Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: Dawg_LB
Originally Posted By: GrimmBrown
As long as kava isn't on the NFL's banned substance list I think we're good. Could be our Casey Hampton.

FYI, that kava comment made me laugh! Heck, that outfit he was wearing could be illegal hahahaha! It's weird seeing a 340 pounder in a dress ordeal haha.

Have you ever been to Hawaii or other south Pacific islands?
I find the comments on the board about Shelton wearing his native clothing, a sarong, not a 'dress', kinda...small town thinking. It's a big world folks. Not everyone in the world wears cargo shorts.
I thought he looked great. A proud Hawaiian. I hope he plays fierce like a Maori warrior.

[Linked Image]
E
Legend
Legend
E
My only fear right now is teams will go NO Huddle and spread it out to 4 WRs with X, Z WR + TE + Pass Catching RB. Getting him quickly off the field I don't think is a possibility. Other than that he will be good.
jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: PortlandDawg
Originally Posted By: Dawg_LB
Originally Posted By: GrimmBrown
As long as kava isn't on the NFL's banned substance list I think we're good. Could be our Casey Hampton.

FYI, that kava comment made me laugh! Heck, that outfit he was wearing could be illegal hahahaha! It's weird seeing a 340 pounder in a dress ordeal haha.

Have you ever been to Hawaii or other south Pacific islands?
I find the comments on the board about Shelton wearing his native clothing, a sarong, not a 'dress', kinda...small town thinking. It's a big world folks. Not everyone in the world wears cargo shorts.
I thought he looked great. A proud Hawaiian. I hope he plays fierce like a Maori warrior.

No, never been there.

I was really just making a goof, I meant no real harm by the comment. If he pancakes people, takes on double teams, stays within the weight range of the staffs request and here and there lands all his 300lbs on a Qb after sacking em' - he could wear thongs here in Cleveland and Noone would care.

Well, maybe the thong comment was a stretch, haha thumbsup

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: eotab
My only fear right now is teams will go NO Huddle and spread it out to 4 WRs with X, Z WR + TE + Pass Catching RB. Getting him quickly off the field I don't think is a possibility. Other than that he will be good.
jmho

This would be FANTASTIC... because then we would have completely shut down the run, and they are now one-dimensional. They are reacting to us rather than dictating.

As long as our big investments in the secondary live up to things, this simply plays into our hands. It sets us up for LOTS of turnovers.

If we can get a couple of OLB's who can run and cover the flats, this defense will be deadly.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

D
All Pro
All Pro
D
It was a pretty obvious pick when we got on the clock.

I'm glad we didn't make a move to go up and get him. I figured he was falling to us, wasn't sure if Farmer would wait for it or not.

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
I know Shelton even admitted to playing around 370 lbs in college...But in the language of his contract, have him somewhere around 325-330...Should help his quickness and endurance even further being more conditioned...Shoot even when he was 370lbs still looked a lot more stronger and quicker than Phil Taylor

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
EO, I did a play by play take, something none of you in here even bothered discussing, neither did you talking in broad assessments of his play. I've said my part and proved it. You want to disprove it? Go watch the same plays and tell me and all others with a straight face that he wasn't owned and played good on those plays, go ahead. Believe what you want, his plays are there for everyone to see

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
E
Legend
Legend
E
Sorry I stated I watched the play by play up to early 2nd qtr. I stated what I saw (not play by play) but not general except for what I saw nothing from opinion not on the tape you provided. I didn't see this consistently being shoved back one on one that you stated.

I saw one bad play and it was with him paying 3 tech. Not a normal NT look.

I saw a team game plan AGAINST HIM.

I don't have the time to mark the time and crap like that...I have no ego to pretend I'm actually a GM. I can probably assess more players in 1 qtr than you in 10 games.

Get over it. Maybe not the best pick...time will tell but there is little bust in him a very safe pick in the trenches.

Sorry but I don't have much more to say. Except what I stated prior about the tape was from the TAPE you provided and it actually made me feel better about the pick not worse.

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I have no ego to pretend I'm actually a GM. I can probably assess more players in 1 qtr than you in 10 games.

Anyone else thought that was funny? tongue

#gmstrong

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
When he loses the leverage battle, he can get moved. When he wins it, he's a pocket collapser. I see that as something that's relatively easy to correct, especially with his build.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I was actually serious about the kava. I've read that he drinks a lot of it. He's big on his heritage (as you saw in his outfit) and it's used in many of their "ceremonies". It's kind of like Japanese tea drinking. If it is allowed by the NFL, maybe he can get Gordon turned onto it instead of pot.

I've been all over the Pacific, and I thought his get up was actually pretty cool. I'd rather see that than Fowler's shoes that made me think he should be clicking his heels together and repeating "there's no place like home." I'm not worried about Shelton being one of those guys who is in it for the money/swag.

Fiercely Independent.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Brown to the Bone
I liked the pick but the dude needs to lose the dress......lol naughtydevil

\
If you can walk the streets of Chicago in that outfit, you are one tough, tough man. wink

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
From Adam Schein at NFL.com:

9) Cleveland rocks!

The Browns didn't do anything wacky.

They didn't trade up. They didn't trade down. They didn't opt to go with 10 men on the field or announce they will start selling lemonade instead of playing fourth quarters of games.

Instead, Cleveland -- yes Cleveland -- got it right.

Danny Shelton is a perfect defensive tackle for Mike Pettine. Offensive lineman Cameron Erving won't have the sports world buzzing like Johnny Manziel did a year ago. Instead, he's the kind of draftee who just makes sense.

Under the radar and smart?

I'm guessing that's exactly how Pettine actually likes it.

What a concept!

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: DjangoBrown
How about we watch some, hmm?

http://draftbreakdown.com/video/danny-shelton-vs-oregon-2014/

I like his tenacity, but he wins a lot on (second) effort and not much at the point. While that's very nice to see and better than being a lazy player, it doesn't translate to the NFL because he'll face more players with the same high effort. Proof for that is that almost half his TFL and sack stats came against Eastern Washington, Georgia State and Hawaii. His numbers take a notable dive vs better, closer to NFL talent, PAC12 competition...and not only his numbers:

Watch the untouched, up the gut TD at 1:50min, he gets EASILY blocked away 1on1 at the line, opening a big hole for the TD. While others behind him didn't do their job either, the TD run began right there with him. This guy is going to hold up our middle in a 3-4....long way to go folks.

Next critical play at 2:35 on 3rd and 1, that's way too easy, sorry.

At 3min: RB runs right by him up the gut. Doesn't even get a hand on him to slow him down. Same thing the very next play. While he doesn't give up ground this time, he still doesn't do his job, which is to fill the gap and slow the runner. The RB runs just by him again for an easy 13yds...and he makes it 3 in a row, next play, he loses balance and falls to the ground, easily blocked. He's either exhausted or just not very good, another 12yds on 1st down right up the middle, running right at him

He follows that up with some much better plays inside the 10, after failing twice to run through the middle, Oregon gooes outside for a TD. He needs more of those plays.

Next series, he starts off good on 1st and 2nd down, then fails on 3rd and 5. The runner gets a 1st running right over LG, big hole, 1st down.

Next play another easy 1st down run up the gut, right past him...again

That's half the game now and I've already seen way too many plays where he gets owned....and that's mostly 1on1 mind you.

Play 1: He holds his position on the line, and the play goes outside to the opposite side.

Play 2: Rushed the passer without much effect.

Play 3: Sack

Play 4: Play went offensive right action, and bootlegged back to their left.

Play 5: Bursts through the OL and hurries Mariota into an incompletion.

Play 6: Out of the play.

Play 7: Pressured Mariota.

Play 8: Double teamed and held, and still makes the play on the run play.

Play 9: LOL Chases Mariota and knew he wasn't going to get there, so he kind of threw himself at the ground ... I don't know if he thought he would fly, or what. rofl

Play 10: Lined up outside for some reason. Blocked out of play, single blocked. Ugly play. He was lined up defensive right, and the play burst right up the middle.

Play 11: Not sure where he is.

Play 12: Not sure where he is.

Play 13: Outside pitch play to the offensive right. Nowhere near Shelton.

Play 14: Effectively blocked.

Play 15: Pass situation, no chance to do anything on a quick throw.

I'm going to stop there. I like a lot of what I have seen to this point. He has had a couple of plays he lost, like all players do. I will also say that many of his teammates look like they have never played the game before. Wow. I see guys getting blown off the line, blocked into other guys on the defense, ad unable to tackle.

Looking at Shelton, I hope that we mold his body so that he is stronger in addition to being big. He has surprising quickness for as big as he is. I think that he is going to really help our run defense, and he may even be a nice pass rush piece.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
E
Legend
Legend
E
I have no ego to pretend I'm actually a GM. I can probably assess more players in 1 qtr than you in 10 games.

Anyone else thought that was funny? tongue

By the way I already apologized for that reference on the Erving thread.

Btw I have no fantasies of being a GM I do think I know football that is true. I'm always learning and still coaching. I know ego is thrown at me but come on nothing really in comparison. and I've been very good lately biting my lips and tongue a lot... lol laugh

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

All Pro
All Pro
I will say this, as I had him at #14 or 15 it's not a reach though not a great value either. His strength and Motor are pluses. My biggest concern is probably conditioning; after his first 2 games (Hawaii and Eastern Washington), Shelton had 24 tackles and 6 sacks. Those are monster numbers for a zero tech obviously, but with the exception of the Georgia State game (13 tackles, 1 sack), he had just as many games where he looked like a late first as he did a mid-first prospect.

He is not Haloti Ngata or Vince Wilfork, but he is (or should be) a reliable starter and will eat up a lot of double teams.

People ask me what I do in spring when there's no football. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for fall
P
Legend
Legend
P
He is not Haloti Ngata or Vince Wilfork, but he is (or should be) a reliable starter and will eat up a lot of double teams.

[/quote]

How do you know this until you see him on Sunday afternoons ? You don't it is merely your opinion as mine is that he will be better than both ...

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
P
Legend
Legend
P
I have to agree with you Tab. I like the pick very much!

This draft wasn't top heavy with elite talent. I think many will be disappointed in the WR's in this draft class after the top 2 and Jalen Strong who is still on the board. (just a hunch there)

I believe too many lose track of the film of a player and how they actually play the game when the combines and pro days happen. They get swayed by the numbers, the 40 times and what a guy does in shorts.

I don't really care about DJ's assessment. I saw the tape too and believe his concerns are very overblown. With the defensive coaching staff we have and this kids talent, the sky is the limit.

While it will probably surprise many, I'm pretty happy with both of our first round picks.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
j/c

I think Shelton was a great pick when you look at the whole picture.

Browns now have a myriad of choices when it comes to fronts.

1. You can play a 2-5 with Taylor and Shelton
2. Run a normal 3-4 front with Starks/Taylor/Bryant
3. Run 3-4 package Huges/Shelton/Starks
4. Blitz 3-4 package Winn/Shelton/A. Bryant
5. Normal 4-3 Starks/Shelton/Taylor/Bryant
6. Run 4-3 Starks/Shelton/Taylor/Huges
7. Blitz 4-3 Winn/Shelton/Taylor/A. Bryant
8. Short Yardage 5 man Huges/Kitchen/Taylor/Shelton/Starks

Try being a OC preparing each week against.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I've been very good lately biting my lips and tongue a lot... lol laugh[/color]

Yes indeed you have. And I may say that there has certainly been a lot of provocation. Good job, eo... thumbsup

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
I'm not ready to say what Shelton can't be. Because with the right about of improvements to his game and diet, he can be a superstar like DT.

you had a good run Hank.
E
Legend
Legend
E
As the draft went n teams didn't take Leonard Williams - I did want us to move up and get him. I think he was special. The other special player I thought well two of them.

I thought Beasley was special
The other was Scherff...no way I thought an OG would go that early. I did state Scherff @12 and then Clemmings at 19 (after the Collins thing) Trade Schwartz to OL Starved Redskins for their 2nd round pick....But they went and took Scherff

Outside of that I didn't really think anyone was "SPECIAL"

Edge Rushers are hit or miss, WRs are hit or miss, So I don't mind Solid Grunts LOS type of guys. This kid Shelton can have a great upside. But he has to get serious with his body...he is freaking Country strong. Just ask Goodell wink

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I was not a big Shelton fan, his tape...man I must be missing something. Mike Mayock was saying how he plays with great leverage yet here I sit watching this Hawaii game and he is not getting off one on one blocks, guys getting under him. I dunno, I don't see it. I: have to be missing something.

He seems to actually be better when he is double teamed at coming off blocks.

With that said, he is strong, he does have good instincts. We'll see.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
How about we watch some, hmm?

http://draftbreakdown.com/video/danny-shelton-vs-oregon-2014/

I like his tenacity, but he wins a lot on (second) effort and not much at the point. While that's very nice to see and better than being a lazy player, it doesn't translate to the NFL because he'll face more players with the same high effort. Proof for that is that almost half his TFL and sack stats came against Eastern Washington, Georgia State and Hawaii. His numbers take a notable dive vs better, closer to NFL talent, PAC12 competition...and not only his numbers:

Watch the untouched, up the gut TD at 1:50min, he gets EASILY blocked away 1on1 at the line, opening a big hole for the TD. While others behind him didn't do their job either, the TD run began right there with him. This guy is going to hold up our middle in a 3-4....long way to go folks. It was 3 and 8 and Washington was playing the pass so they only had 2 down linemen, with Shelton lined up over the LG/LT gap, the Oregon OC went straight up field and blocked the MLB and the RB followed him so there was no way Shelton could make that play.

Next critical play at 2:35 on 3rd and 1, that's way too easy, sorry.Oregon caught Washington in a run blitz by the MLB and the Oregon OC and LG did a stunt and the OC sealed him off, that was the MLB's play to make.

At 3min: RB runs right by him up the gut. Doesn't even get a hand on him to slow him down. Same thing the very next play. While he doesn't give up ground this time, he still doesn't do his job, which is to fill the gap and slow the runner. The RB runs just by him again for an easy 13yds...and he makes it 3 in a row, next play, he loses balance and falls to the ground, easily blocked. He's either exhausted or just not very good, another 12yds on 1st down right up the middle, running right at him1st play is on him as he has his head down and the back goes right by, next play looks like a hold by the Oregon OC, the 3rd play is a pass and he pushes the pocket back but he's just too late,

He follows that up with some much better plays inside the 10, after failing twice to run through the middle, Oregon gooes outside for a TD. He needs more of those plays.

Next series, he starts off good on 1st and 2nd down, then fails on 3rd and 5. The runner gets a 1st running right over LG, big hole, 1st down.Not sure what you expected him to do their he was lined up over the center and took on the gap between the OC and the RG the problem was his teammates, player #80 who was lined up over the LG/LT gap ran to his right to create an even bigger hole between the OC/LG and the LB failed to step up and fill, not Shelton's fault.

Next play another easy 1st down run up the gut, right past him...againThat play was actually on him as he failed to get a hand on the back.

That's half the game now and I've already seen way too many plays where he gets owned....and that's mostly 1on1 mind you.So out of the plays you listed Shelton failed to make the play, when he was in position, only twice.

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Just because you absolve him from any responsibility on other plays, doesn't make it a good play by him. I'm not saying he should have made the tackle every time, which you seem to think is the criteria here. His job is to fill gaps and not allow holes. Absolving him from the TD run is all I need to know that you have no clue what you're looking at. He gets sealed and that creates a highway up the gut for the RB. Should others behind make a play to limit the damage? Sure, I'm not saying he's the sole responsible for the TD, but the chain of failures started with him on that play. That play wasn't any better than those 10+yd runs. Fur the purpose of his evaluation, it doesn't matter what happens with the runner once he's past him

#gmstrong

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
He's one man on a 3 man line it's not his job to fill every single gap. On that particular play Washington was playing the pass, it was 3rd and 8, and used only 2 down linemen and had no one lined up over that gap so it was the job of the 2 LBers standing there to cover that hole. Shelton did his job on the play which was to fill the LG/LT gap, it was just the fact that the Washington Defensive Coordinator got out foxed on the play and that neither of the 2 ILBers got off their blocks to make the tackle or even get a hand on the RB.

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
J
All Pro
All Pro
J
As president of draft the big uglys how are you feeling today?

Last edited by jacksondawg; 05/01/15 03:59 PM.
Legend
Legend
Shelton will wear #71, for those who are interested.

P
Legend
Legend
P

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Vince Wilfork who was viewed as the second best DT in that draft, was picked at 21 and was considered to have work ethic issues?

I don't know what Shelton will become but to state that he can't be that good seems a bit premature. I mean, it's unlikely because not many are THAT good but it's way too early to say his ceiling is "solid starter"..

yebat' Putin
R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted By: DCDAWGFAN
Quote:

Vince Wilfork who was viewed as the second best DT in that draft, was picked at 21 and was considered to have work ethic issues?

I don't know what Shelton will become but to state that he can't be that good seems a bit premature. I mean, it's unlikely because not many are THAT good but it's way too early to say his ceiling is "solid starter"..

The underlined, bolded, italicized part is another reason I keep preaching continuity. There are no perfect players. You have to create an environment to get the best out of every player. An environment that changes every 1 to 2 years and doesn't allow players or coaches to grow and develop damn near requires that there be perfect players. Again, there are no perfect players.

This is also another chip to add to the pile of evidence that there are no talent gaps and GM to GM are all pretty similar. The successful franchises create an environment of stability and continuity that coaches and players alike can develop and grow in. And when you have that, then finally hit on the QB, sky's the limit.

Legend
Legend
I have been saying for years that teams like the Steelers, Patriots, etc don't have a magic system that allows them to draft better players year in and year out. They draft from the same pool as everybody else (usually lower) but then they bring them into a very stable, highly accountable, very consistent atmosphere with strong veteran leadership where they learn and grow into the players that they become.

Is Vince Wilfork the same Vince Wilfork if he was drafted by the Browns or the Jaguars or the Redskins? Highly doubtful.

yebat' Putin
R
Legend
Legend
R
We are on the same page.

My fear is we go 2-14 this year, and people start calling for heads. We will just keep repeating the same mistakes over and over again.

V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

I haven't studied the draft, but watched a bit of tape on Shelton because so many guys had him as our pick.

I actually like the pick for now. He's smart. He's big. He penetrates. He runs to the sidelines.

Dj's posts concern me some because I did not study Shelton in depth, but as of right now, I think it was a good pick

I am sure glad we picked him rather than trading our picks for MM or Bradford.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: clevesteve
Shelton will wear #71, for those who are interested.

Danny "The Mad Dawg" Shelton sounds good to me as far as nicknames. Pro Football reference has a list of the "best" players to ever wear each number and Alex "The Mad Duck" Karras was one of the 71s.

Fiercely Independent.
Legend
Legend
Transcript from introductory news conference of Browns' top picks Danny Shelton, Cameron Erving

By NATE ULRICH Published: May 1, 2015

Nose tackle Danny Shelton and offensive lineman Cameron Erving met with the media Friday for an introductory news conference after being selected in the first round of the NFL Draft by the Browns on Thursday night. Below is a transcript from the news conference provided by the team.

On Shelton’s hug with NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell and whether Goodell said anything to Shelton:
Shelton:“He was just excited, just like I was. He was shocked at the same time, but he was happy for me.”

On if Shelton and Erving know about the Browns’ history and the deep rivalries in the division:
Erving:“I don’t really know about the deep rivalries, but I am looking forward to engulfing myself in the culture and just getting to know where I am going to be. That is something that I definitely want to look into.”
Shelton:“I definitely know that the Dawg Pound was a team to be feared, but I am honestly just open to hear more about the history and learn a little bit more about the Dawg Pound and get ready to play for the Dawg Pound.”

On Cleveland being a long way from home for Shelton:
Shelton:“It is going to be great. I am ready to enter a new world and start my new journey.”

On if Shelton and Erving knew each other before the first round of the draft on Thursday or before arriving in Cleveland today:
Shelton:“Tuesday, actually.”

On if Shelton and Erving followed each other’s careers in college:
Erving: “I’m sure he has seen me play because I know I have seen him play. You know great players, and I definitely noticed him throughout the season, especially when people start talking about him more and more. There isn’t much to watch about an offensive lineman (laughter), but it has definitely been fun to watch all you different guys play.”

On what the past 24 hours has been like before the draft and the celebration afterwards:
Shelton: “It has been great. Just to know that I could bring my family out there and experience it with me was the only thing that was important, besides the fact that I was going to be drafted by Cleveland. It was just exciting the whole time to know that I will be calling another place home.”
Erving: “It has been crazy, a whirlwind of emotions. It has just been an amazing experience. This whole process, I have enjoyed every minute of it. Getting drafted by Cleveland was definitely something that I am never going to forget. It was a lot of nerves, but it was good nerves, more anxious, ready to see where I was going and ready to see where I was going to start my career, just excitement. Me and my family had a great time in the green room. It was a tough place to be at. The air was different. It was a good experience, though.”

On Erving’s philosophy for adapting to situations and making changes, especially at Florida St. where he moved from defense to offense and then to the middle:
Erving: “I have always been the type of person to do what was best for the team. When I moved to offensive line from defense line when I was at Florida State, I was a little hesitant because I didn’t trust a lot of people. I didn’t know if it was something that they were going to do and forget about me or if it was something that was really going to help me or help the team. I got older and matured and realized that it was for the betterment of the team and myself.”

On the people who helped Erving as he transitioned at Florida St.:
Erving: “I had conversations with my coaches at Florida St., of course – (Head) Coach (Jimbo) Fisher and (offensive line) Coach (Rick) Trickett. I told my parents about it and we prayed on it, and it was one of those things where the opportunity presented itself that many times for no reason. I went about it and I just tried to make the best out of the situation.”

On the position that Erving would ultimately like to play in the future:
Erving:“I am an offensive lineman. A lot of people say that is the politically correct answer, but that is just my honest answer. I couldn’t give you any other answer. I will do anything the team needs me to do.”

On if Erving enjoys playing one position more than another:
Erving:“I love playing ball.”

On if today brings pure joy or mixed emotions for Shelton on the anniversary of his brother’s death:
Shelton:“Honestly, it is a great time. It is a time to celebrate. I am just glad that my mom and my uncle are here to celebrate it with me because it is a hard time for my family. I definitely know that my brother is smiling down on us and I just can’t wait to go back and see my family and be with them.”

On if it is fitting for Shelton that today is the four-year anniversary of his brother’s death:
Shelton:“Yeah, it is just crazy to think, because four years ago, I would have never seen myself here. It is definitely a blessing. I just have to thank God for everything that he has done for me and my family. I am just praying to see how the next couple years go.”

On what Shelton studied at Washington and how he thinks being smart will help him be a better football player:
Shelton:“I took on anthropology. Basically, I saw it as a gateway for me to connect with my culture so I spent the four years reconnecting with my culture and taking advantage of all the opportunities. That correlates to the field with being able to understand where other players are coming from, understand different perspectives and being open to everybody, and at the same time, being coachable and being able to learn new positions and just better my knowledge of the game.”

On Erving received tips the Browns might draft him:
Erving: “We try not to pay attention to any of the mock drafts. A lot of people knew that Cleveland had their eyes on Danny. The first time I met him, said, ‘Man, Cleveland they’re going to get you. I think they like me a lot. I think that we might be teammates (laughter).’ It’s crazy. From my end, I had a little bit of an inkling that Cleveland was going to pick me. I didn’t know exactly where or when, but we had really good meetings in the pre-draft process.”

On how Erving’s grandmother affected his life:
Erving: “I definitely thought about it. Through this process, all I could think about was if she could be here with me. I know she’s happy. She’s looking down on me and the rest of my family. I got drafted and I had a little realization moment. I saw my grandfather was there, and that was the first time he had ever flown in a plane. It was amazing. I know she’s happy and I know that I’m making her proud.”

On the passing of Shelton’s brother being overwhelming:
Shelton: “I often think about it. I often think about how my family pulled through. With me being in college, I have all these resources around me. That’s what shaped me today. I was able to mature, but I am just thankful my family pulled through. All they had was themselves. I tried coming back and supporting them as best I could, but it would just be too hard to go back home the first two years. I am just glad we are here now, experiencing everything, and we’re a part of the Dawg Pound.”

On Shelton’s 40-yard dash time and ESPN analyst Mel Kiper’s comments:
Shelton: “I think it is super important if you are a track star (laughter). If you would have watched my high school tapes, I definitely did the 50-yard sprint and the big man relay. I was a track star back then. I’m mature now, and it’s all business. That’s part of business. You have to take criticism.”

On how Washington Head Coach Chris Peterson helped Shelton get on the right track:
Shelton: “I owe it all to (former Washington Head) Coach Sarks (Steve Sarkisian) and his staff. They had me at the worst parts. They had me when I was young and immature. It took me awhile to open up to them and grow with them. To have (Washington Head) Coach (Chris) Peterson come and finish what they did, it was just awesome. It was the icing on the cake.”

On when everything started to calm down for Shelton:
Shelton: “I would say 19 going on 20. It was right when I was getting ready for junior year. I started feeling a different change. I ended up hurting my shoulder and it kind of set me back, but Coach Sark and his staff were there to help me out through the season.”

On if Shelton has heard from Sarkisian:
Shelton: “I haven’t talked to him, but I heard about the interviews that he had and a lot of the great things he had to say about me. It’s just awesome to think that he is still thinking of me.”

On when Erving committed to football and how he got to that position:
Erving: “Well, first of all, I’ve always loved playing ball. Second of all, it was 2008, I was a sophomore in high school. I didn’t know what was going to happen. I didn’t know that I had a career in football. I knew that I loved football, but being where I’m from, I’m one of the only people really to ever be drafted into the NFL. It was kind of hard to believe what he was telling me was true. I didn’t know I would be in this position right now. It’s crazy. I love playing ball. What changed it, it was just the fact that I realized I could actually play on the next level and realized that I could play at the collegiate level, at a high level. It made me become more serious with what I was doing.”

On being motivated after coming out of high school as a two-star recruit:
Erving:“No, words from a wise man, ‘It ain’t where you start; it’s where you finish”

On what Shelton learned most by connecting with his culture while studying anthropology at Washington:
Shelton:“Just how important family and community is. Honestly, I feel comfortable, I feel safe being here in Cleveland. I’m just so happy to be here with my family and for them to be here to experience everything with me.”

On if he knew any Polynesian athletes that preceded him:
Shelton:“Guys I looked up to growing up, Troy Polamalu – I always wanted to be a safety but was too big so I took the next best thing and that was D-tackle. I looked up to Haloti Ngata. Those were just guys who represented our culture really well. I just want to follow their footsteps.”

On if Erving would have been a first-round pick if he didn’t switch to center at Florida State:
Erving: “Nobody in this room knows that.”

On if Erving heard draft speculation prior to his final season:
Erving: “I don’t know. I have no idea. I really didn’t pay attention to all that stuff, but that’s one of those things that you never know because you never know how a draft can go. If five tackles get taken in the top 10, you never know who else is going to need an offensive lineman.”

On how Erving’s grandfather handled the flight, having never flown:
Erving: “Well my parents, my sisters, they said he did well. They said he was just chilling”

On the age of Erving’s grandfather:
Erving: “76”

On: Where Cameron’s grandfather flew from
Erving:“Moultrie, Georgia”

On watching OL Joe Thomas on film during his collegiate career:
Erving:“He’s a consistent player. He’s one of those guys who’s going to take the same pass set, nobody’s going to beat him on the edge. You’re not going to beat him inside. You’re going to beat him trying to go for the outside shoulder, and when you go to the outside shoulder, the ball is gone. He’s just one of those guys who you look at his sets and you just watch and try to see what he does and how he comes out of his stance and his steps he’s taking, and his hands. I got really technical with it later as an offensive lineman. I’ve only played the position for three years, but when I first started playing I watched him, Rodney Hudson, guys like that. People that I played with at Florida State, I looked up to guys like Brian Stewart. It was a great example to look at Joe Thomas. He’s going to a Hall of Famer one day.”

On what changed about Florida State’s offense when Erving moved to center:
Erving:“We had problems being consistent with moving the ball with the run. We could always pass the ball, but we wanted to be a team that two-dimensional. We didn’t have consistent play on the interior just because it was a young guy in there playing center. He’s going to be a good player one day, but he just had a lot of problems. We wanted to firm up the middle of the offensive line, and Coach Trickett asked me to move to center so that’s what it was.”

On the difference between moving from defense to offense than tackle to center and if the latter was easier for him:
Erving: “I am blessed to have a lot of ability, God-given ability so that was a large part to it. I attribute a lot of that success to my position coach, Coach Trickett. He educated us and taught us a lot about football, not just one positon. He wanted us to be offensive linemen. That’s why I tell you what I tell you today. When he coached other guys, I always tried to listen to little key coaching points that he would give to guards and to centers and to right tackles, even though I was playing left tackle at the time. I feel like that’s what really helped me make the move to center.”

On playing with QB Jameis Winston and the strongest memory from playing with him:
Erving:“When we were in the National Championship standing on the sideline before that last drive Jameis walks up to us. The offensive linemen were standing there getting ready to go onto the field. There was about to be a kickoff after they had just scored. He said, ‘Hey, if we’re going to do it, we’re going to do it big.’ Then he said, ‘Everybody go out there and just do your job.’ That was our motto the whole season – ‘Everybody just do your job.’ Don’t try to go out there and do too much. As fierce of a competitor as he is, he doesn’t lose his cool. I feel like a lot of people say they compare him to (Falcons QB) Matt Ryan. Everybody calls him ‘Matty Ice’ because he’s got ice in his veins. Jameis is one of those types of players, as well. That was one of the finest moments in his career at Florida State.”

On the Washington defense recording several sacks last season and how Shelton would describe himself as a player:
Shelton:“I made a promise to the team in the offseason that I’d be the guy who brought positive energy. Honestly, just keeping with that, it brought production. I was having fun. I was having a good time. I was feeling good, looking good and playing good. I owe it all to my defensive players. We compete. We get after it. I always competed against (LB Hau’oli Kikaha) with sacks. I always competed with (LB) Shaq (Thompson) with fumble recoveries, (LB John) Timu with tackles. It was all just a big game to us, and we just wanted to have fun.”

On Shelton confidence that his game will translate to the professional level:
Shelton:“Honestly, I don’t see a need to go backwards. It’s always been my motto to just keep moving forward. With everything I’ve been through, it’s all been learning opportunities. I’ve been improving each year, and I’m just excited to continue that progress.”

On playing if Shelton can play all three downs in the NFL:
Shelton:“I’ll play two downs, three downs, four downs. Even if there was a five down I’d play five downs. Honestly, it doesn’t matter about my weight or whatever. I’m going to be that guy who’s going to outwork people. I’m going to be that guy who breaks stereotypes, breaks negativity/ I’m going to bring the positive energy. I’m just excited to get in and work with these guys and be a part of the Dawg Pound.”

On if Shelton is dedicating his career to his brother:
Shelton:“This is it. This is exactly what we’ve all looked up to. We’ve all dreamt of this day. We didn’t know if it was going to be Cleveland, but honestly, it’s something that we all planned on doing. I’m just happy to be the first one to do it.”

link

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
the video says ints no longer available =(

You can't fix stupid but you can destroy ignorance. When you destroy ignorance you remove the justifications for evil. If you want to destroy evil then educate our people. Hate is a tool of the stupid to deal with what they can't understand.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Other than Joe Thomas, I have never had as good a feeling about a Browns draft pick than this one. Pitt has always loved their Samoan players. They might not always be the best technique wise, but they just seem to play with more pride and tenacity.

Congratulations to our 2016 NBA Champion CLEVELAND CAVALIERS!!! Greatest comeback in sports history... Hail to the King!

The great QB guru and the Moneyball group: 1-15
Record of Criminal Haslam owned Browns: 20-60 (0.250)
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: WhatCanBrownDo4U
Other than Joe Thomas, I have never had as good a feeling about a Browns draft pick than this one. Pitt has always loved their Samoan players. They might not always be the best technique wise, but they just seem to play with more pride and tenacity.

And in many cases, I believe this is where people who evaluate draft picks go wrong on some players.

Some players have great measurable, some have great combine numbers, some have great pro days. Then there are those who are simply great football players. I believe Shelton is simply a great football player.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I would pay $$$ to see Shelton try out for our "empty" QB position.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2015 NFL Season The NFL Draft 2015 Browns pick Danny Shelton with 12th pick

Link Copied to Clipboard