Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
#975867 07/11/15 11:26 AM
M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
I've been taking some of time during this slow period before camp starts on July 30, to do some background on our starting QB, Josh McCown.

His basic stat line for 2014 is below.

.....................G..GS...QBrec...Cmp ...Att...Cmp%...Yds....TD...Int...Y/A....Y/C...Y/G......Rate...QBR....Sk..Yds..
Josh McCown 11...11..1-10-0...184....327...56.3....2206...11...14...6.7....12.0..200.5....70.5...35.71..36...235..

I've done some film study and one observation I noted...McCown either likes to throw a high pass or when under pressure, he throws the ball high. My concern is more Ints. due to overthrowing the ball.

Last year, throwing the ball high might have been intentional because McCown's WRs and TEs were huge targets.
WRs..Mike Evans, 6-5
.....Vincent Jackson, 6-5
.....Louis Murphy, 6-2
TEs..Austin Jenkins, 6-6
.....Brandon Myers, 6-4

With targets this size, McCown did not need to be so accurate with his passes, especially throwing a high ball.

McCown did have 14 ints in 11 games. McCown had the highest interception rate among starting QBs in the NFL with a 4.30 percentage.
Int Rate-Int %

Considering the huge targets McCown had to throw to, I would predict a much lower Int %.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
mac #975872 07/11/15 11:45 AM
Legend
Legend
good point mac ... I vividly remember analysts saying that McCown loves tall WRs (in Chicago he had Marshall/Jeffrey and in TB he had VJax/Evans) ... which probably explains why we felt it necessary to snag Bowe and Mayle in the draft ... HOWEVER, I do think more INTs is a very realistic expectation as you said

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
mac #975875 07/11/15 11:57 AM
T
Legend
Legend
T
53 percent complete, less than 250 yards per start, 11 td's and 14 ints.

Those stats are abysmal, horrible.

I hope he doesn't play that bad this year.

mac #975876 07/11/15 12:03 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I have to believe an abysmal o-line and no OC may have something to do with those numbers. I'm very optimistic about his chances this year, and yes, I know, it's taboo to think that way. smirk

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
mac #975888 07/11/15 12:44 PM
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
mac, in your film watching, where did pressure come, when it did, up the middle, ends, or both?

In McCown's defense, he had no help from any run game. Josh will never win throwing. His success relies totally on balance with up tempo. I'm not saying McCown is equal, but Sipe worked very well in this scheme. Nothing brilliant athletically but he put constant pressure using all the tools in the toolbox.

mac #975891 07/11/15 12:59 PM
Legend
Legend
For those of you who are qb experts, how does he stack up compared to hoyer

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: THROW LONG

How about 53% completion, 255 yards/start, 12 TD and 13 INT?

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
Originally Posted By: THROW LONG

How about 53% completion, 255 yards/start, 12 TD and 13 INT?

well thats getting better.

being a browns fan is like taking your dog to vet every week to be put down...
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life

Hoyer 7-6

McCown 1-10

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Can't believe I am in a group that is comprised of the best NOT just fans but people on the planet.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Brown to the Bone

Hoyer 7-6

McCown 1-10

so then could you explain why we gave McCown more money to replace Hoyer?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Hoyer 7-6

McCown 1-10

Teddy Bridgewater 6-6 does that mean Hoyer is better than Teddy using your guidelines? notallthere

M
Legend
Legend
M

Hoyer 7-6

McCown 1-10

I dunno, McCown wouldn't pull a Seneca Wallance and not help Johnny Manziel?

In all seriousness, I am personally exhausted with all of this McCown v Hoyer talk. Both QBs aren't getting us to the next level and are pretty much a wash. I won't pull a Versatile Dog and tell people to "shut up" because I don't like a post/topic, but this debate is getting more than old.

I do recall, and I cannot quote whether it was Pettine or McCown, but the theme was centered around a willingness for the QB signing at the time to know the role and to help out wherever needed. Starting, playing backup...whatever, McCown was going to do his part. Maybe (if those were McCown's words) its just a phrase to get a contract to stay in the league. Maybe if Pettine said that, it's simply coach speak. I don't know.

But it's a different tone altogether with Hoyer. He wanted the starting job. He believe he is capable of leading a team. I respect the fact he wants to be the guy. I just don't think he is.

Again, with Hoyer/McCown we have two QBs who are essentially a wash for me. Neither have long term, starter potential. On the surface one QB was willing to help/train the younger. The other QB was not and more focused on being THE MAN.

Neither is wrong, I guess.

Tackles are tackles.
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P

Hoyer 7-6

McCown 1-10

its how well he takes care of the ball.

being a browns fan is like taking your dog to vet every week to be put down...
M
Legend
Legend
M
Gotta love 4 clips that don't even equate to one minute and try to encapsulate a player. I'm sure we can find the same amount for most other QBs.

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Oustide of your second "clip", that 0-line looked horrible. Not saying that pardons McCown, but let's get real.

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Correction: The line didn't look that good in the second clip either.

Tackles are tackles.
mac #975926 07/11/15 05:16 PM
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Man that o-line was horrible. Dang rusher was getting to Josh almost as fast as the ball was getting snapped. I wonder if he will settle down behind a line that is able to give him a few seconds.

You can't fix stupid but you can destroy ignorance. When you destroy ignorance you remove the justifications for evil. If you want to destroy evil then educate our people. Hate is a tool of the stupid to deal with what they can't understand.
mac #975931 07/11/15 05:45 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The O-line could be a factor in the high throws. It's hard to follow through when you are worried about breaking a thumb on a helmet. I really don't know what we are gonna get with McCown.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
mac #975936 07/11/15 06:42 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Josh McCown = Brandon Weeden 2.0.

They call him Flipper...Flipper... willynilly

V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:
In all seriousness, I am personally exhausted with all of this McCown v Hoyer talk. Both QBs aren't getting us to the next level and are pretty much a wash. I won't pull a Versatile Dog and tell people to "shut up" because I don't like a post/topic, but this debate is getting more than old.

It's pretty simple, don't read the posts about McCown/Hoyer. Nobody really cares if you are exhausted or think the discussions are getting old. This may be a revelation to you, but the world doesn't revolve around you.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: SuperBrown

ooo

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Quote:

It's pretty simple, don't read the posts about McCown/Hoyer. Nobody really cares if you are exhausted or think the discussions are getting old. This may be a revelation to you, but the world doesn't revolve around you.

So basically you just told him to "shut up" because you didn't like his post/topic... you just used more words than he did. Nice. I understand your point though, if Memphis is Ms. Cleo enough to know that you are going to tell him to shut up, he ought to be psychic enough to know that a post contains more rehashed McCown vs. Hoyer dribble before he gets a chance to actually read it.

Last edited by DevilDawg2847; 07/12/15 12:10 AM.

"Hey, I'm a reasonable guy. But I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."
-Jack Burton

-It looks like the Harvard Boys know what they are doing after all.
mac #975954 07/12/15 02:48 AM
Legend
Legend
This season? "Throw low!" thumbsup

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Quote:

Two straight days of trolling. Good for you!!

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: SuperBrown

Oh, I get to use my Plain Dealer picture again. Yippie!

Lest we forget:

Man, it got just awful with him. I used to yell 'n' curse at my TV so many times during those games. THROW THE BALL! THROW THE BALL! flamingmad

Okay, sorry! Back to McCown.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Seems to me that you mentioned my name first. The crazy thing is that you butchered the meaning of my words.

Look, this is a message board. People discuss various topics. No one is saying you have to like each topic, but what gives you the right to tell others what they can discuss or not discuss? Who the hell are you?

It's simple, if you don't like the topic.........don't read it. There are plenty of topics I don't wish to read. For example, threads about soccer. I don't read them. I surely don't go on that thread and bash people for talking about soccer. I don't say "shut-up, soccer is a stupid subject," as you implied. It is their right to discuss soccer if they so choose. I simply do not read--or comment about it.

Again, no one really cares if this particular subject exhausts you or if you think it is getting old. People do not need permission from you to talk about subjects that they care about and they certainly don't need to hear your whining about it. If you don't like the topic, don't read it.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted By: Razorthorns
Man that o-line was horrible. Dang rusher was getting to Josh almost as fast as the ball was getting snapped. I wonder if he will settle down behind a line that is able to give him a few seconds.

and this quote by Memphis:

Quote:
Gotta love 4 clips that don't even equate to one minute and try to encapsulate a player. I'm sure we can find the same amount for most other QBs.

I am not sure I get this line of thinking. I posted McCown's stats on another thread. It's not like we only have to use a few clips to evaluate him. It's not like he hasn't played behind other o-lines in the past. This will be his 13th year of playing in the NFL.

Here are some of the things I remember.

--He was actually out of football for a year, as in, no team wanted him.

--He has only had a rating of 75 or better once in his career.

--He has been named the starter 3 times in his career. He threw 32 TDs and 35 Interceptions in those three years.

--He is known for holding the ball too long and then making poor decisions when pressured.

--He is 36 years old.

--He had one year out of 12 when he played well, but even in that year, in which he was blessed w/a great RB and outstanding receivers, he lost more games than he won.

Thus, I think we don't need to rely on a few clips or wonder about how he will do w/a different OL because we can look at his extensive history and evaluate the whole, rather than just a few clips.

And that history screams of ineptitude.

E
Legend
Legend
E
He won't shit in his pants once established with some success and fall apart. Then again he could suck also...I guess we will find out. But putting stats up from a pretty bad year will not define him...just as 7-6 doesn't define Hoyer as a WINNER...I saw his last four games...when it was all on the line and he Flat Out CHOKED....don't forget those stats. The worst recorded NFL QB statistically for a 4 game stretch...according to PFF.

As your moniker shows...you cannot dress up a Pig or in that case one ugly dawg...lol laugh

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
Oustide of your second "clip", that 0-line looked horrible. Not saying that pardons McCown, but let's get real.

To those who pass off McCown's extremely high INT Rate/%, the backup to McCown in 2014 was Mike Glennon.

Glennon took over for McCown in the 2nd qtr of the 3rd game game (Bucs vs Falcons), McCown hurt his thumb and was replaced by Glennon.

Glennon finished the Falcons game and started the next 5 games, until McCown's thumb healed. Glennon had 6 ints. in 203 pass attempts for an INT % of 3.00.

McCown's int % was "a NFL high" for starting QBs of 4.30 (14 ints in 327 attempts), PLAYING BEHIND THE SAME OFFENSIVE LINE.

So, those looking to pass off McCown's high INT % as being the fault of Bucs offensive line...that same offensive line did a pretty good job for Glennon.

Also, McCown had the highest int % throwing to one of the best and tallest WR/TE units in the NFL.

McCown's ability to take care of the football could be a problem.

mac #975966 07/12/15 08:40 AM
E
Legend
Legend
E
Hard to tell by stats Mac...possibly when Glennon the back up came in they played a less spread O and had added protection (Max) for him. Possibly the Defense figured a back up QB is in - lets close down the run game and over play that and let the back up beat us???

Got to watch all the games to make the proper determination on what really happened. All I know is the Bucs sucked regardless who was the QB. McCown didn't help much but then again he will never be the QB to carry a team on his back and Make them winners. He never had that PATS opportunity or that Green Bay Opportunity to step into a GREAT Situation. Like Flynn did or like Cassel did. He's always been on bottom feeders. So question is - are we bottom feeders or are we a team ready to break out?!?

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:
but what gives you the right to tell others what they can discuss or not discuss? Who the hell are you?

Did I tell others what they can or cannot discuss? Where is that exactly? Looks like you're the one butchering words. I said the conversation is about the two QBs is exhausting....and it is. Please take your own advice and move along if it is a comment you do not like.

And you told someone to shut up. No butchering words there. Don't back track now. Own up to it.

One more thing-- Why do you feel the constant need to blatantly lie and make up stuff about what posters say? You do it to everyone, get called on it ALL THE TIME, and never back it up. Please stop. You're only adding to the foolishness you already exhibit with your numerous suspensions.

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: DevilDawg2847

So basically you just told him to "shut up" because you didn't like his post/topic... you just used more words than he did. Nice. I understand your point though, if Memphis is Ms. Cleo enough to know that you are going to tell him to shut up, he ought to be psychic enough to know that a post contains more rehashed McCown vs. Hoyer dribble before he gets a chance to actually read it.

Now that's funny right there.

Hey - call me a homer or whatever you like, coz I don't give a ratz patootie ! - I am of the opinion McCown will play towards the best of the ability he has shown in his time in the NFL and not the worst. And that is because I have faith in our running game being above average and our OL.... and I am also feeling good about our OC. I also think that our slot WR (Hawkins) is among the elite slot guys in the NFL. I think Gabriel could have a breakout year .... I think Hartline will be solid - and I am hoping Bowe is not washed up (of all the WR's I have the least faith in Bowe).

SO ... instead of crying about our team and heaping misery upon misery - crack open a drink, grab some pom-poms and lets all do a dance about our improved 2015/2016 Browns. . . . and while we are at it lets toast our text gate GM mastermind Farmer who is undoubtedly putting an awesome team together. Rah rah rah.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
mac #975978 07/12/15 09:57 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I would feel better about our QB position if we had traded for Mike Glennon. He may not be great but I think he can be a Flacco and at this point that would push us into the playoffs.

mgh888 #975983 07/12/15 10:31 AM
M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Along the same subject...McCown's ability to take care of the football...

FUMBLES...

In overall fumbles, McCown was tied for 4th most in the NFL with 10 fumbles..in 11 starts.

In fumbles lost, McCown was tied for 3rd most in the NFL with 4 lost fumbles..in 11 starts.
link

In the area of SACKS and SK%...

In the area of sack %, McCown is tied for 2nd place with Alex Smith with 8.17%, among active QBs over their careers.

(McCown's 2014 sk% was 9.9)

...sk% = Percentage of Time Sacked when Attempting to Pass - Times Sacked / (Passes Attempted + Times Sacked)

...to qualify as a leader = Minimum 14 attempts + sacks per scheduled game

...to qualify as a career leader = Minimum 1500 pass attempts.

link

McCown's sack % for 2014 ranked him at 32 (out of 34) for the 3rd worst sk% of 9.9 .
Only Robert Griffin and Blake Bortles were worse than McCown's 9.9.
Peyton Manning and Nick Foles tied for the best sk% with 2.8 .

Mike Glennon's sack% for 2014 was 7.3 which would have tied him for 10th in the NFL, if he had the required number of pass attempts.

link

Does McCown tend to panic when under pressure?..leading to sacks, ints, fumbles?

Or, is all the fault of Tampa Bay's offensive line?

What these numbers say to me...Josh McCown has a lot of work to do.

mac #975986 07/12/15 11:17 AM
M
Legend
Legend
M
mac - I know you wanted to keep Hoyer (well I believe that's what you have posted).

It's your prerogative to examine statistics ad infinitum ... but I don't think it makes a difference with where we are at now. It's real simple - Hoyer is with the Texans. I wish him well. I hope that the spectacularly awful play from much of the second half of last season was a result of him wearing down after he pushed himself so hard to come back from the injury he sustained vs the Bills. My heart and gut says otherwise - we will all soon know.

McCown is a Brown - and none of his previous stats on any team or period of time are conclusive of how he will play for the Browns. He's probably not going to be as good as some of the games he played for Chicago - and he probably won't be as bad as last year with an awful Tampa team. . . . and while you are free to do it - I don't understand the relevance of any of that now. Just like someone saying we should have traded for Cousins, or Glennon or Brady ... those "we should have" speculations are completely redundant. Not only do we not know if we could have, if we tried, what the cost would have been (Sam Bradford for two first rounders?!! No thanks) we don't know if the Browns tried or didn't try and who was on their radar .... What we do know is McCown is a Brown and not very far into the future we'll be able to say [1] He played better than Hoyer did last year (and maybe this year for Houston) [2] He played about the same [3] He played worse than Hoyer. . . .

How many times he fumbled, didn't fumble, threw the ball away, threw it high, had it batted, not batted, completions off play action, incompletions off play action, etc ... all on different teams under completely different circumstances ... can help you form your opinion, but they don't prove one thing or another.

As I stated - I believe he'll play towards the high end of what he's shown he is capable of. It seems you think he'll play like a total bum. That's fine - and soon we will know. I can (again) state what I would have wished for this off season but it won't change anything. I can tell you why I wanted who I wanted. But it won't change anything. . . .

An easier bottom line we might be able to agree on - average play out of the Browns QB will see the Browns be in virtually every game with a better than average chance to win. . . . we don't have to agree on the likelihood of that, but do you agree to that premise?

The more things change the more they stay the same.
mac #975990 07/12/15 11:28 AM
S
Rookie
Rookie
S
Originally Posted By: mac
I've been taking some of time during this slow period before camp starts on July 30, to do some background on our starting QB, Josh McCown.

His basic stat line for 2014 is below.

.....................G..GS...QBrec...Cmp ...Att...Cmp%...Yds....TD...Int...Y/A....Y/C...Y/G......Rate...QBR....Sk..Yds..
Josh McCown 11...11..1-10-0...184....327...56.3....2206...11...14...6.7....12.0..200.5....70.5...35.71..36...235..

I've done some film study and one observation I noted...McCown either likes to throw a high pass or when under pressure, he throws the ball high. My concern is more Ints. due to overthrowing the ball.

Last year, throwing the ball high might have been intentional because McCown's WRs and TEs were huge targets.
WRs..Mike Evans, 6-5
.....Vincent Jackson, 6-5
.....Louis Murphy, 6-2
TEs..Austin Jenkins, 6-6
.....Brandon Myers, 6-4

With targets this size, McCown did not need to be so accurate with his passes, especially throwing a high ball.

McCown did have 14 ints in 11 games. McCown had the highest interception rate among starting QBs in the NFL with a 4.30 percentage.
Int Rate-Int %

Considering the huge targets McCown had to throw to, I would predict a much lower Int %.

I hope McCown does great don't get me wrong and if Hoyer were here I would hope for the same but can someone explain how a QB is expected to throw well to guys like Gabriel and Hawkins when he was constantly overthrowing 6-5 guys? I know we have a better O-line than TB but if he can't throw with some pressure in his face we are in trouble. Also sometimes the QB can make the O-line as well. Remember when Weeden was at QB it was sack city and our O-line was getting a bad rap. Then Hoyer steps in and the ball came out quickly and on time. Big difference. I haven't seen much of McCown to comment but the rumblings sound like he's more like Weeden yhan a bigger more accurate version of Hoyer.

Legend
Legend
Come on, guys! What's up with all the negativity? With McCown as our starter and Manziel as our backup, what could possibly go wrong? rofl

mac #975994 07/12/15 12:16 PM
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
That's why he's a journeyman. Some day the Browns will figure out that this is not the road to successful QB play.

We are terrible
Mourgrym #975999 07/12/15 01:30 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: Mourgrym
I would feel better about our QB position if we had traded for Mike Glennon. He may not be great but I think he can be a Flacco and at this point that would push us into the playoffs.

I said this when people were talking about us getting a QB, pre McCown.

At least he is young with some upside.

Looks like Tampa Bay figured that one out too.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
mac #976003 07/12/15 02:07 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
mac, stop posting relevant stats. They don't mean anything at all. We can make better predictions by using scientific evidence, such as "I believe he will play well..."

brownie

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Josh McCown...

Link Copied to Clipboard