Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I went to Key West for the weekend and see that the Bolts haven't sealed the series yet. Hopefully they do so tomorrow as it will be the last game I get to watch before taking off for the summer.

[Linked Image from img.photobucket.com]
S
Legend
Legend
S
Originally Posted By: ~Con~Artist~
I went to Key West for the weekend and see that the Bolts haven't sealed the series yet. Hopefully they do so tomorrow as it will be the last game I get to watch before taking off for the summer.

I'm hoping it goes 7 for the sake of having a game 7.

Rangers/Caps Wednesday is going to be great. Love that they get the extra day of rest. Should be an amazing watch.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
+1 in hoping the Lightening and Habs go to game #7

Man will that one be fun.

Caps/Rangers should be a great one. Don't have a dog in either fight just wanted to see a couple of physical and intense games.

Ducks/Blackhawks should be fun as well. A lot of star power between those teams between Toews, Kane, Sharp, Perry and Getzlaf.

"You can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave"
L
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
L
Canadiens just didn't have enough scoring. Steven Stamkos is a difference-maker that Montreal does not have. I am looking forward to tonight's game 7 between Rangers/Caps.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
S
Legend
Legend
S
Tampa is really good. Happy for that team. 10 years being rebuilt and they're looking like a finals type team.

I think tonight's game is going to be legendary

Legend
Legend
I'll predict a few early goals by the Rangers and then the game turns into a messy, dirty blowout. Rangers win 5-2 (Caps get a late PP goal on a 6-4).

I'm hoping for OT. Heck, triple OT would be insane!

The Caps have shown they will buckle under the pressure, especially in MSG.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Legend
Legend
You got overtime!

<><

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I feel bad for Ovie but thems the brakes.

I'm taking Ning in 6 & Ducks in 7.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Rick Nash makes me want to puke. He privately whines and cries. Now he gets rewarded with two trips to the Stanley Cup Finals. Jeff Carter does the same, and he's rewarded the same exact way.

Meanwhile the Jackets miss the playoffs on a tiebreaker, get eliminated in seven games against the Pens, and got bit by the injury bug. The hockey gods must hate Ohio.

Legend
Legend
The Washington Capitals are now 6-5 all-time in series they take a 3-1 lead in (55%). The rest of the league is about 93%. That's very "Cleveland" of them.

[Linked Image]

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
It was actually six games against the Pens last year for the CBJ, but I certainly understand the frustration.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Blackhawks vs Lightening in the finals is my guess.

Should be a great final few weeks regardless.

S
Legend
Legend
S
Originally Posted By: Punchsmack
The Washington Capitals are now 6-5 all-time in series they take a 3-1 lead in (55%). The rest of the league is about 93%. That's very "Cleveland" of them.

Not that it had any huge effect on the game and series, but Ovechkin and Holtby shouldn't have guaranteed anything. Go in low. Outwork them. The Rangers owned the second half of that game. Now they both look dumb.

L
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
L
Only Mark Messier can guarantee a win before it happens, and that's because he backed it up in 1994 for the Rangers.

gmstrong

-----------------

S
Legend
Legend
S
Originally Posted By: lampdogg
Only Mark Messier can guarantee a win before it happens, and that's because he backed it up in 1994 for the Rangers.

That is the ultimate balls call in sports. In New York, 50+ year drought. You are the leader of the team. That takes stones.

He was also a multi-time champion when he made that call. He had all those great years with Edmonton. He knows what it takes, and he just knew his guys were going bring it.

I love the Tampa/NYR matchup. Not as much as the Montreal matchup, but afer seeing the Canadiens offense, I don't know if they'd hang with the Rangers.

Rangers/Hawks would be a great series. They played two awesome games this year.

L
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
L
I think the Stanley Cup final will be good no matter who plays. Both conference finals are too close to call IMO, but if I HAD to pick 'em, I'd go with Chicago/New York.

One more Cup gives the Hawks the dynasty label.

Edit: you probably already knew this Sperg, but Messier scored three goals in that "Guaranteed Game".

Last edited by lampdogg; 05/14/15 07:18 PM.

gmstrong

-----------------

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I'm a little surprised that Anaheim won the first game.

I'm predicting Chicago wins in six games.

The east though is a little tougher to guess. Tampa thrashing New York last night was a little surprising. Should be a great series, probably going to seven games. Not sure either team is a clear cut favorite over the other. Slight edge to New York though cause of Lundquist.

S
Legend
Legend
S
Yeah if you're Chicago, you have to be encouraged even though the 4-1 score looks bad. They had their chances. They were snakebitten most of the game, but they had Anaheim scrambling quite a bit.. The Ducks have a size advatange, because the Hawks are just no a physical team. It doesn't seem to ever bother them. They're much too skilled.

Tampa just keeps impressing. The Rangers are so tough though. That series has 7 written all over it.

Henrik Lundqvist drives me nuts with his technique though. Don't get me wrong, he's a top ten netter, and he's very good, but at times he makes me want to pull my hair out.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Like when he gives up hat tricks to Tyler Johnson?

Man that kid has been incredible....

Legend
Legend
I'm tried.

Thanks Blackhawks and Ducks.

[Linked Image]

S
Legend
Legend
S
If u want a scale for how long that game last night really was...

Game started just after 7pm central time.

I watched roughly the first 15 game minutes, then took a nap.

I woke up sometime in the second period, packed up my bag, and headed to the rink.

It's about a 30 minute drive to this particular rink.

I always get to my games 30 minutes before warmups.

Roughly a one hour game.

Another 20-30 minutes in the locker room bs'ing and packing my bag.

30 minute drive home.

20 minute shower.

Still in bed 25 minutes before they scored the game winner.

T
Legend
Legend
T
How's my team doing. I hate new york and a new york team just lost.

Hahaha, I've tuned in the NHL playoffs twice, and the first time was the last 60 seconds of overtime in a game 7, and this time was the last 2 minutes of a game 7.
lucky me.

S
Legend
Legend
S
Tonight's finale for the Ducks and Hawks should be legendary. Great series.

Coaching in hockey is not nearly as big of a deal that it is in football, but Joel Quenville has done an amazing job with the Blackhawks. Yes, they're loaded with talent, and probably 3-4 guaranteed hall of famers, but often in hockey the coach's voice tends to fade as the years go. Players get uninspired, etc... He's so good at making adjustments. He can make them as the game is going.

Legend
Legend
Hawks got up early, Ducks were forced out of their comfort zone, Hawks offensive just kept putting pucks on net, and the game ended. Wow, great game and series. I would think Tampa isn't going to sleep well tonight.

[Linked Image]

S
Legend
Legend
S
The Ducks folded really early in that game. You can't get down to the Hawks. I know Anaheim made a ridiculous comeback in an earlier game, but when you have to leave your gameplan and start pinching and cheating, you're in deep doodoo.

I've got the Hawks pretty heavily favored over Tampa. I don't think it will be a sweep or anything, but I don't see the Bolts being able to match the depth. Should be a fun series though, both teams want to fly up and down the ice.

Duncan Keith had an amazing series. The guy is going to be an easy selection for the hall of fame.

The Hawks have 3 guys who are automatic ins: Toews, Kane, Keith. They also have a couple of fringe guys who could get in if they win this cup and continue this great run in the coming years in Seabrook and Hossa.

Then you have Brandon Saad, who is only 23, and has a ridiculous future ahead of him.

Legend
Legend
This has been a great week for hockey. 2 game 7's in the NHL and my local team (Toledo)was in a game 7 in the ECHL eastern conf. finals. Actually, it's been a great post season across the board and it's going to be sad to see it all end. I'm pulling for the Hawks, they are just a fun team to watch and will stake their claim to a dynasty.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Ducks in 7.

(Though I should be predicting Hawks in 6 because they've won two cups on the road in Game 6 in recent years)

[Linked Image]

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Tampa and Chicago should be an extremely fun series to watch.

I have to go with Chicago though. They have more big game experience at this point, and they're clicking. Hard to bet against them given their recent history in the playoffs.

L
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
L
Not at all surprised that both conference finals went 7 games. Two series that were too close to call.
If I had to pick a winner in the Final, I'd say Chicago because of their experience... they've been there before. Would be a dynasty if they were to win their third Stanley Cup in five seasons.

For non-Leafs players, Toews and Stamkos are probably my favourite players in the NHL right now. Toews is class, a winner.

gmstrong

-----------------

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Toews and Kane are both VERY fun to watch.

Then again, so are Stamkos and Johnson right now though too.

S
Legend
Legend
S
The Hawks straight up ripped that W right out of Tampa's hands. They were literally helpless in the last 10 minutes of that game.

Tampa had a nice start to the game, but to play with that kind of offensive pressure, and that level of energy for 60 minutes is too much to ask.

The Hawks want to be one of those teams that represents a decade. They're in a race right now with the Kings for that. Reminds me a lot of the way the Oilers and Islanders dominated the 80's.

There are a ton of bandwagon fans here, and man do they rag on Corey Crawford. Not a whole lot to say today. Some people just don't understand goaltending.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Spergon FTWynn
Some people just don't understand goaltending.

It's something I can struggle with too. I know I've asked you a few questions on it from time to time. Ultimately, if you're in net, you're responsible but there are times when your defense is setting you up for failure.

Plus, goals like the one last night that Tampa scored, you have to just tip your cap and say, "good one". Although, Crawford could have been hugging the post a bit more than he was (see, it's too easy to criticize the goalie).

I've heard quite a few fans and media members doing a Paul Pierce today, calling the series over. I watched every game of the Canadians and Rangers series, it's way too early for that.

[Linked Image]

S
Legend
Legend
S
I don't think Tampa can keep up with the Hawks. You got about a B to B+ game from the Hawks last night. There is no coach that can make adjustments like Joel Quennville can. He can make them between shifts. He knows his team so well.

As far as goaltending goes, Tampa's lone goal last night was mostly luck. Goals just don't get scored like that. Crawford lost track of the puck once it go deflected. The networks slow the plays down so well that people think these guys can just readjust mid-shot. Doesn't work like that. Corey Crawford is not the freak athlete that Quick, Fleury, or Price is, but he is as mentally strong of a goaltender as I have ever seen. He also plays his angles as well as anyone in the league. He's very smart.

Crawford had a couple grade A saves last night. He's a money goaltender.

If they win this series, keep in mind he is one really bad unlucky bounce away from winning 3 straight cups. They would have smoked NYR last year.

One other thing, and people who don't really follow the game ask me this all the time. Maybe half of those people are trolling/joking. "Why don't they just get a sumo wrestler or a big fat guy to play net?"

A hockey goal is 4x6, people. It's bigger than you think.

S
Legend
Legend
S
Really really really impressed with Tampa thus far. Was dead wrong on them not being able to keep up. This is a well put together team. I think Stevie Y might be the only great player to also become a great GM or coach. Are there really any others who have done it? He's an unbelievable story. Wanted to get into management, but did not want the job handed to him. Took a lower level job with the Red Wings after retirement, and learned the trade.

I've had quite a few people ask me how I'm coping with watching the Hawks and Cavs. Look, I like the Hawks a lot. I moved to Chicago a fan of the Red Wings, and became a Hawks fan as soon as the '04 lockout ended. But watching the Hawks after what I've had to go through as a Cavs fan? It's like nothing. It's like a baseball game in the middle of May. I've seen the Hawks win 2 cups and become a dominant force in the league. What is going on in Cleveland is historic, and I will leave it at that.

But yes, Tampa ain't going away in this series, and they ain't going away in the coming years. If this win this cup, it will be one hell of a run.

Legend
Legend
Yeah, it's hard to believe the Wings were up 3 games to two on Tampa at one point. After they trashed Detroit at the Joe in game 6, you could feel the Lightning were just getting started. Can't help but be happy for Stevie Y, but I'm pulling for the Hawks. They are one fun team to watch.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
S
Legend
Legend
S
Originally Posted By: jfanent
Yeah, it's hard to believe the Wings were up 3 games to two on Tampa at one point. After they trashed Detroit at the Joe in game 6, you could feel the Lightning were just getting started. Can't help but be happy for Stevie Y, but I'm pulling for the Hawks. They are one fun team to watch.

I don't want to say the Hawks are done if they lose tonight, because we've seen them get lava-hot as soon as they're written off, 2011 they went down 0-3 with Vancouver and pushed it to a game 7 that they ended up losing in OT. 2013 They went down 3-1 to Detroit to storm back and win the series and the cup. Last year they went down 3-1 to LA and pushed it to 7 only to lose in OT.

Once Kane and Toews get going, the opposition is basically holding on for dear life. They have basically no-showed most of this series.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Blackhawks looked really good last night.

I'll be surprised to see Tampa win another game.

Last night felt like a HUGE momentum swing.

Man, as a CBJ fan, I cannot wait for the Summer to be over and for training camp to start in September.

S
Legend
Legend
S
That Richards to Kane play was just WOW.

Legend
Legend

Richards looked like Magic Johnson with a no-look pass to Worthy. It was sick. And oddly enough, Kane is "showtime".

Great series, great team, and they're probably not done. I know Bowman has a lot of work ahead of him in the offseason, but they are like the Cardinals in MLB, they just make the right decisions and keep winning.

I got my 2015 Hawks shirt on order. I'm sure I'll look like one of the newbie bandwagon fans, but I don't care. After a 3rd title, I finally broke down and bought a title T-shirt, something I've never done before.

I still can't believe my buddy and I had a ticket package to the Hawks the year after the 04-05 lockout. The UC was empty (think 1989 Indians empty), the team was terrible, and we couldn't give the tickets away for free. Nine years later and the city is a hockey town, they have three of the best players in all of hockey, and three freaking cups.

The only way this could be better, was if it was happening in Cleveland. Oh well, that time will come.

[Linked Image]

S
Legend
Legend
S
Originally Posted By: Punchsmack

Richards looked like Magic Johnson with a no-look pass to Worthy. It was sick. And oddly enough, Kane is "showtime".

Great series, great team, and they're probably not done. I know Bowman has a lot of work ahead of him in the offseason, but they are like the Cardinals in MLB, they just make the right decisions and keep winning.

I got my 2015 Hawks shirt on order. I'm sure I'll look like one of the newbie bandwagon fans, but I don't care. After a 3rd title, I finally broke down and bought a title T-shirt, something I've never done before.

I still can't believe my buddy and I had a ticket package to the Hawks the year after the 04-05 lockout. The UC was empty (think 1989 Indians empty), the team was terrible, and we couldn't give the tickets away for free. Nine years later and the city is a hockey town, they have three of the best players in all of hockey, and three freaking cups.

The only way this could be better, was if it was happening in Cleveland. Oh well, that time will come.

Yeah I moved out here in the summer of '04, so the Hawks were done, and then the whole season was lost. The next year we ended up going to a bunch of games. I think Toews and Kane's first year we went to 5+ games. We were there when Tazer scored his first NHL goal. Looking back, that's a cool thing to be able to say. He without question will end up as the greatest Blackhawk of all time. He might be right now.

I can't really go to games anymore, because I just don't feel like dropping $75+ on a nosebleed for a regular season game, but it's nice to have a team this good and this historic around.

As far as next year goes, they will figure it out. People freaked when several guys were sent packing after the first cup. They have their core. It would be nice to find a way to keep Saad, but that guy is going to want good coin, and rightfully so.

When you have the best two way player in the world, plus the best defenseman in the world, plus Patrick Kane, Brent Seabrook, Crawford, and a slew of solid players (Shaw, Hammer, Oduya, Hossa, etc) you can plug different guys in.

My only problem with the NHL is that the regular season is awful. You can say the same for the NBA because it's an identical setup, but they do a better job presenting their games. When the Cavs played the Warriors earlier in the year, it was a Thursday night TNT game. The prime time matchups are better. I don't know how many times I turned on the Monday or Tuesday national game to see freaking BUFFALO playing? REALLY?? Look I have a lot of love for the Sabres, but we knew last summer they were going to be awful. Why would you push them as your product? The league and NBC do an awful job of presentation. They make up for it with the best postseason in sports.

Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum The Hockey thread

Link Copied to Clipboard