dreaming about a free falling to 12 or whatever for either one. This isn't that year IMO. If they do fall... It's because of charges filed or champaign rides on inflatable swans.

I would go even further and say that the QBs are going #1 and #2.

Originally Posted By: 10YrOvernightSuccess
Anyway, Rivers.... Biggest strikes against are that expiring contract and his (purported) unwillingness to move. If he had 3 years on his contract and wasn't likely to get wedgie over moving I'd give up both 1sts in a heartbeat. Otherwise he's exactly like Bradford... only a better QB. But it's not going to happen because of that contract I actually believe the no-will-move story. Have you been to San Diego? I do not blame him.

Rivers' wife is from Nashville. He is from Decatur, Alabama, which is only a two hour drive. If he moves he is moving home. There is a 0% chance he is getting traded to us. It's Titans or bust.

T
Legend
Legend
T
That was a fun game. " We win the north easily this year with Rivers" and my reaction was,
No not easily, not with any 3 players in the league.

Give us any 3 players in the league and we still don't win the north easily this year.

And whatever my thought process, Brady, Lynch, and ? and I kinda had to say, define easily.
So it would tak 3 players, and one of em would have to be Brady. Belichic? no, coaches not allowed.

Oh yeah, the 3rd one was Gronkowski. But look, I, still don't think easily. winning the AfC north is never going to be easy. Ahem! Exception, .. those coulple years in the 1980's .. But back then Schott was the coach, so, and all he did was win divisions.

If there is a hall of fame, Marty Schottenheimer belongs in it.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: ThatGuy
He can rent an apartment.

rofl

Legend
Legend
At his age, with his arm, and with our weather I would not give you one first round pick for him.

Unless that one 1st round pick was Johnny straight up in a trade naughtydevil

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
E
Legend
Legend
E
j/c...well I don't even think we've been linked to this in any way - So two Mid First round picks is not that desirable to the Chargers. And if he has no more years on the contract it would have to take a sit down with Pettine to get him amped enough to join the Browns. But we are not even in the convo so I think all are get worked up about nothing. Always liked Rivers he was a #4 pick that sat and learned the correct way and was a good QB from the word go.

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: mac
jc...

If Phillip Rivers is dealt, the only team he is likely to agree to sign an extension for is the Titans.

Rivers is from Decatur, Alabama, which is about 140 miles south of the Titans stadium in Nashville. Rivers and his wife are both from Decatur and have known each other since middle school. They have 7 children.

The Titans, with the #2 pick would be the perfect trading partner for the Chargers, who can't afford to wait another year to deal Rivers, if they are going to get anything for him.

River's has already indicated that he is not interested in the Chargers moving to L.A. next season...therefore, the window of opportunity is now, if the Chargers want something in return for Rivers.

It seems that the Browns have no leverage at all concerning the possibility of landing Rivers.

Quoting myself from the first page, so I don't have to retype the info.

IMO, not even a pep talk from Pettine is going to convince Rivers to come to Cleveland.

Now if Haslam opens the vault and makes him an obscene offer...then "maybe" Rivers gives the Browns some consideration. I doubt that Haslam does that and I doubt that Rivers has any plans to make a new home in Cleveland.

Last edited by mac; 04/15/15 07:39 AM.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
B
Legend
Legend
B
Has Rivers said he wants to be close to Decatur? I guess if he still has any family in the area it would be an easy enough drive for them to get to his home games.

At any rate, I don't want to toss a couple of first round picks on a 33 year old QB.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
From what I've read, Rivers, his wife and 7 kids live in San Diego year round. They do visit Decatur and I would assume with both Phil and Tiffany being from Decatur, they more than likely do have family in the area.

I did read that Rivers does not want to move his family to L.A. if the Chargers are moved.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
MrKelso Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
I thought I had heard that Rivers wanted to have his family closer to home, which I've heard maybe Tennessee? If that's true it could give Cleveland a fighting chance at signing him to an extension.

Rivers might be 33-years old, but we don't have a realistic chance at landing the only franchise QB in this up coming draft (Jameis Winston) so I would still trade #12 and #19 to rent Rivers for 3 to 4 more seasons.

I think a guy like Rivers could be successful with Bowe, Hartline, Hawkins and Houser. (plus whoever we draft).

Giving up #12 and #19 wouldn't be the end of the world either, we would still have 8 draft picks to work with...

I'm sure having three 1st-round picks would sound extremely enticing to the Chargers.

Last edited by MrKelso; 04/15/15 09:06 AM.

"You can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave"
E
Legend
Legend
E
Bottom line we haven't been mentioned to be remotely involved in these rumors. So I too don't think he's coming here.

I mentioned Pettine cause he has the Charisma. Haslam would be able to use his southern drawl to make him comfortable and the use of his Private Jet to visit the wife and kids and vice versa. There are many ways to woo somebody we really want as long as his agent is not Condon.

But we come right down to square one...this is about the Chargers getting Mariota if and thats a BIG "IF" the rumors are true. So a lot to do about NOTHING what is this a Sienfeld Show?

jmho wink

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Odds are pretty good he will be out of the league in 2-4 years at max. I aint giving up a first round pick for that.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:
Phil and Tiffany

Did anyone else find this humorous?

Tackles are tackles.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
No. Next question.

The Browns finally have a leader in the building. It won't be long before Jim Schwartz is in charge. Thankfully.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
Quote:
Phil and Tiffany

Did anyone else find this humorous?

I saw no humor. Perhaps though Memphis, I don't understand what you are alluding to...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
M
Legend
Legend
M
No big deal. It's not meant to be an insult. I saw Phil (instead of Phillip) and the wife's first name.

Seemed like he knows them. Thought it was funny. Guess not. Moving on.

Tackles are tackles.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
No big deal. It's not meant to be an insult. I saw Phil (instead of Phillip) and the wife's first name.

Seemed like he knows them. Thought it was funny. Guess not. Moving on.

Gotcha! Actually, understanding that, I can now see some humor in it... thumbsup

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Why in the universe would any decent QB want to be here???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Especially Rivers...

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: SuperBrown
Why in the universe would any decent QB want to be here???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Especially Rivers...

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ + HOF career!!!

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: bbrowns32
Originally Posted By: SuperBrown

Especially Rivers...

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ + HOF career!!!

Very likely......... rofl

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
Has Rivers said he wants to be close to Decatur? I guess if he still has any family in the area it would be an easy enough drive for them to get to his home games.

At any rate, I don't want to toss a couple of first round picks on a 33 year old QB.

From everything I've seen Peen, all he really eluded to is that he believes San Diego may relocate to L.A. and he simply doesn't want to raise his kids in L.A.

Everything else has been people trying to connect the dots.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted By: GMdawg
At his age, with his arm, and with our weather I would not give you one first round pick for him.

His arm? What's wrong w/his arm?

His age? 33? How much older is he than Weeden? You were willing to give him a chance to prove himself, yet you don't want a guy who is not much older and is one of the best qbs in the league a chance?

That's weird, bro.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: mac
From what I've read, Rivers, his wife and 7 kids live in San Diego year round. They do visit Decatur and I would assume with both Phil and Tiffany being from Decatur, they more than likely do have family in the area.

I did read that Rivers does not want to move his family to L.A. if the Chargers are moved.

Thanks. I hadn't seen anything on it, but then again don't keep up on Phil Rivers.

I have been to Decatur many times. It's a nice enough place, but I wouldn't call it great by any means.....but if it is home, it's home

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
I can understand why people wouldnt want to pay two 1sts for a 33 year old QB.

But if the choices are..

Trade for Rivers
Trade for Bradford
Trade up for Mariota

Then Rivers, IMO is the best option. Hell if he's interested, id rather trade for Rivers than keep the picks..

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Originally Posted By: GMdawg

His arm? What's wrong w/his arm?

His age? 33? How much older is he than Weeden? You were willing to give him a chance to prove himself, yet you don't want a guy who is not much older and is one of the best qbs in the league a chance?

That's weird, bro.

Nothing wrong with his arm that being twice as strong wouldn't fix bro. It's weak, it's wimpy. In just a few short years you will have a old, slow, weak armed QB.

Now as for Weeds I was ticked when we drafted him. I didn't bash him because just like with every draft pick I said we needed to give him time to prove himself. It took him two years to prove he sucked.

Legend
Legend
I think you are vastly understating Rivers arm strength..

Legend
Legend
I think your wrong.

Watch some film of him last year. Not to many passes going out on a rope going on. Lots of touch passes, passes floated up there. rivers is accurate and he is good with those type of passes but he does have an arm like mine. (and I just had a stroke on my right side six weeks ago)

MrKelso Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Compare the pro's and con's of the situation.

Pro's

-We get Phillip Rivers, who is immediately 5x better than any quarterback we've had here in Cleveland since returning in 1999.

-We now have a proven, veteran quarterback, who has consistently put up great numbers.

-Adding Rivers upgrades the most important position on the entire team, and with our strong offensive line, and what should be a strong defense, we MAY in fact be an immediate playoff contender.

-Even trading the #12 and #19 overall picks, we still have 8 draft picks to work with. (and at least 10 in the 2016 draft). It's not like we're mortgaging our entire draft or future for him even if he's only a 3 to 4 year rental.

-Trading for Rivers means we don't have to rely on Josh McCown finding lightening in a bottle to contend for the playoffs. It also means we don't have to rely on Manziel. Maybe we can even bring him along slowly and groom him for a few years? (Long shot, I know).

Con's

-We give up two first round picks.
-He's 33 years old. Meaning we're looking at 3 to 4 years at best.
-Rivers has struggled in colder weather.
-He doesn't have a stellar playoff record.

Those are seriously the only con's I can think of when it comes to Rivers.

In my opinion. Still worth the trade.

If San Diego wanted all 10 of our draft picks, I would say hell no, but they might bite on the #12 and #19 picks, which I could live with considering we'll still have 8 picks to work with.

This is all hypothetical and assuming Rivers would agree to an extension with us.

If we trade for Rivers, he plays well, and we go 10-6 or 11-5, not a single person on this board is going to be worried about trading two first round picks to get him, we'll be celebrating a winning team FOR A CHANGE.

"You can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave"
2nd String
2nd String
Trade? Did U say 'Trade?' The only trades the Browns should possibly consider is down for more options.
Trade for Rivers, oh h--- no, don't do it.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
I said it before, keep all the picks we have and draft to fill all our needs. It's about time we addressed our poor run D and pass rush. Because of our QB situation we need to be an " old fashion" type team this year. Stout run D and be able to run the ball well. That is the key to winning at this time for us. JMO

E
Legend
Legend
E
All I know is this.

1. Phillip Rivers and Browns are not even in the discussion in the Rumor department. So it ain't happening.

2. On the Dream land department - Philip Rivers + 8 draft picks. for our 2015 Draft...I would pee in my pants! As in elated not a negative pee...lol laugh

jmho

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:

San Diego's Philip Rivers is one of the best quarterbacks in the league and a big reason why is his arm strength.

Although he has a quirky throwing motion, he is able to generate very good velocity and is exceptional at throwing down the field. He is able to make all the throws, whether they are deep in-between the hashes or outside the numbers.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/12665...ing-qbs/page/17

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
IMO, Rivers is well worth our two number ones. He is legit, and it would make our offense instantly legit.

#gmstrong
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
It seems the Tennessee Titans have traded for the present Rivers so San Diego can have a future Mariota. (Does he own some Mormon hotels????)

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Is Phillip Rivers an option?

Link Copied to Clipboard