Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
for years we have been clamoring for a FOP / Coach staff that had a plan... this draft seemed organized and consistent... the markings of having a plan and executing it.

It seems some want a plan but if it doesn't mesh with theirs then the whole needs to be blown up.

I wasn't completely happy with this draft, there were some decisions made I did not agree with... but again it seems they are executing their plan.. I for one would like to allow this group an opportunity to finish, something some seem hell bent to not allow.

And don't counter with the plan is not working... that's a cop out.. its painfully obvious this is a work in progress and far from finished.

#gmstrong

A smart person knows what to say.

A wise person knows whether or not to say it.
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: SuperBrown
Is there really a need to go into all the veteran and rookie prospects?
But, here goes...
Houston's Mallett
Tampa Bay's Glennon
Philly's Sanchez...Do I have to go on?
College...
Hundley UCLA
Petty Baylor......etc.....

would have loved mallet.

being a browns fan is like taking your dog to vet every week to be put down...
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: pblack18707
But, here goes...
Houston's Mallett
Tampa Bay's Glennon
College...
Hundley UCLA

would have loved mallet.

me too, what do you think about Glennon?

#gmstrong

A smart person knows what to say.

A wise person knows whether or not to say it.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
We will see if this was´his last draft for the Browns. Fair or not, any GM's career is tied to the 1st round QB he drafts. Farmer took Manziel and he will probably sink or swim with him.

If I had to bet, I'd say yes, it was his last. Another season below .500 won't make Jimmy happy, especially if the QB position looks like a black hole as usual

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: texaslostdawg
But, here goes...
Houston's Mallett
Tampa Bay's Glennon
College...
Hundley UCLA

would have loved mallet.

me too, what do you think about Glennon?

i dont know. offhand he got benched for mccown right? and i did watch mccowns games so.....

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Farmer didn't take Manziel, the Browns took Manziel. I'm inclined to believe the pick was a consensus among all of the decision makers. Most importantly, Haslam and inclusive of Pettine. This is my opinion of how Manziel was selected.

What I absolutely do not believe that is that Farmer selected Manziel without at minimum the owners approval.

I'm open to considering any concrete evidence to the contrary.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: Millcreek Dawg
Well it looks like Vegas isn't excited about Farmer's draft, they just lowered the over/under wins for the Browns from 6 to 5 1/2.

I'll take the under.

The Browns finally have a leader in the building. It won't be long before Jim Schwartz is in charge. Thankfully.
P
Legend
Legend
P
I'll take the over, that is if I were a betting man ... thumbsup

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: The Beast
Well it looks like Vegas isn't excited about Farmer's draft, they just lowered the over/under wins for the Browns from 6 to 5 1/2.

I'll take the under.

I'm guessing people that share your opinion are the reason the line dropped.

Meanwhile, I'll take the over. 6-10 is attainable, 11-5 is not outside the realm of possibility.

...Definitely wouldn't bet on that last one, though.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
C
Legend
Legend
C
Is he doing to die or something?

Legend
Legend
Farmer again is showing he has no ability in gauging value or acquiring the best available prospect by position. I would think by next year, if Farmer is still the Browns GM, Haslam will have to decide if he gives Farmer total control of the draft again. I am grading this draft as a C-. The entire division out-drafted Farmer again.

Read this. Link to a thread on here

You say C-, they say he nailed it.

While nobody really knows anything at this point, I'd believe him a bit more at this point. To your question, no, this won't be his last draft.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Well one thing's for certain we can't possibly need to draft anything other than a WR or TE next season. I hope there will be one worth taking

You can't fix stupid but you can destroy ignorance. When you destroy ignorance you remove the justifications for evil. If you want to destroy evil then educate our people. Hate is a tool of the stupid to deal with what they can't understand.
All Pro
OP Offline
All Pro
Originally Posted By: Razorthorns
Well one thing's for certain we can't possibly need to draft anything other than a WR or TE next season. I hope there will be one worth taking

I guess your assuming JM steps it up? I revised my grade on this draft from a C- TO B after studying stats on all picks and judging relevance of the first 2 picks and the running back. I hope we have established stability.

GO BROWNS!
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
... I revised my grade on this draft from a C- TO B after...

I give you full credit for being open-minded and the willingness to change your opinion based on something other than emotion... thumbsup

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
Legend
Legend
Farmer again is showing he has no ability in gauging value or acquiring the best available prospect by position. I would think by next year, if Farmer is still the Browns GM, Haslam will have to decide if he gives Farmer total control of the draft again. I am grading this draft as a C-. The entire division out-drafted Farmer again.

I am going to keep this short and sweet like me. The answer is HELL NO tsktsk

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000490553/article/winners-from-the-2015-nfl-draft

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
E
Legend
Legend
E

1. thank you for your grade
2. My grade is higher - I think it was pretty safe and calculated draft. Farmer isn't going anywhere.

Frankly I have no clue where you are getting your claim from you didn't bother to say why you think what you think. I see somebody who wanted - oh I don't know what... a WR earlier?

3. We will see these players develop...some will be cut - I doubt we keep all 12 on the roster. some will go on practice squad.
But your knee jerk reaction really has no logic behind it. well I guess you agreed on the quick reaction or over reaction.

Almost every pick we made came with a Mayock..."One of my favorite guys" - usually his statement for "FOOTBALL PLAYER"

We got mostly Hard workers who want to succeed in the NFL and work toward that success. All season I heard complaints about some of our rookies not putting in that work...btw the two with the most complaints seem to have turned that around! But we didn't take all the fastest play best in shorts guys. They all seem to be football players.

One thing - KUDOS to our PAC 12 Scout he got a lot of respect from our Staffs (Scouting n Coaching) - I cannot remember a draft that we took 2 - This year we took 7! SEVEN!

Lot of pieces to the puzzle guys - I'm curious on the TE not on any boards...NFL comments just said something cause they have to - stating he's our blocking TE...obviously our next pick states blocking TE. This kid might be a sleeper catching passes! Or is he our new FB?

Last edited by eotab; 05/03/15 08:19 AM.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: ddubia
Originally Posted By: GraffZ06

Dude, eat a Snickers.

This draft might suck (most things associated with this org do) but give me a break.

Unless you were trying to be irrationally funny....in which case bravo.

Imitating the dismal posts I see on here. Thanks for the bravo.

I'll take that Snickers though. wink

LOL you had me going for a moment DDub

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
All Pro
OP Offline
All Pro
I noticed the PAC 12 picks, next year it's QB time if JM is mediocre.

Last edited by Millcreek Dawg; 05/03/15 12:58 PM.

GO BROWNS!
M
Legend
Legend
M
But, here goes...
Houston's Mallett
Tampa Bay's Glennon
College...
Hundley UCLA

would have loved mallet.

Mallet is going to get out performed by Hoyer in my opinion - who I believe you were not a fan of. Go figure.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Stating that I think Farmer will be gone after this year probably won't depend much on this draft. I actually think this was a fairly smart draft. He addressed one if not the biggest weakness in the run defense. I think his job was lost when he decided not to resign Hoyer. Now I didn't even like Hoyer that much because I don't think he was ever going to lead this team to the playoffs or get that much better than he was. I do think he could have at least bought Farmer another year. It will be the ugliness at QB that will ultimately lead to Haslam bringing in yet another GM.

Congratulations to our 2016 NBA Champion CLEVELAND CAVALIERS!!! Greatest comeback in sports history... Hail to the King!

The great QB guru and the Moneyball group: 1-15
Record of Criminal Haslam owned Browns: 20-60 (0.250)
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: mgh888
But, here goes...
Houston's Mallett
Tampa Bay's Glennon
College...
Hundley UCLA

would have loved mallet.

Mallet is going to get out performed by Hoyer in my opinion - who I believe you were not a fan of. Go figure.

not a fan of hoyer? not a fan of mallet? i dont know where you got that from. i thought we should have kept hoyer. whats more in my perfect world we should have brought mallet in too lol. let johnny and those two fight it out for starting. would have been a true competion lol

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: WhatCanBrownDo4U
Stating that I think Farmer will be gone after this year probably won't depend much on this draft. I actually think this was a fairly smart draft. He addressed one if not the biggest weakness in the run defense. I think his job was lost when he decided not to resign Hoyer. Now I didn't even like Hoyer that much because I don't think he was ever going to lead this team to the playoffs or get that much better than he was. I do think he could have at least bought Farmer another year. It will be the ugliness at QB that will ultimately lead to Haslam bringing in yet another GM.

Nothing involving Brian Hoyer is relevant to the Browns at this time. Ray Farmer's future with the organization will in no way be determined by how Brian Hoyer's affiliation with team was handled. Its more likely but still not certain that Johnny Manziel's presence on the team will affect Farmer's future.

Legend
Legend
History says that if Farmer was trying to "save his job" then he would of traded whatever Tennessee or Tampa wanted for one of the Top QBs..

The fact that they didnt gives me hope that we will get multiple years of a consistent system from top to bottom..

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
R
Legend
Legend
R
My own personal speculation is that Haslam has given both Farmer and Pettine assurances that they are going to get time. They act and talk that way more than any other regime. And Haslam isn't a dummy. He knows there are two main differences between his team and the other three teams in the AFC North - QB and continuity. He has control right now to solve the continuity puzzle and then give these guys time to solve the QB issue. If he blows it up, it's back to square one. I think Haslam is smarter than that.

I also think that these guys are learning from their mistakes. We didn't hear a peep from or about Haslam all weekend. I think he turned these guys loose to do their job.

Like I said in another thread Farmer was the most relaxed I've ever seen in that post draft presser.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: guard dawg
Originally Posted By: WhatCanBrownDo4U

Nothing involving Brian Hoyer is relevant to the Browns at this time. Ray Farmer's future with the organization will in no way be determined by how Brian Hoyer's affiliation with team was handled. Its more likely but still not certain that Johnny Manziel's presence on the team will affect Farmer's future.

I think you misunderstood me. It's not because of Hoyer, it's because of the extra wins that we gave away with him. I don't see this team getting more than 4 wins this year with the current QBs and with Hoyer I believe we had a chance for at least 7. That's not gonna sit well at all with our knee jerk owner.

Legend
Legend

Clearly a defense that couldn't stop a high school team from running the ball and a team who had a decent offense until the loss of one OL caused the whole thing to collapse should have drafted a WR, a TE, a pass rusher, or maybe mortgaged the whole thing for a QB with ??????? .. you know, the sexy pics.

Maybe, just maybe, Farmer drafted for the long term health and building of this franchise. Perhaps this draft wasn't 100% about winning an extra game next year but about building a foundation.

In reality, this board cracks me up. 11 months out of the year, any thread on draft strategy will get almost unanimous support for the BPA philosophy and building from the inside out.... that is except for a couple weeks before the draft and shortly thereafter... then it's all about "We needed a WR, why didn't we take one?" "We needed a TE, why didn't we take one?" "We need a QB, why didn't we trade 10 picks to get one?"

If Shelton is as advertised and Erving is a very solid versatile OL... and if Farmer has as much success in later rounds as he had last year, then this was an awesome draft.

yebat' Putin
T
Legend
Legend
T
Even if the team only wins 3 games. Unless we see double digit losses continually, I think they'd be smart,

well if they kept the GM, and Head Coach, it would show a level of stability not seen since Crennel or before.

And What's the worst that can happen, they don't win in 15-16, or 16-17, Face it we're used to it.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
Legend
Quote:
In reality, this board cracks me up. 11 months out of the year, any thread on draft strategy will get almost unanimous support for the BPA philosophy and building from the inside out.... that is except for a couple weeks before the draft and shortly thereafter... then it's all about "We needed a WR, why didn't we take one?" "We needed a TE, why didn't we take one?" "We need a QB, why didn't we trade 10 picks to get one?"

Re-printed for truth.
thumbsup

Well-said.

I hope these guys are here for at least 5 years. If they are given the time to build, develop, and yes- make a few mistakes along the way, they have a very good chance of putting a 1.5 decades of futility and losing behind us.

To date, every trick in the book has been tried. The only thing that hasn't been tried is the book's first chapter:

"Building An NFL Team: The Foundation"

BOOM.

"too many notes, not enough music-"

#GMStong
C
Legend
Legend
C
If Haslam fires Pettine and/or Farmer, we are going to be an Al Davis type situation. No legitimate coaching candidate will want to coach our team and we will end up with someone like Lane Kiffin, Tom Cable, or Hue Jackson.

Legend
Legend
Quote:
To date, every trick in the book has been tried. The only thing that hasn't been tried is the book's first chapter:

"Building An NFL Team: The Foundation"

Isn't it also printed on the inside cover as a common sense assumption that in order to build anything, the builder must be given more than 2 years? thumbsup

yebat' Putin
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

No one is in the position to tell definitively if Farmer has the ability to correctly select players to fulfill the needs of the team.

What should be questioned is his ability to correctly identify and prioritize the needs of the team. That is a more fundamental question and the one that is of greater concern to me right now.

I am pretty sure that Farmer will have a couple more years to build the team, because of the turnover that occurred in the past.

This team has been too quick to change the GM, and that is part of the problem. I don't think that Farmer's position is at risk right now.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The more fundamental question is what in the hell was he doing from round 2 and on????????????

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: Clemdawg

I hope these guys are here for at least 5 years.

In the history of the Cleveland Browns EVERY SINGLE COACH WHO WAS GIVEN 5 YEARS HAD US IN THE PLAYOFFS. EVERY ONE!

It was true then and it's true now: Ya gotta give a guy a chance to finish what he started.

Modell created the mind-set in the fans that, under the new coach, THE TEAM MUST VASTLY IMPROVE IN HIS SECOND YEAR OR HE NEEDS REPLACED.

Coaches have been replaced in Cleveland every 2-1/2 years for so long that 85% OF THE FANS HAVE COME TO NOT ONLY EXPECT IT BUT DEMAND IT BE DONE.

Even though it never works, the fans still believe there's some coach/regime out there who can provide the magic. They've been reaching for that pie-in-the-sky dream of "instant success" for the past 15 years since our return.

We could have had a perennial playoff team 10 years ago if the owner/fans would just give a regime a chance to build a team.

It's so obvious it doesn't even need an analogy.

#gmstrong
All Pro
OP Offline
All Pro
For what it's worth, Mel Kiper gave the Brown's draft a rating of B (safe and solid).

GO BROWNS!
Legend
Legend
Yes.....I'll go as far as saying this could turn out to be one of our best draft years yet.

Happy Birthday DC

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: ChargerDawg

No one is in the position to tell definitively if Farmer has the ability to correctly select players to fulfill the needs of the team.

What should be questioned is his ability to correctly identify and prioritize the needs of the team. That is a more fundamental question and the one that is of greater concern to me right now.

I am pretty sure that Farmer will have a couple more years to build the team, because of the turnover that occurred in the past.

This team has been too quick to change the GM, and that is part of the problem. I don't think that Farmer's position is at risk right now.

Is that not a function/responsibilty of the coaching staff, not Farmer?

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
2nd String
2nd String
I love what Farmer is doing for this team, despite what many of you all want...Win the Super Bowl NOW...It doesn't work that way.

Some want a QB to come in and save the day..

Some want a team built so the QB is irrelevant..

Some want a team built so when we draft a relevant QB, the team is ready for him to lead..

Well, imho, Farmer has addressed all three of these theories.

What he did, again, imho, is draft the QB of the future in Johnny Manziel. I don't think for a minute anyone wanted him to start until he was ready to lead a ready team. Unfortunately, the natives got restless when Hoyer started falling apart having delusions of grandeur. This team was not ready for anyone to lead it last year. Not because we didn't have a capable team, but because the roster wasn't complete with capable backups to finish off a season.

What Farmer has done, is, in year one, he found the QB to save the day and began to build the foundation for a team to help make the QB irrelevant..but you can't build a professional team in one year..He added players that can build a solid backup system to keep the team relevant for a long push, but there are only so many spots you can fill in one off season.

Year two, he added a foundation player on the defensive line, then proceeded to BUILD a foundation for a backup system that will keep this team more than relevant, it will keep them competitive, even when injuries occur. What I love the most about what Farmer has done, I like many of these young players taken late in the draft, they will push the veterans on the team, but we are getting to the point now where it will take HARD WORK and something special to even earn a spot on the roster. The depth is getting better fellas and we are only in year two.

Could we have taken a WR, absolutely and there were some that could have become an instant starter...but with what he is building, that true #1 becomes more irrelevant because with the players he is taking, the team will remain competitive when that super star is having a bad day and/or gets hurt. He is drafting football players, not just athletes. In the NFL, you have to have a team full of football players.

I want, and I believe he is getting close, a team full of players that when a first round draft pick is taken, he is not assured a starting position. I want EVERY rookie to have someone in front of them that pushes them to become better when their name is called to be a starter, preferably a year or two into their professional career..not their rookie season.

Right now, I loved the Erving pick...and I don't believe he will start year one unless an injury occurs. He needs time to become a professional, and I think we have the players right now to allow that to happen. Now if he comes out like gang busters and demands his spot, all the better, but prior to injury last year, the Browns had one of the very best olines in the NFL..Erving will eventually help make that sustainable even if an injury occurs.

That is what winning in the NFL needs and we are getting closer...Thanks to Farmer's picks and his unwillingness to wage the future for a popular vote on a QB and/or wide receiver, whom in this system isn't as valuable as other players may be.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Clemdawg
Quote:

Re-printed for truth.

And again.

It's hard to find someone who says BPA is not the way to go, especially for a bottom feeder like us. But, as was said in the original quote, when we get close to the draft it becomes "we need a WR in the 1st," "we need a QB in the first three rounds," "we have to take a TE by the second round" ... that is not BPA.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
D
All Pro
All Pro
D
NRTU
IMO this is by far the best draft we have had maybe since rebirth. Games are won in the trenches.... You run the ball and you stop the run is a foundation that never fails. We did that! If we had of drafted like this several years back we prolly wouldn't be in the shape we in now.

This might be the draft that finally gets us turned around.

You dont have to win every game just the next one!
D
Legend
Legend
D
Just my speculation, but unless none of his picks pan out and the entire ship sinks, I don't think Ray has anything to worry about. He made two basic foundation picks this year and could be said they were 'safe' selections. I expect alot of the other picks to not make the final roster, but still don't feel Farmer would be fired for it.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2015 NFL Season The NFL Draft 2015 Farmer's Draft - Is it his last

Link Copied to Clipboard