Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
T
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
T
Hey guys, just wanted to know of some the higher ranked players you think will bust or be severely disappointing in this years draft.

We all know years down the road like every other draft, there will be a lot of failed round 1 and 2 picks...Here's a couple that in my opinion won't amount to much

Bud Dupree LB/DE- I just don't see anything special to be considered a top 10 pick

Sammie Coats WR- Horrible hands and I think hed be more of say a Benji player versus a star.

Devin Funchess TE/WR- another iffy pass catcher, whom can't block if he is going to be a TE...if he converts to WR sadly I see more of WR Jeff Fuller in him vs say a Megatron

Jordan Phillips DT- weak motor, questionable ethic and dedication...Could be next Phil Taylor (maybe not a bust, but disappointing)

Shane Ray- doesn't show much on tape except quickness with that first step

Danielle Hunter- another one I watched and wondered why is he being mocked so high

Tori Gurley RB- Well being a beast at Georgia, I always question taking a RB in round 1 coming of ACL injury...his impact may come slower than some expect.

Andreus Peat OT- a little soft for my liking, I like the disposition much more of say someone like Daryl Williams OT Oklahoma...Peat does look much more athletic though and more of a LT vs RT

Randy Gregory- before the failed drug tests, I thought this guy was a big project at any means

Curious to hear whom you guys want us to steer away from as well...Its nearly draft day!! smile

Last edited by tru_dawgs; 04/26/15 02:28 PM.
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
I want us to stay away from Sam Bradford.... if he counts in this conversation.

I think Winston is going to be a huge bust. Not that we will be in a position to draft him.

I do disagree with you on Gurley, I think he is going to be the next great running back. Some team is going to get a really good value thanks to that ACL injury.

T
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
T
Haha I agree with Sam Bradford...no way he lasts a full season if he is indeed inquired.

Winston seems a little too dumb for my liking...I like him on the field, off the field he has a lot of iffy scenarios he has put himself through...he very well could be a major disappointment.

With Gurley, I think it may just take him time to find his niche coming of ACL surgery which is common...however I don't think he'll instantly be a star...but its all guess work from here lol

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Being a 2000 yard back from wisonsin is like finding a prize in a box of cracker jacks. BUST

RB coming off a knee injury taken in the first is more often than not a backup only or total bust. Gurley doesnt look good due to injury bug.

Beasley disappears for 3 quarters at a time. Bust

Gregory, cant stay clean in decemenber knowing millions are on the line.

Ray when was the last time Missouri had an elite pass rusher that didnt total bust.?

White, I see a whole lot of one hit wonder in him and he is likely to be drafted by the Jets.

Winston will be behind bars within 5 years. I have a bad feeling on this kid.

Mariotta can not hit the NFL window.

Man i just hate this draft. I will be surprised if more than 25 players from this draft is even on an NFL roster in 3 years.

B
2nd String
2nd String
B
I think Mariota is going to be a bust unless he is an Eagle. I agree I don't want Bradford either.

P
All Pro
All Pro
P
DGB- i'd stay completely away from

Gurley- like someone else said RB coming off ACL, doesnt usually work out well. Atleast short term. Even before the injury, I thinks he was overhyped beating up on smaller slower guys than he would see in the NFL.

Winston- Recipe for disaster jmho.

Hundley- never saw what everyone else sees in him. Had a couple good games but overall pretty lethargic career imo.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I would avoid all the drugies - Gregory, Collins (cb lsu) and DBG

I think Dupree will fall flat - I actually don't like any of the pass rushers in this draft very much even though all the pundits are saying how deep this draft is in outside pass rushers. Yes, there are a lot of them but none excite me.

I disagree on Coates. When focused he reminds me of Terrell Owens (on the field). I think that in games against lower competition teams that his mind wanders. I believe that can be corrected in the NFL.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
T
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
T
Originally Posted By: Mourgrym
Being a 2000 yard back from wisonsin is like finding a prize in a box of cracker jacks. BUST

RB coming off a knee injury taken in the first is more often than not a backup only or total bust. Gurley doesnt look good due to injury bug.

Beasley disappears for 3 quarters at a time. Bust

Gregory, cant stay clean in decemenber knowing millions are on the line.

Ray when was the last time Missouri had an elite pass rusher that didnt total bust.?

White, I see a whole lot of one hit wonder in him and he is likely to be drafted by the Jets.

Winston will be behind bars within 5 years. I have a bad feeling on this kid.

Mariotta can not hit the NFL window.

Man i just hate this draft. I will be surprised if more than 25 players from this draft is even on an NFL roster in 3 years.

I agree with many of your valid points...and I personally wouldn't take a RB until round 2 of this draft...I think RB Coleman out of Indiana is going to be better than Gurley and Gordon...I would love to somehow pick him up, however we have a ton of needs elsewhere as it stands...But perhaps when we are at #19 and no one is there for our liking I wouldn't mind us trading into later round 1 and getting a 2nd round pick in addition, I'd be tempted to snag Coleman in round 2.

Shane Ray to me seemed to get to the QB almost by design...sounds odd,but I just didn't see anything real special but has a great motor and first step, we've seen that in the NFL you need more than that to be special.

Vic Beasley seems like a dynamite pass rusher, however you can by with that in college by being small and quick (he is one who looked massive at the combine, but when seeing him play at Clemson I always thought man this kid needs to bulk up lol)

In WRs I actually rate Parker higher than White, as White has been one of those high risers whom you always question...Absolute beast at combine and had a fine season...but blew up fr nowhere in an offense that inflates his stats. Off subject, but I do really like Jaelen Strong and I've been supporting him since September. However don't let his combine 40 time fool you. I've watched a ton of his games (normally on later) and my biggest concern was his speed and is still a raw guy coming out of community college or juco I believe.

When watching Gregory, I always noticed how easily at times he was taken out of the play entirely...much like Mingo, and with his weed factor...Heck he may drop further than some imagine...I remember Christian Jones from FSU was touted as a round 2-3 guy, went undrafted from testing positive for weed despite having the highest tackling percentage of all LBs and having a nice speed size combo and other natural LB skills (and he actually was perhaps the Bears best LB at years end lol) I could see Gregory potentially falling to round 3.

Winston...not to make fun of him, but I always wondered if he was slightly slow in some regards...Those rape charges and allegations will get you out of the NFL fast..I'd hate having the first pick this year, as Winston scares me as well.

Mariota I like...I thought he was the best QB if he came out last year with Bridgewater...however he has question marks as well, and I always wondered how he'd play in a "norm" offense...and I hate the fact that Heisman QBs bust like crazy. However I think he may be the exception...And for his own good, he'd do well if Chip was able to acquire him.

D
All Pro
All Pro
D
Gurley with the injury is a huge red flag. I stay away, quality RBs can be found all over the place.

White...I have to go with Cooper as the best WR. Not sure he'll bust, but I don't see top 5 or top 10 with White.

Ray and Gregory both look Boom or Bust. If they drop far enough, its worth a risk. Can't go early.

Mariota...I think his "floor" is quite high. He's got size/frame/speed and character. Very low INT ratio. I'll admit, he might not tear the NFL up. But I just can't see him being a total flop. Worst case, he's a game manager that can run and protect the football.

Legend
Legend
Same with me,, Just say NO to Bradford. But I'm afraid that Farmer will try and outsmart everyone with that. Just scares me.

I see Winston and Mariota both busting as well as Gurley and Gregory.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Bud Dupree: Workout warrior to the extreme
Malcolm Brown: Run stuffer who doesn't stuff the run.
Eddie Goldman: won't close holes in the NFL.
Jaelen Strong: runs poor routes and isn't quick enough
Bryce Petty: Weak arm, too many adjustments.
Andrus Peat: soft, not strong enough on the field

you had a good run Hank.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Overall a pretty weak draft talent wise.

I stay away from the 2 top QBs especially Winston. Russell 2.0

I think Gurley might surprise, but I think Gordon will be a bust.

Congratulations to our 2016 NBA Champion CLEVELAND CAVALIERS!!! Greatest comeback in sports history... Hail to the King!

The great QB guru and the Moneyball group: 1-15
Record of Criminal Haslam owned Browns: 20-60 (0.250)
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
So, you peeps that say NO to Bradford, Winston and MM, are you all set for Johnny Rehab and a 35 year old journeyman QB???????????????

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I agree with you on most of your observations, but disagree on Dupree and Phillips.

Dupree's explosion off the line is special. He has to refine his technique for sure, but he has the physical capability to be a stud. I haven't heard and red flags about him as far as character, work ethic, or IQ. He definitely could bust, but from what I can gather of his leardership, drive, and desire I would put his chance of being a complete bust lower than most players. I also don't think landing on a "bad" team would affect him as much as other players. He played hard throughout his career on a Kentucky team that was always the underdog in the SEC. He'll be harder to gameplan around/avoid in the pros.

As far as Phillips, you're right he's not a sideline to sideline guy. He's not always going to seem to hustle every play, running down the field like an Ahtyba Rubin. But, if you're talking intensity firing off the snap and going those first 4-6 seconds after the snap he doesn't take many plays off. He might be my favorite run stuffer in this draft. He's great at occupying multiple blockers and rarely gives up ground. He's not a penetrator and probably won't put up big numbers, but as a 3-4 nose on running downs he's my guy. The only way I see him bust is if his back issues crop back up or he's miscast in a 4-3.

As far as busts, I'll go any of the rookie QBs that get thrown into the fire this coming season. None of them look ready to step in day one to me. The situations they are likely to step into definitely doesn't help their chances.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: tru_dawgs
Hey guys, just wanted to know of some the higher ranked players you think will bust or be severely disappointing in this years draft.

We all know years down the road like every other draft, there will be a lot of failed round 1 and 2 picks...Here's a couple that in my opinion won't amount to much

Bud Dupree LB/DE- I just don't see anything special to be considered a top 10 pick

Sammie Coats WR- Horrible hands and I think hed be more of say a Benji player versus a star.

Devin Funchess TE/WR- another iffy pass catcher, whom can't block if he is going to be a TE...if he converts to WR sadly I see more of WR Jeff Fuller in him vs say a Megatron

Jordan Phillips DT- weak motor, questionable ethic and dedication...Could be next Phil Taylor (maybe not a bust, but disappointing)

Shane Ray- doesn't show much on tape except quickness with that first step

Danielle Hunter- another one I watched and wondered why is he being mocked so high

Tori Gurley RB- Well being a beast at Georgia, I always question taking a RB in round 1 coming of ACL injury...his impact may come slower than some expect.

Andreus Peat OT- a little soft for my liking, I like the disposition much more of say someone like Daryl Williams OT Oklahoma...Peat does look much more athletic though and more of a LT vs RT

Randy Gregory- before the failed drug tests, I thought this guy was a big project at any means

Curious to hear whom you guys want us to steer away from as well...Its nearly draft day!! smile

You forgot Jameis Winston ...

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted By: SuperBrown
So, you peeps that say NO to Bradford, Winston and MM, are you all set for Johnny Rehab and a 35 year old journeyman QB???????????????

Yep. And maybe throw in if you were able to get one of the next 4 qb's, maybe let's say Manion or whomever. thumbsup fingerscrossed

Oh, don't forget Thaddeus Lewis and Connor Shaw.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
T
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
T
SuperBrown...Mariota is my favorite QB this draft class, and last draft class...I'm supportive of him and dearly wish he falla to #12 however I doubt any chance he falls past #5 overall

T
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
T
Originally Posted By: GrimmBrown
I agree with you on most of your observations, but disagree on Dupree and Phillips.

Dupree's explosion off the line is special. He has to refine his technique for sure, but he has the physical capability to be a stud. I haven't heard and red flags about him as far as character, work ethic, or IQ. He definitely could bust, but from what I can gather of his leardership, drive, and desire I would put his chance of being a complete bust lower than most players. I also don't think landing on a "bad" team would affect him as much as other players. He played hard throughout his career on a Kentucky team that was always the underdog in the SEC. He'll be harder to gameplan around/avoid in the pros.

As far as Phillips, you're right he's not a sideline to sideline guy. He's not always going to seem to hustle every play, running down the field like an Ahtyba Rubin. But, if you're talking intensity firing off the snap and going those first 4-6 seconds after the snap he doesn't take many plays off. He might be my favorite run stuffer in this draft. He's great at occupying multiple blockers and rarely gives up ground. He's not a penetrator and probably won't put up big numbers, but as a 3-4 nose on running downs he's my guy. The only way I see him bust is if his back issues crop back up or he's miscast in a 4-3.

As far as busts, I'll go any of the rookie QBs that get thrown into the fire this coming season. None of them look ready to step in day one to me. The situations they are likely to step into definitely doesn't help their chances.

Great post Grimm..Don't get me wrong I like Dupree to an extent...however I don't know how he's being mentioned as a top 10 pick? I like his explosion with hitting the ball carrier and he can get low and fire in on you, he has some great features and is in that new breed of pass rushers that have been coming strong in the past couple drafts...I know he has been a climber the past several months...I respect that as he put a lot of work in...I just thought he was more of a 2nd-3rd round guy on tape...then again I thought Jordan Matthews reminded me somewhat of Robo...Matthews went into the perfect offense for a WR and looks like a stud lol

Yeah with Phillips injury concern with his back that is something that scares me as well...when those big guys 330+ have back injuries they for some reason tend to linger more...or at least it seems...think its safe he's a boom or bust guy...however I tend to shy away from those whom have questionable motors and work ethic in college...its hard enough to make it to NFL...let alone sustain an NFL career...not saying that players haven't had success whom had the same question marks.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Dupree is up there for what he is expected to become. He is 270 lbs and runs a 4.5 and has played in 3 different schemes in his 4 years. He is one of those that scouts love a lot more than the draft experts. I said it in jan that he would be a top 10 pick when most had him as a 2nd rounder. Guys like that are just to hard to find and he is gonna get drafted if defensive coaches think they can mold him into special. He is very stout against the run, has a good first step, can drop into coverage. Now he can disappear a bit during games and has just never hit that level u expect from a top 10 pick but many scouts believe he has as much upside as any player in this draft.

E
Legend
Legend
E
I got a bad feeling about Shelton...of course half the MOCK have us taking him saywhat

One saving grace I never heard the word Lazy ever used on him...that is important so that even though he might not be who we think he is - He can work hard and might become great that way???
jmho Oh the fast WR scares the bageebaz out of me.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: eotab
I got a bad feeling about Shelton...of course half the MOCK have us taking him saywhat

One saving grace I never heard the word Lazy ever used on him...that is important so that even though he might not be who we think he is - He can work hard and might become great that way???
jmho Oh the fast WR scares the bageebaz out of me.

Two things concern me about Shelton. He's slow, which doesn't mean too much if all you want him to be is a plug, but the other thing is that he looks like a future fat guy. I have nothing against fat guys, I am one, but I don't want one anchoring my DL. And if he is already slow, he's going to get slower.

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
P
Legend
Legend
P
I think I would look at someone other than Shelton, someone like Davante Parker, Nelson Agholor, Devin Smith, Melvin Gordon, someone who can improve the offense and help us score more points ...

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Marcus Mariota.

Not necessarily because I think the kid will be bad, but I think he's going to be drafted with really high expectations. Whoever ends up with him is going to want him to start right away, and they're going to want the team to be competitive and win 6 to 8 games in his first year. Depending on where he ends up I'm not sure that's realistic coming from a read-option college quarterback that never played under center and probably never called plays in the huddle. If the team that drafts him has patience with him, and will give him three to four years to fully develop then yes he could make it. A team such as Cleveland or the New York Jets is going to expect a winner from the word go, and that probably won't be fair to Mariota.

Bud Dupree will either completely boom or completely bust. It's going to depend on the coaching staff that gets him. If he's motivated 100% of the time and get's good coaching I think he has all-pro written all over him, but if he ends up with a losing team and immediately has high expectations to make an impact, he'll probably end up completely busting.

Just my opinion.

"You can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave"
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: PastorMarc
I think I would look at someone other than Shelton, someone like Davante Parker, Nelson Agholor, Devin Smith, Melvin Gordon, someone who can improve the offense and help us score more points ...

While I certainly don't disagree with you, I'll just chime in and add that scoring points won't really mean much if we can't stop the run on defense. Have to stop the run to protect leads, force punts, ect. We do need help on offense, but we also have to be careful not to reach for players just cause we have a specific need. I would be quite disappointed to see us spend a 1st round pick on a running back. Kind of the LAST thing we need on offense in my opinion.

Legend
Legend
I think a year in the system, and just knowing what you have to do without thinking about it will help the defense greatly..

Not that I'm saying we don't need more defensive players.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
32nd against the run means you have to improve the talent you have at the position. It's a lot deeper at wide-receiver than it is at defensive line in my opinion. I think the safest way to draft is to go BPA as long as it makes sense. Don't reach for a player such as Devin Smith or Maxx Williams with the #12 pick, and certainly don't take a running back in the 1st round.

Legend
Legend
We could be sitting there with Shelton and Parker at 12..

What do you do?

Does Shelton "fix" our run defense?

Does taking Parker overcrowd the WR position to the point that it doesn't really help if you're constantly moving guys in and out?

I think the signings of Hartline and Bowe, with Hawkins in the slot, push WR down.. I'd love a guy like Agholor in the 2nd round.. He'd also fix our PR and KR problems while being able to slowly get more time at WR..

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
F
Legend
Legend
F
Originally Posted By: SuperBrown

If we are talking about trading our 2 firsts to get one of them, then yes, I am fine with what we have for this year. We have other needs to fill. They are not worth the price to overpay for the sake of continuing the search.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: ThatGuy
We could be sitting there with Shelton and Parker at 12..

What do you do?

That's an easy one for me, Shelton. The Browns were the worst against the run last year, DT MUST be improved immediately.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Shelton worries me he is slow and overweight, I would take Malcom Brown from Texas if I go DT @ #12 ...

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I like Malcolm Brown but he's a DE in our 3-4 defense. We need a true Nose Tackle and that's Danny Shelton. You don't need a Nose Tackle to be fast and athletic, you need him to be big and strong and able to eat up blockers.

I agree with you ThatGuy that the addition of Bowe and Hartline drops the need for a wide receiver down a step. I'm going defense at #12 unless Amari Cooper or Kevin White drop.

If Shelton is off the board at #12, and Brown is the best option for defensive line, than yes please take him.

Our run defense was 32nd against the run, and the defensive line was destroyed last year with injuries. It would be a massive tragedy if we don't add a defensive lineman at either #12 or #19.

Last edited by MrKelso; 04/27/15 03:33 PM.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: PastorMarc
Shelton worries me he is slow and overweight, I would take Malcom Brown from Texas if I go DT @ #12 ...

Agree on Shelton. I don't think Brown is a good fit in a 3-4.

The Browns finally have a leader in the building. It won't be long before Jim Schwartz is in charge. Thankfully.
P
Legend
Legend
P
You could be right, how about Eddie Goldman from FSU at #19?

T
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
T
With Shelton my major concern is his weight with rumors he was pushing 360 Lbs that's near Aaron Gibson weight (for anyone that remembers that massive OG whom became a huge bust because he couldn't keep his weight down) I'd sit Shelton down learn his eating habits, have him play at 325-335 max, perhaps include it in the language of the contract...I think at #12 Shelton would be the perfect plug so to speak...If we can constantly command a double team while proving some interior push here and there...then he's already our best Dlineman, because I was unimpressed with the unit as a whole last year.

Trust me I was really hoping for Parker at #12..but where would he play behind Bowe, Hartline, and Hawk? I think we need an instant starter at #12 on defense... I like Shelton, not to say he didn't seem awfully slow at the combine...hopefully that can improve while playing at a lighter trimmed weight...

My dream scenario is grabbing Shelton and somehow landing WR Parker as well...would probably require a trade up..But I'd love to groom our starting 2016 #1 WR during the 2015 year

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Busts
- Jameis Winston (yep, I think he flops)
- Danny Shelton
- Devin Funchess
- Arik Armstead
- Jeff Huermann

Booms
- Jesse James
- Kevin White
- Leonard Williams
- Dante Fowler
- Denzel Perryman
- Jake Ryan

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I initially liked Shelton for us at 12 when I started looking at the draft, but the more tape I watch of him the less impressed I am. He doesn't face as many double teams as his size-strength combo would suggest and gets handled by a single blocker often. He plays high and loses leverage way too often. He does have surprising quickness for a man his size and can beat people with it when he gets them to lunge. Looks more like a 3-4 end or 4-3 DT than a true 0-Tech to me in his play, despite his body suggesting run-stuffing Nose.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
T
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
T

Great posts by everyone! And no stupid bickering which I love lol everyone's bringing up valid points, which kudos to all...

I can't say I've ever watched Shelton for more than perhaps a half game, and he showed up a couple times...then again big heavy DTs don't get a chance to flash around as perhaps a more active position like OLB...But there's no doubt Shelton has questions too...For what its worth I think even if Shelton isn't a dominant force at worst he may just be a solid DT?
Lineman are always a little harder to project well at least for me...I thought DE Andre Branch was going to be pretty good...hadn't done much in Jacksonville but I think the end of the 2013 season he put up 6 sacks in the last 7 games...unfortunately injury bugs...

I'm a big fan of WR Devante Parker, reminds me of Michael Crabtree with a jet pack on...Just silky smooth with some incredible hands.

For all my OSU Buckeye fans (and I know we have a ton of them on this board) What are your thoughts on WR Devin Smith and his ability to beat the press in the NFL? Not dogging him, but corners gave up a ton of cushion on him because of his speed...With the NFL being a place where everyone is blessed with speed...Is Devin Smith more or less a one trick pony that is going to take awhile to even make an impact?

I'm not a big collegiate fan...But do watch as many different games that I can; for merely fun NFL scouting and to project careers...which is a blurred path at best lol

DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2015 NFL Season The NFL Draft 2015 Suspected busts from the 2015 draft

Link Copied to Clipboard