Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/13600480/austin-davis-flies-cleveland-expected-sign-browns
Sources: Austin Davis flying to Cleveland, expected to sign

Former St. Louis Rams quarterback Austin Davis is flying to Cleveland on Sunday night for a visit and a physical with the Cleveland Browns, according to sources. If all goes well with the Browns' roster maneuvering, Davis is expected to sign a contract with the team.

Davis started eight games for the Rams last year, throwing for 2,001 yards, 12 touchdowns and nine interceptions. The Rams cut Davis on Saturday, and he cleared waivers today. The Browns have been interested in Davis since the spring, when they inquired about his services.

Davis will join a quarterback room with Josh McCown and Johnny Manziel.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Good, I liked him coming out of college.

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
This will make QB #3.. the need for Pryor diminishes... I wonder who will be cut to make room for Davis.

The Cleveland Browns - WE KNOW QUARTERBACKS ( Look at how many we've had ... )
T
All Pro
All Pro
T
It's pretty obvious that the OP is just pushing his agenda for forum format. It's so frustrating that you can't have a simple thread without an agenda.

Refs, please remove this obnoxious thread before this entire forum is overran by more threads that someone could sift through to find info.

Wise words spoken by sages
From SkyTel to BlackBerry pagers
Legend
Legend
I remember him from last year ... he started like 6 games for the Rams with a mid 80s rating

They drafted Mannion in the 3rd round this year and rumor has it Davis was not okay with being the 3rd QB/PS material ... so they cut him

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I like Davis. He maintained his cool quite well behind the colander of a line in StL. The biggest negatives I see are that he is from a small school and has a lot of growing to do as a Qb and that his arm strength could be better. If he doesn't progress into a regular starting Qb at some point, I believe that it will be because of that lack of a cannon arm.

And yes, I would take Davis over Cassel. Davis is young, has room to develop and has shown promise. Cassel if well past his peak and on the downside of his career. He has shown what he can do, which isn't much. And now he isn't even that good anymore. Plus, We will pay Davis less than Cassel.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
They drafted Mannion in he 3rd round this year and rumor has it Davis was not okay with being the 3rd QB/PS material ... so they cut him

And what role does he envision he will have here, if not OK w 3rd QB/PS?

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: Jester
I like Davis. He maintained his cool quite well behind the colander of a line in StL. The biggest negatives I see are that he is from a small school and has a lot of growing to do as a Qb and that his arm strength could be better. If he doesn't progress into a regular starting Qb at some point, I believe that it will be because of that lack of a cannon arm.

And yes, I would take Davis over Cassel. Davis is young, has room to develop and has shown promise. Cassel if well past his peak and on the downside of his career. He has shown what he can do, which isn't much. And now he isn't even that good anymore. Plus, We will pay Davis less than Cassel.

Excuse me for saying so but you can change out Cassel and insert McCown, and better yet I would take Cassel over McCown any day of the week.

Davis is a good grab and better then McCown our starter...

Now just how friggin sad is that?

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Can't believe I am in a group that is comprised of the best NOT just fans but people on the planet.
E
Legend
Legend
E
If he is on this team - why would it be sad...why not praise the team for solidifying their QB unit. McCown, Manziel and Davis who has to learn our play book. With the change in Manziel. This unit far exceeds the QB unit we had last year.

Good move if we make it. Who to go? Carder? FB Johnson? I think Carder will go.

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: tab
If he is on this team - why would it be sad...why not praise the team for solidifying their QB unit.

When you get a guy off the waver and he is better then your starter that is SAD....

Now you know

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Can't believe I am in a group that is comprised of the best NOT just fans but people on the planet.
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: CapCity Dawg
They drafted Mannion in he 3rd round this year and rumor has it Davis was not okay with being the 3rd QB/PS material ... so they cut him

And what role does he envision he will have here, if not OK w 3rd QB/PS?

with the other QBs on our team? i would think a chance to become the starter.

being a browns fan is like taking your dog to vet every week to be put down...
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I would definitely agree. You have a 36 year old QB that holds the ball to long and an undersized QB that likes to use his legs. If Davis can continue to improve upon his accuracy, he can be a good QB in this league.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
oops.....

Last edited by pblack18707; 09/07/15 09:04 AM.

Legend
Legend
Bademosi? Is he cuttable at this point?

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
E
Legend
Legend
E
Come on BTTB...just what has McCown shown over this Training camp that he is worse? He is coming here to be our #3 QB already you have him pegged as Better.

McCown played well in two games and struggled in one. We knew who he was - if pressured and I believe we took out Joe Thomas after the first quarter and Mack. Against probably the best DL in the NFL and they applied pressure. Its been no secret McCown will not fair well in mayhem. But his completion % is 76% despite the bad game. We never had a QB come close to that as a starter - probably not close in Preseason - he is an accurate passer. An improvement on last year. Btw, % for preseason QBs. Hoyer didn't make the top 50 list.

Davis is our #3 a big time upgrade on Lewis. Props to our staff for at least giving it a shot, we didn't sign him yet right? If he leaves here we will know it wasn't successful.

So don't wish to jump the gun but a very good move if we make it. And I don't think we just sign anyone. This is a guy we wanted a while ago.

jmho

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

D
Legend
Legend
D
Why wold we go into the season with three QB's on the roster?

I get they were interested since spring, as they should IMO, but something is up.

If they sign him, I literally can't see Pryor making it. Him as that "oh no" third QB option was what I felt was his only big leverage.

Does this put JF on the cutting block? Like I said, I think something is going on...

Last edited by Dawg_LB; 09/07/15 09:54 AM.
U
All Pro
All Pro
U
I like Davis, and he might be the best option for the Browns this year as soon as he learns the playbook and gets comfortable with the offense. He's not a world-beater, but he isn't exactly competing with the best here either.

Really, with the addition of Davis, having McCown start is of almost no value to the Browns. He is 36 and not the long-term answer, and once Davis learns the playbook he is just as capable of keeping the seat warm for Manziel, while also offering potential long-term upside that McCown doesn't.

I'm very interested to see how this plays out.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Dawg_LB
Does this put JF on the cutting block? Like I said, I think something is going on...

No, I don't believe so. Perhaps the FO thinks JM's arm is worse than originally thought, and thet are trying for protection against possibly putting him on IR or whatever. I don't pretend to know...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
D
Legend
Legend
D
I was thinking that maybe Manziel's elbow didn't respond to being rested. Could he be going to the IR-Return list?

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: tab
Come on BTTB...just what has McCown shown over this Training camp that he is worse? He is coming here to be our #3 QB already you have him pegged as Better.

What he has shown is that he can make the 5 yard toss and have a high completion percentage doing so. And he has also proven that he has the longest and slowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwest wind up EVER.

Which amounts to him telegraphing his throws and as long as he sticks to the short passes he can get those tosses in before the CB closes in on his telegraphed throws.

I admit to knowing little about Davis but he can't be worse its nearly impossible for that to be so.

After the Jets game you'll be a believer.

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:
Could he be going to the IR-Return list?

This is my thinking too.

Tackles are tackles.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Brown to the Bone
After the Jets game you'll be a believer.

Against one of the best defences, the best secondary, and in their ballpark. This is not a good matchup, so give him a couple more games to get a better perspective...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
Quote:
Could he be going to the IR-Return list?

This is my thinking too.

I can see that train of thought...again I step back and try to get some logic. It could be that way.

I'm thinking though, If so - why would we cut Lewis when we did. When Davis becomes available and we sign him...that is the time to cut LEWIS. and that is IF Manziel's arm is more than suspect right now.

We tried to trade for Davis after the Rams got Foles. We like Davis. Now he can be a Brown. I think we were going to simply add a QB to the Practice Squad but when Davis became available we are giving him a shot to sign him. I don't think there are any underlying reasons other than - for a 3rd choice of a starter...he's good enough so that is not an automatic loss. Which would be the case with most teams.

jmho

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

L
Legend
Legend
L
Here's an old scouting report on him FWIW...:

Austin Davis

Southern Mississippi

Ht. 6-2 Wt. 221

Strengths: Davis really came on strong during his senior season. He has a compact delivery and solid mechanics from the feet up. Davis is a four-year starter for Southern Miss. He throws a very catchable ball and has solid accuracy on short to intermediate throws. He’s an above-average athlete that can be a threat to pull the ball down and make plays. His athleticism makes him dangerous on the run as he can pull it down and throws well on the run. He makes good decisions with the football and could be considered a game manager.

Weaknesses: Lacks the velocity on throws down the field and may struggle in the NFL throwing into tight windows. His accuracy greatly decreases on throws down the field. He will have to learn to take snaps from center as he worked primarily out of the shotgun in college. Davis isn’t likely to be much more than a career backup.

Bottom Line: Davis has a relatively low ceiling and isn’t likely to progress much from where he is currently. He will get drafted because of the upside he brings as an athlete and brings some versatility as a long term project.

Draft Projection: Davis will get drafted late and should go in the 6th-7th round range.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Quote:
Why wold we go into the season with three QB's on the roster?

pettine said he wants at least 3 QBs on the roster and maybe 4. after what happen last year i can not blame him.

Legend
Legend
little arm strength and accuracy down the field? BLAH ... I hate hearing that stuff

I do know he's fairly athletic though

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
B
Legend
Legend
B
little arm strength and accuracy down the field? BLAH ... I hate hearing that stuff

I do know he's fairly athletic though

That is ok, IMO. He is the 3rd guy. If he is playing we aren't going to be running the full playbook, and I like a 3rd QB who can run some. I have no problems with this move.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
L
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
L
so we got another `connor shaw`

I`m good with Baker... Playoffs is good enough for me.
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Last season, Sep 14, Davis and McCown went head to head, as the Rams beat the Bucs 19-17.

Davis..22/29..235 yds..0 td...0 int

McCown..16/21..179 yds..0 td..1 int

For the season, Davis' stats..

starts..record..cmp...att...comp%...yds...td..int....y/g....rate.....qbr......sk...4QC...gwd

..8......3-5.....180...284...63.4.....2001..12...9....200....85.1....37.63....29....1......2..

Some obvious concerns..29 sacks in 8 starts..I don't know that the Rams OLine was that bad. I'm guessing that Davis might have some issues recognizing where to go with the ball and might have an issue, hanging onto the ball too long.

I see him as a raw talent, still learning the game with this being his 4 season and the Browns being his 4th team.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Legend
Legend
The Rams' OL was that bad, which is why the third QB was playing in the first place.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Bard Dawg

I hope so!

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Couldn't find 2014 stats but Sam Bradford had 15 sacks in 7 games in 2013. And he is a much more seasoned Qb.

http://www.nfl.com/player/sambradford/497095/careerstats

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: 3rd_and_20
Originally Posted By: Bard Dawg

I hope so!

Why does everyone want to cut Bademosi? He is an absolute beast on special teams, and is, in fact, our best special teams player, period. He is the best gunner on this team, and often buries returners as soon as they get the ball. If special teams are going to help us win games, we are going to need players who help us win special teams.

Bademosi is one of those guys.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
L
Legend
Legend
L
He's not a pro bowler therefore useless

gmstrong

-----------------

C
Legend
Legend
C
Gaines got placed on IR designated to return to open up a spot for Davis. I don't know if I would have used that slot on Gaines.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Cleveland Browns sign QB Austin Davis

The Cleveland Browns have added another quarterback.

The team on Monday announced it had signed Austin Davis just two days after he was released by the St. Louis Rams.

Davis provides insurance behind veteran starter Josh McCown and second-year backup Johnny Manziel, who continues to deal with the sore elbow that kept him out of Cleveland's final two preseason bouts.

In his fourth season, Davis gave the Rams a rash of up-and-down moments last season, starting eight games and tossing 12 touchdowns against nine picks in the process. He showed more flair than Manziel, who crumbled during a nightmarish two-start meltdown last December.

The Browns have been looking for a savior under center for two-plus decades. Davis won't play that role, but he could very well see the field in 2015. After all, Cleveland has seen two or more passers start games in every season since 2001.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000523606/article/cleveland-browns-sign-qb-austin-davis

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Gaines got placed on IR designated to return to open up a spot for Davis. I don't know if I would have used that slot on Gaines.

We used it on Hughes last year, and that was in late October. There were only 2 games left when he was eligible to return, IIRC.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
L
Legend
Legend
L
He's just insurance. Of his nine interceptions last year, four were pick sixes. I like that he's got some experience and his td/int ratio is not awful

gmstrong

-----------------

P
Legend
Legend
P
I don't see it as a big deal either way. I don't see it as a downgrade to Thad Lewis. If anything, at the least I would feel it's at the very least a slight upgrade. As of this moment, it seems people are making a big deal out of every little move. From the 53 man roster about Lenz who wasn't picked up for the practice squad by 31 other teams, to wanting to sign a QB prospect we can't put on the practice squad.

I'm just riding it out for now.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
I don't see it as a big deal either way. I don't see it as a downgrade to Thad Lewis. If anything, at the least I would feel it's at the very least a slight upgrade. As of this moment, it seems people are making a big deal out of every little move. From the 53 man roster about Lenz who wasn't picked up for the practice squad by 31 other teams, to wanting to sign a QB prospect we can't put on the practice squad.

I'm just riding it out for now.

think lenz is just checking out other rosters. i think he will be on our PS in the end.

funny though. Vince Mayle to the Cowboys practice squad.

Mary Kay Cabot ‏@MaryKayCabot 39m39 minutes ago
.@dpbrugler has been told that #Browns 4th round WR Vince Mayle, cut Saturday, will be signed to the #Cowboys practice squad.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Sources: Austin Davis flying to Cleveland, expected to sign

Link Copied to Clipboard