Thread Like Summary
Hammer, mgh888
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by PitDAWG
PitDAWG
Who we pick in the first round will hinge on who is picked before us. In last years draft I felt we had lost out on JOK after not drafting him in round 1. I guess that's why they get paid the big bucks and we don't. Those teams who drafted after us made it possible that he was still there in round 2. So who every team picks before and after us in round 1 and ahead of us in round 2 determines who is left in the talent pool at our pick. I didn't see another topic in this forum that had yet addressed other teams picks or mock drafts. For me it's still a little early for a mock draft.

I don't think we need to draft a QB this year. But there has been a lot of talk about Malik Willis. So I thought starting out with where he may end up would be a good start.

Todd McShay says Pittsburgh.....

2022 NFL Draft: Todd McShay projects Malik Willis as Steelers' next QB in Mock 2.0

Between now and the 2022 NFL Draft, multiple quarterbacks will likely shuffle in and out of the supposed No. 1 spot at the position, and one team that might be looking for its quarterback of the future are the Pittsburgh Steelers. There does not seem to be a particularly strong consensus on how Liberty's Malik Willis, Pittsburgh's Kenny Pickett and Ole Miss' Matt Corral measure up against each other, although perhaps Corral has dropped below the other two somewhat. The question of Willis vs. Pickett could be a matter of taste due to their contrasting styles, and Todd McShay explained Thursday on Get Up why he projected Willis to the Steelers at No. 17 overall in his latest mock draft.

"He's a dynamic athlete — that's what you get, first and foremost," McShay said. "He's a guy who can extend plays and legitimately give you a numbers advantage in the run game. That's why I think the Steelers could possibly move up for him because they have a great defense, they have a strong run game — let's lean in on that.

"Where he has to improve upon, even though he has the biggest arm of all the quarterbacks in this class, is his efficiency inside the pocket. As his head coach said, Hugh Freeze, coming out of Liberty — I talked to him for a half hour on the sideline at the Senior Bowl — he said, 'He doesn't know what he doesn't know yet.' There's going to be a learning curve for him in the NFL, in terms of understanding what defenses are trying to do to him."

McShay currently has Pickett as the first quarterback selected at No. 11 overall to the Washington Commanders. It is uncommon for no quarterbacks to go in the top 10, but that could be a possibility this year due to a lack of elite prospects at the position.

Although McShay said that Willis has a long way to go in terms of polish, his athletic traits are undeniable.

"Now, the good news is — because of that mobility, he can get himself out of a lot of trouble," McShay said. "But it's going to be a little bit of a learning curve, as I said, for him. It might be two or three years, a little bit like Jalen Hurts, in terms of the development of him becoming a complete quarterback. But right away, you get a guy — if he makes a mistake — who can get himself out of those mistakes with his unbelievable mobility and explosive speed."

McShay said Wednesday on SportsCenter that Willis and Najee Harris could form a formidable tandem in the backfield even before Willis emerges as a polished passer.

"This could be a great situation for the Steelers because they have a really good defense, they have a strong running game," McShay said. "They can lean into that, make him a numbers advantage in the run game and then kind of accelerate with what they have, in terms of strength."

https://247sports.com/college/ohio-...5QM5QgeYFcKEvlHP48kXBhWTv7vxsme9QYjqSKxc

I certainly think his projection makes sense.
Liked Replies
by bonefish
bonefish
Just a guess.

But with the trade that KC made of Tyreek Hill to Miami.

IMO KC finds a way to land Jameson Williams. Andy loves speed.

Williams has crazy speed. He didn't run a 40 because of his ACL.

But when you watch the tape. You don't need a stop watch. He is the fastest guy on the field on every play.

My guess is he would run 4.2 something. He blows past people.
1 member likes this
by Versatile Dog
Versatile Dog
j/c:

This is a bold prediction because not too many analysts are talking about it, but I could see Atlanta taking Malik Willis. He needs time to develop. Sit him behind Mariotta for a year or so and then unleash him. I'm not as sold on him as others, but I've given up evaluating collegiate QBs. Too many variables that make it hard to determine if they will transition successfully to the NFL.
1 member likes this