Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
A
Legend
Legend
A
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Originally Posted By: JulesDawg
One of them kidnapped, tortured, killed, and dismembered a person. I can't fathom anyone rooting for someone like him and another killer.

Does anything else really need to be said?

Perhaps.

One was sentenced to life. The other had 15-to life (I believe that's what it was). These 2 have nothing to lose. Plus, they are now armed. With stolen weapons I might add.

But other than that - I don't believe anything else needs to be said.

F
Legend
Legend
F
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Originally Posted By: JulesDawg
One of them kidnapped, tortured, killed, and dismembered a person. I can't fathom anyone rooting for someone like him and another killer.

Does anything else really need to be said?

Yes, because we are only on page 2, and the insults haven't really started yet. tongue

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
I'm still on page 1, loser.

Legend
Legend
Thinking about the original proposition .... and while it is too early for it to happen with these guys, yes, we do tend to romanticize criminals who pull off daring and dramatic escapes, face down horrible odds, or who pull off huge, "impossible" crimes and get away with them.

Look at the success of movies about Bonnie and Clyde, Doc Holiday, Butch and Sundance, Billy the Kid, and the movies (and series of movies) the Sopranos, Goodfellas, Scarface, Pulp Fiction,and so on. We want to root for those who beat the odds, even if they are criminals. We get caught up in the excitement of getting away with things ..... and even if we feel some satisfaction at the end when/if the bad guy gets his ..... we still, somewhere deep inside, hope that they find a way to get away with it anyway.

It is a bizarre phenomenon.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Jeez, Rocky has apologized and tried to rephrase what he was saying multiple times now.

Can we stop pounding on him for that , and move on??

You may be in the drivers seat but God is holding the map. #GMSTRONG
R
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
R
I agree that it’s unlikely Sweat and Matt are still in the Pennsylvania woods.

In the past, escapees who survived on the lame in the woods were 1) familiar with the area and 2) were experienced outdoorsman. I doubt Sweat and Matt are either.

I have to go with the accomplice theory. These guys can’t show their faces anywhere.(in the US?)

1st String
1st String

Legend
Legend
ok, so is he shot and caught? or do they think he's just been shot?

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Swish
ok, so is he shot and caught? or do they think he's just been shot?

They set him free. He's dead.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Shot and killed.

No Craps Given
W
Rookie
Rookie
W
The CNN update posted at 4:49 says he was shot and killed.

Legend
Legend
good. so they got at least one of them.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
Must admit, if I was facing life in a cage, this would be a preferable way to go.

#GMSTRONG
B
All Pro
All Pro
B
Originally Posted By: rockyhilldawg
Are you kind of rooting for Richard Matt and David Sweat to elude capture?

I am sure you can find a serial killer sympathy thread somewhere on the 'net if you look long enough as well... superconfused

R
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
R
One down.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Swish
good. so they got at least one of them.
Imagine that huh, a white thug with a gun who didn't comply and was a danger to those around so they shot and killed him.

Just messing with you Swish.

On another note, I read an interview with the one who was killed brother. His brother stated it was a relief that he was dead because he n longer feared for the familys life in case he escaped. You know you are a bad guy when your own family is happy you are dead.

KING

Legend
Legend
yea....the family must have hated his ass.

at least you didn't throw the mental illness excuse lol

- Theodore Roosevelt
A
Legend
Legend
A
Did you read the article? I'll search for it - but basically the 2 were half brothers. The one that went to prison for murder and torture (R. Matt) fled to Mexico. His half brother testified against him after he was brought back for trial - and the guy (matt) let his half brother know if/when he got out of prison or broke out, he would kill him and his family.

Legend
Legend
ohh.......whoa.

- Theodore Roosevelt
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The guy kept his victim alive in his trunk for 27 hours driving around the country(I think he drove to New Orleans) before he finally killed him, and cut his body up.

A
Legend
Legend
A

All Pro
All Pro
The other one has been shot and captured. Bummer. I know we were all rooting for those two.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: JackTripper
The other one has been shot and captured. Bummer. I know we were all rooting for those two.

Rocky won the pool!

R
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
R
Are we done now?

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: rockyhilldawg
Are we done now?

Rocky you took a busting for this thread but you handled it well.
Respect.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Maybe not quite?

How do you guys feel about the reports that the second guy was unarmed when he was shot in the back by the trooper trying to run in to the tree line?

"Hey, I'm a reasonable guy. But I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."
-Jack Burton

-It looks like the Harvard Boys know what they are doing after all.
All Pro
All Pro
Originally Posted By: DevilDawg2847
Maybe not quite?

How do you guys feel about the reports that the second guy was unarmed when he was shot in the back by the trooper trying to run in to the tree line?

Not good, but I understand it? At that point, you're dealing with an escaped convicted murderer, who the state has been bleeding money trying to find; his accomplice was armed. In a perfect world, you don't shoot an unarmed man in the back if you're the law. The law should always rise above the base emotions of man. But I doubt even the ACLU will take up for him.

Legend
Legend
Maybe not quite?

His accomplice was armed and there was no reason to believe this person wasn't. Hence the phrase, "considered armed and dangerous". They were both imprisioned for life for atrocities against other humans. The officers were charged with stopping these two at all costs. I'd say the shooting officer did his job and I'd pat him on the back.

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Tulsa
Maybe not quite?

His accomplice was armed and there was no reason to believe this person wasn't. Hence the phrase, "considered armed and dangerous". They were both imprisioned for life for atrocities against other humans. The officers were charged with stopping these two at all costs. I'd say the shooting officer did his job and I'd pat him on the back.

Yeah, I have to agree. Both men (and I use that term loosely in this case) did some pretty horrific things, and they were very dangerous. They escaped prison and ran ..... and combined with what they did, and reports that they could be armed, I would say that it was justified.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Maybe not quite?

I think the trooper needs to get back to the range.

[Linked Image from s2.excoboard.com]
Legend
Legend
I want them caught. Forensics and manpower seemed to solve this. Never wanted them to go free.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: JackTripper
Maybe not quite?

Not good, but I understand it? At that point, you're dealing with an escaped convicted murderer, who the state has been bleeding money trying to find; his accomplice was armed. In a perfect world, you don't shoot an unarmed man in the back if you're the law. The law should always rise above the base emotions of man. But I doubt even the ACLU will take up for him.

From the legal standpoint, the amount of $$ the State was spending to find them doesn't, and shouldn't factor in to it. Besides, I don't think anyone likes the idea of gov't deciding on when to use lethal force based upon cost/benefit ledgers...

The Use of Deadly Force statutes vary in their wording from state to state, but they are mostly similar. Regardless if the emotions surrounding opinions on whether or not the trooper was justified, it will meet the legal standard. Given his personal history, the circumstances of the encounter, yes, it would be reasonable to believe that this subject does pose an immediate threat to other people if he should get away.

And depending on NY law, the lawful right to use lethal force on him may actually be a lower threshold. For example, one of the conditions NC law authorizes police to use deadly force is when a person convicted of a felony is attempting to escape from prison. For example, we have a maximum security prison in my jurisdiction. Only people convicted of felonies go there. So if I'm on patrol and I see a person in an orange jumpsuit jumping over the wall, legally I can use deadly force. Now, my departmental policy says Officer DevilDawg will not shoot them for hopping the wall. Our position is that we'll leave that up to the Dept of Corrections officers in the towers.

Now, what the escapee does when he comes off that wall when we try to capture him can change things...

Thanks for the posts guys smile I was just curious as to what you guys thought.

"Hey, I'm a reasonable guy. But I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."
-Jack Burton

-It looks like the Harvard Boys know what they are doing after all.
Page 2 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... be honest it’s ok

Link Copied to Clipboard