Next Thread
Print Thread
#983308 08/08/15 05:12 PM
D
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
D
So a few years ago I started taking more of an interest in a lot of the foreign martial arts films. I think what really kicked it for me waaaay back though were the movies Jackie Chan starred in when he came over to the U.S. market. After Jet Li made his U.S. debut in Lethal Weapon 4, he too started turning out movies over here. Unleashed I think is my favorite Jet movie because not only is he brutal, but I think he shows some legit acting skills. But I started to get in to the foreign produced ones after watching Ong Bak and The Protector starring Tony Ja. I had gotten used to the Kung Fu style movies and it was really cool to see a different style showcased (in this case Muy Thai).

The most recent ones I've watched that actually have serious budgets I would highly recommend:

13 Assassins
The Man from Nowhere
Firestorm
The Raid and the Raid 2. Raid 2 is actually one of the few films that are better IMO than the first.

Anybody else in to this genre? Any other titles you'd recommend? I don't mind subtitles and I like all sorts of time periods.
Any other Dawgs out there in to this

"Hey, I'm a reasonable guy. But I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."
-Jack Burton

-It looks like the Harvard Boys know what they are doing after all.
Legend
Legend
Bro Raid? omg...the action in that movie. them going floor to floor having to battle everybody. the last fight scene with the 2 brothers vs that one boss dude? i'll never forget that.

Definitely gotta check out some Tony Jaa movies. The protector series, Oon bak.

Donnie Yen is a really good martial arts actor as well. Ip Man, Ip Man 2.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
While not a hand to hand action movie, City of God might be the greatest movie I've ever seen. Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance, The Man from Nowhere, Lady Vengeance, Oldboy and Outrage are all good modern, Asian, organized crime movies. This last group falls in line more with your OP tho:
Zatoichi, and Hara Kiri.

I used to have a list somewhere, if I can find it I'll paste it here smile

Legend
Legend
I like the ones where the sound isn't synced to the acton.

#GMSTRONG
D
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
D
Man, you'll LOVE Raid 2 then.. it picks up right where Raid ended.

I think one of my all time favorite action scenes of any movie is in the Raid, when they are going down the hallway and he pulls out his night stick and combat knife and just delivers a straight up @$$ whoopin!

Oh, and yeah, Donnie Yen is pretty awesome too!

Last edited by DevilDawg2847; 08/09/15 06:53 AM.

"Hey, I'm a reasonable guy. But I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."
-Jack Burton

D
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
D
Thanks! That would be awesome!

-Jack Burton

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
"The Seven Samurai"...a true classic. Came out in 1954 with English sub-titles. In black and white of course but full of action, a great storyline...I have watched it several times over the years. This is one that you should not miss watching...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
D
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: bbrowns32
"The Seven Samurai"...a true classic. Came out in 1954 with English sub-titles. In black and white of course but full of action, a great storyline...I have watched it several times over the years. This is one that you should not miss watching...

Yeah, its been a super long time since I've seen that... maybe 20yrs??? IIRC, it was also the basis for the American Western The Magnificent Seven. I've heard that a lot of Westerns were based off of many Asian films or storylines. I don't know how true that is, but I can certainly see many similarities.

-Jack Burton

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... Foreign Action Films

Link Copied to Clipboard