Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
eotab #983607 08/09/15 10:54 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
who cares about this list of people who do not play for the Browns? The vast majority are not even in the NFL anymore.

2013 Jason Campbell (8) / Brandon Weeden (5) / Brian Hoyer (3)
2012 Brandon Weeden (15) / Thad Lewis (We still care about him)
2011 Colt McCoy (13) / Seneca Wallace (3)
2010 Colt McCoy (8) / Jake Delhomme (4) / Seneca Wallace (4)
2009 Brady Quinn (9) / Derek Anderson (7)
2008 Derek Anderson (9) / Brady Quinn (3) / Ken Dorsey (3) / Bruce Gradkowski (1)
2007 Derek Anderson (15) / Charlie Frye (1)
2006 Charlie Frye (13) / Derek Anderson (3)
2005 Trent Dilfer (11) / Charlie Frye (5)
2004 Jeff Garcia (10) / Kelly Holcomb (2) / Luke McCown (4)
2003 Kelly Holcomb (8) / Tim Couch (8)

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
S
Legend
Legend
S
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan

Hoyer had a stretch of what ... 9 games, were he threw 5 TD passes and 12 INT. Hoyer was effective early on, then collapsed. That's the absolute truth.

His downward spiral started when the run game went to hell. Once Mack was out, it was a slow death.

The entire team, especially their defense played OUT OF THEIR MINDS in Cincinnati... But after that, we were horrible against Houston, lucky to get out of Atlanta against a bad Falcons team with a win. Hoyer played well but was really cleaning his own mess. The Buffalo and Indy games followed and we know how that went... The media and some fans seem to blame the horrible end of the year to Johnny, but all Johnny did was take over the controls of an already sinking ship. Yes, he was awful, and that's a whole different conversation.. I just can't stand hearing people, especially those in the media blame Johnny or Josh Gordon on our collapse. It was a total team thing, but a lot of it can be pointed to Brian Hoyer being nothing more than average.

With all that said, I'm cautiously optimistic about the way Manziel looked on Friday. Still a long way to go, and I don't think he's ready to take over or anyhting, but it seems like he is taking steps forward everyday wtih little to no setback.

I think McCown understands that he is the starter, but he's also on this team to help prep JM. Should there be a change, I don't think he's going to act like a baby about it. That had to be a huge talking point when they brought him in for contract talks...

eotab #983609 08/09/15 11:32 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

eotab #983611 08/09/15 11:36 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
-JC-

No one can say for sure what happened last year IMO. Was it Mack going down? Was it our scheme was figured out after teams had some game film. Was it the lack of run game which can go back to Q1? It was probably a combination of all of those things truthfully.

But the fact remains Hoyer is gone. No amount of complaining is going to change that. I personally think Hoyer and McCown are Interchangeable. Both are not long term solutions to it's not really worth arguing over.

I really hope Johnny is the guy. I'd like to have that position finally figured out. But what worries me is 1) He's not the guy and we don't have a Franchise QB and 2) We will win enough games to put us out of position to get that guy in the draft. Just like we won 4 games and missed out on Luck.

I think this defense will be good enough to win us 5 games. If we can get some decent QB play we will be close to 7 games again. We will will be looking at that second tier guy.

[Linked Image from mypsn.eu.playstation.com]
eotab #983614 08/09/15 11:48 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Johnny Manziel thrives at scrimmage, but Pettine backs Josh McCown

By Sean Wagner-McGough | Staff Writer
August 9, 2015 3:20 pm ET

Manziel is improving, but is still stuck behind McCown on the depth chart.

Johnny Manziel lit up the practice field during the Browns' Orange and Brown scrimmage at Ohio Stadium on Friday night, but head coach Mike Pettine continues to support Josh McCown as the Browns' starting quarterback.

During the scrimmage, Manziel completed 9-of-11 passes for 93 yards and two touchdowns, though it's certainly worth noting that Manziel was working with the second-team offense and playing against the second-team defense.

On one of his touchdown throws, Manziel rifled a perfectly-placed pass to Josh Lenz's back shoulder. What should be noted on the play is how Manziel's eyes go from the right side of the field to the left, which prevents the safety from helping the cornerback covering Lenz.

Here's another view of Manziel's throw, which demonstrates the perfect ball placement.

After the scrimmage, Manziel did his best to cool any overreactions resulting from his hot day.

"I wouldn't make a huge deal about it, but it's progress for me," Manziel said via the Northeast Ohio Media Group. "It's better than I played last year in the scrimmage. I'm happy about it and happy about stringing some good days together. That's what I wanted to do."

Despite Manziel's performance, Pettine isn't considering a re-ordering of the depth chart. He's sticking with McCown as the team's starter -- at least for now. Like Manziel, McCown also thrived during the scrimmage, leading the first-team offense to a touchdown and a field goal against the Browns' top defense.

Still, Manziel appears to be at least closing the gap on McCown. Even offensive tackle Joe Thomas, previously a critic of Manziel, praised him.

"He's really proved to a lot of people that this is important to him and he's ready to be an NFL starting quarterback," Thomas said. "Playing well in the scrimmage tonight and looking like an NFL quarterback is another good step in the direction that he wants to go. He's just earning that trust of his teammates that he's going to need to do if he wants to be that starter. He impressed a lot of people out here tonight."

Thomas did, however, echo Pettine's thoughts on which quarterback deserves to be starting.

"Josh has done so many good things that to me it's not really a conversation about who should be the starter right now," Thomas said.

But Pettine did say that Manziel will get time with the first team during the preseason. And if Manziel replicates his performance during real, live action, then his progress might become too hard for the Browns to ignore.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-foot...cks-josh-mccown

Vambo #983620 08/10/15 05:13 AM
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:
"I wouldn't make a huge deal about it, but it's progress for me," Manziel said via the Northeast Ohio Media Group. "It's better than I played last year in the scrimmage. I'm happy about it and happy about stringing some good days together. That's what I wanted to do."

I believe Manziel put his performance in proper context himself, with his comment above..not making a huge deal out of his scrimmage performance.

It was a positive step for a guy who is just trying to put a string of good practices together..he does appear to be on the right track.

But, Manziel knows Thursday night will be a better test for him...and for the rest of the QBs, too. Full go hitting with some defensive blitzes included will give a better idea of where the Browns offense is at this stage of the pre-season.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
mac #983625 08/10/15 06:48 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: mac

Full go hitting with some defensive blitzes included will give a better idea of where the Browns offense is at this stage ...

Yes, it will enhance what we currently know. Should be interesting...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
E
eotab Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
E
Sorry he just wasn't accurate...not even looking at stats. Looking at ball placement on his completed passes as well as the incomplete ones. But you are right he is gone and we talk about him way too much.

Manziel is just progressing. He is our best shot if he does progress to be a real NFL QB...Super you and maybe some others say its a disaster if Manziel doesn't win the starting QB spot. I don't understand what has McCown done in practice or the scrimmage that suggests that?

I know I know his body of work in his other seasons. Oh and excluding his season in Chicago cause that don't count.

It all about now. Keep in mind the ones were without Mack in the scrimmage.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
jc...

Against the skins, I will pay close attention to how Manziel and McCown handle the defensive pressure.

Pre snap reads, knowing where to go with the ball under blitz conditions. Hopefully McCown feels relaxed and confident behind our Oline.

On Manziel, I hope he stands in against the pressure and goes through progressions before breaking the pocket.

I'm hoping that Pryor gets a chance to play (wr).

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Damanshot
Originally Posted By: Jester
What struck me was Farmer's comment about having competition at a position without sabotaging your teammate.

Maybe we now know for sure why Hoyer is gone?

I'm not saying it had nothing to do with it.. but the Manziel that McCown is tutoring and working with is not even the same person that Hoyer had to deal with when he was here.

I can understand from Hoyer's perspective why he might not have been enthused about it. Primarily because Manziel wasn't working, he wasn't humble, he wasn't a team guy... he seems to have fixed those and become a good teammate and a coachable kid..

yebat' Putin
eotab #983835 08/10/15 04:48 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: eotab

Manziel is just progressing. He is our best shot if he does progress to be a real NFL QB...Super you and maybe some others say its a disaster if Manziel doesn't win the starting QB spot. I don't understand what has McCown done in practice or the scrimmage that suggests that?

I know I know his body of work in his other seasons. Oh and excluding his season in Chicago cause that don't count.

It all about now. Keep in mind the ones were without Mack in the scrimmage.

eo, if the Master Plan is to name McCown the starter just for the sake of not putting too much pressure on Johnny in training camp, that's OK with me.

Then, if they insert Johnny in game 1, 2 or 3 of the regular season as the starter, maybe there is a method to their madness.

I have zero confidence in McCown and not much more with Johnny, but you never know.
Maybe Johnny will be the next Sipe??
Did I really say that? I must be off my meds... brownie

Vambo #983844 08/10/15 05:02 PM
Legend
Legend
This is closer to what I wanted last year, for JM to get some sets in real NFL games and spell Hoyer. But we didn't. And I still think part of the drop off was Mack's injury and trying to force the ball to Gordon who might be on his route or not.

I liked what I saw much better at the Shoe out of the offense. Play of Schwartz could be major.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
Legend
Quote:
eo, if the Master Plan is to name McCown the starter just for the sake of not putting too much pressure on Johnny in training camp, that's OK with me.

Then, if they insert Johnny in game 1, 2 or 3 of the regular season as the starter, maybe there is a method to their madness.

Yea, I might have a problem with that for a couple reasons.. one you don't yank a guy like McCown around like that right up until the season starts and 2 you don't give the majority if reps to one guy if the plan is to insert another guy immediately just because you are worried he can't handle the pressure.

Unless some sort of wizardry happens and Manziel takes the job by preseason game #3, then you roll into the season with McCown and give him a chance to win some games.

yebat' Putin
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Yea DC
That sounds a bit more realistic.

E
eotab Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
E

Not quite what I was saying. Its not pressure its the fact that he is not ready.

22 now, He came from a ONE Read system. Shotgun Pistol spread. He reportedly ran 18 plays in his two years at Texas A&M so basically we are talking about a QB who didn't really have a play book (sounds familiar?).

It has nothing to do with pressure he came to us around 2 years away from being able to learn what he has to in becoming a real NFL QB.

Last year, I don't know I guess he got caught up in his celebrity and it went to his head. But so extreme it actually worked to his and our benefit cause he did something about it.

So far he looks dramatically on track. We got an excellent QB Coach to teach that is exactly what he has been doing the last couple of years taking these Shotgun QBs and TEACHING them how be an NFL QB.

Its a beginning he might be looking better than any prospect we had (from one scrimmage rolleyes )
but he knows he has a far ways to go. Which I think is great cause right now I think he is better than most of the prospects we started and he is just reaching the tip of the iceberg.

Will he continue on this path? I guess that is the question. But Super...he just is not ready. Its a new Offense let everyone gel into it. Let McCown who has a wealth of experience lead the team into the new offense. No rush. Hopefully our OL provides a pure pocket for McCown so that there will be no rush - in that case 8-8 to Wild Card playoff stuff is a possibility but McCown will not take us far into the playoffs.

I wish Manziel to take over more so because he just has passed McCown by and knows our offense like a seasoned vet. Not because McCown cannot play the game.

Manziel came to us last year with no knowledge of how hard he was going to have to work. No coach really pressed him that much (well not sure about the HS Coach) but even in college. Manziel hired the firm Connelly worked for (not at the same time) to teach him to be better in the pocket. Not in College coaches tutoring - on his own.

I'm glad he got hit in the head with a hammer last season. Best thing for him and us! Now he is on the right track and he has a lot more to learn.

Cross your fingers... fingerscrossed cause brace yourself, we might finally have gotten our ELITE QB!!!

Hopefully next season is his to shine. Meaning McCown shines and stays healthy himself.

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
eotab #984665 08/12/15 05:20 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Winners and losers from second week of camp

Moving Up

Johnny Manziel

It wasn't only Manziel's performance in Friday's scrimmage. He also strung together a handful of positive practices before the performance. Manziel is not competing with August Josh McCown. He's competing with November Josh McCown, who is likely to be struggling with a Browns team under .500. If Manziel continues to show progress this month, coach Mike Pettine will be more willing to move to Manziel down the stretch.

Link

Vambo #984675 08/12/15 05:30 PM
L
Legend
Legend
L
I clicked on that link and the guy running his mouth got on my nerves, but thanks Vambo for that snippet.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Johnny Manziel rests sore elbow but could be 'ready to roll' for Redskins

updated August 12, 2015 at 7:31 AM
link
BEREA, Ohio -- The only passes Johnny Manziel threw in practice on Tuesday were with his left arm because of soreness in his throwing elbow.

But coach Mike Pettine thinks Manziel will still play Thursday night in the preseason opener against the Redskins at FirstEnergy Stadium.

"We just wanted to rest it for the day,'' said Pettine. "We still let him go through everything else. It was just an accumulation of reps. It started to get a little sore. We would do that with any of the guys, but he was the one that was experiencing some stiffness."

As for Manziel playing in the game, he said, "Yeah, we're anticipating that."

The soreness came four days after Manziel emerged from the locker room after the scrimmage at Ohio Stadium Friday night with his right elbow wrapped in ice and an ace bandage. Manziel said, however, that he ices his arm after every practice.

"All of our quarterbacks ice down afterward,'' Pettine said. "Standard."

Pettine didn't specify how much Manziel will play Thursday night, and much of it will depend on how he feels after a day off on Wednesday. If he's still a little sore, Connor Shaw and Thad Lewis will take the bulk of the snaps after Josh McCown plays some or all of the first quarter.

"It'll be all an individualized plan,'' said Pettine. "You'll get some guys that are with the ones that might go into the second quarter. You might get some ones that don't play at all, and anything in between.''

McCown, who's been throwing the same amount as Manziel, said he's not experiencing camp arm.

"No, thankfully, I'm not,'' he said. "Especially as a young player, you want to get reps and you want to get out there and be out there with your guys, but...if you keep throwing on that thing, it can get worse and cause you to miss a lot of time.

"It's hard, but you have to be wise with it, be able to take a day off and hopefully, save yourself later.''

Browns quarterbacks coach Kevin O'Connell, a former NFL quarterback himself, knows when to shut down his guys.

"It just comes from the high volume of throws,'' he said. "He's obviously worked very, very hard every day, not only in camp, but prior to camp, to be ready. But with that just comes sometimes you've got to kind of help a guy out, when he's working as hard as Johnny is, to just take a day. He had a heckuva day mentally, mental reps behind Josh and Connor and Thad. It was a good day from that standpoint, and we're expecting him to be ready to roll.''

O'Connell, a third-round pick of the Patriots in 2008 who's also spent time with the Lions, Jets, Dolphins and Chargers, didn't have to wait for Manziel to tell him he needed a break.

"Having been there before and been that guy that tried to stay extra and throw to the younger receivers and all that stuff, I'm constantly asking all four guys about how they're feeling and throw counts and all that stuff,'' said O'Connell. "It's something to monitor, and we try to do that. And when there's a situation where something turns into soreness or stiffness in any of their shoulders or arms or whatever it may be, we're going to do whatever we can to get them comfortable again.''

O'Connell, who helped prepare Manziel for the 2014 draft, insisted that it's nothing to worry about.

"Nah,'' he said. "Some guys get the shoulder soreness, some guys get elbow. There's really nothing to make of that, other than just high volume of throws in a short amount of time.''

Before the elbow stiffened, Manziel had strung together four or five stellar practices, including the Orange and Brown scrimmage Friday night, during which he completed 9-of-11 attempts for 93 yards and two touchdowns.

"From day one in the building, in the classroom, he's been phenomenal around Josh and the other quarterbacks and myself and coach (John) DeFilippo,'' said O'Connell. "He's doing everything on a daily basis that we're asking of him and then some and he's really just starting to flourish in playing the position with all things included -- protections, adjustments, blitz pressures, what the defense is trying to do to you. He's just approaching every day as a pro and he's getting better and he's a talented guy.''

O'Connelll has instructed Manziel and the other three quarterbacks to use their legs to extend plays and find the open man. All four quarterbacks on the roster are mobile and have been taking advantage of that in camp with bootlegs, rollouts, and scrambles.

"We talk a lot about their footwork and their base being the foundation of what they do and really using their legs to make throws and letting their legs help them decide if a guy is open or not,'' said O'Connell. "And if the timing is not right with a play, I think the one thing all four of the quarterbacks have done is find completions and understanding the power of completions no matter what the play is, no matter what the situation is.

"When you have playmakers like we do, if you can just put the ball in play, a lot of times find the completion, good things are going to happen.''

O'Connell re-iterated what Pettine said after the scrimmage -- that Manziel is less antsy in the pocket this summer

"His patience and his ability to trust his feet, we talk about that a lot,'' said O'Connell. "Trust his feet and his eyes and with his physical arm talent to make throws, good things are going to happen. You see him getting through his progressions.

"We talk a lot about progressions and protections, and there's a lot of little things you have to focus on playing the quarterback position but when you start getting comfortable with that, the game starts to slow down for guys and guys start to execute at a high level.

Question is, how close is Manziel to being ready to step in for McCown and function in a game if need be?

"Johnny is doing everything that I'm personally asking of him and I'm putting a lot on his plate and he's showing that he can handle it and I'm really proud of him right now,'' said O'Connell.

eotab #984902 08/13/15 08:56 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Good read Mac

I want to see Johnny with the 1's going against a 1 defense. even if it is just a series, it will give us a better idea of where he is at. The game is slowing down, he is more relaxed in the pocket but is he ready to be the man or does he need more time in absorbing the NFL game? I am curious to see where he is at.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Yep I too want to see JF take some reps against/with the ones, but not to fully take away Josh's ability to add chemistry with the ones. Josh needs those first team reps too as I believe we all know he'll be behind center come season opener.

eotab #985016 08/13/15 01:45 PM
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Mike Pettine: No competition between QBs Josh McCown, Johnny Manziel

Cleveland Browns coach Mike Pettine had some interesting insights this week when he did a one-on-one sit-down with Jenny Vrentas of the MMQB at SI.com.

Let’s go through some of the things Pettine said about the team’s quarterback position -- this season and last -- taken in the order they appeared in the story.

This isn’t a competition. Pettine obviously made it clear that Josh McCown is entrenched as the starter. That meshes with everything he’s said throughout camp. The Browns obviously like what they see in Johnny Manziel, but to say he’s closing a gap or competing to start at this point is simply not accurate.

“What has helped this year is Josh knowing he is firmly the No. 1. It’s unfair to look back to a year ago and say, well, Brian Hoyer obviously didn’t help Johnny. They were in a competition.” What happened with Hoyer can be debated at length. He’s now in Houston, trying to win the starting job with the Texans. But I can’t remember the organization being so direct in saying it was unfair to expect Hoyer to be a mentor last season. As Pettine said, the situation was different. In the long run, everyone is responsible for their play and Manziel hurt himself with his actions — and he’s taken steps not to repeat the actions. It’s a gigantic what-if, but it’s worth wondering how Hoyer would have responded had he been given the same support in last season’s camp and during the season that McCown is receiving now.

“What we did not do a good enough job here [last year], not nearly a good enough job, is holding [Manziel] accountable, even when he wasn’t the guy.” This statement meshes with everything Jeremy Fowler and I were told when we wrote about Manziel’s rookie season: He was not acting professionally and in some ways the Browns let him get away with it. Clearly the team believed former quarterback coach Dowell Loggains did not do enough, and they like what Kevin O’Connell is doing. By the time Manziel got his start, Hoyer was struggling (the Colts loss was a mess), but Pettine’s statement makes the decision to start Manziel even more baffling than it seemed last season.

“[Manziel’s] a work in progress, but the will is definitely there. I think he realized he let a lot of people down, and he wants to make amends for it.” While some might quibble with the term “work in progress,” this statement by Pettine reflects where Manziel is right now with the team, and that he has plenty of room to grow. It also reflects what the owner, GM, coach and players have said, and what is evident to the eye: Manziel is doing the work to make himself a better person and player.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_...t-a-competition

Last edited by pblack18707; 08/13/15 01:46 PM.

being a browns fan is like taking your dog to vet every week to be put down...
eotab #985034 08/13/15 02:18 PM
C
Legend
Legend
C

eotab #985042 08/13/15 02:41 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Thanks Cf
In the practice we saw, McCown looked mediocre. Pettine was really excited about a strike McCown threw off his back foot to Taylor Gabriel to convert a first down, against a cornerback who was starting to undercut the route. But many of his throws seemed to lack zip, including a floater into the end zone that was easily picked off by CB Joe Haden.

this is some of the issues I have noticed in the highlight videos and in the scrimmage. Throwing off the back foot for no reason.

Legend
Legend
Quote:
Mike Pettine: No competition between QBs Josh McCown, Johnny Manziel

Probably a good idea to come out and say this because Manziel has been getting a lot of positive press lately for his performance in the scrimmage as well as his practices.. Don't want to let that snowball build too much momentum if Pettine is still set on starting McCown.

yebat' Putin
P
Legend
Legend
P
I don't think it would be smart to let that snowball build momentum even if he isn't set on starting McCown. I believe the last thing they need is another media circus revolving around the QB position no matter what their intent is.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:
It’s a gigantic what-if, but it’s worth wondering how Hoyer would have responded had he been given the same support in last season’s camp and during the season that McCown is receiving now.

Sure I guess..

I mean he was given the starting job.. After a terrible preseason..

But then played (documented) the worst stretch any QB has played EVER.. AND STILL KEPT HIS JOB..

Yeah.. No support whatsoever..

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
eotab #985110 08/13/15 04:59 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
It really doesn't matter too much how good or bad Manziel plays in preseason. Johnny Fragile won't survive an entire NFL season. He will eventually pull the ball down, try to be "Johnny Football" again and some mean ole linebacker will tattoo his ass. He couldn't stay healthy for two entire games last year as a starter. How is he supposed to stay healthy an entire season? Wasted pick.

#BlackLivesMatter #StopAsianHate
eotab #985124 08/13/15 05:42 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
“It’s all going to come down to how he does on the field,” Thomas said. “If he goes and wins games and flips off the commissioner, he might be the most popular guy in the NFL.”

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: ThatGuy
Quote:
It’s a gigantic what-if, but it’s worth wondering how Hoyer would have responded had he been given the same support in last season’s camp and during the season that McCown is receiving now.

Sure I guess..

I mean he was given the starting job.. After a terrible preseason..

But then played (documented) the worst stretch any QB has played EVER.. AND STILL KEPT HIS JOB..

Yeah.. No support whatsoever..

Is the original poster saying that Hoyer's mentality is so fragile that the idea of competition made him a bad QB? Sheesh. I liked Hoyer then and now - he played bad in a series of games and he wasn't a good team mate to JM. He's not with the Browns anymore - but I am sure a segment of the board will continue to bring him up whenever they can.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Until this team actually has a true franchise QB to lead this team, there will probably be 22 names that will come up here and there. Actually, after 15 years of not being able to retain a real QB, can you blame them?

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:
This isn’t a competition.

Great! rolleyes

These guys speak out of both sides of their mouths. They say that there is competition for every job and it doesn't matter where you are drafted. Then, they turn around and say there isn't a competition.

Mixed messages lead to poor results on the field.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Quote:

Great! rolleyes

These guys speak out of both sides of their mouths. They say that there is competition for every job and it doesn't matter where you are drafted. Then, they turn around and say there isn't a competition.

At first I'd agree but I don't think the QB competition is in the same bracket as other positions. At this stage, JM rehab and grasp of the playbook is taking precedence and probably with good cause. I think they are keeping the lid on the hype/pressure on Johnny this way given the fragility of his recovery process. Compare hype and expectations from the media this season as opposed to last. Honestly, to me it looks like QB development done right (or mostly right) in comparison to the Couch, Frye, Quinn, Weeden debacles of yesteryear.
I don't think the QB positional battles are equivalent to the battles at other positions (with the exception of the battles for 3rd/4th string).

#gmstrong
R
Legend
Legend
R
QB competitions are dumb and crippling to a team.

Any other position, have at it.

V
Legend
Legend
V
You are a good poster and I respect your opinion.

I simply think that every position should have open competition. More importantly............I have NEVER believed that ANYONE should have a job HANDED to them. I believe in having to EARN the job.

eotab #985201 08/13/15 08:00 PM
T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
Has been awhile...

JOHNNY FOOTBALL!!!!

WOO!

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
You are a good poster and I respect your opinion.

I simply think that every position should have open competition. More importantly............I have NEVER believed that ANYONE should have a job HANDED to them. I believe in having to EARN the job.

Cheers man. I think that what you say is probably happening, it's just not being discussed openly and probably with the 2 players themselves. Should Josh lay an egg and go 0 and 3, there will very much be competition! I honestly think they are just downplaying for the 2 reasons of letting the QB focus on his own ability, and to keep the media expectations the humdrum we've seen this off-season. With performance being equivalent to job expectancy,you got to believe there is clandestine competition to put the team in the best possible chance to win.

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

Great! rolleyes

Unless he's telling them one thing while telling us another. Heck, there's already "Johnny Play Count" thing going on added to the superlatives sprayed around when he has a good practice, (or as in the scrimmage last Saturday). If Pettine calls it a competition the hype kicks into high gear again.

This way the hype, while still there, is low-keyed.

I have to think that if Johnny is outplaying McCown consistently Pettine will play him. Otherwise I'm more concerned about that than I'd want to be.

It appears Pettine's approach is what he laid-out early in the pre season: The kid just suffered a most embarrassing season last year, all brought on himself. He spent 10 weeks in drug & alcohol rehab which, while a good decision, is a continuation of his embarrassment. He also had to come back to the locker room and ,face-to-face, gain back the trust, if he ever had any, of his teammates who lost confidence in him due to his actions. He had to learn a new playbook after ignoring the one he had last year. He had to work extra hard and show extra commitment in an effort to learn the position and show he's serious this time. He's had to stand strong facing the entire National Media for all his discrepancies. He started out this year having a lot of things to prove to a lot of people and most importantly, himself.

Seems like that's one hell of a big pile of shit to handle when you consider any one of those things would be a tall order for most. I know he brought it all on himself but that just makes the weight of it all the more difficult.

I think that's why Pettine said very early on for Johnny to not concern himself with competing for the starting job and just focus on his recovery and working on becoming a better football player, competing with himself.

You know player's mindsets pretty well I figure. And maybe Pettine is sending mixed messages. But I think he's talking to the players with one message and talking to us with another.

Just saw Riddler's posts and it appears he's saying the same sort of thing.

Last edited by ddubia; 08/13/15 09:35 PM.

#gmstrong
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Originally Posted By: TripleOption
Has been awhile...

JOHNNY FOOTBALL!!!!

WOO!

I only got to see the videos on NFL.com today, so what I saw may not be accurate for all of the plays Manziel was in today - but I noticed something on the very first throw - they really shortened his windup. Unfortunately it looked like he was shotputting a few throws, but it was a massive difference from last year and college. The ball seemed to get out really quickly.

eotab #985492 08/14/15 04:16 AM
C
1st String
1st String
C
That was not a good sign last night. He's only good rolling out,but his accuracy is poor. He's not fast enough to run away from guys at this level either. It's like him and all the WRs are always out of sync,but that should have improved by now after last year,and it hasn't. Very disappointing.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Chrispierce
That was not a good sign last night. He's only good rolling out,but his accuracy is poor. He's not fast enough to run away from guys at this level either. It's like him and all the WRs are always out of sync,but that should have improved by now after last year,and it hasn't. Very disappointing.

Considering where Manziel was at when we last saw him play, the first preseason game was a smashing success.

Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Manziel Continued

Link Copied to Clipboard