Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
A
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
A
This isn't a "slam Hillary" post. This is me wondering what on earth politics has become.

1-2.5 billion dollars?

From the article: "

There is a growing realization inside Hillary Clinton’s Brooklyn headquarters and among the wider circle of Democratic operatives that coming up with the requisite $1 billion to $2.5 billion in campaign and super PAC cash for the 2016 campaign will be a lot tougher than anticipated — and demands a more aggressive approach to out-of-the-gate fundraising."

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/05/hillary-clintons-big-money-dilemma-117559.html

Legend
Legend
Frankly, I'm almost surprised that it doesn't cost more than that.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
politicians are bought and paid for.

Hillary got all that money.

The koch brothers put up almost a mill.

It's sickening from both sides.

I'm personally sick of the campaigning. I wanna see 4 hardcore Debates, let them go at it, and we choose from there.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
O
Legend
Legend
O
Quote:
The koch brothers put up almost a BILLION.

Fixed that for you.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
O
Legend
Legend
O
It's sickening Arch, and "amurica" seems blind to the corruption. I don't get it at all. It's no longer about differing points of view it's all about money and power.

The funny part is, after a certain point more money and power are just uselss...

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Legend
Legend
Quote:
"amurica" seems blind to the corruption. I don't get it at all. It's no longer about differing points of view it's all about money and power.

I'm not blind to it.

I remember with crystalline precision where I was when I heard that the Supreme Court had rendered its decision in the 'Citizens United' case.

I was so busy screaming in frustration at the radio, I almost rear-ended someone in a traffic slow-down on I-23, heading south from Ann Arbor to Toledo. Had to swerve onto the shoulder to keep from causing at least a 3-car pileup.

Quote:
The funny part is, after a certain point more money and power are just uselss...

Agreed. But I'll also say this in addition: Tyler Derden's apocalyptic view of America's not-so distant future doesn't seem all that far-fetched any more. Why?

Because we've seen it played out countless times throughout history. I could name the most important events starting with the 20th c and chronicle them, uprising by uprising to Christ's time on Earth. The scene has always been the same:

When the rich and powerful take more than the system can maintain/sustain, the poor and disenfranchised rise up... and it's always ugly and bloody when they do. The R&P do all they can to suppress the movement, but they always end up at the end of a pike, or with their heads on a guillotine.

Reforms are enacted... and a new generation of money- and power-hungry greedmeisters start the process all over again.

Some years back, I tried to tell my Pops-In-Law that the current socioplitical situation in America that spawned the Tea Party Movement was also the impetus that spawned the rise of the Occupy wall Street movement.

His over-the-top reaction to my 'dog whistle' words "Occupy Wall Street" told me that he'd already been sucked into the propaganda mill that pitted conservatives against liberals... when they actually shared a common foe- the unholy marriage of corporate/Wall St."Military-industrial complex" money and Capitol Hill.

He yelled so loudly at me about hippies taking dumps on police cars, that he couldn't allow himself to hear my point that both groups were fighting (from different angles) against a common foe.

When the conversation broke down to that point, I knew I'd never be able to reach him... because in his mind, the equation was simple and straightforward:

Tea Party Patriots = Good.
Occupy Wall Street = Bad.

If a significant-enough percentage of the population sees things through the lens that focuses his world view, then the long-established power brokers have won... for now.

Because they've managed to pit various groups of Americans against one another in pointless side arguments, while they continue to amass power and influence over how this country runs.

It dangerous in the extreme because of this one (historically-proven) fact:

Being rich and powerful only makes you capable of making people (and counties, and states and nations) do what YOU want them to. It doesn't automatically make you smart enough to actually successfully RUN the institutions you've just commandeered.

And that's why ALL oligarchies have always fallen apart- on a historic and epic scale. Too much incest weakens the bloodline.

_________

America, of all the sociopolitical constructs we've seen in the last 2,000 years had the best chance of 'beating the odds'... by the tenets of her constitution, by the lofty ideals enunciated in her Bill Of Rights, and by the desire of her immigrant populace to buy into the ideals that spawned her.

Unfortunately even America's social construct can't keep people from being the flawed chunks of 98.6 they really are.

Leave it to People- those creatures so ennobled/castigated by Shakespeare when he said: "What a piece of work is Man..." to f*ck up the very best thing he's ever created for himself in over a thousand generations on this planet.

Given my world view, it doesn't really surprise me that it now takes an ante of BILLIONS of dollars just to join the poker game.

THAT'S how far we have slid from what our Founding Fathers envisioned for us.

There's a reason why "Greed" has its spot in the list of "7 Deadly Sins."

Man's general nature has never changed. And America isn't immune to Man's failings.

Ugly s#1t is on our horizon... and another Clinton in office isn't going to change a damned thing. It's only going to accelerate the timeline to total collapse.

_________

I got my exit strategy already laid out. One day, I'll simply type:

"I'm out."

...and that's the last DT post you'll see from me.

Clemmy.

"too many notes, not enough music-"
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: OldColdDawg
Quote:

Fixed that for you.

Don't feel bad for them, I'm sure it's a tax wright-off.

#GMSTRONG
D
All Pro
All Pro
D
I'm not taking a shot at the GOP either, but I remember just after the GOP Convention, their leader (Rice Preibus or whatever) proclaimed they had already won the Presidency.

Not based on Romney or a speech from the convention. Based on how much money they raised in Tampa, and how Obama could not compete with their Social Welfare Organizations (SuperPACs).

And its not just President. These SuperPACs are increasingly taking huge sums of money and attacking individual state issues and elections. Everything from Scott Walker to marijuana, they pool it all together and drastically overfund 1 place at a time.

A
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
A
And I want to re-iterate: This isn't a "Hillary" thing, or a "democrat" thing. (at least for me, because I'm sure the R's are coming up with money as well. Maybe not as much individually as there are more R's running).

I knew it was bad - the amount of money needed to run - but I didn't know it was THIS bad.

The people that are big donors - they donate big bucks for a reason: They want something in return. As in "hey, nominee, remember me? I put a million bucks into your campaign.......

People donating $50, $100 - they don't expect "stuff" in return.

D
All Pro
All Pro
D
Mega Donors are getting something in return. I draw a distinction between getting something directly for their own benefit and pushing agendas for the greater good.

1 Billionaire wants lower taxes for the rich, corporations & repeal of the estate tax. Another billionaire wants to raise taxes. Big difference in my eyes.

Or regulation. An Energy Mogul wants less regulation on how his business dumps waste. An environmentalist-donor wants to stop pollution. Big Difference, imo.

Not trying to be Partisan, just a few examples I can think of. I'm sure there are ones that go the other way. I'd be all in favor of capping the limit at $100 and eliminating all of the PAC/Union/Lobby money. Just personal donations.

All Pro
All Pro
You know, Slick Willie was in charge of the Haiti relief fund and the make up of who does business there. Enough said.

GO BROWNS!
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: OldColdDawg
Quote:

Fixed that for you.

Have you ever checked how much money George soros puts into the elections? The Koch brothers donations pale in comparison. Soros also owes $6-7 billion to the IRS, while he calls for the rich to pay more in taxes.

[Linked Image from s2.excoboard.com]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Clem,

Tea Party Patriots = Good.
Occupy Wall Street = Bad.

I will say this about the tea party, at least they clean up after themselves when they have a rally.

[Linked Image from s2.excoboard.com]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:
Not trying to be Partisan, just a few examples I can think of. I'm sure there are ones that go the other way. I'd be all in favor of capping the limit at $100 and eliminating all of the PAC/Union/Lobby money. Just personal donations.

Tell me about it....

It's just awful. Our country has been hijacked by banks, lobbyists, even unions. But in all fairness, my union (which lobbies for people in my work), is up against the farmers and the oil companies.

It's going to destroy us if we don't do anything soon. A country run by corporations..... That's what we live in

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
Legend
Legend
Quote:
Because they've managed to pit various groups of Americans against one another in pointless side arguments, while they continue to amass power and influence over how this country runs.

Amen brother.

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
That's insane.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
F
Legend
Legend
F
Take out all the TV ads slandering their opponents, and they could probably campaign for the price of a cup of coffee a day. smile

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: DCDAWGFAN
Quote:

Amen brother.

and a double Amen

BTW, Happy birthday DC

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
How much does Coke or Pepsi have to pay to advertise?

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... Does it really take $1 billion to $2.5 billion to run for President?

Link Copied to Clipboard