Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
Swish Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
http://thinkprogress.org/health/2015/05/01/3653655/satanic-temple-abortion-waiting-period/

The Satanic Temple, a faith community that ascribes to seven central tenets that track closely with humanism, is seeking a religious exemption from Missouri’s 72-hour abortion waiting period on the grounds that the law violates their sincerely held beliefs about bodily autonomy.
The St. Louis chapter of the Satanic Temple says they were recently contacted by a Satanist woman, whom they identify only as “Mary,” who is struggling to navigate Missouri’s harsh abortion laws as she attempts to end a pregnancy. She lives hundreds of miles away from the state’s only abortion clinic, and she doesn’t have the means to make the trip twice in order to comply with the state’s mandatory counseling and 72-hour waiting requirements. So her religious leaders are stepping in on her behalf.
Satanic Temple leaders set up a crowdfunding site to raise money to help Mary cover the expenses associated with her abortion procedure. And they’re also arguing that, based on their community’s religious tenets — which stipulate that “one’s body is inviolable, subject to one’s own will alone” and “we should take care never to distort scientific facts to fit our beliefs” — Mary should be able to get a faith-based exemption to the state’s 72-hour waiting period.
According to the crowdfunding page set up on her behalf, Mary now plans to present her doctor with a letter that reads, “I regard a waiting period as a state sanctioned attempt to discourage abortion by instilling an unnecessary burden as part of the process to obtain this legal medical procedure. The waiting period interferes with the inviolability of my body and thereby imposes an unwanted and substantial burden on my sincerely held religious beliefs.”
The Satanic Temple — sometimes described as “the nicest Satanic cult in the world” — is a unique blend of activism, satire, and what appear to be sincere humanist beliefs. Over the past several years, its adherents have used several creative campaigns to test the limits of religious freedom, like pointing out that laws allowing Christian prayer in school will also ensure that kids can pray to Satan.
Mary’s case fits into Satanists’ larger effort to use the framework set forth by the recent Hobby Lobby case to argue that they should be exempt from state-level abortion restrictions. Last summer, on the heels of a Supreme Court decision that awarded Hobby Lobby’s evangelical owners the right to drop insurance coverage for birth control methods that violate their religious beliefs, the leaders of the Satanic Temple launched a “Religious Reproductive Liberty” campaign.
The logo for the Satanic Temple's religious reproductive rights campaign
The logo for the Satanic Temple’s religious reproductive rights campaign
CREDIT: SATANIC TEMPLE
As part of that campaign, the Satanic Temple makes the religious case against abortion restrictions that are based on junk science and medical misinformation — and fights for the right to use faith-based arguments to strengthen, rather than weaken, access to reproductive health care.
“While religio-conservative views seek to undermine abortion rights, they have also steadily worked to define ‘religious liberty’ to be understood in terms of reserving the the right to deny contraceptives and oppose rational family planning practices. In fact, religious liberty works the other way, too,” Lucien Greaves, the head of The Satanic Temple, said in a statement provided to the Friendly Atheist blog.
Greaves also said his group is preparing to “pursue legal action” if the doctors at Missouri’s only abortion clinic aren’t able to honor Mary’s religious waiver seeking to bypass the 72-hour waiting period.
While some Americans likely don’t take the Satanic Temple’s stated religious beliefs seriously, other faith groups take a similar stance on reproductive rights. Across the country, some faith leaders and clergy members have been standing up for women’s access to legal abortion services, arguing that their desire to protect women’s safety and bodily autonomy stems from their Christian beliefs. And back in the 1960s, before Roe v. Wade, Christian and Jewish leaders were instrumental in advocating for the legalization of abortion to prevent women from dying.

_____

Hey, religious freedom, right?

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Bravo.

Y
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Y
That.is.awesome.

I love when something like this blows up in these people's faces. Now if only they would win...as they should.

#gmstrong
Swish Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Originally Posted By: YepTheBrownsRule
That.is.awesome.

I love when something like this blows up in these people's faces. Now if only they would win...as they should.

yep. they should definitely win.

religious freedom works both ways.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
F
Legend
Legend
F
By the time they win the baby will be 5 years old.

But I don't really see the correlation here. Hobby Lobby was exempted from having to purchase a certain insurance option. This is not about something forced on you, you can choose not to have the abortion, you can choose to beat go to another state to get it done, you could choose many other ways of doing this.

Unless their religion states all pregnancies are to be aborted immediately, there is no conflict.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
2nd String
2nd String
Originally Posted By: FloridaFan
But I don't really see the correlation here.

Let's not confuse their agenda with the facts. As you stated Hobby Lobby was fighting to not be forced to purchase a product and one is asking to have the restrictions lifted to kill a person.

The Constitution shall never be construe to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms. – Samuel Adams
Legend
Legend
She should just pray to the devil to kill the kid, I'm sure he'd oblige.

#GMSTRONG
A
Legend
Legend
A
j/c

Sounds to me that if she had worked for Hobby Lobby she'd have been better off. They pay for contraception PRIOR to getting pregnant, right?

Swish Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
the point is religious freedom opened up a can of worms.

Can't wait to hear what the masses say when Sharia Law starts poking it's head out.

/popcorn

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
Best of luck to her, I hope she finds the satisfaction she is looking for.

yebat' Putin
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Originally Posted By: Swish

Can't wait to hear what the masses say when Sharia Law starts poking it's head out.

/popcorn

How true, Sharia law and the rape and molestation of our youth that goes along with those beliefs. Interestingly, many of you said this would not happen in our country. It's simply a matter of time until we see whose line of thinking is accurate. As Americans, we need to understand Sharia law and be aware. It's coming to a city near you, erh, umm, it already has.

Couple these beliefs with the lack of personal accountability and "me" attitude and we have .....Houston, we have a problem.

#gmstrong
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Leaders to me are those who command respect, lead in a positive direction and are great thinkers with the betterment of the whole in mind.

#gmstrong
Swish Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Originally Posted By: Cjrae

/popcorn

How true, Sharia law and the rape and molestation of our youth that goes along with those beliefs. Interestingly, many of you said this would not happen in our country. It's simply a matter of time until we see whose line of thinking is accurate. As Americans, we need to understand Sharia law and be aware. It's coming to a city near you, erh, umm, it already has.

Couple these beliefs with the lack of personal accountability and "me" attitude and we have .....Houston, we have a problem.

sounds just like christianity to me. Ya know, catholic priest and cults and a lot of underage crap going on right here in America.

y'all can't even protect yourselves from your own religion. And yet i'm suppose to believe y'all can protect the country from Sharia Law?

good grief. Y'all so blinded by religion, that y'all just let your Arch Enemy roll on in, all in the name of religious freedom.

Good job. Got nobody but your christians selves to blame when this crap happens.

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
I cant wait till murdering innocent kids is illegal again. I drug dealer who has been busted 10 times gets murdered or kills himself by cops and people riot, while our own babies get murdered in this country by their own mothers and people stand and cheer. Excuse me while I go puke

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Legend
Legend
You're just so intolerant.

crazy

I find it appalling that people use the lives of innocent children as political capital, to be spent, and frankly, I find it just as revolting that some celebrate the fact that there are groups that want to increase the ability of women to kill their children.

That truly does make me sick, and I have to wonder how much longer the Good Lord will allow this garbage to go on. I do think that He is giving us time for as many as will to come to Him ..... one final chance ...... but I don't see how, with the way we have devolved in so many ways, that He will continue to allow this insanity to go on for much longer.

By the way, how are you doing GM?

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Swish Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
I know right?

I mean how sick does a religion have to be to exploit little boys in a complete massive coverup in one of the biggest religions in the world? I mean it's just crazy to think that Priest would take advantage of little boys and girls, in the name of Jesus, right?

your religion....all religion...smh.

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
I know right?

I mean how sick does a religion have to be to exploit little boys in a complete massive coverup in one of the biggest religions in the world? I mean it's just crazy to think that Priest would take advantage of little boys and girls, in the name of Jesus, right?

your religion....all religion...smh.

Well, I am not Catholic, so that really doesn't apply to me. Further, I do not support any of those actions, the cover up of those actions, and the fact that many of those men who either committed those vile acts, or helped hide them, continued in their jobs until public pressure became such that they were forced out.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

D
All Pro
All Pro
D
Swish, you're stereotyping 1 billion Christians based on a few dozen. That's how hate & phobia spreads. Those priests were also gay, doesn't mean we should do THIS:

sounds just like homosexuality to me. Ya know, homosexual priest and cults and a lot of underage crap going on right here in America.

y'all can't even protect yourselves from your own sexual orientation. And yet i'm suppose to believe y'all can protect the country from Sharia Law?

good grief. Y'all so blinded by homosexuality, that y'all just let your Arch Enemy roll on in, all in the name of sexual orientation freedom.

Good job. Got nobody but your homosexual selves to blame when this crap happens.

tsktsk

1st String
1st String
Has anyone here actually had a conversation with their deity? If so, who and what did they say to you?

D
All Pro
All Pro
D
Originally Posted By: Victor_Von_Doom
Has anyone here actually had a conversation with their deity? If so, who and what did they say to you?

Now that's getting philosophical. We'd have to define conversation from God's point-of-view. Some/All of our thoughts could be God Speech. Events or miracles could be speech. Lessons, Irony, etc. I don't think we can set those parameters.

It could be like a computer trying to evaluate life. If we can program them with "intelligence" it doesn't necessarily mean they will ever understand us or even believe in us. We might just be considered some zany, imaginary concept that is represented by 1s and 0s.

Legend
Legend

Yes, I have had a "conversation" with God.

When my doctor changed my pain medication for my back, I had a really, really bad reaction to it, and became suicidal.

I was almost ready to throw myself out of my 2nd story window onto my driveway, and I was crying and yelling at God, asking Him why He would do this to me, swearing, and a bunch of other stuff that was evidence of me not being in my right mind. I was almost gone, when I felt, not really heard, but more felt God speak to me, telling me to be calm, and that He was with me. It was incredibly powerful, and He brought immediate peace and a calm feeling on me. I would be dead today if it had not happened.

I have absolutely no doubt about the existence of God. I do not believe that anyone could have a similar experience and not be changed afterwards.

Swish Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
I got hit with an IED, and lived.

Still don't believe in a christian or muslim god.

- Theodore Roosevelt
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan

crazy

I find it appalling that people use the lives of innocent children as political capital, to be spent, and frankly, I find it just as revolting that some celebrate the fact that there are groups that want to increase the ability of women to kill their children.

That truly does make me sick, and I have to wonder how much longer the Good Lord will allow this garbage to go on. I do think that He is giving us time for as many as will to come to Him ..... one final chance ...... but I don't see how, with the way we have devolved in so many ways, that He will continue to allow this insanity to go on for much longer.

This was disgustingly intolerant and pointed. While we don't agree on a lot, I thought you were above this.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: CHSDawg

crazy

This was disgustingly intolerant and pointed. While we don't agree on a lot, I thought you were above this.

Intolerant that I see killing an unborn child as murder?

You bet I am that intolerant, and I am proud to be. If it comes to standing up for the lives of innocent babies, or championing their murder, then I will proudly stand up for their lives.

1st String
1st String
Now that's powerful. And a reason why I don't drink, smoke or take prescription drugs. Good to know you were able to fight through it.

Legend
Legend
Now that's powerful. And a reason why I don't drink, smoke or take prescription drugs. Good to know you were able to fight through it.

I didn't fight through it though. I couldn't. I was toast.

God saved me. I had nothing to do with it.

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Not worth.

Legend
Legend

crazy

This was disgustingly intolerant and pointed...

How so? If you're truly tolerant of one's belief that an unborn child is a human being, wouldn't you expect them to view abortion as murder...with the strong emotions associated with the willfull taking of a human life?

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Originally Posted By: Tulsa
She should just pray to the devil to kill the kid, I'm sure he'd oblige.

He'll get him eventually....as he always does....

I wish to wash my Irish wristwatch......
Legend
Legend
I am always amazed at the posters here who are all for slaughtering the innocent while standing on a table to fight for the right of men to have sex with each other and marry.
Moral confusion reigns.
Satan is winning.
Hell is overflowing with the wise.

Swish Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
please, you and some other's who call yourselves "christians" are anything but.

you're been on record saying you want to nuke the entire middle east, so save us your crap. you're a massive hypocrite and show anything but christian values over and over again. If jesus was alive now, and preached the same way he did back in the day, you would call him a socialist commie liberal, and a fraud for calling himself the son of god.

It's quite annoying seeing people claim christianity, yet act anything BUT.

And gay marriage?

How does it affect your rights?

it doesn't.

does it make your marriage gay?

no

does it make your question your sexuality?

no

does it make your car payment higher on the first of the month?

no.

gay marriage doesn't affect YOUR rights, just your opinion and bigotry. being an actual conservative and stay out of people's business.

- Theodore Roosevelt
S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S
If gays would just go home and live their lives, maybe their would be less conflict. Instead they have gay pride, gay games and all this other stuff where they keep throwing it peoples faces and then sue the pants off of anyone who doesn't approve of their life style.

You should be telling gays to mind their own business.

It's supposed to be hard! If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it great!
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Squires
If gays would just go home and live their lives, maybe their would be less conflict. Instead they have gay pride, gay games and all this other stuff where they keep throwing it peoples faces and then sue the pants off of anyone who doesn't approve of their life style.

You should be telling gays to mind their own business.

"If Blacks would just go home and live their lives, maybe their would be less lynchings. Instead, they have Black Pride parades, Trot their "leaders" out in front of the cameras, and then sue the pants off of anyone who doesn't approve of them. You should be telling Blacks to mind their own business ."

See how that works?

A simple change of just a couple words here or there.... and another entire community of Americans is dealt the same stacked deck.

They are American citizens.
They don't have the same rights as other American citizens.

So they took to the streets, fully exercising their rights as American citizens to 'peaceably assemble for a redress of grievances.'

...to get the rest of their legal rights. Rights that should have already been theirs as citizens- if it weren't for ingrained social bigotries and prejudices that have always forced them to live with less than the rest of us.

As an 'American of Color,' I've seen how attitudes like these have hampered my own neighbors and family members from achieving their realization of The American Dream. After personally witnessing such struggles, it would be hypocritical of me to now say that these other Americans aren't deserving of my support, as they work towards the same status that citizens like you (and now me) can afford to take for granted.

Gays did this because they had to. Just like Black folks did.

Nobody was listening when we (Af/Am's) whispered among ourselves. Nobody was listening when we started to speak out loud. Nobody listened until we began to shout... and wouldn't just 'go away to live quietly in our houses.'

America was built on protest, discussion, disagreement, debate... and change. Our constitution not only invites it- it REQUIRES it, as a basic tenet of "providing for a more perfect union."

-And it requires it of us, even if it makes some of us squeamish.

"too many notes, not enough music-"
Legend
Legend
Your perversion of the great struggle of the American Black Race for civil rights by comparing it to the rights of men to have sex with each other and marry is an insult to Blacks everywhere.
Comparing homosexual behavior to a group of people who's only transgression was to have darker skin than the majority is ridiculous. Most of the planet sees homosexual behavior as an abomination while most see skin color as no consideration at all.
Please stop with your cheapening of the Honorable cause of Black Civil Rights by comparing it to what the rest of the world sees as a sinful sex act.

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Clem, stop being an insult to black people from the view point of a white person!!!!!!!

Legend
Legend
Clem, stop being an insult to black people from the view point of a white person!!!!!!!

A typical CHSDawg reply, ignore the subject matter and the points made, dismiss it all with silly, snarky remarks. Twist the points of the Mexican gardener with a remark about his opinion not representing all Hispanics, which he never intended and dismiss the concerns of the White guy because he is not Black.
Typical when you have nothing to say, no educated reply. rolleyes

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: 40YEARSWAITING

A typical CHSDawg reply, ignore the subject matter and the points made, dismiss it all with silly, snarky remarks. Twist the points of the Mexican gardener with a remark about his opinion not representing all Hispanics, which he never intended and dismiss the concerns of the White guy because he is not Black.

Why bring up the fact that he was Mexican then? That seems like unneeded information... Unless he was suppose to talk for all minorities, which was your point. You framed your Mexican gardener as a spokesperson for minorities. And if we're talking about educated replies, who cares what your gardener thinks, he doesn't have a PhD in Sociology. He doesn't even have his B.S. in Sociology. How many accredited classes has he taken in Sociology?

I did not dismiss your concerns because you're white. I dismissed your "concerns" because you didn't have any. If you were to say, "I believe that nuclear fusion can occur in a water bottle." your viewpoint would be dismissed because you have no idea what you're talking about. Which you don't. You cannot talk on behalf of black people.

I'll also add you know nothing about the civil rights act that has occurred over the past century. The world still views Black people as degenerates. We haven't even made it 21 years until the end of apartheid. Racism is still going on in the world. In America, Europe, Asia and Oceania. All over the world people take skin color into consideration.

I hope you now understand why it's easier to dismiss your posts than to actually respond to them. Because it's easier to dismiss lies than it is to confront them.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: 40YEARSWAITING

Why bring up the fact that he was Mexican then? That seems like unneeded information... Unless he was suppose to talk for all minorities, which was your point. You framed your Mexican gardener as a spokesperson for minorities. And if we're talking about educated replies, who cares what your gardener thinks, he doesn't have a PhD in Sociology. He doesn't even have his B.S. in Sociology. How many accredited classes has he taken in Sociology?

What, you would rather I said I talked to some guy? I was talking to someone who came here as an immigrant and a person who is a minority so I thought it was important to his view on the issue. I never thought you would now dismiss him as just another dumb immigrant! I can assure you he knows more about life than you ever will.

Swish Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
there's 2 other threads to argue about race.

this one is to clown religion...again. lol.

Fact of the day: Jesus real name is Yashua, as the letter J wasn't evented until the 16th or 17th century...something like that.

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
there's 2 other threads to argue about race.

this one is to clown religion...again. lol.

Fact of the day: Jesus real name is Yashua, as the letter J wasn't evented until the 16th or 17th century...something like that.

And I doubt there were people running around then named Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, Paul, and Mary either... what's that matter?

Edit: I don't have a gardner, but if I did, she would be Swedish, and she would be hot.

Last edited by DCDAWGFAN; 05/04/15 03:26 PM.

yebat' Putin
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... Satanists Seize On Hobby Lobby To Test The Limit Of Religious Freedom

Link Copied to Clipboard