Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/duke-johnson?id=2552461

Draft Analysis:

"He really reminds me of Giovani Bernard of the Bengals. They are both built similarly. Johnson is very good out of the shotgun. The one thing on film that sticks out is his explosiveness and ability to turn the corner." --
LaDainian Tomlinson

Overview

Selected first-team All-ACC in 2014 and left Miami as school's all-time leading rusher (3,519 yards). Finished 2014 season with 1,652 yards rushing. Ran for 249 yards against Virginia Tech and 130 yards against Florida State. In 2013, selected second-team All-ACC, but suffered season-ending ankle injury against Florida State. Was the 2012 ACC Rookie of the Year and selected second-team All-ACC while rushing for freshman record 947 yards and 10 touchdowns. Set UM single-season record with 892 kick return yards. Rated No. 1 running back in the nation out of high school and won a 5A State Championship at Miami Norland along with draft entrant and Miami tackle, Ereck Flowers. His father, Randy, died from ALS in 2008.

Pro Day Results
40-yard dash: 4.5 and 4.51 seconds
Vertical jump: 35 inches
Short shuttle: 4.16 seconds
3-cone: 6.88 seconds
Bench: 18 reps of 225 pounds
Analysis
Strengths Explosive burst and plays with suddenness. Elusive in tight quarters. Has lightning in his feet. Has hips and feet to stop and start without stalling. Rare ability on stretch plays to hit cutback lanes that other backs can't get to. Runs with patience and a well-timed burst. Has great feel as zone-scheme, one-cut runner. Changes direction without breaking stride. Courageous runner. Shows no fear when getting downhill. Strong-willed competitor with toughness. Has second gear around the corner and can erase the angles. Gets small(er) through the hole and runs behind pads. Fights through arm tackles. Regroups and balances himself after initial contact. Reads and sets up routes and adjusts to poorly thrown balls.
Weaknesses Average inside runner, where feel and instincts are concerned. Vision fails him at times when running between the tackles. Won't always see initial hole and will mash turbo button, hoping to power through to second level. At times unwilling to do dirty work in pass protection. Looks for cut blocks rather than squaring up and playing with technique and toughness. Tries to run to daylight once in open field rather than just finishing runs. Hampered by injuries in 2014 and broke his ankle in 2013. Medicals will be combed over. Must improve ball security after fumbling six times over last two seasons.
Draft Projection Round 2 or 3
Sources Tell Us "Best outside zone back in this draft and it's not close. I just wish he was a little more willing as a blocker." - NFC running back coach
NFL Comparison Justin Forsett
Bottom Line One of the most explosive runners in college football during his time at Miami, Johnson doesn't need much of a crease to make defenses pay. His explosive quickness and elusiveness should help him adapt quickly to NFL speed. His feel and courage as a one-cut runner should earn him instant playing time. Johnson's lack of pass-protection skills and concerns about his durability could force him into a committee situation. He's perfectly suited for a role as a zone-scheme back.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
As a big U fan, I'm relatively happy with this pick.

Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
that's good. I am very indifferent.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: CHSDawg
As a big U fan, I'm relatively happy with this pick.

I like it also, he is a very productive back and will fit nicely with the Crow and West ...

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Another fantastic pick. Fits what the Browns want to do very well and provides the home run threat neither Crow or West have.

you had a good run Hank.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Boom/Bust potential.

100% depends on how the coaching staff utilizes him.

I don't hate the pick, but just don't have confidence in us to do anything right lol.

Legend
Legend
LT and Mayock gushed on the pick. I guess they know more than me. And this is a clear signal we'll be running A LOT.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
He was probably the best player available and I know i am always pushing BPA but this was a shocker. Not all that fast but very quick and nimble. Runs through trash the way LT used to. I dont think he is a #1 but he is a good compliment back.

U
All Pro
All Pro
U
He was my second favorite running back in the draft, behind only Gurley, so I'm happy with the pick!

Reminds me a ton of LeSean McCoy in the open field, although he seems to be better at hitting the hole and getting through the line of scrimmage before dancing.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Yea, this is one of those dividing picks. He seems like we got a lot of value here but we're now a running back by committee team? And we're aching for a WR/TE but at this point those positions have run thin. Gotta say, Farmer seems like an orthodox BPA GM in this draft. Can't fault for that as it usually is the way to go. But it's hard when you know we passed on another WR rich draft.

"Team Chemistry No Match for Team Biology" (Onion Sports Headline)
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
He gives us something we didn't have in the backfield before. Gives us another way to exploit matchups. Another hardworking, high football character guy.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: GrimmBrown
He gives us something we didn't have in the backfield before. Gives us another way to exploit matchups. Another hardworking, high football character guy.

Grimm ever think of adding pom poms for an aviator?

nanner nanner nanner nanner nanner nanner nanner nanner

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Can't believe I am in a group that is comprised of the best NOT just fans but people on the planet.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Brown to the Bone
Originally Posted By: GrimmBrown

Grimm ever think of adding pom poms for an aviator?

nanner nanner nanner nanner nanner nanner nanner nanner

Not a big fan of aviators. Avatars are over-rated, too. I'm more a fan of bullhorns than pom poms. Haven't had a pick I've hated yet. None I've loved, but I can get behind them.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Another bench player!!! Yes!!!!!!!

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
He's absolutely, 100%, their starter.

you had a good run Hank.
Legend
Legend
I love, love, LOVE Duke Johnson. He is the all-time leader in rushing and in all-purpose yards at the U. The U. Not Ottis Anderson, not Edge, not Gore, not Portis, not McGahee, Duke. Plus, he's a terrific receiver.

B
2nd String
2nd String
B
Originally Posted By: Thebigbaddawg
He's absolutely, 100%, their starter.

I would agree that our FO expects him to become our starter but I fully expect him to have to earn it in camp. Lots of competition at RB position.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I had an early 2nd on him and I see him primarily as a 3rd down back atleast early.

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Originally Posted By: clevesteve
I love, love, LOVE Duke Johnson. He is the all-time leader in rushing and in all-purpose yards at the U. The U. Not Ottis Anderson, not Edge, not Gore, not Portis, not McGahee, Duke. Plus, he's a terrific receiver.

Thank You! Steve, I thought it was you giving this kid props earlier in the month/year!

Legend
Legend
Man, I hope this guy is right! wink

UM's Duke Johnson Is the Best Running Back in the NFL Draft | Miami New Times
http://www.miaminewtimes.com/news/ums-duke-johnson-is-the-best-running-back-in-the-nfl-draft-7575299

With the NFL draft set to begin April 30, all the talk has centered on quarterbacks Jameis Winston and Marcus Mariota, who are projected to be the first and second players taken. But the true breakout star will be former University of Miami running back Duke Johnson.

Johnson is a legend in Miami-Dade's football subculture. He's been breaking records since he was a little-leaguer for the Liberty City Optimist Club, which has churned out some of the best talent to play in the NFL. (Two examples are Tampa Bay Buccaneers linebacker Vontae Davis and Atlanta Falcons running back Devonta Freeman.) At Miami Norland Senior High, Duke racked up thousands of yards playing against the nation's toughest competition.

At the University of Miami, Johnson carried the offense for three-plus years, becoming the school's all-time leading rusher with 3,339 yards. He broke Ottis Anderson's record, which dated back to the 1970s. On his way to the top, Duke surpassed Alonzo Highsmith, Edgerrin James, Clinton Portis, Willis McGahee, and Lamar Miller, who all went on to have stellar careers in the NFL.

Johnson also owns the records for UM running back with the most 100-yard games, rushing yards in a single season, all-purpose yards in a career and a season, yards per carry during a season, and touchdowns.

When a player from Miami, which sends more guys to the NFL than any other city, dominates the football field at the little-league, high-school, and college levels, there is no doubt he can excel in the pros too. (A recent count by the website Elite Daily shows South Florida has five of the top ten high schools that produce the most NFL players.) This draft features a slate of topnotch South Florida players, including Amari Cooper, Durell Eskridge, and UM's Ereck Flowers.

Duke Johnson has all the qualities of a great running back: a feel for the game, a high football IQ, and explosiveness once he gets the ball. If he's available when the Miami Dolphins' turn comes up, the hometown team would be crazy not to draft him.

I don't understand how Sun Sentinel Dolphins beat writer Omar Kelly and ESPN draft analyst Mel Kiper Jr. don't have Duke as the best running back available.

There is no doubt he will be one of the greatest running backs in NFL history.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Probably not, the writer's a major homer.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Lemmys_Wart
Probably not, the writer's a major homer.

I thought that I made that clear .....

Evidently not. crazy

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
The writer may have been bubbling with homer enthusiasm but he didn't make up the stats or accomplishments.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: ddubia
The writer may have been bubbling with homer enthusiasm but he didn't make up the stats or accomplishments.

That is true.

Heck, I hope that he's right, and we drafted the best RB in the draft. I don't know about that, but I would "settle" for 2nd or 3rd best ..... wink

Legend
Legend
Ok, and by the way, my dog, Duke, really like this guy. wink

D
Legend
Legend
D
This pick, to me, confirms there is more going on West and the "maturity" issues than we probably thought. West probably just lost his job. This kid can catch and man can he run.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: clevesteve

Didn't see a single snap of him pre-draft, just watched some and I like what I saw. Reading the reports on him, I feared he'd be one of those situational speedy guys that is easy tackle and goes down quickly. Duke Johnson is not one of those, he's a tough little runner, he's a 3 down RB.

Here's what I saw:

- well aware of down and distance and plays to it. Doesn't try to hit a HR every run
- very elusive and creative, makes the most out of every play, ALWAYS falls forward
- not afraid of contact, goes hard up the middle and shoots through gaps without hesitation
- read several times that he's not a willing blocker and I tell you that's BS. He throws his body at much bigger guys, he just needs to be smarter with his technique

You know what? This Duke guy is a pretty good runner.

THis 3rd round has been pretty good. Good rebound from the useless Orchard overdraft

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: DjangoBrown
You know what? This Duke guy is a pretty good runner.

I was against a RB, period, but after watching some tape... liking this kid. All your "what I saw" is spot on. Hits the hole hard, not afraid of contact, breaks arm tackles often, very nimble and shifty, speed and he's very good at setting up and using his blockers with displays patience when needed.

I haven't seen him blocking, so I cannot comment on that.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Pre draft there was some discussion on who is the best RB Receiver in this draft as that was the need at RB if any.
Also in the little I read about our offense from Flip and Pettine. RB in the route tree was going to be key. Although West n Crowell can catch I would not consider them good route runners and a miss match. Actually if we didn't draft one, I thought possibly we would be seeing Gabriel a lot in the backfield for passing downs.

My question to you cause I think he can be and a big need for this team. Is did Johnson Return Punts or Kickoffs in Miami?..you stated you were a fan so assume you saw a lot of their games.

I'd love to see him return punts.
jmho - I don't think anyone can say we came into this draft without a plan! Very solid draft so far.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Dawg_LB
This pick, to me, confirms there is more going on West and the "maturity" issues than we probably thought. West probably just lost his job. This kid can catch and man can he run.

Can't it just be that they saw a chance to upgrade and took it?

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
S
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
S
I'm not sure why ppl are that surprised (or upset) w/ the Duke Johnson pick. He's an explosive runner with home run potential on every carry and he's probably the best pass catcher out of the backfield in the entire draft. He's also probably going to step in as the #1 Punt Returner from day one - filling a HUGE need from last year when he actually had a designated punt catcher on the roster because Benji caught a case of the Yips and nobody else had a clue what they were doing. It really was pathetic and embarrassing if you ask me.

Duke fills multiple important and often overlooked needs for us. To be able to get an explosive, home run type hitting RB who can also catch the ball extremely well out of the backfield and return kicks and punts in the 3rd round of the draft is pretty freakin awesome. The reason he dropped to the 3rd Round is because he doesn't project as an every down back. But I promise you, we're going to see a lot of 'the Duke' this year making big plays.

JMHO
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: Damanshot
Originally Posted By: Dawg_LB

Can't it just be that they saw a chance to upgrade and took it?

If they're going all speed, then I see it as an upgrade. Pettine mentioned West has "a lot of untapped potential" and didn't write him off at all (nor did Farmer in any comments in the recent presser over day two so I don't know, maybe they seriously and really like the three headed monster attack they tried to do with Ben Tate and the baby backs.

Maybe the high words of Glenn Winston, this Shaun Draughn we signed and etc aren't really impressing the staff. IDK, I just didn't see the need for a running back and I see more pressing needs elsewhere on the offense (TE, WR). Duke can also return kicks, but Farmer spoke highly of Travis, indicating coming off knee surgery - their second season is better. So I don't know.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Duke Johnson was one of the few guys I actually wrote about prior to the draft. I looked for that post, but can't find it. Here is something similar to what I said about him before last night.

I love his effort, quickness, and quick twitch muscle movements. I like his pass receiving ability. He makes guys miss and can break tackles. I think he is a high character kid.

Love him, but I would not draft him. He is not a guy who really runs between the tackles. His pass protection is weak and you can't have that in today's NFL. I also think his evolved running style has caused him to be constantly banged-up and just like I said about Mettenberger last year, this kid is an injury waiting to happen.

D
Legend
Legend
D
I liked Tevin Coleman, who went at #73, and it would have been interesting to see which guy the Browns picked if he had lasted to #77. But I'm happy with Duke because he addresses a need for a RB who can catch a swing pass or a screen pass - so he'll be a great 3rd down option. Plus, we were dying for a punt returner and he should fill that role nicely. Old timers might remember Greg Pruitt in his heyday. Like Pruitt, Johnson could add another dimension to the Browns' offensive arsenal. If West and Crowell are the "Thunder", Duke could be "Lightning". Love the pick.

D
All Pro
All Pro
D
I'm a fan of the Duke. He's one of the guys I wanted out of this draft.

He'll work well in a rotation with West/Crow. We need weapons, he can catch and contribute on ST.

B
Rookie
Rookie
B
Don't get the constantly banged up statement. Do you know something I didn't see? He had over 500 carries in a three year career at the U. His only injury to my knowledge was a broken ankle. Yes he got banged up in a game after the ankle issue but didn't miss time.
He was a three down player and his pass protection abilities are rated with varying opinions.
I watched most games and didn't recall the QBs getting sacked an abnormal amount with him in the backfield.
He was a feared weapon and most teams made sure they knew where he was.

Last edited by bonitadawg; 05/02/15 11:20 AM.
S
Legend
Legend
S
For me, I think this spells the end of Terrence West. Too many issues with him not working hard. I think Duke Johnson could start for you, with the Crow taking his fair share of snaps.

I think Glen Winston sticks around as the 3rd guy. I just don't see the draw in keeping a back who's not really that good, had a very low pick invested in him, and doesn't work hard enough, where almost every counterpart of his, works harder than almost everyone else?

D
Legend
Legend
D
Did any of you Twitter mavens see a tweet from West following the Duke Johnson pick? I heard on the radio last night that he tweeted a series of emojis showing a range of smiling then frowning then crying emoticons. Not sure if it was a legit report, because there's so many phony twitter accounts. If it was West's account, it shows pretty poor judgement and a lack of maturity.

S
Legend
Legend
S
Originally Posted By: Dave
Did any of you Twitter mavens see a tweet from West following the Duke Johnson pick? I heard on the radio last night that he tweeted a series of emojis showing a range of smiling then frowning then crying emoticons. Not sure if it was a legit report, because there's so many phony twitter accounts. If it was West's account, it shows pretty poor judgement and a lack of maturity.

It was the "laughing so hard I'm crying" emoji. He then saved himself by tweeting at Duke Johnson, welcoming him to the team. I've grown to not like the guy very much. I don't really care about him hamming it up with the cameras on Thursday Night Football, but I hate seeing reports about him not dressing for a game because he wasn't working hard enough.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I've heard great things about Duke from some players. Sounds like he's ready to go and excited!

[Linked Image from img.photobucket.com]
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2015 NFL Season The NFL Draft 2015 Browns Select Duke Johnson with the 77th pick

Link Copied to Clipboard