Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
A man with one of the greatest stories i've ever heard died today, and I figured I'd share it. Especially with how nowadays the news focuses on celebrities deaths (and they always seem to be overdoses in bathtubs). It drives me nuts. This guy deserves more TV coverage than Michael Jackson, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Heath Ledger, Whitney Houston, Whitney Houston's Daughter. Pretty much all of them.

This was an amazing person.

His name is Sir Nicholas Winton, and he was a British man who actually made a difference in this world. He orchestrated a program that saved at least 669 Jewish children from the Nazis during WW2.

I learned about him about 10 years ago when I was a student in Czech Republic, and his story still is very special to me today. This was a guy who actually saw a tragedy and did something to help stop it.

To sum it up, he was visiting Prague on a humanitarian mission in the 1930's and he couldn't stand by and watch the Nazis send the Jews to their deaths. So he orchestrated a program that would get Jewish children out of Czechoslovakia and into England. By day he was like a stock broker or something, but by night he orchestrated a program that got Czech Jewish Children their VISAs and all the documents (and the money) they needed to get to England (and he set up their adoptions with British Families). He's about as special as they come.

What I like more about it is that he did it because it was the right thing to do. He wasn't a man with an ego. He'd really have been forgotten if his wife didn't look through a scrap book and beg him to tell his story in 1988. He later was on a talk show telling his story, and he said that the kids he saved wouldn't remember him. But the catch was that the whole audience was filled with the children he saved. It was honestly probably the most moving thing I've ever seen on television. He was crying, they were crying, I was crying. Unbelievable. They call themselves "Winton's Children". Most of these kid's biological parents were killed by the Nazis.

I can't really do this guy justice with my post, but the biggest thing to me about this guy was that he actually did something. I can say "I don't steal, I don't lie, I don't cheat, I don't murder" and plenty of other "I dont's", but this guy can actually say that he's done something. And that's what makes a hero in my opinion.

Here's an article on him. Getting the text to work right just isn't happening in the post unfortunately, so all I can post is a link.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-33350880

Last edited by PeteyDangerous; 07/01/15 08:39 PM.

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
Legend
Legend
Yes, I have read about him, a great man among men. May he rest in peace.

Check out this vid...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIiBTP0spEA

Last edited by 40YEARSWAITING; 07/01/15 08:37 PM.
Legend
Legend
RIP hero!!!

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
There's some of the video I saw! Thanks for posting that.

Truly remarkable guy. This is a hero

Here's also a fifteen minute 60 Minutes Video (40Years is about 5 minutes, this is a bit more thorough). I think either are really worth watching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0aoifNziKQ

Last edited by PeteyDangerous; 07/01/15 08:46 PM.

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
V
Legend
Legend
V
That is an awesome story. Thank you for sharing it. thumbsup

Legend
Legend
thumbsup

Legend
Legend
What a marvelous example of love for his fellow human beings. What a wonderful example for us all .... to do the right thing, no matter the risk t yourself.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
P
Legend
Legend
P
This is a wonderful story and it reminds me a lot of my history teacher, Colonel Dean Hess. He died in March of this year. He saved hundreds of children in Korea through something he called Operation Kiddy Car. He wrote a book about his experiences in a book called Battle Hymn. All proceeds from the book he used to build an orphanage in South Korea.

He flew over 60 missions in Europe at the end of WW2 and 250 in Korea. He was an ordained minister and served not only as a Colonel in the Air Force, but also a Chaplain. It was a marvelous experience to have had him as a teacher. A truly humble and selfless man as well as a true hero.

I'm not trying to steal the thread, just thought it fit well with the topic. Here's little more about him and there's plenty of other information online.

http://www.latimes.com/local/obituaries/la-me-dean-hess-20150307-story.html

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... Nicholas Winton (A true hero) Died Today

Link Copied to Clipboard