Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: clevesteve
I would have drafted Parker at 12. I would have drafted Malcom Brown at 19...

Post of the draft.

J
All Pro
All Pro
J
awesome post draft them earthmovers.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: 1oldMutt
If the Browns had drafted this way in 99, building the trenches first, I'd be willing to bet this organizations current history may have been different.

What? You don't think drafting guys like Paul Zukauskas in the 7th round is a sound strategy?

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: archbolddawg
Originally Posted By: PerfectSpiral
I look at Irvng as he only compliment to JT we have.

Who? What?

If your talking about our #19 draft pick, it's "Erving". (understandable mistake, as even the Browns screwed it up. Google it)

But, assuming you meant Erving - as the only compliment to Thomas that we have......I guess I need more info from you on what you mean.

Oops ...LOL

Simply "Erving". Is the only other lineman we have now that will truly compliment JT as a RT. We wouldn't have taken a llineman in the first round for any other reason. So a bonus in his versatility to plug and play anywhere up front including center. Depth and starting caliber with one pick. Pretty good call by the FO IMO. I still believe we need one more olineman out of this draft.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
E
Legend
Legend
E
ai think that when you have a poor QB situation, then you need even better talent at the other offensive skill positions

Ytown won't go into depth about it cause not the right thread. But sadly not in the NFL. You can do that in just about every level of football and it will make the QB better...up until the NFL it doesn't work there.

You can possibly hide a bad to mediocre QB with THE BEST DEFENSE and a Good running game. But you can draft WRs out of the kazoo it won't help the situation.
jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
E
Legend
Legend
E
Yes Halfback...Erving was the only top 50 worthy Center in the bunch. But unless Mack advised us that this was his last season already then I saw no reason to make that move now unless the projections next year are worse.

I think we liked him for not only center and we will see. I think they will give him every opportunity to beat out Schwartz.

Sure he got beat like a Drum in his one on one with Beasley. I thought Beasley was one of THREE Special players in this draft, Leonard Williams and Scherff the other two.
So that probably put him down a notch to a pretty poor Left Tackle class (Why Flowers (Giants) went so early he was the best LT prospect) I know the report all have read states leans but I saw good footwork and he is quick/fast.

But I think the guy leaving next season will be Schwartz and Mack stays.

Greco as long as we stay in our ZBS which we are...he has proven his worth I saw Scherff as an upgrade in the draft and that was it!

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
S
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
S
Yeah, I think the only scenario where Mack isn't a Brown is because Mack doesn't want to be a Brown. The FO won't let Mack walk because of money, I think we already proved that by giving him the biggest contract for his position.

I also think that it was a round or two too early to take depth at the OL but when you really think about it and put it into perspective, offensive linemen with Erving's versatility ALWAYS end up being major contributors to their teams for a long time. It was what we lacked BIG TIME last year because even though our starting line was one of the best in the NFL, as soon as one person goes down, the season goes down with it. We've seen it year in and year out. As soon as Mack went down, our punishing rushing attack went out the window and so did the rest of our season.

Whether or not he ends up becoming a pro bowler is yet to be seen, but if he can become an above average versatile lineman that you can plug into basically any spot (except LT unless we HAVE to), this will end up being a good pick when all is said and done. JT will hold down the fort at LT for as long as he can and when he's done, we'll likely already have one drafted in preparation or we'll draft the one in the 1st round that year.

JMHO
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:
You can possibly hide a bad to mediocre QB with THE BEST DEFENSE and a Good running game. But you can draft WRs out of the kazoo it won't help the situation.
jmho

I'm very happy with the draft.

But...... In 2007 or 2008 or whatever, DA was propped up by Winslow, Edwards, Jurevicious, Steve Heiden and company.

The O-Line and Jamal Lewis played very well. But KW2 and Edwards bailed DA time and time again

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I can remember the reaction when we took Mack at 21 ..in "09".. What he brings to the field on game day is exceptional and well worth the pick.

Looking at the QB situation, it would seem that having a strong run game would benefit this team in many ways. Many of us know the game is won in the trenches...

Thou it might look like one play maker .. be it a RB..TE..WR...or QB is the reason games are won or lost... I believe it's the guys on the line opening holes and protecting the QB that allows someone to excel in the play maker role..

Until we land that QB we all desperately hope for.. I feel this was the best way to go...

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: DeisleDawg
I can remember the reaction when we took Mack at 21 ..in "09".. What he brings to the field on game day is exceptional and well worth the pick.

Looking at the QB situation, it would seem that having a strong run game would benefit this team in many ways. Many of us know the game is won in the trenches...

Thou it might look like one play maker .. be it a RB..TE..WR...or QB is the reason games are won or lost... I believe it's the guys on the line opening holes and protecting the QB that allows someone to excel in the play maker role..

Until we land that QB we all desperately hope for.. I feel this was the best way to go...

You sound like you know what you're talking about. You must sit with some really smart football people.

I love the draft thus far. Now we just need to draft Davis Tull in round 4. That guy is going to be a stud pro.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
D
All Pro
All Pro
D
Originally Posted By: SuperBrown
I would have drafted Parker at 12. I would have drafted Malcom Brown at 19...

Post of the draft.

Yeah those were my picks, too...we'll see how it plays out...but i'm also happy with who we got.

[Linked Image from dcptest.com]
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: eotab
ai think that when you have a poor QB situation, then you need even better talent at the other offensive skill positions

Ytown won't go into depth about it cause not the right thread. But sadly not in the NFL. You can do that in just about every level of football and it will make the QB better...up until the NFL it doesn't work there.

jmho

I agree to an extent, yet disagree strongly.

Yes, a great WR will not turn a bad QB into a good one. I agree with that. However, can a great WR improve an offense that is challenged by having a less than ideal QB? Absolutely.

A WR who demands double coverage takes defensive help away from other positions. He can also flip field position a time or 3 per game, which is vitally important when you are going to play offense in careful 5-10 yard chunks, and are going to play field position/run/defense.

I am not saying that I want a WR who we will throw to 12 times/game as a means of turning our passing game into a top 10 attack. What I am saying is that a weapon at WR forces the defense to account for him on every play, and also allows for the QB to hit him when he gets wide open.

We need players who can help get those occasional big chunks of yardage, because we aren't going to do it on an every down basis. I do like that we added Duke, because I think that he is a guy who can get chunks ..... but really the only guy we have at WR who had proved capable of doing so is Gabriel, and he is probably not going to start on the outside.

I am not so much saying we need a WR to "hide" a QB, but rather that the offense needs players capable of flipping the field, and scoring from anywhere, so that our grind it out offensive system can succeed.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
D
All Pro
All Pro
D
Yeah, especially a team like our's that is always facing 8 defenders in the box and still trying to run uphill. It doesn't just help the QB it helps the OLine and RB. Removing 1 blitzer or 1 run stopper can make a big difference. You need to punish the defense when they cheat.

A good WR shreds that and finds open space, big windows. Bigger windows are essential for bad-mediocre QBs.

For a QB that struggles to hit a target or find the open man: catch radius, route accuracy, timing and hands are crucial.

And of course, there's that scoring points thing. There's only 6 guys (including QB) that can score. It serves a team well to put guys that increase the shot of scoring (catch vs drop, tackled vs broken tackle, sprint for 6 vs caught at the 20).

Legend
Legend
Guarantee there will still be some fans wanting us to draft offensive linemen next year.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: eotab

jmho

You can only hide poor QB play for so long. That's what separates a team like Seattle from Kansas City.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: candyman92
Guarantee there will still be some fans wanting us to draft offensive linemen next year.

I'll most likely be in the group. Not sure if it'll be in the early rounds, but you always needs depth in the trenches.

Sign me up.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie

I'll most likely be in the group. Not sure if it'll be in the early rounds, but you always needs depth in the trenches.

Sign me up.

In the next couple of drafts, this regime needs to prioritize skill position players on offense.

C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C

Sign me up.

In the next couple of drafts, this regime needs to prioritize skill position players on offense.

I'll be happy if they just keep drafting the guys who they think are the best players.

Legend
Legend

Sign me up.

To me, adding more talent to the lines is always a good thing. Meaning, even if you think you're set, you can always get better. And if both lines are that strong, the guys touching the ball on offense and defending the pass will be that much better.

And once we find a QB, he'll just walk into an offense that can run and protect him.

But yes, I'm okay with taking a WR/TE in the top of the draft, but I'd still probably want more bodies for the Front-7.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Punchsmack

Sign me up.

To me, adding more talent to the lines is always a good thing. Meaning, even if you think you're set, you can always get better. And if both lines are that strong, the guys touching the ball on offense and defending the pass will be that much better.

And once we find a QB, he'll just walk into an offense that can run and protect him.

But yes, I'm okay with taking a WR/TE in the top of the draft, but I'd still probably want more bodies for the Front-7.

It's never a good thing to heavily invest in 1 unit and ignore others, that includes offensive line. However, every position doesn't matter if you have bad QB play.

W
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
W
I'm of the opinion that the team figures we don't have a QB (and couldn't get one in this draft that was better then what we had after not being able to land Mariotta) and so why invest in too much in WRs who are going to lose confidence, interest, and not really develop much with crappy QBs

I'm coming home, I'm coming home, tell the world I'm coming home
Legend
Legend
Just posting that Grimm nailed our 1st two in mid-January.

https://www.dawgtalkers.net/ubbthreads.ph...ects#Post917822

R
Legend
Legend
R
That looks like guard.

Legend
Legend
Just posting that Grimm nailed our 1st two in mid-January.

https://www.dawgtalkers.net/ubbthreads.ph...ects#Post917822

Whoa, that's incredible! laugh

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Rishuz
That looks like guard.

Rishuz is right. I put out a few mocks, but that's not one of mine.

But, nice to know I've got you thinking about me in a positive light, steve.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
So Grimm is that homeless guy.

Anyway I am not impressed., he missed on all the others...( I want to put this in purple, but I cant on my home computer for some reason) smile

That is excellent Grimm.

#gmstrong

A smart person knows what to say.

A wise person knows whether or not to say it.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: texaslostdawg
So Grimm is that homeless guy.

rofl

Legend
Legend
This is one of his first games at Center. He got much better but I don't see cut ups of those later games. Was amazing v Ga Tech

Still at LT in these ones...

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
The Cleveland Browns on Friday signed first-round pick offensive lineman Cameron Erving. General Manager Ray Farmer made the announcement.

Erving, who was selected with the 19th overall pick in the 2015 NFL Draft, joins fellow first-round pick defensive lineman Danny Shelton and six of the Browns' other draft picks who have signed their contracts.

Cameron Erving – OL | 6-5, 313 | Florida State

1st round (No. 19 overall)

Played in 55 career games at Florida State…Two-time winner of the Jacobs Blocking Trophy given to ACC’s top blocker as voted by the conference head coaches and defensive coordinators…Recruited to Florida State as a defensive lineman, converting to offensive line as a sophomore after playing in all 13 games his redshirt freshman season as a defensive tackle…Moved from left tackle to center halfway through his senior year and earned all-conference recognition at both positions along the offensive line…Attended Colquitt County High School in Moultrie, Ga.

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/arti...29-26fe46f9f7b7

The Cleveland Browns - WE KNOW QUARTERBACKS ( Look at how many we've had ... )
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2015 NFL Season The NFL Draft 2015 Browns draft Cameron Erving with the 19th pick.

Link Copied to Clipboard