Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/browns-sign-db-aaron-ross-095847942--spt.html;_ylt=A0LEVvtEutBVtTsAna0nnIlQ;_ylu=X3oDMTByMjB0aG5zBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNzYw--

These are somewhat strange to me. They are both older players who haven't seen significant action for a while. I vividly remember both being considered great prospects coming out, but haven't heard either name in a while (especially Brown).

I'd have to think they're longshots to make the roster ... remember, vets' contracts are guaranteed if they're on the roster in Week 1. Maybe we are planning to have them here and then bring them back if needed as injuries take place?

Thoughts?

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Ross has been a decent player just unable to stay healthy but Brown just hasn't done much. My guess is these two were brought in due to nagging injuries or to light a fire under the other players' butts.

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/browns-sign-db-aaron-ross-095847942--spt.html;_ylt=A0LEVvtEutBVtTsAna0nnIlQ;_ylu=X3oDMTByMjB0aG5zBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNzYw--

These are somewhat strange to me. They are both older players who haven't seen significant action for a while. I vividly remember both being considered great prospects coming out, but haven't heard either name in a while (especially Brown).

I'd have to think they're longshots to make the roster ... remember, vets' contracts are guaranteed if they're on the roster in Week 1. Maybe we are planning to have them here and then bring them back if needed as injuries take place?

Thoughts?

I am particularly intrigued by Brown as he was relatively highly thought of prior to the 2009 (?) draft. He hasn't made an impact anywhere he has been, so I am not expecting a lot, but then again, who knows...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
Legend
Legend
who?

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
C
Legend
Legend
C
Neither of these guys will make the roster.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Neither of these guys will make the roster.

Maybe not week 1 ... but Farmer may be setting up one/both of them to return in the latter part of the season due to injuries. Their salaries wouldn't be fully guaranteed then.

If they were just camp fodder, I'd think Farmer would bring in younger players and/or rookie FAs to get a look at them.

Bringing in such older guys for the bottom of the roster is not like Farmer

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
P
Legend
Legend
P
After only one year with the team, I don't believe we can say yet what is Farmer and what isn't Farmer. After watching year one, those first round picks and text gate, I sure hope not anyway.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
I think it is just a no stone unturned thing, harmless look to see if there is any value.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Agreed, There is no point in holding onto players u know arent gonna make your 53 nor your PS. If you see guaranteed cuts and they arent really gonna help your other guys improve, replace them with curiosities.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Brown coming out was looked at as a sure stud. I wonder what happened. He has got good physical skills.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Theres no such thing as a sure stud for a pass rusher. There's a reason he lasted to the second round.

Legend
Legend
Thought these were odd signings of no-names. I assume it is for camp reasons; could they be depth insurance for the PS? Doesn't seem cagey at all. Maybe somebody has worsened injury?

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
Legend
So "Play like some other Brown", like, say, Jim instead . . . .

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
both been around a 5 or 6 years just underachievers.

C
1st String
1st String
C
If these guys are not just practice bodies,we are in trouble.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Just churning the bottom of the roster... if you have players you know are not going to make the team... why not take some flyers on guys who might.

Really what's the harm?

#gmstrong

A smart person knows what to say.

A wise person knows whether or not to say it.
Legend
Legend
Best thing I can come up with on Brown is they are worried about Mingo's injury.

Ross has to be a response to Gilbert being flawlessclueless and Desir's hammy. That and Gaines giving up too many. Poyer didn't exactly show up in a good way, either. Bademosi has been playing himself out of a job at the scrimmage and on Thursday. IIRC Ross has spent time at both corner and safety.

Last edited by clevesteve; 08/17/15 09:52 AM.
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: clevesteve
Best thing I can come up with on Brown is they are worried about Mingo's injury.

Ross has to be a response to Gilbert being flawlessclueless and Desir's hammy. That and Gaines giving up too many. Poyer didn't exactly show up in a good way, either. Bademosi has been playing himself out of a job at the scrimmage and on Thursday. IIRC Ross has spent time at both corner and safety.

Maybe Ross will take over the old man safety spot left vacant by Leonhard retiring.

R
Legend
Legend
R
Apparently, Gilbert was epically bad in the Bills practice today. What I assume are Bills reporters were tweeting and making fun of him.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Rishuz
Apparently, Gilbert was epically bad in the Bills practice today. What I assume are Bills reporters were tweeting and making fun of him.

Buffalo writers are going to town on him. It's been repeated several times before but it's not about skill or athleticism. The dude is clearly not mentally into it and we've all heard about the work either issues.

Ugh.

Tackles are tackles.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
Buffalo writers are going to town on him.

It seems they still have a burr up their butt about "the trade". I admit it is a bit disconcerting that Gilbert has not adapted to the mental part of the game. Still too soon to give up on him, however by this time next year, if no improvement...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
P
Legend
Legend
P
People can say what they wish, but when you have the 8th pick overall failing miserably at his position with little to no improvement entering season 2, there's cause for alarm.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
People can say what they wish, but when you have the 8th pick overall failing miserably at his position with little to no improvement entering season 2, there's cause for alarm.

Big time alarm IMO ... and if you read the reports from practice today ... yeah, Gilbert is struggling.

If he wasn't drafted in the 1st round would he be a cut possibility? Most likely IMO

C
Legend
Legend
C
It's not just Buffalo guys.

https://twitter.com/NateUlrichABJ/status/633344760900534272:

I didn't see #Browns CB Justin Gilbert break up a pass. I think he gave up a catch every time he was targeted. Never seen such a rough day.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
It's not just Buffalo guys.

https://twitter.com/NateUlrichABJ/status/633344760900534272:

I didn't see #Browns CB Justin Gilbert break up a pass. I think he gave up a catch every time he was targeted. Never seen such a rough day.

Justin's version of playing flawlessly is giving up five plus steps on his defender, letting them catch untested balls and basically just looking like a lost child.

I just don't think the secondary wants to play with Justin. I wouldn't want to be Gipson always having to baby Gilberts defender as well as taking care of my own assignments.

Legend
Legend
he would have already been cut if he didn't represent $10MM in dead money if he were cut, so I agree with you.

At this point, I kind of wonder if he's trying top get himself cut.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: clevesteve
he would have already been cut if he didn't represent $10MM in dead money if he were cut, so I agree with you.

At this point, I kind of wonder if he's trying top get himself cut.

It would be pretty unprecedented for the 8th overall pick to get cut just one year into his career. If Morris Claiborne can stick around with the Cowboys, then Gilbert will be on our team for awhile.

To be sure, the only thing keeping Gilbert on the roster is where he was drafted.

Legend
Legend
Right now we just have to hope that he can become a great KR ...... because he's really struggling badly at CB. We have to hope the Browns can recoup something from their investment in him.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Not looking good for Farmer...I started calling Justin Gilbert very early last year Justin Miller (who was a highly drafted CB out of Clemson probably 5-6 years ago who pretty much busted at CB, but was a better returner and I think he even made a pro bowl in that position too) Gilbert just doesn't have that 6th sense that CBs have.

E
Legend
Legend
E
And our next outing he will make some good plays and he'll be talked about in becoming our starter...lol

Look he hasn't changed. He is the same Gilbert. He is our 4th CB...Tell any team to start their 4th CB in the NFL and they will struggle...well he's our 4th...not our first round pick #8 overall...that is history. That is why it will be difficult to cut him but teams don't normally cut their young #4 CBs who have a lot of potential. So I don't think we consider cutting him.

9+ in dead money if we do but not why we won't cut him unless he becomes a cancer he is here.

New guys possible 53 competition. Veteran who possibly can turn their careers around. You never know. We obviously aren't relying on them to be starters..Possibly some depth if they stud out great...if they get cut Turk day thank you for having reps in our camp. We got to go 4deep in every position during preseason. So good to have some vets in that depth.

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
P
Legend
Legend
P
Those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

#gmstrong
E
Legend
Legend
E
And it is those who lose everything that usually take a look at history and try to do it right.

Gilbert, I think he wants to get better but he concentrated on the wrong things. He concentrated and worked hard at his conditioning more than his STUDIES. Working on his footwork and turns and hips and all that. Meanwhile DeSir was here conditioning but spending time in the film room studying film asking questions studying it again.

Again I really wish to see him play cause I do say talk is cheap got to see it on the field. But I believe it when it is said the game is slowing down for him...very very important for a 2nd year player. IMO that is what is slowing down the progress of Gilbert.

Hopefully these two Ross and Brown are working hard at their trade cause usually that is the #1 reason for highly talented individuals failing in the NFL.

jmho

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

P
Legend
Legend
P
I think our main bone of contention is about where a player was drafted. You seem to indicate that you don't feel draft status is important after you're drafted. Once you're drafted, you're simply another player. This is where I disagree. The investment is very important when looking at the results.

To me, your viewpoint is like saying when you spend 70k on an Escalade, that once it's purchased, it's no different than the 1976 Pinto in your driveway. That just because the Pinto runs better than the Escalade, we shouldn't be expecting more from the Escalade than the Pinto. I believe the investment is a clear indicator of the expectations.

I'm sure you're right that Gilbert wants to get better. I believe that holds true for the vast majority of NFL players. After all, that's most likely the best opportunity they will ever have at long term wealth.

The question then becomes if they can ever reach that physical potential they hold. I want to see him play too, but so far from pre season to the reports coming out of Buffalo, until he steps it up a few notches, I sure don't want to see him play in regular season games. For some reason I expect more than that from my Escalade.

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I think it's possible they're not liking what they're seeing out of Orchard and or Mingo, and they brought in Brown simply to create some more depth and or competition? I remember really liking Brown a few years ago when he came out of Florida State.

Aaron Ross might be here just for depth? or to push Gilbert more?

Desire is injured too, so there's that...

I'll be interested to see how much play time they each get these next few preseason games.

"You can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave"
V
Legend
Legend
V
Kinda hard to say that Giblert "wants" to get better when he says things like:

--I would rather sleep in than watch film like Williams.
and
--When asked to say if the goal was to start, he responds with "We'll see what happens."

We also have to consider how he vowed to improve last year and then got suspended for the last game of the year for being late to a meeting.

I don't buy into tab's assertion that he wants to get better and is getting better. I think he has sucked from day one and continues to suck.

Oh, forgot this quote:

"Flawless." That's after making two boneheaded plays in less than a quarter. The play on the sideline was WORSE than the letting the Skins receiver run deep.

This guy's attitude kinda reminds me of Gordon's. Entitled, lazy, self-centered punk.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Ross was brought in because we have several injured corners. Brown was brought in, as Pettine said, so that players didn't have to play out of position and could be evaluated properly.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Nah...unfortunately you can't compare.

What I'm saying as fans and medias if you wish to praise or criticize decisions that is all fine and dandy.

As far as a football team and the evaluation of football its not about the draft pick. DIRECTLY. Keep in mind indirectly there are some factors.
1. Raw Talent there is a reason why a player would be chosen that high and that usually means they have incredible physical abilities that transfer to potential.

2. Contract, Obviously a length of contract, guarantee money is way different from a First round top 10 prospect than a late first round or obviously a late round pick.
So economics will play into any Roster decisions.

3. Football wise is evaluated with potential and progress for the young players. But its a football team they are piecing together. Gilbert is a perfect example. On the football field he is evaluated to be behind DeSir and as a football player DeSir has risen in the depth charts ahead of Gilbert.

4. Most team would extend more latitude for the prospect to progress and reach their potential, yes most definitely because of the investment which means POTENTIAL involved.

But you got at least on this team - a Solomon moving ahead of Mingo, a DeSir moving ahead of Gilbert. It has to do with Football player.

Players might look at their peers with some envy for the nice contract. But most are judged and evaluated by their football play and value to the team and yes future POTENTIAL is part of that equation in value.

I hope I made my position more clear. There are factors yes that come with draft status. But 90% of all evaluation is football based.

jmhObservations

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog

This guy's attitude kinda reminds me of Gordon's. Entitled, lazy, self-centered punk.

Not saying it's the same for Josh, but I think Gilbert has next to no confidence in himself and doesn't trust, at all, the things that the coaches are drilling him, about techniques and etc.

He's crashing and burning and the media has made him a top target of their articles. Don't think he has "one second memory" needed with corners.

V
Legend
Legend
V
You gotta remember who drafted/acquired whom before you start heaping out praise about who has moved ahead of other players on the depth chart.

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns Sign Aaron Ross and Everette Brown

Link Copied to Clipboard