Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#979550 07/27/15 12:37 PM
R
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
R
Gun control.

This is a tough one. I’ don’t have a certain opinion on this controversy.

Here’s what I do think:

Having a gun for general self-protection seems more dangerous than effective.

For protection against home invasion the gun has to be easily accessible. Every day. For an event that is highly unlikely to ever happen. (hopefully)

And an invader is not going to give you much leeway. Where can you keep a gun for emergency access? On the night stand? Under your bed? To be useful in this situation, the gun’s always gotta be loaded.

As for personal protection:

I consider myself as having a “normal range temper”. There’s been occasions in my life when, if I had a gun on my person, I might have pulled it out. Situations that didn’t really warrant a gun.

In defense of private gun ownership:

1) Guns used in sport by an experienced user are a lot of fun.
2) If you don’t have a gun, you’re at the complete mercy of someone who does.

This is all my naive, poorly-informed opinion. I’d love to read other opinions on this.

Legend
Legend
oh boy.....

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Not true at all. But I understand that kind of mentality. It usually comes from those who are paranoid, and weak.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PerfectSpiral
Quote:

Not true at all. But I understand that kind of mentality. It usually comes from those who are paranoid, and weak.

Well you finally posted something you know about. Good show!

Legend
Legend
Quote:
For protection against home invasion the gun has to be easily accessible. Every day. For an event that is highly unlikely to ever happen. (hopefully)

Leaving a gun loaded, unlocked, and easily accessible is irresponsible gun ownership. A child, or anyone for that matter, could pick it up and turn it on whoever they wish, maybe you. Which is much more likely to happen than you needing it for protection.

– Jackie Robinson
Legend
Legend
i think background checks need to include actual mental health checks as well. as in access to it.

I just sold all of my weapons from an....incident that left me pretty scared of myself.
So now i got a baseball bat. which is plenty.

other than that. whatever. people love their guns more than life itself half the time, at this point i really don't care. i've noticed the people who "need" a gun to "defend" themselves are typically just insecure and probably couldn't handle anybody in a fist fight(basically they're a bunch of george zimmermans)

let them have their guns so they can feel good about themselves.

que the angry responses....

Last edited by Swish; 07/27/15 12:57 PM.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: 40YEARSWAITING
Quote:

Well you finally posted something you know about. Good show!

Yes, I do know about it. So have you ever disarmed anyone holding a gun on you?

– Jackie Robinson
Legend
Legend
i know i haven't.

but there's so many scenario's involved with that.

it's all but impossible to disarm a guy unless he's(stupidly) holding a barrel directly touching any part of your body.

most stand back and aim.

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
You mean by shooting him first?

Legend
Legend
Home defense and having a gun goes hand in hand. Even with 10 kids in the house, it can be done safely while having you ready for action when needed. It is rather easy to defend the home.

On the streets is where it gets more difficult.

Legend
Legend
You mean by shooting him first?

LOL Good one

– Jackie Robinson
Legend
Legend
Home defense and having a gun goes hand in hand. Even with 10 kids in the house, it can be done safely while having you ready for action when needed..

Let's hear it, how do you do it?

– Jackie Robinson
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I learned how to take a gun away from an assailant in a martial arts class once. There's just one problem. The assailant has to be within reach. How would you deal with someone pointing a gun at you when they are out of reach. Will you vomit on or urinate yourself like some liberals have recommended?

[Linked Image from s2.excoboard.com]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Home defense and having a gun goes hand in hand. Even with 10 kids in the house, it can be done safely while having you ready for action when needed..

You carry it. I find a holster works best.

[Linked Image from s2.excoboard.com]
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C

I have in-wall touch key lock boxes in the rooms where I keep guns. Next to my bed, in my office, and in my family room. Also have a gun safe.

Call me paranoid if you want, but the last thing I ever want to think to myself is "I wish I had my gun easily accessible" because odds are that would be your last thought.

#gmstrong
A
Legend
Legend
A
It's almost ironic you posted this today.

I have a dog. He usually sleeps with my daughter, but she's gone for the week, so Dummy the dog is forced to sleep in my bed. (my wife works nights - leaves just after 10 pm, comes home at 7:05 am. Religiously.

Dummy the dog, in his just over 1 year of being here, has barked in the middle of the night exactly 3 times. 2 were when my wife came home early from work, which I knew about ahead of time, so when he barked on those occasions, I just laid in bed knowing who was here, hearing the garage door open. Of course, Dummy didn't know to expect someone at that time of the morning, so he did what a dog should do: Barked.

The 3rd time he barked in the middle of the night was Sunday morning, as my wife had gone to a concert in Detroit and she came home at 2 a.m. Again, that's an abnormal time for someone to be coming home. He barked until my wife got in the house. I did nothing because I knew what was going on.

Good dog.

However, last night, at about 3 a.m., he started barking, ran out of the bedroom and was barking and growling towards the door into the garage.

Hearing his very first bark, of course I woke up. I knew my wife wasn't supposed to be coming home at that time, I heard no garage door. And in the 3-5 seconds it took for me to realize "something must be up", I had a phone - but I knew I couldn't call 911 "because my dog barked", so I had to investigate. It was up to me. And investigate I did.

As I walked into the dark living room, following the growling towards the door, I also had one other item with me.

Keep in mind, prior to Dummy barking, I had heard nothing.

With him barking and growling at the door to the garage, I figured "issue is out there, in the garage". Turned the garage lights on from inside the house, then I opened the door, ready for anything.

Dummy ran into the garage. I was more or less crouched behind the wall, by the door opening.

Nothing. As I entered the garage, the doors were closed, locked...nothing had been disturbed. Peaked outside, nothing.

I don't know what made Dummy bark, but something did. As I've stated, he's not a barker for "no reason". Any time someone comes over, we know they've pulled in to our driveway before we hear a vehicle, because Dummy knows that "mom, dad, sis are all here, but I hear a vehicle, so I'm going to bark."

Good dog - all 16 1/2 pounds of him. He did his job, but, he's not stopping an intruder, even though I know he'd try.

I tell you that, to tell you this: I felt scared, not knowing what was out there. I live in the country. The last time (and ONLY time) I called 911 was at 4 a.m. with a drugged up loony beating on my front door. (this was "pre-dog") Took the deputy close to 20 minutes to get here. I can't fault the sheriff's office - they can only afford to have 2 deputies on duty for the whole county during the night hours.

My home protection is up to me. (and my dog makes it a lot easier.)

A
Legend
Legend
A
I have a gun safe. Locked at all times. I have a gun cabinet, locked, but it has glass doors. No ammo, no mags, no nothing in there that would make those shotguns and rifles anymore dangerous than a baseball bat.

I also have a handgun safe beneath my bed. When I'm not in bed, it's locked. So, my one handgun is either locked up or on me. All other guns are in safes, or the gun cabinet.

Very safe.

Not as safe as having no guns in the house. But very safe.

My wife doesn't even know where the keys are to the safe or cabinet.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Not trying to make light of the situation, but maybe you need to invest in one of these:

Just remember that you can't cross the streams.

Or you could just remember to do as the song says.

Legend
Legend
1-Good locks on all doors and windows. I know that good locks only keep out honest people but this is where you start. Telescopic door locks make the doors one solid piece and it will take a lot of effort to break down the door. Teach the kids how to unlock those locks in case of fire. Practice it with your family fire drills! You do have family fire drills don't you?

2-Make sure no one can get into your castle without making a hell of a racket! Noise will alert you that the swish has arrived!

3.You will jump up and get your bearings from all the noise! You will pull open your nightstand drawer to find your small gun safe that can only be opened by you! They have many kinds with different security systems from wearing a special ring to only opening with your personal hand! You will withdraw your fully loaded handgun and you will go from being a gutless sheep to the Manly Sheepdog, protector of the flock! That gun of yours can also be fitted with technology that make you the only person on the planet to be able to fire it.

4-You take up your defensive position at the top of the stairs, out of sight but watching. Your wife calls 911. NO STINKING LIGHTS! Lights make you feel safe but LIGHTS ARE FOR SISSIES! You don't want to back light yourself and provide the bad guy with a nice Silhouette to shoot at!

5-You are fighting a defensive battle, do not attack! Let him take your stuff while you wait for POPO!

6-You can yell down that you are a Conservative Christian and if the guy is a Liberal, he will pee and puke and slip as he runs for the exits!

A
Legend
Legend
A
I know you're jabbing me a bit, and that's fine. But, the crime rate here is escalating. It's nothing like city life, don't get me wrong.

Thefts, I should say.

Not too long ago, one of my neighbors - truck driver - went home at 7 am and found 3 people running out of his house. No vehicle in his driveway by the way. He's all of 5'6", 130 lbs, but he's not someone to mess with.......as the people ran through the field, he followed them while on the phone with 911. Yup, he drove through the field, saw them get in a car that was parked on the road. Followed them till the cops caught up.

They got busted.

So, my concerns about home safety ARE valid.

And what Dummy was barking at/about I have no idea, but he's not prone to just going ballistic in the middle of the night.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I don't understand why people have such a problem with people using firearms to protect their homes. I'm all for making sure the background checks that are in place become more efficient and effective, but to try to make a logical argument against a strong home security baffles me.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Not a jab, Arch. Trust me on that.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
I don't understand why people have such a problem with people using firearms to protect their homes. I'm all for making sure the background checks that are in place become more efficient and effective, but to try to make a logical argument against a strong home security baffles me.

Most people have no clue how to protect their homes with a weapon. I wish people would take some room clearing training. How to stack on the wall, angles, etc.

But anyways, I'm all for protection in the home.

MY issue comes from the insecure losers who feel they need to be strapped up like Rambo out in PUBLIC. My kids still talk about that nonsense.

Living in the south and these guys walking around Wal mart with rifles. Looking like they couldn't win a fight AT ALL.

- Theodore Roosevelt
A
Legend
Legend
A
Around here, we call it "slice the pie".

Legend
Legend
That's why I prefer concealed carry. Nobody don't know nuttin.
Ain't no thang till its a thang.

Legend
Legend
Quote:
handgun safe beneath my bed

Not locked. Not in sight. Not safe.

– Jackie Robinson
Legend
Legend
I keep my gun in a cardboard box, on my dresser, with huge letters saying "GUN!".

No one would ever think to look there. rofl

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

She has her own safe then?

– Jackie Robinson
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
I keep my gun in a cardboard box, on my dresser, with huge letters saying "GUN!".

I keep mine in a file that says readme.txt

– Jackie Robinson
A
Legend
Legend
A
Quote:

Selective "quoting". Perhaps you should read what I ACTUALLY wrote??? Here, I'll show you again: " a handgun safe beneath my bed. When I'm not in bed, it's locked

When I'm in bed, it's safe.

However, how does "not in sight" make it unsafe? That one baffles me.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: archbolddawg
Quote:

Selective "quoting". Perhaps you should read what I ACTUALLY wrote??? Here, I'll show you again: " a handgun safe beneath my bed. When I'm not in bed, it's locked

If it's out of sight are you sure it's still there? And is it locked? No. Is it loaded? Yes. Is it safe? No.

– Jackie Robinson
A
Legend
Legend
A
Originally Posted By: archbolddawg
Quote:

If it's out of sight are you sure it's still there? And is it locked? No. Is it loaded? Yes. Is it safe? No.

What are you talking about? It's locked up if I'm not in bed.

When I AM in bed, it's fine. Safe, and fine.

Is it loaded? You tell me. If it is, it's in a holster. If it isn't, it's still in a holster and it takes literally 1 second to load it.

What is your experience with guns? Rifles, shotguns, pistols, handguns.

Legend
Legend
He once killed a Gofer with a stick. rofl

Legend
Legend

Now I would have thought you'd have a gun in a hollowed out bible so you can read them their last rights! wink

#GMSTRONG
A
Legend
Legend
A
Quote:

She has her own safe then?

No.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Not having a gun is stupid.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: CHSDawg

No, really it's not. It's simply a choice. Just like having one is a choice.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
Originally Posted By: CHSDawg

No, really it's not. It's simply a choice. Just like having one is a choice.

A gun is a TOOL like any tool if used properly it is safe to have. I am more afraid of the guy down the road and gets plastered and gets behind the wheel of his car or bike than I am of my neighbor who owns guns.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Tulsa

Now I would have thought you'd have a gun in a hollowed out bible so you can read them their last rights! wink

I shoot to wound, and then make them listen to me reading them the Bible. wink After a few hours, I call the police.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... The Second Amendment - guns

Link Copied to Clipboard