Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
LINK
By Dane Brugler | NFLDraftScout.com Senior Analyst

Cleveland Browns
For a team with a lot of needs, the Browns added a lot of pieces to their roster with 12 draft picks over the last three days. After temptation to possibly package picks for Oregon quarterback Marcus Mariota, Cleveland hoarded picks and ended up with 12 selections, including two “safe” players in the first round with nose tackle Danny Shelton and offensive lineman Cameron Erving. The Browns were very active with Pac-12 players (58-percent of their draft class) with Shelton, Utah pass rusher Nate Orchard, Washington State defensive tackle Xavier Cooper, Washington State wide receiver Vince Mayle, USC tight end Randall Telfer, USC linebacker Hayes Pullard and Oregon cornerback Ifo Ekpre-Olomu. That final pick is tremendous value for a first round player who is coming off a knee injury and likely needs a redshirt season as a NFL rookie. The Browns wound up with eight players who were on my final top-100 draft board.

More detail about the other teams in the article.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
What does Dane Burgler... rofl know?

J
All Pro
All Pro
J
excellent post.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: SuperBrown
What does Dane Burgler... rofl know?

I'm guessing more than a SuperBrown knows.

Just a hunch.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
These reviews are as useful as mock drafts or anything any of us post. Nobody really knows until these guys get on the field and start playing. Besides, if the Browns won the draft, where's the trophy? LMAO

The Browns finally have a leader in the building. It won't be long before Jim Schwartz is in charge. Thankfully.
E
Legend
Legend
E
Negatives or Positives...taken with a grain of salt. Usually these guys will give a good grade to a team that will have 5 picks in the top 100... They have no clue who is going to be good or bad.

Happy for getting the good grade I'm sure there will be plenty out there for us. I'm more happy cause we drafted a lot of Football players! Loved the draft!
jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
D
Legend
Legend
D
NFL Network poll says the Browns, again, came out on top over the other teams at 34%.

I'll wait until these kids get out in the field before I say we nailed it.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: The Beast
These reviews are as useful as mock drafts or anything any of us post. Nobody really knows until these guys get on the field and start playing. Besides, if the Browns won the draft, where's the trophy? LMAO

Seem to recall seeing plenty of judgemental posts from you on out draft .... so it's okay to bash the FO based on your opinion, but supply a little media support and suddenly it's pointless.

Yeah - I see how that works.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Originally Posted By: eotab

Happy for getting the good grade I'm sure there will be plenty out there for us. I'm more happy cause we drafted a lot of Football players! Loved the draft!
jmho

Surprisingly, it seems most "grades" are B- to C- with most saying the same things (1) didn't do anything about the QB and (2) didn't get a WR early.

My responses to those people would be (1) should the Browns overpay for a prospect or trade for a guy that won't sign a long term deal. Yes, the Browns need an upgrade, but common sense must be used (2) Decent WR corps last year and Hartline and Bowe are both now in the mix - was WR really the number one need, or even 2 or 3? I think not.

Farmer/Pettine is obviously building the team in the Ravens/Seahawks defense first mold, and the team got better (in theory) this draft, potentially a lot better.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
This sums up my opinion on draft grades pretty well:

Link

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I was unsure what grade to give, so I'll go pick by pick, considering personal value grade of the prospect, what was on the board and how Farmer ended up drafting from that pool:

12) NT Shelton C-

Player = C-
Value = C-

Not a Shelton fan obviously, but I have to admit that the pool to choose from wasn't good. That said, I do think that both NE at 32 (M.Brown) and Miami at 52 (J.Phillips) got a better NT prospect, so that really downgraded my personal value grade

19) OL Erving C-

Player = C-
Value = C-

He's a project at C, a jack of all trade, master of none at the moment.

51) OLB Orchard D

Player = D
Value = D
Trade = B

Liked the trade, but it was still the worst pick of the draft anyway I look at it. He looks and has the athleticsm of a SOLB (and that's being generous) but plays like a WOLB without having the play speed for it. A conversion project and tweener at that, yikes.

77) RB Duke Johnson A+

Player = A+
Value = A+

Cooper was the only player coming close to that value.

96) DL Xavier Cooper A+

Player = A+
Value = A+
Trade = A+

Best move and pick. Didn't give up much and got excellent value on a very good prospect, who has both a high ceiling and floor due to his plug and play pass rush ability thanks to his elite athleticism for the position.

115) SS I.Campbell B/B-

Player = C+
Value = B+

Campbell is a fine player and solid pick in the 4th. He was one of maybe 20 prospects I would have been ok with there and only had a handful as better values.

123 WR Mayle C-

Player = C-
Value = C-
Trade = B

Best part was the trade. There were better WR available. Greene was the value to get here.

189) CB Gaines C

Player = C
Value = C

AVG all around pick. There's some talent and upside left, but passing up on Gallik and Josh Robinson twice in that round will look really bad in a couple of years.

195+198) FB Johnson/TE Telfer

Can't comment on them

219) ILB Pullard C-/D+

Player = D
Value = C

I know it's only the 7th round round, but Pullard was the softest ILB I have ever seen. He's a pure nickel/coverage LB. Won't stick in the NFL due to lack of physicality

241) CB Ifo Ekpre-Olomu A+

Player = A+
Value = A+

The docs have probably written him off and the cynic in me says this maybe was Farmer trying to collect points with the fanbase by picking a former stud prospect. Why didn't he secure him earlier? He had 4 picks in the 6th/7th before this one. Love the pick, but let's be honest. He would have been picked much higher in a weak draft if there was any chance he could play again. Those types normally go between the 3rd and 5th round, not towards the end of the 7th. If there is a 1% chance, this was worth the pick

Overall, if my math was right, this is a C. If you weigh the the top picks more, it's more of a C-

Last edited by DjangoBrown; 05/03/15 09:33 PM.

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
By my basic standard grading scale....that's a B- draft.

you had a good run Hank.
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
I get you might not like a player, and grade it down. But I don't understand your theory of value. Shelton was in play for the bears, and Erving top rated center prospect predicted to go early 20's. So to say they are C- value just doesn't make sense.

But as usual, grades now really mean nothing. We will look at it in three years and see how things shake out.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I gave this draft a solid B+ but the only pick i really hated was the Gaines pickup. I thought he was horrible and should have gone undrafted. I dont think he will even make the practice squad with the depth and talent we do have in the secondary.

Johnson probably wont make the team either but fans will love the guy. he can do it all and thats adds value to him but he doesnt really stand out at anything.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Mourgrym
Johnson probably wont make the team either but fans will love the guy. he can do it all and thats adds value to him but he doesnt really stand out at anything.
Are you talking about Duke Johnson, RB taken in the 3rd, or Malcolm Johnson, TE taken in the 6th?

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
Legend
Legend
As with all drafts this one gets a grade of INC. get back with me in 3 years

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
^^^ The voice of truth.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I gave this draft a solid B+ but the only pick i really hated was the Gaines pickup. I thought he was horrible and should have gone undrafted. I dont think he will even make the practice squad with the depth and talent we do have in the secondary.

I thought the Gaines pickup was horrible as well, but moreso because what are you picking there? You're hoping this guys can beat out last year's #8 overall pick and last year's fourth rounder for the fourth or fifth corner spot on your team when you have starting-quality tight ends (O'Leary and Derby) and cnotributing wideouts (Goodley, Harper, Titus Davis, etc.) available?

Then the kicker was drafting IEO in the 7th. I love IEO, but it just pushes Gaines even further down the depth chart and made me hate the pick even more.

But then, at least we saved all of our screw ups for Day 3.

Last edited by clevesteve; 05/04/15 09:03 AM.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: GMdawg

I agree - what we can do and what we actually do when we grade these drafts immediately, is grade according to how much we like the draft - or how the talent stacks up in our evaluation ... which of course has zero connection to what they will eventually do on Sundays in the NFL.

I liked the draft for several reasons. I would certainly have taken a WR sooner - and I wouldn't have taken a RB. However - the RB we did take, I like more and more based on what I see and read.

People down on Shelton because of a perception he isn't a 3 down player .... pffft. With the amount of rotation Pettine likes, I think that doesn't matter one little bit ... and I am not convinced he is only a 2 down player. Can't wait to see these guys on the team ... and I am really interested to see if Shelton and Erving look as big standing next to our players as they did at the draft. Course it's more important how they play - but if they can play and are that size, it creates all sorts of issues for opponents.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:
Then the kicker was drafting IEO in the 7th. I love IEO, but it just pushes Gaines even further down the depth chart and made me hate the pick even more.

Good point. I was thinking the same thing last night. I don't understand the Gaines pick. Would have like to see O'Leary there. I know Pettine likes his CBs but we got a ton now. As much as I like IEO, I doubt he sees much time this year.

Maybe they're really high on Housler....I'm not.

Tackles are tackles.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Duke will be a major contributor. Malcomb Johnson is gonna have a very hard time making this roster.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
That's what I thought, just wanted to make sure, thanks.

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
M
Legend
Legend
M
Some Tony Grossi tweets:

Quote:
Grossi: I think the Shelton pick also is insurance with Phil Taylor. He is in his last year. Also, he's 330 pounds with a knee issue #Browns

I disagree. To me there is no "insurance" about it nor should there be. Shelton was drafted to be the NT of the future as long as we run a 3-4. You don't draft someone @ 12 as a backup plan to someone else, if that is what he means by "insurance". Side note: it would be kinda cool to see Shelton and Taylor as DTs in a 4-3.

Quote:
Grossi: I would think Erving will compete at guard this year. It would be too much on a rookie to make him do both guard and tackle #Browns

I agree. Best case scenario is he starts at right guard, IMO. But that won't be easy. Long term- he'll plug in just about anywhere and be a long term start. This is one of my favorite picks, FWIW.

Quote:
Grossi: The Nate Orchard pick tells me the #Browns don't feel Mingo can be a legitimate NFL pass rusher.

On the surface, I would agree. But no matter what, this team needs more pass rush options, even if the pick is primarily an indictment on Mingo.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend

Well, they are talking "on paper" and with that as a frame to work within, they did well.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Damanshot

Well, they are talking "on paper" and with that as a frame to work within, they did well.

Kiper basically admitted this morning that his draft grades are weighted to "need"... you could draft all potentially great football players but if you don't draft in the positions he thinks you needed, your grade will go down.

yebat' Putin
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Memphis, I agree. In today's NFL, you can't play one guy an entire game and be effective. Most successful teams create a rotation and multi-formations. IMO, having Shelton and Taylor gives you solid DTs playing either a 3-4, 2-5, or 4-3.

Nice thing about Orchard he can potentially play both SOLB and WOLB. On passing downs, having both Orchard and Mingo will make life tough on QB.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I have been pleasantly surprised to see some positive articles about the Brown's draft. It would be great if Farmer nailed it.

I really don't get not taking a WR though. And I would have loved to have Jack's grandson on the team. I think that guy can play. He reminds me of Dallas Clark.

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
I have been pleasantly surprised to see some positive articles about the Brown's draft. It would be great if Farmer nailed it.

I really don't get not taking a WR though. And I would have loved to have Jack's grandson on the team. I think that guy can play. He reminds me of Dallas Clark.

I'm not going to get into a big ol'debate simply because I don't have facts, so it is basically how I perceive it to be. But, you honestly think Browns offense today and provided either QB appears average cannot create a balance attack? Browns are still one dimensional and most teams can single/zone coverage Browns receivers?

I'm not talking playoffs. Potentially you feel this team can't be average. Average being 8-8 or 9-7.

I am seeing numbers. We've added Bowe to replace Austin...wash. Adding Heartline I think creates concern for defenses.

I get we need a better receiver for a playoff run, but you also need a base to support too. The thought Gordon returning would simplify things.

Legend
Legend

I'm not sure I want to see anyone grade on this:

First round: Trent Richardson, RB, Alabama. The Browns traded three picks to move up for Richardson, who scored 24 touchdowns in 2011. The Browns scored 20 on offense last season.

First round: Brandon Weeden, QB, Oklahoma State. Cleveland didn't want to risk losing him, so it drafted the 28-year-old quarterback late in the first round instead of early in the second.

Second round: Mitchell Schwartz, OT, Cal. He was considered the best right tackle prospect in the draft.

Third round: John Hughes, NT, Cincinnati. He gives the Browns depth behind starters Ahtyba Rubin and Phil Taylor.

Fourth round: Travis Benjamin, WR, Miami. Small but quick, Benjamin can play slot receiver and contribute on returns.

Fourth round: James-Michael Johnson, LB, Nevada. He's a versatile linebacker (can play inside or outside) who will make an impact on special teams.

Fifth round: Ryan Miller, OL, Colorado. A projected backup who can play guard or tackle.

Sixth round: Emmanuel Acho, LB, Texas. Leading tackler for Texas last season lacks range for NFL starter.

Sixth round: Billy Winn, DL, Boise State. Questionable work ethic caused this middle-round prospect to fall.

Seventh round: Trevin Wade, CB, Arizona. A finesse cover man who projects to be a nickel back.

Seventh round: Brad Smelley, FB-TE, Alabama. A hybrid player on offense who needs to contribute on special teams to stick around.

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
V
Legend
Legend
V
I give the FO some praise, but some of you simply cannot handle any questioning of things w/out becoming upset.

Who the HELL said anything about playoffs? Why can't I say that we should have drafted O'Leary over Gaines? How does that really upset you?

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Duke will be a major contributor. Malcomb Johnson is gonna have a very hard time making this roster.

I actually think that Malcomb Johnson is uniquely positioned to make the team. We don't have a FB on the roster. So you could carry him there without disrupting the TE depth. There isn't anyone on the current roster slated to fill Flip's "F" position. The way this guy was used at Miss St. he's demonstrated the skills Flip describes for this role.

I won't pretend to know what his making the team will do to other guys on the roster. I do think Flip wants the combination of skills Johnson has displayed in his offense. We'll have to wait and see.

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
I give the FO some praise, but some of you simply cannot handle any questioning of things w/out becoming upset.

Who the HELL said anything about playoffs? Why can't I say that we should have drafted O'Leary over Gaines? How does that really upset you?

You directing this at me? I was asking about receivers.

Legend
Legend
I actually like what I have read and seen about this Mayle kid we took in the 4th. He is a really raw talent, but he also has performance on his resume. He has really good skills, and measurables, and I have really great hopes for him.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg

I'm not sure I want to see anyone grade on this:

First round: Trent Richardson, RB, Alabama. The Browns traded three picks to move up for Richardson, who scored 24 touchdowns in 2011. The Browns scored 20 on offense last season.

First round: Brandon Weeden, QB, Oklahoma State. Cleveland didn't want to risk losing him, so it drafted the 28-year-old quarterback late in the first round instead of early in the second.

Second round: Mitchell Schwartz, OT, Cal. He was considered the best right tackle prospect in the draft.

Third round: John Hughes, NT, Cincinnati. He gives the Browns depth behind starters Ahtyba Rubin and Phil Taylor.

Fourth round: Travis Benjamin, WR, Miami. Small but quick, Benjamin can play slot receiver and contribute on returns.

Fourth round: James-Michael Johnson, LB, Nevada. He's a versatile linebacker (can play inside or outside) who will make an impact on special teams.

Fifth round: Ryan Miller, OL, Colorado. A projected backup who can play guard or tackle.

Sixth round: Emmanuel Acho, LB, Texas. Leading tackler for Texas last season lacks range for NFL starter.

Sixth round: Billy Winn, DL, Boise State. Questionable work ethic caused this middle-round prospect to fall.

Seventh round: Trevin Wade, CB, Arizona. A finesse cover man who projects to be a nickel back.

Seventh round: Brad Smelley, FB-TE, Alabama. A hybrid player on offense who needs to contribute on special teams to stick around.

D

We got one starter, two good d-linemen and a returner that can play a litter wr

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
E
Legend
Legend
E
And I would have loved to have Jack's grandson on the team. I think that guy can play. He reminds me of Dallas Clark.

He dropped pretty far down his talent is OK but I really wanted us to take him somewhere cause Jack N was a golf hero of mine. He didn't miss one game of his Grandsons in college so it would have been cool having him at all our games!

jmho

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I'm not exactly thrilled about our day three players except for the kid from Oregon, I think when he's healthy he'll end up being a huge steal. I remember REALLY wanting Burfict a few years ago when he dropped into the 6th round a few years back, and all afternoon Saturday I was hoping we would take this kid.

Danny Shelton. As of now I'm grading this pick an A+. Our run defense was 32nd last year. Phil Taylor cannot stay healthy, and we lost A. Rubin to free agency. This is a safe pick, maybe not sexy, but safe. He won't contribute much rushing the passer, but his impact in run defense should be felt right away.

Cameron Erving. As of now I'm grading this pick a B-. I'll even admit I was hoping for a wide receiver or pass rusher at #19, but I don't think you can ever go wrong with offensive line. The only reason I don't grade him higher is because I have no idea which position he'll even play. I'm hoping he can beat out Schwartz and effectively play RT.

Nate Orchard. As of now I'm grading this pick a C+. I love his college production but his film and size don't look super encouraging. I have to hope the kid will surprise us and have a crazy motor. I'll be honest I really thought Jaelen Strong was our pick here.

Duke Johnson. As of now I'm grading this pick an A+. He gives us another weapon in the backfield, he's a good pass catcher, and can return kicks and punts right away. This was a really good value pick.

Xavier Cooper. As of now I'm grading this pick a B+. I was glad to see us move up for another stud defensive lineman. This gives us a ton of quality depth, and with everyone back healthy next year I see no reason why our run defense shouldn't be in the top 12, at least.

I'm not grading the day three picks, because I don't expect any of them to start or contribute much right away. I also don't know a whole lot about any of them except the kid from Oregon in the 7th round was a projected 1st/2nd rounder before his injury.

I liked this draft.

I give it a very solid B+.

We addressed the trenches, which is where games are won.

Had we taken a solid receiver earlier than the 4th round, I would have given this an A+ draft. I'm excited about it though.

"You can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave"
E
Legend
Legend
E
Day three guys:
1. Camp fodder can prove themselves with the opportunity.
2. If on the roster will be due to special teams.
3. Odd of making the team are very little due to our bottom of the barrel getting better.

4th rounders should have a more odds to stick and possibly become depth. 5th the same just a little less odds. Work on their possible upside if not reaching potential not a major loss of investment.
jmho

jmho

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

2015 Draft in Review: Cleveland Browns

The NFL draft is over and it suddenly seems like a long time to wait for the next meaningful event on the NFL calendar. But frankly we’re still excited trying to break down what it all means for each team and so we’re going to share some of that excitement.

With 12 picks, the Cleveland Browns had enough ammo to address a number of positions while adding a stack of talent and competition to their roster. They focused on the defensive front seven early while adding tight ends and defensive backs late. How did they do?

Round 1: Danny Shelton, DI, Washington
Grade: A
A disruptive force and more mobile than you might expect at his size, Shelton was an easy choice for the Browns to improve their defensive line in both facets. Only one player at the position had more than Shelton’s 50 defensive stops (and that player went Top 10), while he finished with the sixth-highest overall grade.

Depth Chart Fit: Day 1 starter.

Round 1: Cameron Erving, OL, FSU
Grade: B-
Spent time at both tackle and center last season, so it’s probably reasonable to assume he also fits at guard. Ervin is a fluid athlete with great hand use, consistently getting the first punch on defensive lineman. Really stood out in run blocking with an exceptional finish to the season against Georgia Tech and in the playoffs versus Oregon.

Depth Chart Fit: Has Alex Mack in front of him at center, but could compete for early snaps at guard.

Round 2: Nate Orchard, ED, Utah

Grade: B
Extremely productive in run defense with 52 stops, a figure that led all edge defenders in this class. Also good as a pass rusher where he gave Andrus Peat particular trouble against Stanford and few players matched his 55 combined pressures (60 including the senior bowl). But he didn’t grade as well as the pressure count might indicate with many coming either unblocked or cleanup.

Depth Chart Fit: Behind Barkevious Mingo and Paul Kruger at OLB, so probably more of a sub-package player early on.

Round 3: Duke Johnson, RB, Miami
Cleveland bolstered its backfield with this pick, taking a player who finished with the third-highest grade at the position. Johnson has home run ability if he makes it to the second level, which was evident by his fifth-ranked 50.3% Breakaway Percentage, leading to 826 of his 1,641 rushing yards. Should also contribute as a receiver; he forced more missed tackles in the passing game (15) than any other back in this class.

Depth Chart Fit: In contention for immediate playing time. Should at least see snaps on third down.

Round 3: Xavier Cooper, DI, Washington State
More than 50 defensive interior players finished with a better overall grade, but Cooper displayed a very quick first step to beat blockers, though he had trouble finishing at times and lacked the hands to effectively counter. Still managed the fourth-best Pass Rushing Productivity rating against Power 5 opponents at 9.0.

Depth Chart Fit: Backup on early downs, but could see sub-package snaps.

Round 4: Ibraheim Campbell, S, Northwestern
Box safety who was a solid run defender with a fairly low missed tackle count – Campbell graded negatively there just once last season against Illinois. Also got his hands on a combined five passes in coverage to finish slightly positive against the pass, though it’s not his strong suit after surrendering a catch on more than 60% of passes thrown his way.

Depth Chart Fit: Backup behind Donte Whitner.

Round 4: Vince Mayle, WR, Washington State
Good athlete with the production to match after catching 106 passes last season (only three players in this class had more). And no receiver was more elusive than Mayle after forcing 26 missed tackles. Unfortunately, he had huge issues catching the ball as his 19 drops led the position by a mile. Whether that’s correctable will determine how much time he gets among a thin group of receivers in Cleveland.

Depth Chart Fit: Likely in the mix for immediate playing time.

Round 6: Charles Gaines, CB, Louisville
Graded positively in coverage in all but two games (Georgia, Florida State), while surrendering a catch on less than 50% of targets and getting his hands on seven passes. Average grade in run defense, though he’s a good tackler after missing just three last season.

Depth Chart Fit: Rarely played in slot at Louisville, so behind at least Justin Gilbert and Joe Haden at outside corner.

Round 6: Malcolm Johnson, TE, Mississippi State
Versatile player who lined up all over the formation at Mississippi State, though spent most of his snaps inline. As a receiver, only four players caught a higher percentage of passes thrown his way and Johnson had at least 10 more targets than any of them without a single drop. Also fared well in screen and run blocking.

Depth Chart Fit: With Jordan Cameron gone, should have a chance to compete for early playing time.

Round 6: Randall Telfer, TE, USC
The Browns clearly viewed tight end as a weak spot on their roster in taking both Johnson in Telfer in the sixth round. Telfer graded extremely well as a run blocker, ranking fifth against Power 5 teams, with particular success against Oregon State and Colorado. Had similar production to Johnson as a receiver, though three drops and less than 10 yards per reception saw him grade negatively there.

Depth Chart Fit: Similar case to Johnson, though Telfer will likely provide more value as a run blocker than receiver.

Round 7: Hayes Pullard, LB, USC
A player we expected to go off the board much earlier, Pullard had one of the best run defense grades among draft eligible ILBs, though needs to become more aggressive between the tackles. A fluid athlete as well which should translate to coverage in the NFL.

Depth Chart Fit: Backup to start and has the skills to contribute on special teams.

Round 7: Ifo Ekpre-Olomu, CB, Oregon
While we liked his teammate Troy Hill a bit more, there’s no denying that Ekpre-Olomu has the ability if he can overcome his injury issues. He displayed excellent change of direction, challenging receivers at the catch point while getting his hands on 10 passes (eight pass defenses, two interceptions). Also a willing tackler, though with nine missed tackles his size might limit his effectiveness somewhat.

Depth Chart Fit: Outside corner in competition behind Joe Haden.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/05/01/2015-draft-in-review-cleveland-browns/

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PFF
he had huge issues catching the ball as his 19 drops led the position by a mile.

that's insane. It's crazy the guys we passed over for Mayle.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: PFF

Round 4: Vince Mayle, WR, Washington State
Good athlete with the production to match after catching 106 passes last season (only three players in this class had more). And no receiver was more elusive than Mayle after forcing 26 missed tackles.

Depth Chart Fit: Likely in the mix for immediate playing time.

I understand the proclivity of Browns' fan to focus on the negatives, but the kid has some upside. I've seen several different numbers for his amount of drops, and have seen a fair number of lousy throws he had to try to adjust to. I've seen him make great catches, and after the catch DBs bounce off him like he's a power back. Will he pan out? Only time will tell.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2015 NFL Season The NFL Draft 2015 NFLDraftScout.com - Draft winners & losers: Browns, Falcons, Chiefs nailed it

Link Copied to Clipboard