F
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
F
Quote:

LINK

VIDEO LINK

(CNN) -- The moment captured on camera escalates quickly.

In one frame, Florida State University quarterback De'Andre Johnson, 19, is seen arguing with a woman at a crowded bar.

In the next frame, she raises a fist.

He grabs her arm. She attempts to hit him. He punches her in the face.

Although the surveillance video was released Monday, the incident took place June 24, inside Yianni's nightclub in Tallahassee, Florida.

On June 25, the head football coach at FSU, Jimbo Fisher, announced Johnson's indefinite suspension for a violation of athletic department policy. Fisher later said that Johnson had been dismissed from the team, effective immediately.

The former freshman quarterback is also being charged with battery.

The woman in the video suffered bruising under her left eye, swelling to the left cheek and upper lip, and a small cut near the bridge of her nose, according to court documents.

The documents say the victim raised her arm to defend herself, and tried to strike Johnson to release his grip. She remained at the bar while Johnson left with others.

"While it is clear from the video that De'Andre Johnson was not the initial aggressor, his family wants to take the lead in helping him learn and grow from this experience. He is currently participating in community service, and faith-based programs focused on battered women, substance abuse, and the empowerment of children," said his attorney, Jose Baez.

"De'Andre is extremely embarrassed by this situation and would like to express his heartfelt apologies to everyone, including those who were directly affected, coach Fisher and his teammates, the entire Florida State University community, as well as his family and friends."

Johnson is not the first FSU quarterback to be the subject of headlines for alleged behavior off the field.

Jameis Winston, the former Florida State University quarterback-turned-top NFL draft pick, was accused of rape, stemming from an incident in 2012.

He said the sex was consensual.

Winston was not charged, and has since filed a counterclaim against his accuser.

CNN's Kevin Dotson and Devon Sayers contributed to this report.

The-CNN-Wire
™ & © 2015 Cable News Network, Inc., a Time Warner Company. All rights reserved.

The video does show she swings first, but IMO, she was doing so because he grabbed her wrists after she confronted him for pushing his way up front. Then she swung to defend herself from his grip.

He's been dismissed from the team.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
M
Legend
Legend
M
I have no real opinion on this but it looked like he grabbed her wrist because he noticed that fist was clenched raring to go. Oddly enough, she then clenched her other free hand and swung.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
I've never been punched in the face. If I got punched in the face I don't know how I'd react in the heat of the moment.

I don't condone hitting anybody, but she was way out of line.

F
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
F
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
I have no real opinion on this but it looked like he grabbed her wrist because he noticed that fist was clenched raring to go. Oddly enough, she then clenched her other free hand and swung.

I guess I saw it differently, to me she didn't make an aggressive fist, but made a fist with her thumb out, pointing like saying "I have been here waiting on that bartender, wait your turn, get in line behind everyone else waiting."

D
Legend
Legend
D
I'm not sure here as the video has some questionable footage on who the aggressor was.

In any case, you just can't hit a female unless your life is threatened, and that situation didn't seem life threatening. Football career = over

R
Legend
Legend
R
I grew up in a place and time where hitting a girl was a no no. And if a girl hit you, you just kind of laughed it off because you know that she couldn't hurt you the way you could her. You control the urge to strike back because of that knowledge.

Women should not hit men. But what happened to this basic knowledge over the years?

Legend
Legend
Anyone that says this guy was actually defending himself by hitting this woman like this is nuts.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: PerfectSpiral
Anyone that says this guy was actually defending himself by hitting this woman like this is nuts.

I don't think anyone has.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend

He wasn't defending himself. He was reacting. His reaction was bad. Her immediate outrage at him for trying to go up to the empty spot at the bar was way out of line. You don't swing at someone. She was not defending herself. He was not defending himself.

I don't know if it was a factor, but this happened a week after the Charleston shooting. White people's perception of black people was on the minds of a lot of black people at the time. Her turning around and screaming at him out of the blue, then on top of it swinging at him does not show a lot of respect for another person.

Legend
Legend
If a strange woman were to hit me, for whatever reason, I'm calling the cops to have her arrested. And I'd probably sue her.

I wouldn't swing back no matter what.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: clevesteve

He wasn't defending himself. He was reacting. His reaction was bad. Her immediate outrage at him for trying to go up to the empty spot at the bar was way out of line. You don't swing at someone. She was not defending herself. He was not defending himself.

I don't know if it was a factor, but this happened a week after the Charleston shooting. White people's perception of black people was on the minds of a lot of black people at the time. Her turning around and screaming at him out of the blue, then on top of it swinging at him does not show a lot of respect for another person.

I think she was a little PO'ed that he shoved his way into her space.

I'm also a little perplexed that nobody here is questioning that a 19 year old is in a crowded bar ordering drinks.

– Jackie Robinson
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: Rishuz
I grew up in a place and time where hitting a girl was a no no. And if a girl hit you, you just kind of laughed it off because you know that she couldn't hurt you the way you could her. You control the urge to strike back because of that knowledge.

Women should not hit men. But what happened to this basic knowledge over the years?

Exactly. I recall an altercation in my younger days with an ex and the day I was trying to pack up my stuff and move out.

She was off the chain so to say, breaking my items,ripping open boxes and dumping my stuff out, throwing items outside into the snow and she was swinging.

Crazy Ness, but even in the mist of it all, swinging back or ringing her bell never was even considered. The police came and the instant they pulled in, her attitude changed and the entire situation changed and for the good.

It happens, it sucks but... it was the right thing to do.

This kid learned,well hopefully anyway, his lesson the hard way.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Unless you're getting the crap beat out of you, and your life is in danger, I don't think there is ever any real justification for hitting a woman.

Being an FSU athlete though, I'm sure he won't get in any trouble, and he'll end up back on the team starting....

"You can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave"
Legend
Legend

I don't think anyone has.

But some are insinuating she caused her problems by taking the lame swing, when in reality a 19 year old under age in a crowded bar shoves his way up to the bar to order drinks and is then shoved back into his place. He then halls off and smacks the snot out of the women.

– Jackie Robinson
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: MrKelso
Being an FSU athlete though, I'm sure he won't get in any trouble, and he'll end up back on the team starting....

He's already been kicked off the team.

The Seminoles made the announcement with the following statement:

Florida State head football coach Jimbo Fisher announced Monday evening that freshman De'Andre Johnson has been dismissed from the football team effective immediately. Johnson was indefinitely suspended on June 25 following initial reports of an incident that occurred off campus and resulted in a criminal charge.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
K
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
K

Exactly, both sides are of equal blame here...that girl should not have clenched her fist and took a swing at him, and he shouldn't have unloaded a punch on her.

Charges should be dropped, both parties are equally negligent and moronic, and thats that.

Chalk it up as a lesson learned,

For her, you don't want to get punched in the face, then don't try to punch someone in the face.

For him, you don't want someone trying to hit you, then don't be a jerk at the bar.

Last edited by Knight_Of_Brown; 07/07/15 02:03 PM.
Legend
Legend

http://espn.go.com/college-football/stor...rks-lawyer-says

Former Florida State quarterback De'Andre Johnson's attorney, Jose Baez, told NBC News on Tuesday that his 19-year-old client punched a woman in the face after she called him racial epithets and provoked him.

Johnson, a redshirt freshman from Jacksonville, Florida, was dismissed from FSU's team by coach Jimbo Fisher on Monday night, hours after the state's attorney's office released surveillance video of him striking the 21-year-old woman in a Tallahassee, Florida, bar on June 24.

Johnson, who was named "Mr. Football" in Florida as a senior at First Coast High School in 2014, is charged with misdemeanor battery. Baez entered a written not guilty plea on his client's behalf on July 2. Johnson is scheduled to appear at a case management hearing in Leon County Court on July 22.

Appearing on NBC's "Today" show Tuesday, Baez said Johnson was not the initial aggressor, but is "owning this" and trying to learn from the experience.

Baez said the woman raised her fist and shouted "racial epithets" at Johnson after he accidentally made contact with her while they waited to order at the bar.

Baez said Johnson tried to "de-escalate the situation," but the woman "kneed him in the groin area" and "took another swing before he retaliated."

"It wasn't until she struck him twice that he reacted," Baez told NBC. "But he is very ... he is very regretful that he didn't turn around and walk away immediately."

The video, which was captured by security cameras in a bar near the FSU campus, shows Johnson trying to push past the woman, who was waiting to order at the bar. The woman turned toward Johnson, who grabbed her right arm after she raised it in a fist. The woman raised her knee and swung at Johnson with her left arm, and then he punched her in the face.

According to the Tallahassee Police Department incident report, the woman, an FSU student, suffered bruising near her left eye, swelling of the left cheek and upper lip, and a small cut near the bridge of her nose.

State's attorney Willie Meggs, who decided to charge Johnson after seeing video of the incident, said the woman still had a black eye when he met with her last week.

"He makes no excuses for what happened," Baez told NBC. Baez called Johnson's dismissal from the football team "unfortunate." "All he wants to do is learn from this experience and move on and get an education. We certainly don't want him to pay for the rest of his life for an incident that occurred in a bar."

Baez, who defended Casey Anthony in her murder trial in Orlando in 2011 -- the Florida mother was found not guilty of first-degree murder in the 2008 death of her 2-year-old daughter -- hasn't responded to interview requests from ESPN.

Meanwhile, a source told ESPN.com on Tuesday that FSU officials hadn't seen video of Johnson punching the woman until the video was published on the Tallahassee Democrat website Monday. The source said Fisher didn't see the video until Monday night -- shortly before he dismissed Johnson from the team -- because he was vacationing in a remote area of West Virginia.

Florida State president John Thrasher, in a statement released Tuesday, said he fully supported the actions Fisher took to suspend and then dismiss Johnson from the program.

"While it is always important to adhere to due process, having now seen the physical altercation captured on video, there is no question in my mind that Coach Fisher made the correct decisions," Thrasher said. "I expect all students at Florida State University, including student-athletes, to adhere to the highest level of conduct. I have no tolerance for the kind of behavior exhibited in this case.

"Florida State University was forged from an outstanding college for women and has a long tradition of being a caring community that demands students be treated with dignity and respect."

Former Florida State cornerback Ronald Darby, now a member of the Buffalo Bills, took to Twitter on Tuesday to question why the woman hasn't faced consequences for her role in the incident.

One his tweets said "People saying its a bad tweet for saying something should be done both ways ? I'm confused . If that was tall kid or loved one then what"

The series of tweets was later deleted.

Legend
Legend
Heisman!

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

F
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
F
I looked at the video again, and agree she makes a fist, so I looked again. And notice she spins around mad right off the bat, and says something to him. Is it possible he snuck in for a cheap feel?

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
LOL....Jose Baez. I thought he would've retired off of the money he made off of the Casey Anthony trial.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Former Florida State quarterback De'Andre Johnson's attorney, Jose Baez, told NBC News on Tuesday that his 19-year-old client punched a woman in the face after she called him racial epithets and provoked him.

So maybe there was some racial intervention here, but still, just cannot swing on a female. Being called names is not a life or death threatening.

But if true, the female may not be as much a poor, innocent victim as initially perhaps perceived.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:
But if true, the female may not be as much a poor, innocent victim as initially perhaps perceived.

I felt this way the minute she threw the first punch.....

Tackles are tackles.
B
Rookie
Rookie
B
UMMMM, he wasn't even looking in her direction the start.
In a crowded bar someone bumping into you can cause you to bump into another. It looks as if she overreacted to the bump. He got the punishment he deserved but what was her punishment for her actions . clearly a double standard here.

Legend
Legend
I grew up in the world where you were taught the rule to never to hit a women. Made sense to me.

Then you have the woman's movement with equal rights. (I agree with this)

Earn the same money. (I agree with this)

Women in the military. (with everything else, why not)

Women in combat. (still have a hard time with this one)

If she picks the fight and throws the first punch does this rule still hold true? I mean, don't they want to be treated equally if they start throwing?

#GMSTRONG
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: Rishuz

As with a lot of views, this one also changed over the years and with the evolving times. Women are no longer innocent, reserved, and petite little things like they used to be. A lot of them are now much larger, stronger, know how to fight, and you never know what kind of weapon they may be carrying. I was raised to never let ANYBODY hurt me. I find it senseless to let another person beat on you in an attempt to show chivalry based on their gender. If someone hits me in the face, they need to be prepared to be hit back. That should be perceived as basic knowledge at this point. The world is more violent now than before, it's probably time to evolve your views with it or at least not look down on others who handle harm being inflicted upon them differently than you.

Legend
Legend
I agree women have changed physically and their equality has expanded, so yes, it might be time to realign the idea that all women should never be touched in any situation. With that being said, it would have to take a lot for me to raise my fist to a woman. I'd have to feel like she was about to put me in the hospital or she was trying to kill me.

However, the idea that the world today is more violent than ever before, I don't believe that. I can't make a case that the world was more violent 25, 250, or 2500 years ago, but I'd probably be able to argue it's just as violent. People have been beating & killing each other for as long as we've walked this planet. I don't think it's increased.

[Linked Image]

Legend
Legend
We're more aware, news just gets out faster and much more often than it used to.

#GMSTRONG
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
I like the general consesus of these posts.

On the local news here in CT the video clip was obviously professionally prepared for maximum effect.

For instance, it's cut-off and zoomed-in right as her head turned making it look like she just took a hay-maker.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Afterwards,

"She remained at the bar."

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Whatever the girl did, "maybe" one half hearted love tap...she did not deserve what she got in return.

The guy is a "punk"...no other way to say it.

To unload on the girl the way he did, something wrong in that punk's head...I would kick him off my football team in a heartbeat.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Legend
Legend
Quote:
But some are insinuating she caused her problems by taking the lame swing,

She needs to own some of the responsibility.. (I've seen a version of this that goes back a few more seconds, she nudges up to the bar first, before he does) She raises her hand into an aggressive position first, he grabs the hand, she smacks him with the other hand, then he hits her.. neither side behaved well here.

Quote:
when in reality a 19 year old under age in a crowded bar shoves his way up to the bar to order drinks and is then shoved back into his place.

I don't know if you've ever been in a crowded college bar... but this kind of jockeying and bumping and nudging is common, happens all the time to everybody, she handled it very poorly. the nudge she got was mild, I'll bet she got nudged like that 100 times that night, but in this one she reacted.. And I LOL every time I see somebody comment that we should be concerned that an under aged 19 year old was in a college bar.. really?

Quote:
and is then shoved back into his place. He then halls off and smacks the snot out of the women.

You left out a couple steps.

In the end, he will pay a much steeper price than she will...

Last edited by DCDAWGFAN; 07/10/15 05:12 PM.

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
I'm impressed that he is owning the situation and taking responsibility rather than trying to BS his way out of it as we see so many high profile figures do. A sign of maturity is that when a mistake is made, you admit it, then take your medicine and learn from it. That sounds exactly like what this kid is doing (provided the limited information we have).

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:

Gee, never saw the racial excuse coming. rolleyes

V
Legend
Legend
V
Just watched the video. Are you kidding me? People like Memphis are actually defending Johnson?

Wow!

Legend
Legend
Quote:
Whatever the girl did, "maybe" one half hearted love tap...she did not deserve what she got in return.

The guy is a "punk"...no other way to say it.

To unload on the girl the way he did, something wrong in that punk's head...

Oh bull. He's what, 6'1" 200 lbs and in a college football weightlifting program? If he unloaded on her then FSU's strength coach should be fired. Not only didn't she go down, she didn't even wobble.. she didn't even leave the freakin' bar. They were both love taps.

Suspend him a few games, make him take some counseling, but to potentially ruin a kids career at 19 over 2 seconds of poor judgement where nobody even got hurt just seems a bit extreme to me.

yebat' Putin
S
Legend
Legend
S
The girl is a scumbag for calling him that, but you gotta walk away man.

No excuse for it.

Legend
Legend
She threw the first punch, why is this not self defense?

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
V
Legend
Legend
V
That was no punch. Sheesh.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Just watched the video. Are you kidding me? People like Memphis are actually defending Johnson?

Wow!

Where did I defend him or are you just trying to make stuff up again to stir the pot?

Tackles are tackles.
V
Legend
Legend
V
How are we to interpret your first post, which was the very first reply to the article?

Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum FSU quarterback punching woman at a bar

Link Copied to Clipboard