Legend
C
Discuss.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Solid Pick thumbsup

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
Legend
Legend
Probably not who I would of taken, but we could arguably have the best Offensive line in the league now.

C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
I am not a fan of the pick. We used a first round pick on a guy that might not play for us for a year.

L
Legend
Legend
L
he was a project who was projected as a 2nd round pick...very dumb pick and a case of farmer trying to get too cute....had your choice of 2 solid WR sitting right there

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
1st String
1st String
Well.....he did play OG at one point but excelled at and was most comfortable at C. Head scratcher to me especially with Clemmings and Humphries still on the board. Our 1st round boner play again.

Never have hope. You won’t be disappointed.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
No, Eving was not projected as a second rounder.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

B
All Pro
All Pro
B
Me neither!!!! No assurance we lose Mack and now he's certainly leaving. Any chance he can play a guard position in the first year?

[Linked Image from thumb0.webshots.net]
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: ExclDawg
Probably not who I would of taken, but we could arguably have the best Offensive line in the league now.

With 3 first rounders, 2 seconds, and a 3rd rounder as our top 3 picks, (and 2 high 2nd round picks at that) we better.

Thomas: 3rd overall
Mack: 21st overall
Ervin: 22 overall
Schwartz: 37 overall
Bitonio: 35 overall
Greco: 3rd round pick of the Rams, acquired by trade.

I wonder if any team has invested as much in their OL?

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Not a fan of picking a guy who isn't great at any position at 19. I wouldn't have drafted him at 43 much less 19. Hope I'm wrong.

Against logic,the most effective armor is willful ignorance.
S
Legend
Legend
S
I don't think drafting for depth is wise in the first round. You basicaly passed on Sammy Watkins to draft for depth.

I'll believe that this guy can line up on the right side of the line when I see it.

Maybe they just weren't that impressed with anyone else in the top of their board, especially with 2 or 3 guys that have character flags?

C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan

With 3 first rounders, 2 seconds, and a 3rd rounder as our top 3 picks, (and 2 high 2nd round picks at that) we better.

Maybe we will go with a six man line?

L
Legend
Legend
L
Originally Posted By: ChargerDawg

He most certainly was

Overview

Came to Florida State as an unheralded defensive tackle from Colquitt County (Ga.) and redshirted in 2010 after a back injury. In 2011, had 20 tackles and a sack as a backup defensive tackle. Switched to the offensive side of the ball to help shore up Seminoles' pass protection in 2012 and started all 14 games at left tackle, protecting future first-round QB EJ Manuel's blind side. In 2013, started all 13 games at left tackle and was named first-team All-ACC for the national champion Seminoles. Two-time winner of the Jacobs Blocking Trophy given to the ACC's top blocker. Named first-team All-ACC tackle and third-team All-ACC center after making switch inside toward the end of the 2014 season. Was very close with grandmother (Lillie Lewis), who passed away in the spring of 2014 after one-year battle with pancreatic cancer.
Analysis
Strengths Keeps busy and works to secure blocks in run game. Good foot quickness into pass set. Consistently in ready position with good hand readiness in pass sets. Uses good hand placement and has natural timing with hands. Converted defensive tackle who will continue to improve in the NFL with more experience at center. Displays good snap-to-step quickness. Uses quickness to attack defender and begin his grind much earlier than when he played tackle. Competes and is a willing learner. Can get to second level and make cut-off blocks. Has athleticism to pull and offers versatility along the line.
Weaknesses High-cut with tapered lower body, lacking power in legs. Pops straight up in pass rush. Susceptible to bull rush. Had issues handling the edge speed of Clemson's Vic Beasley in 2014 and his days of playing tackle are likely over. Relies on lean rather than hip thrust to generate power. Taught to absorb and control as a pass protector and needs to establish more pop in punch.
Draft Projection Round 2
Sources Tell Us "He plays tough, but I wouldn't call him an intimidator out there. He's a work in progress, but he's going to keep getting better as he learns how to play center." -- ACC defensive line coach
NFL Comparison Eric Wood
Bottom Line Former defensive lineman who is still learning the nuances of offensive-line play after just two seasons as a starter. Has the length and foot quickness to play tackle, but film work shows that he will have a much more successful career at center. Possesses skill set and temperament to show rapid development. Could be a Day 1 starter, but a year of seasoning would help.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/cameron-erving?id=2552240

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
Legend
Legend
It doesn't make sense to address OL depth in the first round. If we're looking for a center to replace Mack, then draft a center, not a jack of all trades/master of none. We spent a first round pick to plug a hole if a starter goes down. Even if he beats out Schwartz or Grecco, was it worth that high of a price?

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
V
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
V
I've seen Erving anywhere from the mid first to mid second. I don't think Farmer is trying to be "cute", this is a solid pick. Maybe not the direction I would have went but that's why he gets paid the big bucks.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
We picked a center who's built like a tackle. I think I see the logic. I feel like this Petine's draft. I totally get it.

"Team Chemistry No Match for Team Biology" (Onion Sports Headline)
L
Legend
Legend
L
I would have taken one of the De's at minimum, or traded down if you didn't like the wr's that were up there.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
i don't understand the pick. Dupree was right there

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Broncos traded up.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
He's what Mike Aviles is to the Indians.

He can play every spot at below AVG

Farmer tried to go save and still crapped the bed

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
Legend
Legend
We could have traded down and still got him.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
I was watching on ESPN and found it funny how one of the guys on the panel was questioning this pick. He's like, hey, they have a pro bowl center (paraphrasing)

Smart guy, didn't catch that this is a solid guard that switches to Center if Mack goes down or leaves next off season.

I like this pick as well.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: jfanent

Trading down is not always an option.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: leadtheway
Originally Posted By: ChargerDawg

He most certainly was

Overview

Came to Florida State as an unheralded defensive tackle from Colquitt County (Ga.) and redshirted in 2010 after a back injury. In 2011, had 20 tackles and a sack as a backup defensive tackle. Switched to the offensive side of the ball to help shore up Seminoles' pass protection in 2012 and started all 14 games at left tackle, protecting future first-round QB EJ Manuel's blind side. In 2013, started all 13 games at left tackle and was named first-team All-ACC for the national champion Seminoles. Two-time winner of the Jacobs Blocking Trophy given to the ACC's top blocker. Named first-team All-ACC tackle and third-team All-ACC center after making switch inside toward the end of the 2014 season. Was very close with grandmother (Lillie Lewis), who passed away in the spring of 2014 after one-year battle with pancreatic cancer.
Analysis
Strengths Keeps busy and works to secure blocks in run game. Good foot quickness into pass set. Consistently in ready position with good hand readiness in pass sets. Uses good hand placement and has natural timing with hands. Converted defensive tackle who will continue to improve in the NFL with more experience at center. Displays good snap-to-step quickness. Uses quickness to attack defender and begin his grind much earlier than when he played tackle. Competes and is a willing learner. Can get to second level and make cut-off blocks. Has athleticism to pull and offers versatility along the line.
Weaknesses High-cut with tapered lower body, lacking power in legs. Pops straight up in pass rush. Susceptible to bull rush. Had issues handling the edge speed of Clemson's Vic Beasley in 2014 and his days of playing tackle are likely over. Relies on lean rather than hip thrust to generate power. Taught to absorb and control as a pass protector and needs to establish more pop in punch.
Draft Projection Round 2
Sources Tell Us "He plays tough, but I wouldn't call him an intimidator out there. He's a work in progress, but he's going to keep getting better as he learns how to play center." -- ACC defensive line coach
NFL Comparison Eric Wood
Bottom Line Former defensive lineman who is still learning the nuances of offensive-line play after just two seasons as a starter. Has the length and foot quickness to play tackle, but film work shows that he will have a much more successful career at center. Possesses skill set and temperament to show rapid development. Could be a Day 1 starter, but a year of seasoning would help.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/cameron-erving?id=2552240

Most relevant Mock drafts I've seen had him as a top 20 pick.

[Linked Image from mypsn.eu.playstation.com]
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: cfrs15

Do you remember the early part of the last decade when we simply could not get it together on OL year after year after year. And really, it was the single biggest reason for our futility during that time IMO. Drafting early and often on the lines is never going to upset me. We can still get a great reciever in this draft in round 2.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

even thought Denver was trading up?

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Damanshot
I was watching on ESPN and found it funny how one of the guys on the panel was questioning this pick. He's like, hey, they have a pro bowl center (paraphrasing)

Smart guy, didn't catch that this is a solid guard that switches to Center if Mack goes down or leaves next off season.

Great, he's a solid Guard. We already have 2 very good Guards though. The only way this makes a lick of sense is if he can play RT better than Schwartz immediately.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

V
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
V
There will be a good WR at 43 if that's where we want to go. I might have went WR at 19 but I understand waiting don't necessarily agree but I get the line of thinking.

C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: superbowldogg

even thought Denver was trading up?

They probably thought the Cardinals were going to take Ray.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker

Doesn't seem to be a trading draft. Seems everyone's pretty much playing the cards they have. I can't remember a less active draft. For our sake, I'm happy for it.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker

Great, he's a solid Guard. We already have 2 very good Guards though. The only way this makes a lick of sense is if he can play RT better than Schwartz immediately.

Or they may know for a fact that Mack is gone after this year and they had a potential pro bowl center who also adds depth at guard and tackle available to them.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: 10YrOvernightSuccess

Do you remember the early part of the last decade when we simply could not get it together on OL year after year after year. And really, it was the single biggest reason for our futility during that time IMO. Drafting early and often on the lines is never going to upset me. We can still get a great reciever in this draft in round 2.

Unfortunately our GM doesn't put a lot of weight on WR position and he references Seattle and NE as examples of teams that don't draft WR's high.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Or they may know for a fact that Mack is gone after this year and they had a potential pro bowl center who also adds depth at guard and tackle available to them.

no one knows for a fact... I bet mack doesn't even know. He just wanted the option

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
You can easily find the same profile in round 4. Horrible selection.

since the idiots overdrafted Shelton, it negated Malcolm Brown at 19. That's what idiots do, over....draft

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
Legend
Legend

Son what does he do for us this year? (Other than help ensure that we might be able to get the 1st overall pick next year) crazy

You don't draft a guy because a player "might" leave next year, when your team lacks playmakers and difference makers. You don't draft a guy to be a backup, or to bump a quality starter to backup when you have gaping holes among your playmakers.

This team needs players who make a real difference when they are on the field, but a backup/depth player, at lkeats not with their 1st round pick.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Son what does he do for us this year? (Other than help ensure that we might be able to get the 1st overall pick next year) crazy

You don't draft a guy because a player "might" leave next year, when your team lacks playmakers and difference makers. You don't draft a guy to be a backup, or to bump a quality starter to backup when you have gaping holes among your playmakers.

This team needs players who make a real difference when they are on the field, but a backup/depth player, at lkeats not with their 1st round pick.

He plays Right Tackle this year. Schwartz plays on roller skates.

Last edited by FreeAgent; 04/30/15 10:42 PM.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
So who sits? Greco or Bitonio? One of them is the odd man out. Or do we yet again sit a first round pick all season?

#BlackLivesMatter #StopAsianHate
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Spiritbro77
So who sits? Greco or Bitonio? One of them is the odd man out. Or do we yet again sit a first round pick all season?

Therein lies the problem. . .

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Spiritbro77

Mitchel Rollerskates Schwartz sits

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: leadtheway
I would have taken one of the De's at minimum, or traded down if you didn't like the wr's that were up there.

Ah, but a DE might have touched an opposing QB. Can't have that on the Browns. 31 sacks last year and they are shooting for the teens this season.

Farmer will NEVER draft a WR in the first. Hell, I'd be shocked if he ever takes one in the 2nd. It would NOT surprise me if he doesn't take one at all this year. He might, but if he doesn't it wouldn't shock me. He does NOT like the position.

#BlackLivesMatter #StopAsianHate
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2015 NFL Season The NFL Draft 2015 Browns draft Cameron Erving with the 19th pick.

Link Copied to Clipboard