Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#984257 08/11/15 05:57 PM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
If he can help... Not sure who goes bye-bye because of it but we aren't keeping 5 RBs and a FB...

I know some will say no way because what he did in that elevator... I'd be willing to give the guy another chance if he can play.

yebat' Putin
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
If he can play I sign him as well ... The writing is on the wall that our current RBs are not cutting it (or aren't available to prove that they can cut it)

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
I bring him in on a cheap "show-me" deal. Cut Draughn.

Legend
Legend
I say no way.

I don't want a dirtbag like that on my team, and I would hate to have to root for a Cleveland Browns player lose 10 yards on every carry ... but I would have to if he was on the team.

I would also add that he started falling apart in Baltimore before he was banned by the league for his infamous and repulsive actions.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
If he can play I sign him as well ... The writing is on the wall that our current RBs are not cutting it (or aren't available to prove that they can cut it)

I was kind of hoping that drafting Duke Johnson would show Crowell and West that they didn't have a lock on the job and needed to work even harder, evidently I was wrong...

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: CanadaDawg
I bring him in on a cheap "show-me" deal. Cut Draughn.

Draughn probably isn't going anywhere. The coaching staff really likes him.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Ray Rice playing for the Browns? It's been discussed in Cleveland

BEREA, Ohio—No critical mass has been reached in Cleveland’s backfield just yet, but with the Browns clearly dissatisfied with their young rushers early this preseason, file away the Browns as one of the more logical and likely landing spots for former Baltimore running back Ray Rice.

Browns coach Mike Pettine acknowledged to SI.com Tuesday that the club has discussed signing Rice, who has been out of the league since being released by Baltimore last September, the day the infamous elevator surveillance camera footage of his attack on his then fiancee surfaced.

Pettine was asked if the Browns were considering adding a veteran to the mix at running back, to go with second-year players Isaiah Crowell and Terrance West and rookie third-round pick Duke Johnson. “We’ve talked about it, but I don’t think we’re there at this point,” Pettine said.

Could that veteran be Rice? Pettine was quick to point out the ties he and at least one member of his coaching staff have with Rice.

“Of course it’s a natural question here because of [Browns running backs coach] Wilbert [Montgomery], and because I was with Ray when he was a Ravens rookie (in 2008) and know a lot of people in Baltimore,” Pettine said. “Obviously Wilbert was his position coach for Ray’s first six years in the league (2008–13). I’m not going to say it didn’t come up in discussion, but at this point we’re not there yet.”
Rice never played in Baltimore for any other running backs coach but Montgomery, unless you count the 2014 preseason, just before his career went into hibernation. Under Montgomery, Rice earned three Pro Bowl berths, and topped more than 1,100 rushing yards and 1,600 yards from scrimmage in four consecutive seasons (2009–12). His 9,214 yards from scrimmage in '08–13 ranked fourth overall in the NFL in that span. In addition, Pettine served as the Ravens’ outside linebackers coach in 2008, before leaving for a job on Rex Ryan’s staff with the Jets the following year.

Rice, 28, continues to generate little or no interest on the NFL’s free-agent market, in part because he had the worst season of his career in 2013 (the most recent season he played), averaging just 3.1 yard per carry and rushing for just 660 yards, and in part because of how radioactive his name became as the face of the league’s domestic violence problem. The running-back needy Cardinals reportedly offered another veteran free-agent rusher, ex-Jets and Titans star Chris Johnson, a one-year deal on Tuesday, but Rice still remains a man without a team.

Asked if Rice’s recent controversial past would preclude him from being signed in Cleveland, or whether anyone in the Browns organization viewed him as untouchable because of the potential for a public backlash to his arrival, Pettine said his club would deal with that question only when the need for a veteran runner became pressing enough.
“I don’t think it’s gotten to that point, to say, ‘Hey, I’d kind of be comfortable with it,’” Pettine said. “But I think it would get to that point if we arrived at it from a football standpoint, then asked that question. Instead of working the process backwards. Why bother with asking the question if the need never presents itself?”

Perhaps the first game or two of the Browns preseason schedule will help determine the level of need in the backfield, one way or another.

In Browns camp on Aug. 9, Montgomery pulled few punches in critiquing the first two weeks of work turned in by his top three running backs, bemoaning that no one had seized the lead in the competition for the No. 1 job—“Nobody wants the role”—and labeling it “a total setback” that some of his backs had reported to camp in less than top condition. Montgomery also reminded his group that running backs have to play through pain and injuries at times.

West missed time last week with a calf strain, returning to practice over the weekend, while Johnson has battled a lingering hamstring problem that cost him the Browns’ intrasquad scrimmage on Saturday in Columbus, and will sideline him for Cleveland’s preseason opener against visiting Washington on Thursday. In addition, Crowell, last year’s second-leading rusher for the Browns with 603 yards, has yet to distance himself from the pack, and the whole picture in the backfield has been troubling for a team that hopes to build its offense around a strong and consistent running game.
Pettine called the fact that his top three running backs didn’t report to camp in great condition “disappointing,” adding “it was Duke as well. It was the three of them. That’s a tough deal to have, three guys in that room and they struggled. They struggled early and two of them obviously got hurt.”

Montgomery’s unvarnished message-sending had the full blessing of his boss, the Browns second-year head coach. “I don’t want my assistants saying anything publicly that they wouldn’t tell the player to his face,” Pettine said. “But Wilbert’s old-school, blunt force trauma, however you want to categorize it. That’s Wilbert. I had no issue with that. Those young guys, sometimes they need a bucket of cold water thrown in their face, and Wilbert’s just the man for the job.”

http://www.si.com/nfl/2015/08/11/ray-rice-cleveland-browns-mike-pettine-wilbert-montgomery

being a browns fan is like taking your dog to vet every week to be put down...
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
thanks pb ... can't blame Pett for testing the waters of fan reaction

IMO Cleveland is one of the more likely spots for him to land ... along with Dallas and NE

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Originally Posted By: DCDAWGFAN

I was kind of hoping that drafting Duke Johnson would show Crowell and West that they didn't have a lock on the job and needed to work even harder, evidently I was wrong...

I actually have a hunch that more is being made of Montgomery's comments than needed. I think his comments were to reflect is that for someone to be a starter, they need to play while banged up. I think our RB core is fine....but Rice would be an upgrade over the unproven guys and, if he could reestablish his old form, an upgrade over everyone. Its just a matter of if you're willing to deal with the PR fallout.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
thanks pb ... can't blame Pett for testing the waters of fan reaction

IMO Cleveland is one of the more likely spots for him to land ... along with Dallas and NE

maybe the eagles?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Just say no !

P
Legend
Legend
P
I just don't see it happening. In 2013 Rice only rushed for 660 yards and 3.1 per carry. He hit that RB wall from having too many miles on those legs. I simply don't believe he would be of help at the RB position.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
I just don't see it happening. In 2013 Rice only rushed for 660 yards and 3.1 per carry. He hit that RB wall from having too many miles on those legs. I simply don't believe he would be of help at the RB position.

yea... but he never ran behind a o-line like we have.......

Legend
Legend
Quote:
I don't want a dirtbag like that on my team

thumbsup

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
We aren't running a church league team (Although we play like it every year)

If he can help win games, sign him up.

I'll even donate my niece for him to beat up on if we can win a Super Bowl.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: TopDawg16
We aren't running a church league team (Although we play like it every year)

If he can help win games, sign him up.

I'll even donate my niece for him to beat up on if we can win a Super Bowl.

Now that's the kinda attitude I like! lol!!!

I just might give him another chance too, but am not certain about that.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
we don't need a washed up wife beating piece of trash influencing our young players. NO THANKS!!!

You can't fix stupid but you can destroy ignorance. When you destroy ignorance you remove the justifications for evil. If you want to destroy evil then educate our people. Hate is a tool of the stupid to deal with what they can't understand.
C
Legend
Legend
C
I really don't care about a player's character if they can help my team win.

With that said, the last time Ray Rice played football he was not very good. He averaged 3.1 yards per carry in 2013. That is horrible.

When it comes to running backs, I am of the opinion that are plenty out there. If you don't have one you like, cut him and sign a new one. Wash, rinse, repeat.

We should have at least two serviceable backs in Crowell and Johnson. I don't really see the point in bringing in a player who is not even good anymore.

D
Legend
Legend
D
I'm going to pass. Let's enjoy this season without the hardcore media circus. Rice will bring that back.

Also as YTown said, his performance had started to decline. Surely there are better options if the staff feels we need to add another back. Just no Ray Rice.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
With West, Johnson and the other back all down, Crow probably did feel like he needed to ease off the pedal and stay healthy instead of ripping it up and risking injury. I dont think we need him but if we bring him in, he may be good for the RB room.

C
Legend
Legend
C
I don't see how Rice being on the team helps in any way. He is probably worse than all three of Crowell, West, and Johnson (I can be talked out of West). He will not contribute on special teams (like most 4th string running backs do). And he will expect touches because he has been a starter his whole career.

If Rice was any good someone would have already signed him.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
His legs are shot. No thanks.

C
1st String
1st String
C
He's a good back,and would fit in I think. Depends on how much the Browns are willing to deal with the PR hit in the headlines though. They just had a historically bad year for tabloid news in Gordon,JM and Farmer...so another round of media focus,(the wrong kind) may not be a distraction they want on their plate.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Ray Rice averaged 3.1 yards per carry the last time he played. He is not a good back.

C
1st String
1st String
C
I know what he averaged. But I still think he's got some stuff left.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
jc...

The fact that the Browns are admitting that they are "discussing" bringing in Ray Rice, kind makes me believe they would rather some other team sign him.

It's kind of like floating a trial balloon to gauge the public opinion before pulling the trigger. You don't telegraph a move you really want to make like this.

That said, I have no problem signing him to a show me contract. I have no problem with giving a guy a second chance if they show remorse.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: mac
I have no problem with giving a guy a second chance if they show remorse.

Fair enough. I guess it would depend on how well he would be received in the locker room, and what does he bring to our team...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Originally Posted By: bbrowns32
Originally Posted By: mac
I have no problem with giving a guy a second chance if they show remorse.

Fair enough. I guess it would depend on how well he would be received in the locker room, and what does he bring to our team...

I agree. I'm not opposed to a second chance with two big IFs

IF the leaders of the team can accept that as well
IF he can be an upgrade

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
I say no way.

I don't want a dirtbag like that on my team, and I would hate to have to root for a Cleveland Browns player lose 10 yards on every carry ... but I would have to if he was on the team.

I would also add that he started falling apart in Baltimore before he was banned by the league for his infamous and repulsive actions.

^This

M
Legend
Legend
M
I don't know how remorseful Ray Rice is - I have heard he was a model citizen before the incident, I have heard he has been completely remorseful since but I have no evidence of that. The one soundbite I heard, he talked about hitting his wife, and leaving her on the floor "as if she was nothing" - so it sounds on the surface of it that he is acknowledging what happened head on and with full acceptance which is as good an indication to me as anything that he is sincere.

If the leaders of the team, the FO were convinced of his remorse, and if we thought he would make us a better football team - I would give him a second chance. You do have to weigh the media circus that would come with the signing.

I *hope* this is all part of a plan by the FO to motivate the RB's who we have on the roster now.

Last edited by mgh888; 08/12/15 08:27 AM.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: mgh888

I *hope* this is all part of a plan by the FO to motivate the RB's who we have on the roster now.

If Wilbert's comments he made to the public aren't enough to motivate you, your own coach saying what he said, then I'm not sure anything would.

Legend
Legend
Why would anyone consider signing Ray Rice when Chris Johnson is still available?

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: clevesteve
Why would anyone consider signing Ray Rice when Chris Johnson is still available?

Motivation, maybe?

C. Johnson just doesn't give a "you know what" and Ray Rice has something to prove, I think.

That said, not enamored w/ either of them.

Tackles are tackles.
2nd String
2nd String
I think Clevesteve was joking Memphis...

Honestly, I don't know how ANYONE would be OK with signing this POS. That video showed me his character. I don't want that character any where near my young guys on this team. Remorseful? I believe he is remorseful that he was caught, but hearing him in the press immediately following the incident and then even immediately after the tape was leaked, his words weren't inline with remorse. Hell, his now wife seemed to take more of the blame than Rice did. Yes, now that he has had coaching on what and how to act, he seems like a standup guy, but he sure as hell didn't before his team of taught him how to act.

No way would I support this signing...even if he had a 1400 yard season instead of a 600 yard one his last time out.

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Another aged Ravens RB...didn't we learn with Willis McGahee

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: DCDAWGFAN

West has been injured and not practicing. Also there was an article yesterday saying that Crowell is listed as the starter for Thursday. As far as Duke, hey, he's nicked up. I'll reserve judgement.

I don't think you were wrong at all, I think Duke being drafted, will, once everyone is healthy, have your desired effect.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: IrishDawg42
I think Clevesteve was joking Memphis...

Nope. Not joking. Chris Johnson has better stats and is more durable than Rice. Better YPC, better recent production, still has legs. To me it's a no-brainer.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/11258/chris-johnson

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/11289/ray-rice

Personally, I wouldn't want to add any running back that is currently available, but the conversation should never get to Ray Rice.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Dawg_LB
Originally Posted By: mgh888

If Wilbert's comments he made to the public aren't enough to motivate you, your own coach saying what he said, then I'm not sure anything would.

That's true enough!

The more things change the more they stay the same.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
I say no way.

Yet so many people still love Jim Brown.

Tackles are tackles.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns Discussing Ray Rice

Link Copied to Clipboard